Can't get the hang of this.. :(

Discussion in 'Titanfall 360 & Xbox One' started by Thraka, Nov 13, 2014.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Thraka

Thraka Generation 1

I really want to like playing this on the XBone. But I cannot get the hang of it. I'm a PC gamer (didn't realize this was on PC because I don't have origin, only steam) and I'm having a super hard time.

At first, the first 10 games or so, I was doing really decent. But now, it's horrible. I cannot tell if it is just the match making service is really screwing me over. Does it just sit there and say "Oh you're level 28, you should be awesome, we'll match you with really awesome players" which creates my situation, where I die 20 times and get 2 kills every level.

I don't get it :(

• Like Like x 1
  2. rainman0211

rainman0211 Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I've never played Titanfall on the PC, I've always been on consoles. I've tried playing games on PC and man are you talking about someone that was lost. I need to have my hands on a controller. Had some very one-sided matches and have been slaughtered more times than I'd like to remember. Not getting slaughtered anymore though... now I'm just getting my a** kicked. :D

3. BigDaddyHotGue

BigDaddyHotGue Generation 4
    Elite Pilot

Might suggest that you stay in the Campaign for a while. You're more likely to run across other noobs than seasoned veterans playing the Campaign. Less likely to have your backside handed to you. Run through the whole Campaign quite a few times before heading off to other game modes. You'll get practise on Attrition and Hard Point type matches and you'll have a much better chance of learning with newer players. Welcome to the Frontier!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bruvas

Bruvas Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Titanfall fundamentally plays different to most other fps titles. Playing it like BF or CoD results in constant death. Don't stop moving, get high, double jump, change direction on the second jump, wall run, wall run, wall run.

Once the muscle memory is there, you'll appreciate its mechanic and level design all the more. It's an amazing game!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gh0stm4gg0t

gh0stm4gg0t Generation 2

I wouldn't rely on the matchmaking ; )

All the above, plus the following suggestions I have (ymmv):

Bumper jumper, or bumper jumper pilot layout, the latter I prefer when using vortex shields, learn with the carbine or car, use stim and the battery thing to keep stim available more. Minion detector can be useful to show where the enemy is likely to spawn. Use satchels or arc grenades (your choice). RE45 is probably the best starter sidearm. If your aim is good B3 is better (especially if you want to rock an R97 or a shotty, to compensate for the short range of these two weapons).

Avoid titans as a pilot, use the 40mm and atlas to start with I would suggest.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

Hi mate, In relation to what you say about matchmaking, I spent the first six months or so at around 0.8 KD and was constantly put into lobbies of kids with no thumbs then I broke even on my KD and very rarely end up in a lobby that I could dominate. I am unsure as to how the matchmaking is in this game but you have to remember that connection and proximity are going to affect matchmaking.

The biggest mistake I see newbies make and I often do this myself is run mid map, or in other words out in the open. If you are a pilot, stay indoors or use cloak or stim to minimise trips outside.

The way I found to dominate in this game is once you are in your titan, STAY ALIVE. This is the way that I have learnt to play well in this game. My one on one gunfights are never good, however in a titan, if you play smart, then you will succeed. Hang off titan fights, never go into one on your own and just pick the spots on the map where the pilots are bound to be. Like Bruvas said, pilots are up high, stay in your titan and pick them off. What I like to do is stand out in the open in my titan, pilots will rush you to rodeo'd you, just pick them off, over the weekend I killed 3 guys who rodeo'd me one by one, a conga line, it was insane. Good players however will coordinate and dominate you in a titan so pick your opposition with this strategy.

As a pilot, follow all of what Bruvas said but also just think. If you play attrition one of the main parts to winning that game is not dying. Like someone told me when I started playing CoD years ago, don't play to get kills, play to not die. The kills will come with smart play and smart play is not dying. Dont camp for gods sakes but do think about your movements and positioning and watch your mini map, if you see a bunch of minions spawning up, like gh0stm4gg0t said, pilots will be spawning up with them often. Follow the minions, there will invariably be pilots there.

Be wary of the campaign. I played it for the first time for ages last week and there was a bunch of seasoned vets all there to stomp the newbies, it was some of the most competitive and hard fought session I have played for while so lobby shop to find a forgiving bunch to play against.

And the last thing, party up if you can, a good team can give you space to develop your game. Good luck!

Addendum: To beat all of you to it. TL;DR. Ha!

• Like Like x 2
  7. BigDaddyHotGue

Elite Pilot

*Really* good advice Sgt_rawk! Agree totally. Thraka - definitely lobby shop. If you get 'stuck' with a bunch of us veterans running around the Campaign... get out. Go find another bunch who are true and real newbies in a Campaign and learn with them.

8. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

Yeah, We may be ok at the game and we may like some competition, but really what we want is to stomp kids with no thumbs...ha! BTW what is yr GT big daddy? Are you on X1?

9. BigDaddyHotGue

Elite Pilot

Hey @Sgt_rawk ! BigDaddyHotGue - same as here. And yes. On XBox One most nights and occasionally in the afternoon when I can 'work' from home. Up to Diamond level 2 now on the new beta Rank Chip scheme (although I think they need to keep tweaking the scoring on that little beastie... something just isn't quite right yet). Spending too much time neglecting the family... running and gunning on Titanfall... having fun. What's your GT on X1? I'll keep a look out for you?!?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

hey mate, I am sgt rawk on X1, will add you when I get on next. I am level 2 whichever one is after gold, cant remember what its called. Ha! Yeah, my family have forgotten what I look like. Ha!

11. shinynugget

shinynugget Generation 2

Thraka stick with it. When I transitioned from PC to Xbox360 in 2009 it took a solid month of playing 3-6 nights a week to get used to the controller. Eventually I started climbing the leaderboard in MW2 and I've never look back.
    Follow some of the strategy tips from the above responses and have fun!

• Like Like x 2
  12. rainman0211

rainman0211 Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Hmm... muscle memory. I'll tell you, that is as well put as can be. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. The Juggernaut

The Juggernaut Generation 7

14. rainman0211

rainman0211 Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

You said the most important thing...Have Fun. And I'm having a ball.

15. rainman0211

rainman0211 Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Keep banging away and grinding it out and as Bruvas so eloquently put it Muscle Memory kicks in and everything else seems to fall into place. You'll pick up you own style and find your groove and turn into a Killing Machine!!! ;)

16. Bigz266

Bigz266 Generation 4

Also be creative with your wallrunning. Try something out to see if it works... You'd be surprised, alot of times it works.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Bliteyyy

Bliteyyy Generation 2

Don't know why there is so much talk of avoiding "vets". I started playing this less than 2 weeks ago and have been fairly consistently outscoring gen 10s. Best thing anyone can do is just play against these people that have been playing this game for a long time and pick up on things that might not be instantly noticeable

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

#18 Sgt_rawk, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    Yeah, being a gen 10 in my case is the fact that I have been playing a long time. Not always does your gen reflect how good you are. I had my arse handed to me yesterday by a lobby of gen 1's...ha!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. ACCtionMan

ACCtionMan Generation 2

Any tips on climbing walls or jumping between walls please. I try with some success but must look hilarious to those watching right before they put a bullet in me.

20. rainman0211

rainman0211 Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Yeah... what Sarge said. :D

• Like Like x 2