Are we being too hard on the game? Just my two cents

Discussion in 'Titanfall 2 News & Discussion' started by OGkraken, Jan 31, 2017.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. OGkraken

OGkraken Generation 3

first let me set somethings straight. I LOVE titanfall 2, but I also realize that it is not a perfect game and has a few issues. I played tf1 on Xbox and I loved it, and I feel as if tf2 has improved on MOST of the issues it had. While the shift towards pilot v pilot is disconcerting to some people (I actually prefer pvp combat unless it's LTS, I'm a certified tryhard ) I believe Respawn can find a middle ground. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I can't shake the feeling that we're being too hard on the game. Tf2 wasn't given near as much attention by ea by marketing or development, and they STILL offered all completely free DLC. I have no doubts that they are working on many more gamemodes/maps. I've taken a college level course in computer programming, it took me almost a month to put together a shitty frogger-esque game. Granted I was new to programming in general but my point is: It takes TIME for games to be made. I'm sure respawn will come clutch in the end.

I'm not saying we're wrong for criticizing the game, but I also think we should take things like this into consideration.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Trini Chinese

Trini Chinese Generation 7

i agree with you to a certain extent, i agree that any game it is hard work and a very skilled art in making a video game . but in all and all while gamers critic can be hard at time , it's better to be honest and keep the views coming good and bad as this is a lesson not just for respawn but for other DEV's and to the publishers

for me i support Respawn and what they have created. hence when i see some silly mistakes or a lack of info from them and the publishers and am disappointed with certain things i am really disappointed as for me i was expecting better that the first . .granted the second installment is a great game and stands strong in it's own light . but i feel incomplete as the first game left such a great taste in my mouth i wanted more of that . and even doe part 2 is out it does not give me that satisfaction like the first .

and it's the odd choose to remove elements that work great in part 1 was removed not tweaked but removed has never sat well with me. while i can understand sometimes why they did it . i still can't help to think that they could have done better as they when above and beyond with the first and this is a second round and i have had high expectation for them as i know how good they are in what they do.

so am hard on them due to what i may like and what i want to see from them as we know what they are capable off what they can do .

• Like Like x 3
  3. OGkraken

OGkraken Generation 3

Can you list some specifics?

4. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

It has it's flaws, every game does. However, I absolutely love it and play it every day.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Derrame

Derrame Generation 6

I look the whole picture, the single players is excellent, 10/10, the MP is very good, i like it a lot, i play every day, but there are some flaws, for example, too few maps, crash site is very bad for titans, the first dlc was only Tone nerf and one map, the second is a mode without Titans, the leveling process, it's just useless to level up or regenereate, only to unlock camos, skins?

yes, development takes, time but a company with real developers know what they are doing
    we offer feedback, they decide what to do

• Like Like x 2
  6. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I appreciate you posing the question, but I am actually shocked there is not more criticism of the game, the developers or Respawn.

Let me preface this with a couple of things, because I don't recall seeing your user name before, so you may not be familiar with these things:
    1) I am a computer programmer and have to create and deploy databases and applications for a global enterprise and they have to be rock solid on day 1 they are in use.
    2) I support Respawn when they do good. Titanfall (or TF1) was my absolute hands down favorite video game of all time and nothing else has even been close. Also, they did an absolutely excellent job on the Single Player Campaign in Titanfall 2 (or TF2).
    3) However, just because they've produced some good things does not mean I am not going to be critical of them when they do things I disagree with. Actually, I am going to be more critical, because they've already proven they can do great things.

OK, now please allow me to address some of your points:

I completely disagree. I probably played TF1 for an average of at least 4 hours/day for 2 years and 7 months prior to TF2 coming out, so I believe I know what it's flaws were as well as anyone. Here are what I believe it's flaws were:
    1) Absolutely non-existent matchmaking algorithm.
    2) Absolutely no anti-cheat system.
    3) Friendly interference - you shouldn't have be be bouncing off of teammates when close to them.
    4) Lack of continuity between in-game chat and between game chat. In other words, if someone typed something right before you entered a game and you missed it, you couldn't see it until that game was over.

They improved none of these things and in most cases made them worse:
    1) They made matchmaking worse by still not having a good matchmaking algorithm, but by creating an FPS clan magnet by completely changing the game to be a traditional FPS game.
    2) They haven't lifted a finger to implement any type of anti-cheat system.
    3) They've made friendly interference MUCH WORSE, especially in titans. Try moving where you want when in a gaggle of 3 or 4 titans. Not fun!
    4) They not only didn't they close the continuity gap in chat, but made it worse, where now you can't see what was typed in-game once the game is over. Also, there is no continuity with the players on both teams now. It extracts everyone into the entire pool and creates a game from scratch with no regard to who you were with before.

I'm sorry, but they don't get to blame EA for any of their shortcomings. When corporate IT puts restrictions or handcuffs on my team, or even if my boss wants to take things in a direction I wouldn't go if it was my choice, I still take pride in my work and I am going to do whatever it takes to put out the best application for my users, because it is a reflection on me.

OK, this "free" DLC propaganda has just got to stop. This allowed them to put out an incomplete game, 60% of the maps TF1 had at launch.

Even if they are it is probably going to be too little too late. They've already stated what they are going to release through March, which is 5 months after launch. This will include only the 11th map. TF1 had 15 maps at launch and had 21 maps in about the same timeframe where TF2 will have 11. Not to mention, they were getting paid for DLC for TF1 and only supported it for 7 months after release. Using the same timeframe, I wouldn't expect much support beyond May. They were also not working on a Star Wars game while supporting TF1, which they are with TF2.

You were just a student. These guys are top of their field and make a living doing this stuff. They know it like the back of their hand. Plus, as I mentioned above, support for TF1 COMPLETELY ENDED in October 2014. Therefore, they had 2 complete years from the end of TF1 support until the release of TF2. For a top notch team of between 40 and 70 people, which they had, while working on nothing else during that time, they had more than enough time to thoroughly complete a game that had at least as many maps as the first game. They also had plenty of time to develop a rock solid matchmaking algorithm. You just have to decide that you want to do it.

(Let me preface this part by saying I know there are a few exceptions to this, such as Ik0n, who love both games, but I think they are the rare exceptions, because they loved traditional FPS games before they played TF1, so they now have no problem with the changes made.)
    Also, there is an elephant in the room here that doesn't get mentioned enough, which unnecessarily cost them MASSIVE amounts of time and killed any seamlessness from TF1 to TF2, which makes it now monumental (2 months) just to port one freaking map. They basically gave the middle finger to all of those who absolutely loved TF1 exactly as it was in all of it's beautiful uniqueness, which was that it was not a traditional FPS game. They completely and unnecessarily changed the core functionality of almost ever facet of the game in order to tailor the game to the traditional FPS crowd, because I believe they live in a bubble with that crowd and got an earful from them, because they hated TF1, because they couldn't get their precious kills streaks.

My point is the core functionality of TF1 was absolutely perfect. You didn't need to change anything. All you had to do was add some new maps, some new weapons, some new titans (but still fully customizable). Can you imagine how many awesome maps you could have created if you didn't waste so much damn time unnecessarily changing almost everything the game?

I'm sorry, but they deserve ZERO sympathy, ZERO patience and franky I'm getting tired of people defending them.

If they do something right, I will be the first to stand up and cheer, but other than the Single Player Campaign, I have not seem them make very many good decisions since October 2014.

• Like Like x 5
  7. OGkraken

OGkraken Generation 3

#7 OGkraken, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    I understand what you're saying, but is chat continuity that important? Friendly interface, okay yea I get that. Matchmaking? Completely screwed. Haven't met any hackers yet but that could be a problem in the future. None of these really made titanfall 1 a good game. What was a core part of tf1 that you felt was completely erased? The thing I felt was wrong with tf1 was the lack of depth. Tf2 has definitely solved the content issue (save for maps..) having "character" titans allows for more depth during LTS as counter picking has been added to the meta. Before it was hard to know what you were going up against when you faced a titan. Now you see a tone you know exactly what he can do and how to counter it (kinda like overwatch). More weapons is greatly appreciated, I feel that bounty hunt is the evolution of attrition and more inclusive to newer players.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I just seen this screenshot and it basically mirrors how @ensc feels about Titanfall 2...

[​IMG]

And going from MW1 to MW2 wasn't a drastic change. They did everything you wanted them to do with Titanfall 2, just added more weapons, maps, perks, etc. Then you have people still complaining saying the first one is better because there was no innovation or change. It's a lose-lose for developers so I'm glad that they did what they thought was right with TF2.

Also, I love a lot more than "traditional FPS" as I told you I grew up playing Unreal. Also, as much as you don't want to believe it, Titanfall (yes even Titanfall 1) plays extremely similar to Call of Duty.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Getmused

Getmused Generation 4

I think we all know the issues we had and have with TF2 when comparing TF1 but some of the "decisions" being made from a marketing point is ridiculous. The decision to launch live fire before adding maps is bewildering. What respawn created, flaws included is outstanding but what they're choosing to do with the content deserves some questioning.

No real advertising
    Launching between 2 huge gaming franchises

Someone on the EA forum brought up a good point that I agree with; respawn should offer free playing time during the live fire launch. Then drop the digital price for a weekend in hopes of getting new players.

I know for certain that some don't like titanfall bc it's too chaotic but there are others who haven't played titanfall that would eat it up.

They should also do everything in their power to release as many TF1 maps as fast as possible. Plenty of TF2 players haven't experienced TF1 maps. I know some may not want retreaded maps but to me this game (TF2) needs more maps for its most popular game modes

• Like Like x 3
  10. OGkraken

OGkraken Generation 3

Well said

11. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

Yes. Absolutely.

12. Trini Chinese

what was lost is the warzone epic feel when playing the game , a reduced AI present has been lost , from sound and that living map / world that one would get when playing part 1 . the feeling like there is something more going on that just a vs match up each map in titanfall 1 felt like you were somewhere fighting for something which ever side you may be on.

I disagree with bounty hunt being the evolution of Attrition , it's no ware close to a evolution , it may be a fun concept but no ware close . all bounty hunt is are set locations with AI spawning with predictable quantity . titanfall 1 had Ai all around the map on both sides AI fighting AI / AI fighting human players / Pilots fighting Pilots , Pilots hacking enemy bots , pilots hacking AUTO turrets , all of this all around the map not set locations .

character titans and i will agree make for some interesting gaming and gives a visual advantage to what one will be fighting , so am ok with the lock in cores , not the main guns or weapons for a titan , while we get new things to a titan in part 2 we lose a lot of thing from part 1 , it's like taking one step forward and two steps back , what was the point of this then . they make the titans unique but restrict a pilot form choosing there guns for there titans . what is the difference if an ION titan carried a 40 MM rather than a splinter rifle, or a shotgun or like a chain gun . what i like about titanfall 1 titans was that i made my titan my own from the selection i had and other players did the same . i used my kit to my advantage some times it worked sometimes it did not at lease i had control of my kit like i did with my pilot kit.

the feeling like i am playing in a specific faction when i am in multiplayer , as on screen as a pilot i chose to be the 6/4 and the other team may be the Apex , but both halo pilots look the same on both teams , both grapple pilots look the same , even the Stim pilot and the phase shift both look the same on ether team which ever faction one plays, i play as a MERC in part 1 my pilot looks different to the pilot as a IMC.

we lost the choice to carry as a pilot weapons for titans and secondary weapons like pistols .

keep in mind that the timer was removed and only introduced due to the uproar and issue that titan game play was limited due to this removal . and was implemented back ,

i wanted a enhanced game to the original , but i get the feeling of forced limitations. it's like telling me hey the plane is too heavy to take off with all the guns you need or would use to be fighting and replace them with broom sticks painted black .

if titanfall 1 had the camo's and prime titan models alone i would have been good , because when one think of it we wanted more titan weapons what did we really get a shotgun which is a new weapon but you only could play with that 1 titan if you want to play with that gun . how is this depth is beyond me .

is titanfall 2 what that new word is called Alternate Facts

• Like Like x 1
  13. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I had to give this a thumbs up simply because Hayno08 is really hot. :) Thanks for sharing Ik0n. I think she could persuade me to play COD. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. ThirdGuyver

ThirdGuyver Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

In short, yes

15. Kingkat54

Kingkat54 Generation 7

I have read the posts and I see everyone's point. What is surprising, is that some game manufacturers always try to improve an already good product. Like the COD series, or MOH and even BF. They always hype what's new and exciting, when (in my opinion only) the gamers/buyers just want some newer maps, newer game modes, some character skins and a few weps. Look at the recent success of the remastered COD:MW4 (?) A lot of people bought it and have really enjoyed. I am NOT saying that Respawn, nor the designers made a bad game in TF2, its wonderful on its own, but sometimes I think they need to listen a little more to what the players want, and not just sales targets. Personally, I would love to see a "remastered" BFBC2. Its still popular and I still play it. Maybe what I am saying is that game fans might simply want a "mod" for their game? Build on the base game and make improvements. Not sure, but I will always play TF series. It was a very unique game that I still love and enjoy.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Hmm...

The main complaint for CoD fans for quite some time was "not enough innovation or change" saying they didn't want to pay $60 for basically a re-skinned version of the game. Then when developers change it up and try something new, it's met with just as much hostility, I've never understood it. Once I didn't like CoD anymore (after MW2) I simply stopped playing and/or buying it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Getmused

Getmused Generation 4

I think we just love titanfall so much it feels weird calling out and critiquing head scratching decisions

• Like Like x 2
  18. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Decisions like marketing / release date have nothing to do with Respawn though, those are all up to developers. I think EA thought that if they released two games in the CoD window that they could try to drag their sales numbers down and it backfired on Titanfall because it doesn't have an established base community like Battlefield with only having one previous game on the record.

19. Trini Chinese

i soooo wish they did this make a remastered bad company 2 , please , part 1 and part 2 i would pay full price for this .

i agree with the mod part , as i am also curious what the pc mod community would have come up with , towards titanfall .

bad company series from part 1 to part 2 is a perfect example of making a game better that the first. in many ways , Dice implemented improvements to the second game from the first and it was amazing , if they were to make a part 3 ohhh boy i am in for sure .

20. Trini Chinese

this is the text book answer to what ea said to the media.
    before they had done this many have said this was a bad idea. and i have said this before there are too many red flags with this launch way too many. and this is possible way for EA to buy Respawn and the titanfall rights. and make them an internal dev. that and also like you said also ma way to drop market shares for COD.