Effective minion farming.

Discussion in 'General Titanfall discussion' started by THE_oldy, May 22, 2014.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. A.C

A.C Generation 4

Yes it does (influence the accuracy of auto-titans), but it is a pilot Tier 2 kit.

My point is: Why would you improve the accuracy of your auto-titan for minion farming (i.e a sort of a double-barrelled attack on minions by playing as a pilot and also having your auto titan engage the enemy simultaneously) by using the guardian chip and disembarking your titan to play as a pilot.

Surely it is far more effective to use the minion detector, which is also a Tier 2 kit (like the guardian chip) and stomp on minions whilst in a Titan. The only real threat to a Titan is another Titan(s) - if you avoid other Titans to concentrate on minions, you have an unbelievable advantage over minions and for the premise of effective minion farming - the guardian chip/auto-titan/playing as a pilot is illogical when presented against the alternative of using minion detector/playing as a titan..

2. Jsev73

Jsev73 Generation 2

Okay, I got you now. Yes I agree with you, I would not sacrafice the minion detector, when the object is to find the minions!

• Like Like x 1
  3. THE_oldy

THE_oldy Generation 2

Hmm yeh didn't think about loosing minion detector. Seems invaluable for attrition.

4. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

Yeah, its to improve your auto titans shot. It takes your titan from being clueless to slightly less clueless. Ha! However I have heard a couple of guys say they were picked out the sky by a titan rocking guardian chip...sounds unlikely to me however.

5. A.C

A.C Generation 4

Indeed - the Guardian Chip improves accuracy NOT intelligence - and, as a result, makes the Guardian Chip an extremely underwhelming kit/ability.

To make the the Guardian chip more viable it should perhaps have enabled the user to have more accurate 'hacked' items in addition to improved Auto-Titan accuracy.

This would make hacking turrets and spectres more advantageous with the Guardian Chip - whilst I will acknowledge that turrets can be an annoyance, they aren't really a "problem" TBH.

Hacking a spectre is novel, not beneficial. If the Guardian Chip improved their AI or Accuracy it would give viability to the notion of hacking - If the 'Ice Pick' was moved to Tier 1 and coupled with my revised version of the Guardian Chip, one could make a dedicated and purposeful hacking class. This would offer a different playstyle to add to the ones people routinely use rushing/stealth etc.

6. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

I have done a bit of reading and it suggests that if you are keen to run your auto titan in follow mode and use it in defensive/semi offensive manner on obj's then it can come in handy as a bonus. Also that it makes the titans slightly more aggressive in attack in particular picking pilots across the map with the right type of weapon (e.g rail gun, plasma or 40mm cannon). But in terms of one on one with another piloted titan..they are little better.

And for a level 49 unlock its not like its there long for a regenerating pilot.

7. J0kerscyc0

J0kerscyc0 Generation 2

I actually had one of my best games with minion detected on, 59 minion kills, but I feel that dominating pilots and titans is better while running over minions as u come across them, best score atm 160 (n only won by 50 -.-)

8. THE_oldy

THE_oldy Generation 2

Edit: bumped post button early, still typing rest atm.

I think farming in titans should be at the center of thoughts about strategy, at least for the solo player thats in for the team win.

I've talked about how titans can get rapid farm going, but all but the most lazy titans should idly rack up decent minion kills over their lifetime. The key to winning to me is denying the opposing teams titan time, while maximizing your own.

This often means playing a game of constantly hunting and harrassing titans to bag a solid win. The win however is not from the 5 points you get from taking out a titan, it from the 10 grunts you saved

9. THE_oldy

THE_oldy Generation 2

Lost what i typed because i timed out editing the last post...

Anyway, the point I was getting at was trying to focus on farming. Attrition is an objective gametype not team death match, but its easy to only focus on the TDM slayer element. As a general FPS rule, dedicated slayers help in objective gametypes, but if a whole team just slays they can lose to weaker players with a more strategic focus.

Titans have the most options for safe profitable farming, so titan time wins games. This means as a pilot you have less to loose untill you get back in a titan. In terms of attrition points, taking a 50% chance of death to kill a pack of 3 grunts is favorable odds. The only reason you wouldn't suicide for 5 grunts non stop is that it gives away build time.

Considder safely killing 3 grunts vs a risk to take out a pilot. To get the pilot your betting your 4 points and 30 seconds build time to try and win theirs. To kill the safe grunts your risking nothing, but will still gain.

Now no self respecting try hard is going to pass up an opportunity to kill other players, im not suggesting it. What im recommending is always considering the risk of cleaning up each of those little red dots on the map. I feel if im going to be a true try hard, I should be taking every profitable risk I see.

I'm finding it satisfying squeezing in those extra minion kills, sometimes even mid fight. This can mean as little as adjusting your strafe slightly in a titan fight to step on a few more spectors. If your looking to up your game, farming could be a place to focus.

10. THE_oldy

THE_oldy Generation 2

I find hunting the minions forces you to fight just as many titans/pilots anyway, but you make points in the down time.

Pilots aren't always going to give away points quickly every game, but grunts potentially can.

Which get me thinking, minding your own grunts might become more valuable if opponents focus farming.