Gotta Buy a New Computer

Discussion in 'Titanfall PC' started by A4eaTransformer, Jun 7, 2015.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. A4eaTransformer

A4eaTransformer Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

i need to buy a new computer for work. I run some not too sophisticated programs but they do have lots of data in graphics form. I think a gaming computer would not be waste and may even be an advantage. However the real motivation is to get a gaming computer to play titanfall. I have my eye on:

Alienware 17
    I7 4710Hq 2.5 GHz
    16 RAM
    128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD
    NIVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M dedicated graphics

A generic Titanfall Optimizer program suggests that this would run around 200% over minimum requirements to play TF with the the only bottleneck being a faster processor eg 2.8 Hz etc. there is a pretty good deal on this at a local Best Buy. I am not looking for the hottest ride in town but my research suggests that this would be pretty reasonable.

My two questions are:
    1) Would I be pretty happy as a new PC player with this rig?
    2) By the time TF 2 comes out, do you think I would need more eg better graphics card, more RAM, and a significantly faster CPU to remain in a fairly optimized range of play? Should I try to wait and get the PC then or go for a more powerful rig now so as not to fall short in a year or two?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

2. Bruvas

Bruvas Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

It's hard to say about the TF2 specs. You're better checking what specs are needed to run on ultra rather than minimum too, as no one wants to run anything on minimum!

In 2 years I reckon that rig will still be able to play games, but on a lower res. I got out of PC gaming as I got sick of constantly feeling the need to upgrade :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. A4eaTransformer

Elite Pilot

I run an Xbox one on a 2 year old Samsung 55 inch LCD TV. I am unsure of the response rate and the graphics are not bad but far below what I see on streaming from pc's. I really would like better graphics and am not sure what to do. I wonder if the box plus a gaming monitor would improve things. The Samsung response rate is probably around 22 ms - 40 ms and could be better. I suppose that 22/1000 seconds is irrelevant compared to my own delayed response time in the order of 500-2000/1000 secs. But monitors with a 4 ms rate and higher resolution might still be nice. I will have to see if I can find what is the max resolution that the box can support and take it from there. Thanks for the comments. I still have fun.

4. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 Generation 4

#4 rogerwilco71, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    Hey atrain...specs are sound, but bruvas is right as it will be long in the tooth in a few years.
    I will say this.....I experience eye strain and tense muscles when playing on my laptop (because of positioning I suppose....and even need my glasses) versus my home pc (24" benq 1080 on Titanfall "insane" graphics settings in a comfy office chair).

But........but....if it's for work..and for a few dollars more.:) it is a tax deductable expense....so why not?
    i do every 2 years.

-phone typer

• Like Like x 1
  5. rogerwilco71

....I will mention that the laptop is sitting on a desk when played, but I'm still looking in a *down position as opposed to straight forward on my home pc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. A4eaTransformer

Elite Pilot

So RW, you have inspired me. I will do both. Tax deductible computer for "work" which will kill my work stuff for years and be adequate for a while doing TF. But what I need is a home computer aka "desk top" with good size monitor. However, I had to google a Benq: a data projector? I have not used one before. Know nothing about them. I have used computer projectors for power point presentations but I assume this is more specialized? I want the best graphics possible. Is that the way to go? Do you project it on a special screen or a wall or what?

7. rogerwilco71

BenQ
    Those are good specs to follow if you are shopping around...I have an older model.

....A front projector home theatre would be fantastic for playing Titanfall on an 84" screen...your head would be banging back and forth like you were at Wimbledon.:D

Here's my home pc specs which are midrange, but run Titanfall on Insane settings:

FX8350 8Core at 4.2 GHZ (coolerMaster EVO 212 CPU cooler)
    Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P motherboard
    8Gig of Ballistix Crucial Ram (36Gig max, but not much improvement of 8gig from what I've seen)
    Nvidia GTX 960 With 4 Gig memory (4g required to unlock "insane" setting in Titanfall)
    850 Watt Ultra PSU ATX

As I've stated before, system with a lot less specs can run Titanfall just fine on a basic computer with a $100 Video card (medium settings 1080P)

8. rogerwilco71

If you go nuts on a computer, be sure it can be future proofed....Large power supply and Motherboard that can accommodate Future cpu and ram upgrades....the rest are academic.
    Are you planning on building or buying a new home PC?

9. A4eaTransformer

Elite Pilot

I am now. I want the whole encshelata (however you spell it). I am about to go into a cell dead zone for the weekend. Definitely hope to talk more about this later.