Controller on PC (Don't Murder Me)

Discussion in 'Titanfall PC' started by ZJP, Feb 20, 2014.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ZJP

ZJP Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

So, look, I know I'm going to get shit on a little bit here, but still, I want to get the word out.

I've got an XB1 and have been on 360 for years. Kind of a console guy, honestly. Bought a PC last year SPECIFICALLY for Day Z and totally blew it....got a shitty Alienware X51...but man, i fell in love. Have a Razer Blade Pro now and Titanfall SINGS on it.

I knew I wanted Titanfall on PC...I loved the beta so much (and got an invite to both systems) that I pre-ordered for both. I did just fine on mouse + keyboard ..but late last night before the servers shut down, I tried it with an Xbox 360 controller.

I WAS BLOWN AWAY. I had heard originally if you did this, you'd just be at SUCH a disadvantage to PC players. That you'd just get constantly pooped on and don't even bother. I maxed out level 14 as quickly as possible and was consistently in the top 2 all night. There's really no difference when using the controller except better graphics on PC.

So...for all your cross system players out there...just wanted to let you know: if you're coming from console to PC...use a controller on this game. Your aim will not suffer. You will (probably) not get shit on. Don't listen to the Master Race naysayers...it works. :) Excited to play with you guys on XBL and Origin.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Clarkeh

Clarkeh Post-Patch Generation 6 Pilot
    Elite Pilot

I would ask you keep your PC bashing to a minimum here, Telling us the perks of using a controller on the PC is all fine and dandy but flamebaiting i imagine will not be tolerated here.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ZJP

ZJP Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

You've completely misunderstood me. I'm telling you I LOVE playing this on PC. I'm saying you can get the best of both worlds if you're a cross system player.....when, again, I've heard traditionally that you should NEVER use a controller on a PC FPS.

So.....again. PC = great. XB1 = great. Both together? Great.

Hope that's clear now.

4. Clarkeh

Clarkeh Post-Patch Generation 6 Pilot
    Elite Pilot

Some games are better with a controller, dungeon crawlers, platformers etc Personally i don't get along with controllers in FPS's they feel clunky and not as precise as a mouse, This is a completey different story i imagine on the console with its built in assisted aim but using a controller on PC with no assisted aim built in it requires something i have yet to get to grips with.

The only reason i warned you for the post was the thread title and some parts of the message you posted it could be interpreted as trollbait and so far these forums have been Troll-Free for the most part and i imagine the mods want to keep it that way.

Glad to hear your having a blast with the controller though.

5. ZJP

ZJP Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

Definitely not trying to bait anyone. If I had the money to have every system out there, I would. For me, it's like...why choose? If there's a good game out there, I'd like to play it.

Very much enjoyed Saints Row IV on PC with a controller but Far Cry 3 seemed easier on K+M.

But yes, I was told if I was used to aim assist, I'd just fall flat on my ass using a controller on PC. When that didn't happen, I got really excited. I'd rather have the better graphics / PC folks....seems to weed out the 10 year olds who play CoD on XB.

6. Kingkat54

Kingkat54 Generation 7

Its just that most of us PC Gamers prefer the KB/M set-up. If a controller works then by all means use it. But yes there can be drawbacks to a controller, and the idea of "aim assist" is one. I never really learned how to play an fps until I stopped using "aim assist" and relied on KB/M. Just my opinion.

7. Chaz

Chaz Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

He's not bashing.

I know a lot of people that use controllers for their PC's. A large misunderstanding with the Master Race is that we're out to make those who play on consoles feel like crap. While we have our bad eggs (every community/culture does) the goal is mainly to show the power of PC's and the freedom that can be had with the platform. I grew up on consoles as well. I had them all my life. I just built my first PC just this past year and I love it. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate consoles as well.

Anyway, back to the point, controllers on PC are a great thing! I have a bunch of games in my Steam backlog that I am waiting to even touch until I have a controller to play with. Specifically some racing games. :p

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and everyone has the right to use what helps them score well in games. Congrats on your Razer Blade Pro purchase, by the way. It's a very nice piece of technology. :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. ZJP

ZJP Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

Thanks Chaz.

It's weird, I feel like I'm PC Master Race. Any day of the week, they blow consoles out of the water. I just happen to play on consoles too :D All my friends are there. ...as opposed to Steam where I've got one actual friend and a bunch of randoms that added me from a Reddit post. Really looking forward to my first build though.

And thank you...the Razer Blade Pro is AMAZING. The only way I got it fully stocked was by getting it (luckily) through my job. I do artwork for an indie game and they got a deal on it / had me work off the rest. It's an absolute beast.

• Like Like x 3
  9. KingOfGaems

KingOfGaems Helpin' you in the best way, day by day.
    Elite Pilot

I have to personally say that I can't play with a controller. If you can, well I applaud you. I cannot, and I mean cannot play with a controller AT ALL.

I have nothing against consoles either. It's all good if you play on console. Personally I have one myself (a PS3). Oh, and I wish I had the money for a Razer Blade :(

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chaz

Chaz Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

It's funny you mention not being able to play on console, either! I started off on it, and now I'm a PC Gamer (for the most part) and occasionally I go over friends houses to chill. They bust out the PS3/Ps4 and holding the controller just feels soooooo weird now compared to KB+M. It's like second nature. :p

• Like Like x 1
  11. ZJP

ZJP Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

My buddy who originally pushed me to go PC has told me this. "Someday you'll wonder how the hell you used a controller in the first place." MAN, I'm STILL WAITIN' FOR THIS :D For me, I have the movement down... I love the precision... but extra keys like the E key or T key....C and V. I can't just hit those without either looking down or hitting the wrong button first. He's recommended mapping those to my Razer Death Adder but I haven't gotten around to it. Any other tips or is it just putting in the time?

• Like Like x 1
  12. KingOfGaems

KingOfGaems Helpin' you in the best way, day by day.
    Elite Pilot

The biggest thing, to not look at the keyboard is just learn to type without looking at the keyboard! It will

1. Help you type faster
    2. Also it will help you in situations like this!

Give it sometime. After you get used to the keyboard, you will love it, and I bet you 100% you won't want to use a controller EVER again. :)

13. ZJP

ZJP Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

I learned to type in 1994. And type about 93 wpm. For the LIFE OF ME..when it comes to gaming....I shit the bed when it comes to C, V, E, and T. Absolutely no clue why. :D

• Like Like x 2
  14. Chaz

Chaz Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

Time is all it is. The first month was exceptionally hard for me because it was a whole new type of controller. So many more "buttons" and it felt really unforgiving. I thought that if I knew how to type, then I would be able to play video games on my computer. Dead wrong. :p

I would say for the first month I didn't even bother playing FPS' simply because there were too many things going on and too many keys for me to press. I stuck to Portal/Portal 2 (not a lot of keys to press) because it got me used to WASD. Afterwards I tried out TF2 because it was free but it was more fast paced than Portal and a couple more keys to engage myself with. It got me used to it. Then I moved on up to Battlefield and now after months of playing, the keyboard and mouse just feels so natural.

So, to answer your question, it just takes time. Also, I wouldn't recommend binding keys to your mouse just yet. Learn the Razer Blade's keyboard in and out, get used it, and it'll become muscle memory. My recommendation is to use the macro's on your mouse to expedite key presses AFTER you get used to the keyboard.

15. ZJP

ZJP Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

Right now, I have the Razer Blade Pro hooked up to a Dell 23 inch monitor. And use the death adder and a mechanical dasKeyboard. (<3 this keyboard).

Every day I'm tryin' to get better at PC...but the original thought in this post was ...I was CRAZY excited that I could get perks of playing on PC but keep my aim and aggressive play style that comes with my controller.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chaz

Chaz Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

It's awesome that games allow this sort of connectivity. The only reason people call it crazy to use a controller on PC is because of the "disadvantage" compared to KB+M users. They've done tests and they found out that it's just quicker to snap back to a target with KB+M than on a controller.

This is where aim assist comes into play. It helps with overshooting a target. Now it's not to say players who use mice don't overshoot an enemy when aiming. The studies found that it's just easier for mice to get back to that enemy quicker than controllers.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ZJP

ZJP Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

Welp, no one who has ever tried to push me towards PC has ever, to date, been wrong. So, I'll take your word for it and keep putting in the time :D That said, I won't tell you whether or not I use a controller for Titanfall and we'll see how I do.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chaz

Chaz Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

I look forward to hearing your progress/results! :D

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jiisuki

Jiisuki Generation 2

When I started out with FPS on computers, I always used these key bindings:

Forward: Right mouse
    Back: z
    Strafe left: d
    Strafe right: g
    Jump: f
    Crouch: space

However, when I found the need to aim down sights, I started using the "normal" wasd layout. I still have movement trouble using wasd, but I'm getting better.. so I think time is the most important factor here. I run my old layout when playing Quake, due to the muscle memory of strafe jumping. If it wasn't for the ADS in Titanfall, I would probably run it here as well..

Anyone got any tip on alternative ADS bindings? :)

As for controllers, I've never been able to put down enough time to do well with them. That's the reason I never play FPS on consoles, but I would love to be better at it.. I have a lot of respect for players that do well with controllers!

20. HostileParadox

HostileParadox Generation 2

#20 HostileParadox, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    I also played it with the controller, and did quite well, I was usually one of the top 3 on my team, if not MVP.

[​IMG]

I have only two criticisms:

1) Sometimes the aim assist would pull my chaingun fire way off target for some reason, usually when shooting another Titan. It only did it like two or three times, so I could never figure out quite what caused it. Might have have something to do with the electric smoke ability, but not 100% sure.

2) There was no push to talk button for the controller. Seeing as how the right d-pad is empty, it would be great if it got assigned there. Or let us assign the z keyboard key to it manually.