Can we talk Battlemarks?!?

Discussion in 'Titanfall 360 & Xbox One' started by BigDaddyHotGue, Nov 19, 2014.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. BigDaddyHotGue

BigDaddyHotGue Generation 4
    Elite Pilot

Okay... I know Respawn has said that they're still tweaking the Battlemarks thing and it is clearly BETA at the moment but damn man... How in the world could I have gone 12 Pilots, 5 Titans, 37 Minions all dead with only 1 death myself all coming up to a grand total of 110 Attrition points (more than doubling the next pilot on our team) and STILL LOST A BATTLEMARK!?! I mean... c'mon man! Whatchagottado to keep 'em in the diamond level?!? Yikes!

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

check this out

http://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/2klo81/how_ranked_play_works_and_changes/

• Like Like x 1
  3. BigDaddyHotGue

Elite Pilot

#3 BigDaddyHotGue, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    Can always count you you Sgt_rawk! Thanks for that. I think the missing part is the rest of the figures for calculating gaining or losing Battlemarks in general. I haven't found anything yet that tells me what ration (K/D or other) you need to get in any given game type and and what level of Battlemark (diamond, platinum, gold, etc.) before you either gain or lose a Battlemark...?? Clearly, killing 14 pilots and only dying once on an Attrition match isn't enough to 'keep' a Battlemark at the diamond level 1 or 2. I haven't seen the breakdown by level anywhere... have you??

<BigDaddyHotGue edit:> I've read through that post again Sgt_rawk. I think I understand correctly that there is no 'absolute' score with Battlemarks because it is calculating based on the skill of the other players in the match. It's actually harder to gain Battlemarks by playing against lower skilled players! Which is the way it probably should be for this type of ranking. Really interesting!!

It's also interesting to note: "... These changes are rolling out now, and will continue to roll out over the next few hours. It's possible during the roll out that you may encounter some servers that are updated and some the aren't, so please be patient." I know his post was 22 days ago but I still wonder if the Australian server(s) have been updated at all yet...?!?

4. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

I think that they would fairly coy about how the actual thing works until such time as they have it pinned down if at all. I've done a pretty exhaustive search and can't find any solid numbers about how it actually works, I did see someone say that it may work on how well others are doing as well. He did mention that anyone with a high level diamond would be pretty rare. I must admit I've not read it in its entirety. I am level 4 platinum and have found that I have to put on some pretty good shows to even rate a mention and it seems to fair easier to get a damaged point or lose one than gain one.

5. Aedan

Aedan Generation 1

Yea, the battlemark system does need to be tweaked. i have had a few matches where i have done badly for my standards but still gotten battlemarks.the most annoying part is playing with incompetent teammates that let the other team rampage around the map with five titans while my team has none. The worst part is you cant score enough points to earn battlemarks because you will be too busy hiding from a titan army waiting for your next titan. only to have it destroyed in a 3-1 battle lasting 15 seconds. this is coming from a diamond V player.

6. BigDaddyHotGue

Elite Pilot

Diamond V... that's impressive! I've only gotten as high as Diamond III. Even more annoying for me because the game is frequently not saving my progress. All earned rank chips and daily challenges are being reset to some random time in the past. I could do awesome and earn enough battle marks to jump up in rank... but when I shut down the game and come back later... all is lost. Really frustrating.

One thing I would say is that if you're the top player on your team... you should be protected from losing battle marks. And if you're the top player for the whole match... you should be guaranteed to gain a battle mark no matter what. I can't even count the number of times I'll have 2 battle marks with 3 seconds left to go only to lose one in the end and still be top player for the whole match. That just doesn't seem right. More tweaking for battle marks is definitely needed...!!

7. BigDaddyHotGue

Elite Pilot

I've come to the conclusion... after many many (many!) hours of playing around with the Rank Chip (Battlemark) feature... it is crap.

The game is still fun and I do still enjoy playing the best FPS out for XB1 - but the Rank Chips ranking and scoring still needs a LOT of work. The so called updated/upgrades that @Sgt_rawk correctly pointed out at this Reddit link: http://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/2klo81/how_ranked_play_works_and_changes/
    have not been applied to the Australian server(s). Or... they've been applied and they're not working.

I generally hover around Diamond 2 or 3 rank and have been knocked back to Platinum 5 and up as high as Diamond 3 for no apparent reason whatsoever. I've been top scorer for both my team and the whole match. I've been top ranked player (not just points but supposedly rank chip score) for both my team and the whole match and still lost Battlemarks. If you're reading this and haven't read the great info at the link above, please do. Just don't expect that it works - specially if you're on Australian servers.

8. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

If you shut down the game without backing out of the lobby you will lose all progress in that session. I found this out the hard way when I was competing the look out below challenge, I had completed it, shut down without backing out and bang...:(

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

There are a whole bunch of variables and chips are awarded based on a fairly complex set of factors read below to get an idea...

"Where do Battlemark goals come from? How does the Rank Chip evaluate your performance? The short version is that the Rank Chip is constantly evaluating all the players in the game and scoring them based on their performance compared to the skill and performance of all the other players in the game. What does that mean?

When you play ranked, the Rank Chip builds a graph of player skills and scores. It uses this graph to correlate game mode points to skill. Let's see how that graph is built and used.

First the game evaluates the skill of each player in the game, based on their past win and loss record and who it was that they won or lost against. This determines the "match skill range" axis of the graph.

Next it looks at how well each player is playing the game mode. This data forms data points on the graph. How many game-mode points and kills are players getting? How much are they dying?

Finally it compares each player's performance with the other players in the graph. If your current rank is Silver III but you played at a Platinum II level, then it will reward you with more Battlemarks than if you played at a Gold II level. This insures that it takes a roughly similar amount of games for any player to reach their true rank, regardless of skill.

In regards to it being harder to rank up against low skilled players, it is true that if the players in the game are mostly low skill, you will have to get a much higher score to rank up than you would if you were playing against people of your own skill.

When the Rank Chip compares performance, it is comparing the rate of score, not absolute score, of players. This is to account for join in progress. A late joining player must be present in the match for a certain amount of time before their score is fully weighted.

Sometimes at very high ranks you can get edge cases where the game expects you to get possibly unattainable amounts of points. The changes below should improve this situation, but keep in mind that high levels of Diamond Rank are meant to be a rarity among players.

There is an inherent random factor in the skill graph system. This is why Battlemarks provide a margin of error. Each Battlemark may be damaged before it can be lost, and Battlemarks are repaired when you win a new one. The Rank Chip errs slightly in your favor"

It is still in beta as well, so it will take further adjustments to get it right. But, what I have realised is that I expected it to work like the levelling system, it works more like matchmaking in some respects. It appears to over engineered to some degree. I hear your frustration however. Hope this helps a bit. BTW the bold is mine, not the authors.

10. BigDaddyHotGue

Elite Pilot

Yeah... you know... I read all that in the Reddit post. And I've read the raging debate about the different possible methodologies there too. It is all fascinating to read about. I've also found that you can press the "Y" button at the end of matches on the Rank Chip score screen to see how you've done against all the other players in the last match. A really cool feature!

I can't even count the number of times I've been top ranked against all other players - by the Rank Chip's own accounting... and yet 'lost' Battlemarks. As you've quite rightly said... it is still beta code and I do hope they continue to work the algorithms to tweak it further.

Two suggestions I'd give them: 1) have the ability to switch off Ranked Chip Play going into a match. Right now, you can switch it on within a count-down timer before a match starts but you can't switch it off the same way. And 2) If you're the top scorer for your team, you should be protected from losing a Battlemark - and if you're the top scorer for the whole match you should be guaranteed to gain one Battlemark.

For me... I think I've finally come to a much happier place and I've stopped counting the Battlemarks completely. I used to get really frustrated over losing some and really confused when I'd gain some in other matches. I'll just leave the thing switched off and stop being so competitive on the Battlemark thing!! I think it still needs work and I'll just try not to notice it while it's still in beta testing...!! :D

11. BigDaddyHotGue

Elite Pilot

Hmmmmm..... I'll have to really watch and pay attention to how I'm quitting out of the game. I can say that I don't ever just switch it off without backing out to the 'private lobby' screen. Maybe I should try backing out all the way to the title screen every time to see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the tip! I'll see if I can track that as a cause/reason for losing progress!!

12. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

Not a bad idea...see if that's the issue. I just switch off my machine often because I have a family. Ha!

13. rainman0211

rainman0211 Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Yeah that sucks. But lately if you play LTS you won't lose balltemarks. Don't know if the glitch is still active but it was working a few days ago.

14. Eurynomestolas

Eurynomestolas Generation 1

It was that the team you were versing was not great and sense your a higher ranked player the game expected you to do more than 110 remember 3 stars is 150 attrition points