Badly optimized??

Discussion in 'Titanfall PC' started by CallumAppleton, Feb 16, 2014.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. CallumAppleton

CallumAppleton Generation 2

Today ive started getting a big FPS drop for some reason and its not my PC because i have a MSI 280x :s anyone else having these problems? I mean lol i can run bf4 maxed out yet Titanfall is being a b*tch :s

2. Chaz

Chaz Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

As far as I can tell, Titanfall is pretty well optimized. Source is such an amazing engine to use for making games.

As far as your FPS drops, you could be experiencing some latency or stuttering. If you've been able to run it fine previously, and then today started seeing problems, you can't really call that poor optimization.

3. IchiroXx

IchiroXx Generation 1

If it was an optimization problem with your PC I doubt it would be a one off thing although at the same time my computer can run BF4 on max graphics aswell but I don't seem to be having trouble with FPS drops on Titanfall

4. D2ultima

D2ultima Generation 4

If your texture resolution is set to "insane" and you've maxed all the other issues, you simply are running out of video RAM. The game uses 3.6-3.8GB of video memory, and your card only has 3GB. You did not list your CPU, but I will say if you have a dual core or something and you're pushing max graphics, it'll get choked in the amount of information it can send to your video card, even if you had enough video memory.

5. CallumAppleton

Doubt that pal

6. TtargetPractice

TtargetPractice Generation 2

It might be a little easier to help you understand what's occurring if you listed your specs, pal.

7. D2ultima

D2ultima Generation 4

You doubt... what?

8. CallumAppleton

My specs are

AMD FX 8350 (8 core)
    8GB Memory (RAM)
    And GPU is as said 270x

oh and running 8.1 dont think you need more than that

9. KingOfGaems

KingOfGaems Helpin' you in the best way, day by day.
    Elite Pilot

You cannot run Insane with less than 3GB. Even Vince Zampella stated that also over twitter. It takes over 3GB of VRAM.

10. D2ultima

D2ultima Generation 4

I have 4GB video cards. The game used NO LESS than 3.6GB of video RAM while playing at 1080p on insane textures. Nope, you don't have enough video memory. You need to use "high". Unless they further optimize it later; in which case 2GB might be sufficient. Either way, I'm quite glad I got my 4GB vram cards because I knew games would start using more than 2 eventually.

• Like Like x 1
  11. CallumAppleton

#11 CallumAppleton, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
    Just realised i put 280x and not a 270x sorry for that but you get the point!

12. CallumAppleton

#12 CallumAppleton, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
    Wow thats disapointing! I mean
    Wow thats disappointing, I mean the graphics are not even good and your saying it need more, that's crap, this is clearly badly optimised if it uses so much for so little, i mean wow absolute crap. also i run the game perfect, like i said every now and then it dropped so again absolute crap.

And i love the game, no hate on that.

13. CallumAppleton

No its not pal :)

14. D2ultima

D2ultima Generation 4

The graphics actually look quite high resolution on "insane", so I don't feel like it's that badly optimized. I mean, I got 80-100fps with 16xQ CSAA with everything else on high and "insane" texture resolution on a single video card. Some parts of the game though do look worse than others; it has a bit of an inconsistency with texture quality, however I find it quite decently optimized otherwise. The game COULD however do with implementation of SMAA as it's far more efficient (and better looking) than MSAA/CSAA. That's pretty much the only thing that bugged me about it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. CallumAppleton

Sa you can see in this video this guy could play it maxed out 60fps solid dont saying that its demanding
    im just saying every now and then i had issues for example after 3 games on game would be laggy and fps would drop but if i re launched the game or went onto the next game it was fine

16. CallumAppleton

But its not a great looking game i dont see were you coming from? OK graphics dont always make the game good but they are not good (graphics), they were not bad, but if you saying they are great then that means cod graphics are amazing, titanfall is better than cod yes and i do not support Call of Duty but what you are saying is wrong the grapics are cod like well a little bit better sure but cod like. I maxed it out so i know what im saying, im not making up sh*t. im only saying this because you were saying that this game is very demanding when it should not be. What im saying is if it was amazing graphics and very demanding sure i get the point of why it would be demanding, but the graphics are simply not that good to be so demanding on GPU cards especially saying over 3gb. It just does not make sense but that the BETA has optimization issues, kind of like FSX.

Again not hating on ther gameplay just questioning what you said.

Sorry for my bad grammar

17. D2ultima

D2ultima Generation 4

I didn't say the game was very demanding at all, simply that insane textures require a lot of memory. Memory that most people don't have, because most games don't use more than 1.5-2GB of video memory. Therefore most people never bought 4GB video cards, though there are versions of the GTX 680, 760 and 770 with 4GB memory. The 780 and 780Ti have 3GB each, the AMD 7970 and R9 280x have 3GB buffers and the GTX Titan has 7GB and the R9 290x has 5GB (if I remember correctly). The load on the graphics isn't particularly huge, it's just how much memory is needed for the textures.

Also, I think the game does look pretty good. It definitely looks better than CoD, in my opinion. Maybe Black Ops 2 was a bit similar in looks, but that game ran worse than Titanfall did.

And yeah, the graphics are cod-ish because that's what they're accustomed making. The engine change doesn't matter that much. I was saying I'm more glad that someone's taking advantage of the higher memory on GPUs these days, because the only games that REALLY eat up GPU memory otherwise are the Arma 2 and Arma 3 games; with DayZ Arma 2 mod using up 2.6GB of video memory. BF4 spikes to 2.2-2.5 sometimes, but it generally sits around 2GB, which is why you don't have many issues with it.

18. CallumAppleton

But your saying that the textures are using all the gpu ram to load? but there's nothing great to load -_-

19. D2ultima

D2ultima Generation 4

Texture quality and texture resolution are not the same thing. Texture quality is how good the textures look. Texture resolution is the size of the textures. A game not looking good is due to either purely bad or simply outdated textures. Their textures are a high resolution. It says nothing about how good they actually look. If your textures are a huge resolution, it reduces aliasing and makes things sharper. Their texture quality and art aesthetics are what you're disliking. The texture resolution size being that high is what I'm happy that devs are finally using.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Monolyth

Monolyth Generation 10
    Elite Pilot

@D2ultima very well stated.

I'm not sure I trust the claim of 1080p on that video, sure his camera captures @ 1080p but I'm pretty sure his game was not running @ 1080p. If you look in his "About" he even states his resolution is 1366x768. He also didn't bother to actually go into his video settings. Given the reduced resolution it is very possible he could run the game with Insane, but without confirmation of his video settings we'll never really know.

• Like Like x 1