Arguments in favor of SBMM & "Game is Dying"

Discussion in 'General Titanfall discussion' started by FunkyLobster, Dec 27, 2016.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I am with you 1000% brother. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, because it feels good to know I am not alone on some of these things.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Omega82

Omega82 Generation 5

The main issue right now is the matchmaking. I don't know if it's sbmm or what but this is starting to feel like advanced warfare. It's not that the games are just lopsided its the players I'm going up against feel too good. Or just as good. I don't care how good a game is designed , it can have the best gameplay mechanics ever if the matchmaking system is not right it will ruin any game. Sure Simply putting sbmm in the code will help the lopsided games however you still won't be doing good individually. You will be playing even and the games you feel will be extremely competitive. The match needs to have a mix of both good and average players. Now I'm seeing too many good players just on one team , I don't know if that's sbmm or party teams but its extremely noticeable right now.

As far as it playing like call of duty , well it is to a large extent. But it's not one dimensional in that way , this game can still be played very diversely . Also keep in mind there are MILLIONS of people who like call of duty. I don't think it's a mistake to open titanfall up to some of that style . When the matchmaking feels right this game is so fun to play. But of course the game is very twitchy and people who don't like that will end up not liking Tf2. I'm simply just saying that Tf2 offers twitch shooting and the titanfall gameplay combined. But it won't be a fun game if the matchmaking doesn't improve CORRECTLY.

I never played Tf1 so I'm sure it's hard to see a game you loved change in the manner it did in Tf2 but I still love the game. As far as titans not lasting long enough , I'm just thinking that may have been a complaint from the first game , maybe people felt they were too over powered ? I just see it as maybe Respawn didn't want titanfall to feel just strictly like a MECH game , I think they want to have the Pilots as significant as the titans. So in this game the pilots are stronger and they have a bigger impact.

Your reply was great though , you listed a lot of specific things and details about the game

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pitch_Invader

Pitch_Invader Generation 2

4. Pitch_Invader

Quick update: tonight I unlocked the "Flatline" rifle and it has made a world of difference. I'm still rubbish at Titans, but at least now I am not in the bottom 3 or 4 players each match. :)

One other thing I forgot to mention that I like are the boosts, the hovering aiming ability, and grappling an enemy and pulling yourself into them and punch killing them. That is hilarious. The sliding on the knees thing is meh.

Anyway, tonight I enjoyed things more, and I played the 8 Pack random mode.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Omega82

Omega82 Generation 5

I think the Car and Volt are terrific guns for med to close range fights. Long range to medium range I would go with hemlock, g2,Devotion these guns are terrific and devastating . Knowing the maps and taking your time can help a lot. Also using the map and having good awareness is very important. When you are involved in a gun fight and the other guy is getting the better of you quickly pull away and get out of there. wait to heal and then reform your position and try to attack again.

Boost abilities , maybe you should go with the sentry guns and the amped weapons, these 2 will help you out a lot until you became better at the game.

Titans , I'm using Ion . I think he offers alittke more than Tone. But both Tone and Ion are awesome and I recommend new players using them first. I haven't even touched the other titans yet because I'm still having so much fun with Ion

6. Pitch_Invader

Thanks for your suggestions. I've lately been concentrating on the L-STAR, which is an amazing weapon for a couple reasons: it's easy to hipfire, you don't have to reload (unless you fire through a whole magazine, but if you stop a shot short, it refreshes), and it has awesome damage. It's great for closer range shooting. You can't really track someone at distance with it though, so I use the Flatline when it's a map where it's advantageous to shoot someone across a rooftop.

I agree with you that players see too good for a game that just came out. I hit level 50 in about a week of playing and haven't regenerated, but I'm already facing players with multiple regens and thousands of kills, like they've been playing the game for 6 months.

I think the new engine improves the lag issues on T1. I was having a hard time with the new look because to me it feels like the engine is not pumping enough frames per second to make motion look smooth, but I'm starting to think this was a trade-off so that the servers are pumping less data (?). Maybe.

It does still feel very Call of Duty Modern Warfare-ish. I have had to alter my playing style to compete at all. I like the new maps but I miss things like the data knife and activating turrets. I still can't really figure out the titans. I tried to do a suicide attack last night on 3 titans that were clustered together and they predictably pulled me out and executed me. The only titan that seems capable of dealing with pilots trying to jump on is the Ronin.

Still lots of good things in the game, it's just a totally different game although it shares some mechanics with T1. I have had to get used to the idea of getting killed 10 or 20 times in a match, and it's interesting to me that they don't record this anymore.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the game more now but I'm feeling like T1 is still going to be an option going forward because T2 just feels so different.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Yup, they made so many unnecessary changes to dumb the game down and make it more like a traditional FPS game.

Yup, these are all a result of the dumbing down. You shouldn't have to get used to getting killed 10 or 20 times a match. And, of course that is why they don't want to show deaths, because they wanted a lot more easy kills, but they don't want to discourage you by showing you how many times you died.

It is a completely different game and shouldn't even have the Titanfall name in it. It should be called Call of Duty: Titan Edition.

This is the one positive thing about it though. I expected TF2 to build from the core of TF1 and just have stronger titans, faster titans, wallrunning titans and just have better graphics and some new amazing maps. I expected that I would be able to just bring all the skills I took 2 years and 7 months honing and translate those right into TF2 and that it would be so much fun that I would almost never even want to got back to TF1. However, because this game shouldn't even be added to the Titanfall stable of games, it gives me a good reason to still play TF1 every day and put much more time in it than TF2.

8. Omega82

Omega82 Generation 5

I never knew about the L star that sounds awesome , I'm gonna try it out. Ion is great at dealing with pilots with his sniper cannon. I have tried Tone and Ion and they are both awesome and easy to play with. If Tf1 is as different as you guys are sayin than it seems like it was more of just a mech game , and really didn't offer a lot of options with the "shooter" element and guns. Tf2 put more of a focus on the shooter element which I feel it performs brilliantly in that regard , and it most likely nerfed the Titans . I don't have many BAD games just once in awhile. Usually I do very good in the modes I play in. I still feel there's room for BOTH preferences in this franchise going forward. Tf1 was more about the titans , Tf2 was more about the pilots and the shooter aspect , Future updates or Tf3 can combine both these aspects better and satisfy both sides.

9. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I disagree with this Omega, but I understand you never played TF1, so I don't blame you. You are just trying to interpret what we have said about TF1. I felt TF1 was much more balanced whether I was a pilot or a titan. I felt extremely powerful as either.

In my opinion, Titans were much better in TF1 than they are in TF2, because they were all much faster, much stronger and had regenerating shields. You could also choose whatever chassis you wanted and then completely customize every aspect of your loadout to suit exactly the play style you preferred. Once you found a combination that worked for you, it was like heaven and you felt invincible. However, you only felt that way. You weren't really, because others felt the same way and pilots were as much of a threat as titans.

As a pilot, you could carry a primary, a secondary (pistol) and an anti-titan weapon. Also, the rodeoing system was different. You could actually kill a titan fairly quickly by rodeoing him. Heck with the Spitfire LMG and Leadwall option you could completely kill a fresh titan with one clip. Since titans knew you could kill them if you rodeoed them, pilots inside would behave much differently in TF2 where they have little fear of death from a rodeo. Most pilots would get out and try to kill you. Or, they would depend on their buddies punching you off. I got the point where I am so good as a pilot against titans, I can jump in the middle of 3 titans and take 2 of them down and sometimes all 3 and that's even with some other pilots on their team shooting at me at the same time. Do you think that would ever be possible in TF2? NO WAY!!! If you tried to jump between 3 titans, you'd be dead before you even got close. See, what I would do is use the Sidewinder as my anti-titan weapon and start shooing one as I am running right at him, I jump on him like I am going to rodeo him, but then immediately jump off making sure to change direction in the air, and continue shooting at him as I'm in the air, then as soon as I land, I would either rush him or one of the other 2 titans and as soon as I landed on him, I would immediaely jump off and just rinse and repeat that until they were all dead or they were lucky enough to get me. Do you know how awesome and powerful that feels? Not only was I taking down 2 or 3 titans, but I was tying them up and the 1 or 2 other pilots that were trying to get me, so they were not scoring points doing anything else. This was also very entertaining, because it was funny watching pilots get out as soon as you rodeoed their titan and then when they saw you jumped off they would get back in right as you landed on it again, and so on... :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

First, TF1 offered plenty of shooter options.

Respectully, I have to disagree with this. I know you seem to really like what you are calling this "twitchy" shooter thing. Personally, it is one of the things I hate the most and I think it was a serious downgrade to the game.

It is really hard to put a finger on it, but in TF1 you had so much better situational awareness. You always, for the most part, knew who was around you, you knew when you were being attacked, what direction it was coming from and usually you could even tell exactly what weapon it was that was hitting you. AND, you had time to react.

In TF2, the sound effects don't offer assistance, the minimap doesn't offer assistance and the strength of all the weapons in relation to the amount of pilot health offers you zero time to react. So, what you end up with is, you didn't even know anyone was around you, you didn't even know you were being attacked (much less from what direction) and all you get is "BOOM" white shock flash and your dead and you are like "WTF?" Pretty much 1-shot killed from any pilot or titan weapon and you had no clue where it came from or what it was. Maybe you like that, but that is total horse manure in my opinion.

I really wish you could play TF1 so you could see for yourself and not have to go by what any of us say.

11. Trini Chinese

Trini Chinese Generation 7

#51 Trini Chinese, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    well said , i do agree with your take on the games needs a mix as to keep new and non or casual players interested in the game . and yes the game will have a drop in players when unbalance and in a way the multiplayer experience combined with little intricate things that titan fall 1 have like the mix of AI in the game modes made the game flow as it makes even the best players take caution as the game play can BE Unpredictable at times. This is my take on the tread and the post . i understand what you mean . cheers

• Like Like x 2
  12. Omega82

Omega82 Generation 5

Well I like being able to carry the 3 guns in Tf1 and having the customization of the titans so those points I would agree with you. Although having the titans in Tf2 having their own unique abilities and play style I don't feel is wrong either. Your strategies have to be different for each titan which basically is awesome when you really think about it. Customization is great but maybe it becomes too easy and you don't have to work so hard to master the titans . I don't feel either approach is wrong , they are both equally good when you consider each perspective of the design. The problem might be Ion and Tone get used too much because they are the Ryu and Ken version of street fighter. The other titans are harder to use and take more strategy and patience. So this is a potential problem .

As far as the pilots being poweful in Tf1, your description of taking down the 3 titans sounds extremely action packed and thrilling. BUT(haha) I feel like in Tf2 the Titans get taken out too fast as it is , now if they can get taken out even faster in Tf1 I'm not totally sure that's a better method. But I'm not gonna argue the Titans are better in Tf2 I'm just describing different scenarios to this discussion. Because for instance I know someone who doesn't like Attrition because he doesn't like how fast the pilots take out your Titan , well if he had been playing Tf1 then I'm sure he would HATE it lmao. I don't put too much stock into what his opinions are but I'm just giving you a different interpretation .

• Like Like x 2
  13. Omega82

Omega82 Generation 5

Ok so your saying Tf1 was less twitchy? I'm trying to understand exactly what the difference was with the "shooter" element in both of these games. For instance in Tf2 I feel like I have the control and precision to take out a pilot from close range to long range with no problems at all. I don't feel the game gets in my way at all from doing that MEANING I feel like the performance of the guns , the Recticles of the guns , the responsiveness , and accuracy is basically all perfect . So now in Tf1 would I not be able to do the same thing ? In other words if I saw a pilot at med range running around or whatever would i not have the SAME ability to take him out just as fast as I do in Tf2? Because according to respawn I believe they said you have more control of the guns in Tf2 and it enables you to shoot more accurately.
    Let's take Angel City for example since this is the PERFECT way to offer up comparisons between Tf1 and Tf2 since the same map is in both those games. I find Angel City to be a campy map in Tf2, although I love how Angel City looks and it gives you so many buildings to run off of people play the map very CAMPY. Like they will sit on tall buildings and shoot you from long range all game. So are you telling me this didn't happen in Tf1? Were you not able to kill someone easily at long range ?

Yes I heard the maps gave you more intel in Tf1, um if people are really having problems with the situational awareness in Tf2 then respawn should give us some more intel to make it easier . Is this why you get killed so fast in attrition mode ? See I just find once you learn the map you discover how people like to play each map. For the most part people will always have patterns and tendencies, so when you learn the flow of each map and how people like to play them it HELPS you do better because now you know what to expect and where to find easy targets. But this can only be achieved by playing the maps and learning from them and evolving as a player. Yea if someone gets Tf2 and they die 20 times and they cry and quit then that is exactly what would happen in almost every shooter on the market lol. Especially if someone isn't use to this kind of fast shooter style and quick time to kill , the learning curve is high. But they can either quit or keep playing and learn the patterns of the map and become better

• Like Like x 1
  14. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I'm sorry if I am giving the wrong impression here, but it is tough, because you haven't played TF1. I'm just trying to make the point that in TF1, if you knew what you were doing, pilots and titans were on the same level. I felt equally strong as either. Sure, I would have preferred to have a walking metal tank wrapped around me, but I wasn't affraid to take on 3 of those tanks myself, because I was just that good. Now, if I was one of 3 titans in a group (which would only happen by accident, because I frown upon coordinating), and some pilot thought he was going to be in the middle of us and take us on, with me being there, he wouldn't last a second, whether he tried to jump on me or one of the others first. If I was in my titan, their only chance was to have me outnumbered and cornered at the same time. My overall point though is that if you were willing to learn the skills, you could be equally strong as a pilot or titan in TF1. That is not the case in TF2. Being slower and without regenerating shields, you might as well be fighting from inside a cardboard box than in a titan. They are like a disposable Boost as I've seen someone else mention. However, as fragile as they are, they unbelievably have overwhelming superiority over pilots. I'm not sure, but I believe the person you mentioned who doesn't like attrition, because the titans get taken out too fast may not realize that it is the other titans taking them out, not the pilots, especially not at close range anyway. Sure, titans get taken down way too fast by other titans, but not by pilots.

Here are the reasons I feel that pilots are weaker against titans in TF2:
    1) MOST IMPORTANT: Titans are given way too much benefit of the doubt. If you were near a titan in TF1, titans were almost a little slow and stupid with relation to a pilot, as it should be. A 20 foot hunk of metal is not going to react as quickly as a 6 foot human. If you got anywhere in the vacinity of the head of a titan, it gave it to you and you were on it. In TF2, you jump at a titan and it is like it gives them way too much time to react, take a step backwards and then shoot you and that is total BS. It is also like you almost have to land perfectly on the very center of the head of the titan or it won't give it to you. See, in the first game, even if a guy knew my jumping on and jumping off game, and even if he was a pretty good player, he would still have to have super fast reflexes and get lucky enough to guess the direction I jumped off, otherwise he was not going to get me before I jumped back on him again. Why? Becuase, as it should be, it was built in that a big hunk of metal is not going to have as fast of a reaction time as a human.
    2) Rodeo Joke - When you rodeo a fresh titan or even if he has any health left at all, he doesn't have to have any fear that your rodeoing that time is going to kill him. Where in the first one, a good pilot could take down a fresh titan in one rodeo.
    3) No good Anti-Titan close range assault weapon - see, they took the best Anti-Titan weapon, the Sidewinder and modified it and moved it to be a Primary weapon. It's not as powerful against titans and as a Primary weapon, there are many others I prefer to have. In TF1, I could have whatever primary weapon I wanted, but also carry the much stronger Sidewinder to take down the titans as I was doing my jumping on and off game. See the other beautiful thing about the Sidewinder as an Anti-Titan weapons was that the sound was not that far off from some regular pilot weapons, so a titan couldn't distinguish it as well. As opposed to say the Mag Launcher, which anyone can hear that annoying thing a mile away going DOINK, DOINK, DOINK.

15. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

OK, again, and I am not trying to argue with you here, and it is very tough to describe, because I know you have not played TF1. I felt the guns were very accurate in TF1 at the ranges they were supposed to be for whatever their type was, but you had to have skill. It is just so hard to describe the difference, but I would say it like this:

TF1:
    Defensive perspective:
    The situational awareness was almost perfect and perhaps I didn't even realize how perfect it was until I saw how bad it was in TF2.
    -the minimap gave you great feedback, if you heard a shot, you saw a precise round dot on the map, not a cone in a general direction
    -there was a red arrow pointing at you from the direction damage was coming
    -you could almost feel the damage coming and what direction it was coming from
    -the sound effects of the guns were perfect and you could almost always tell what you were being shot at with
    Pilot health seemed to be in great balance with most of the weapons.
    -short of certain situations (execution, Kraber, shotgun to head), you could sense the damage and have enough health left to react

Offensive perspective:
    -you had to actually aim with all weapons (not saying down the sights necessarily, but you had to have good aiming skill)
    -some weapons you could not just hip fire, but actually did need to aim down the sights (especially at medium to long ranges)
    -you had to really try hard to take a pilot out, because in most cases they were going to have a little time to react

TF2:
    Defensive perspective:
    The situational awareness is garbage. I would actually say that the situational awareness in TF2 is a crappy as the non-existent matchmaking was in TF1.
    -the minimap offers no help at all
    -you don't know damage is coming before you are dead
    -the sound effects of other guns are not as distinctive when you are on the receiving end
    Pilot health is too low for most of the weapons in the game.
    -in almost all cases, you didn't even know you were being attacked and it is just "BOOM", white shock flash and you're dead

Offensive perspective:
    -you don't really have to have great aiming skill (it is almost like everyone has some type of aim assist hack turned on)
    -you can pretty much hip fire any gun even at medium and long ranges (which is rediculous)
    -you don't have to try too hard, because pretty much every weapon 1-shot kills and the pilot just hears "BOOM" and sees that white shock flash crap not knowing what happened