Is it still worth Buying Titanfall 1. ?

Discussion in 'Titanfall PC' started by trueblue, Sep 9, 2016.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. trueblue

trueblue Generation 1

Hi guys, always fancied trying titanfall but for some reason or another just never got around to it. I was thinking of getting it for the pc and was looking around at the current deals etc. I can get a digital copy of the Deluxe version for £11.99 and was thinking as it comes with all the maps etc and its even cheaper than on stream that it was a fair price.

The thing is,, as the game is entirely played online and there is no offline or story mode,, will it be worth it now titanfall 2 is out ? Obviously as it depends entirely on people being online,, will there be any point if everyone is now on the new one? I heard somewhere that the pc version was the quietest of all so thought I should check on here.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bruvas

Bruvas Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I can't speak for the PC population, but it's a tremendous game, and at that price its a bargain imo

• Like Like x 1
  3. ThirdGuyver

ThirdGuyver Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

I can second that, dont know what the numbers in the pc universe are like, but you've got the most fluid of titanfalls! And yes its worth getting: "finest of games it is" - yoda..

• Like Like x 1
  4. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

#4 ensc, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    Yes, I can third that and I do play on the PC, so I can maybe give you a little more insight of how things are now and how they will be when TF2 comes out and in the future.

First of all, at any price, I would say it's a steal, but at that price it is a no brainer. Before Titanfall, I would get a new game about every 2 months, because even at 2 hours/day, that's about how long games nowadays will last you, content-wise. Since I've gotten Titanfall, I've probably purchased about 30 other games (maybe about 8 of those at full price), but I've barely played any of the 30. Why? Because to me, Titanfall is my favorite video game of all time, and what makes it great is the fluidity of movement (with the wallrunning and double jumping and if you use Stim it just makes it even more fluid). Every other game makes me feel like I'm stuck in the mud compared to Titanfall, which is why I always come back to it. Last time I checked was on 4/20/16 and at the time I had over 80 days of in-game time (that's over 1920 hours), so you can see that even for $60 it's a steal when you'll pay that for 1 hour at a restaurant. OK, so that is why I think it's worth it no matter what.

Now, to the question of players. To answer that, I think it is best to break it down into 3 sections of time: Currently, TF2 Launch (and through the holidays), 6 Months After Launch.

Currently: There will always be enough players to at least play Attrition mode and Campaign mode. You can play Attrition on the East US and North Europe servers absolutely any time of day (always more than enough people). You can play Campaign any time of day as well as long as you are willing to switch between servers. Even when the numbers get low, there is usually at least 1 full game going on between the East US or North Europe servers. You can usually get a game of Frontier Defense at most times as well, which is the only mode where you are playing strictly against AI. Now, the other modes are very, very scarce. If you want Capture the Flag or Hardpoint, you can usually find a game at some time during the weekend and maybe randomly at other times if you pay attention to it, but Last Titan Standing and any other modes are pretty much dead.

Launch (and through the holidays): I think we have to assume there will be a drop off, because even people like me, who absolutely LOVE the first one, are at least going to give TF2 a fair shake, so while we are in TF2, we won't be in the first one. However, I am holding very high standards for TF2, and as I mentioned before, the thing I love the most about the first one is the fluidity of movement, and from what I've heard it is not as good. Just like any other game I've bought, if it doesn't feel as good as the first one, it is going to make me go back to the first one. Personally, I expect to be playing both, because I expect that TF2 is not going to feel as good. HOWEVER, even with a big drop off, even if it gets cut in half, the Attrition lobby in the first one will always have games available no matter how good TF2 is. Another reason for this: they've removed Attrition from TF2 and a lot of people are not very happy about it, especially since it makes no sense, because it is hands down, not even close, the runaway most popular mode in Titanfall. When you have 28 people in Campaign, you'll have 150 in Attrition. When you have 60 in Campaign, you'll have 240 in Attrition. So, Attrition and the fluidity of Titanfall will always have some games available at any time of day.

6 Months After Launch: This is probably a bold prediction and many might say a wishful thinking prediction, but I personally believe that 6 months after the launch of TF2, the user base of the first one will be higher than it is now. Why? Several reasons. First, TF2 will have introduced a lot of new people to the game and even if they really like it, after playing it for 6 months and with the first one being so cheap, I think they will get the first one to try it out and they will fall in love with it's fluidity and Attrition mode, and they will actually feel like Titanfall (the first one) is the sequel to TF2, because I personally think time will prove that the first one's design was actually far superior to TF2's design. In my opinion, Titanfall (the first one) was a labor of love, but TF2 was the developers trying to make their COD buddies happy and any other changes were made with the almighty dollar in mind. I don't feel the designer's love inserted in the second one (from what I've seen and heard), where I could feel and see the designer's love of the game in ever single facet of the game with the first one.
    Second, I intend to contribute to the growth of the user base of the first one and I intend to evangelize everyone I come across to help me. You see, everyone has access to chat between games. I am going to make it a goal to try to be encouraging people to buy the first game, whether they like TF2 or not, because it is so cheap and the fluidity is awesome and Attrition mode is awesome. I think a lot of others will follow suit.

So, think about it this way, for that price, even before launch, you can get 7 weeks of solid play for sure in Campaign and Attrition. After launch and for about the next 6 months, the user base will be light, but you can probably still get an Attrition game at any time. Six months after launch, if I'm right, it will be better than it is now, which I think would mean you could get a Campaign or Attrition game at any time of day and maybe even a Hardpoint game more regularly.

• Like Like x 1
  5. trueblue

trueblue Generation 1

Cheers for all that info mate,, much appreciated and just what I was after. Have actually seen on the Bay another deluuxe version for only 9.89 so getting it now and will try it out.

• Like Like x 3
  6. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

No problem. Glad if I was able to help. I know you will not be disappointed. It is a beautifully designed game.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sapphire

Sapphire Generation 3

Also welcome to the forum @trueblue, always nice to see another pc gamer on here ;)

8. trueblue

trueblue Generation 1

cheers guys

9. Jonathan Kidsley

Jonathan Kidsley Generation 3

just to back up what other have said
    buy it
    I'm on PC and unless you want to play Attrition or Frontier Defence the numbers of players just aint there
    In West Europe we only have numbers in the 100s but you will still get a great experience playing the vanilla Attrition

10. trueblue

trueblue Generation 1

Got it,, enjoying it,,and gonna get more into it on next set of days off,,, but holy shit its a big file,, with the extra maps etc its 62.8GB !!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. ThirdGuyver

ThirdGuyver Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

Glad to see youre enjoying it, yeah its a big un, its all the audio files I believe.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Glad you are enjoying it buddy! Welcome to Titanfall. I believe ThirdGuyver is correct. My one buddy who is into technical stuff more than me mentioned that to me the other day. He basically said that Titanfall takes a long time to download, but once you have it, it functions better than other games, because you have everything on your computer uncompressed, so it is not trying to stream/download/uncompress any audio files or anything while you are playing the game.

13. Dman1313

Dman1313 Generation 2

i got a PC and i love it :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Good! Yes, it is a beautiful game. Now that I've gotten a pretty good taste of TF2, I can say with absolute certainty that as far as multiplayer goes, TF1 is far superior to TF2. Multiplayer-wise, TF2 is a huge downgrade from TF1. However, the Single Player Campaign in TF2 is one of the best things I've experienced in a video game for a long time. If all I wanted to do was play multiplayer though, TF1 is the way to go.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I'm a Crocodile

I'm a Crocodile Generation 1

Heyo guys. Im searching for some friends to play Titanfall 1 with. Haven't played it for a pretty long time and wanted to play it again but playing alone is kinda lame. If you want to add me to play feel free to do so: SirCrokodile

• Like Like x 1
  16. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I will definitely add you. Happy for anyone who wants to make the TF1 community larger. It's the best video game ever created.

17. FALLOPIE

FALLOPIE Generation 1

18. FALLOPIE

FALLOPIE Generation 1

Eh, TF2 is pretty great. I played TF1 and loved it, but this new one is just a more refined version. Now that it's been out a while, what do you think?