Is this game worth getting and will it have many players?

Discussion in 'General Titanfall discussion' started by rockz3r, Sep 4, 2016.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. rockz3r

rockz3r Generation 1

So , I really liked the Tech Test gameplays , I am a PC gamer , so was not able to play it ,and I am really feeling the urge to get it for its beautiful MP , but my question is , will it get many players?
    There is no point in getting a multiplayer with extremely less people to play with.
    And also will there be regional servers like in BF4?
    And , lastly , Will we get a Demo or few hours trial for it on Origin?

2. Bruvas

Bruvas Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Titanfall 1 has regional serves, so I presume 2 will as well. Again with the presumptions, but if you sign up to origin access there'll probably be a few hours of a free trial there to try on release or just before.

Player count is impossible to guess. Yes? I hope?

3. Trini Chinese

Trini Chinese Generation 7

i don't see why not . the game will do well and as for gamers being online i don't see why not but if you want to wait till the game is out and look at the reviews then you should hold out until then but i can say i will have it at launch . as for the servers battlefield has always had problems with servers for some reason but i don't think that titanfall will have the same issues. the campaign is a great selling point and i hope it lives up to expectation .

• Like Like x 1
  4. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

#4 ensc, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    I will definitely have it right away as well. Despite being very unhappy about the direction they went (more COD-like instead of boosting the things that made Titanfall unique), which is never going to change and I will have a hard time forgiving them for, I am starting to warm up to parts of the game, especially some of the Titans. I would still like the original Stryder, Atlas and Ogre (with fully customizable loadouts) as well, but I do like some of the new ones too.

Even though Trini and I and countless others who loved the first Titanfall are going to get it no matter what, you do raise some very good concerns rockz3r. I have a lot of the same concerns myself, so please let me break down my concerns and you can take them or leave them in helping to make your decision. Since I am in a game for the long haul, my concerns are more a year down the road. Please let me use the first Titanfall as an example. It's user base dropped off drastically after the first 6 months to a year. I absolutely loved Hardpoint the most, and a year after launch, there was almost never anyone in the lobby. Now, the question is WHY?

Many will tell you it was due to lack of content (not having a single player campaign, not being able to customize, etc.). Personally, I think that is total BS. Think about it, Titanfall 2 has both of those, but the SPC is supposed to only take 8 to 10 hours. Does that keep you around longer than a year? The customizations might entertain you for the better part of day and they you are set, so is that going to keep you around longer than a year?

There are 2 reasons the user base drops off: poor matchmaking and allowing cheaters. if you are brand new and you are put on a team of other new players with all highest level veterans on the other side and you can't take 2 steps without getting killed. Who the hell wants to stay for that? Or, maybe the game appears even, but one of the players on the other team is using a cheater subscription, but you don't know that, so it makes you feel like a worthless piece of crap as he is constantly destroying you. Who the hell wants to stay for that?

So, with that in mind, here are my concerns about the user base:
    1) I fear that they spent too much time trying to COD-ify the game and they didn't think matchmaking or policing of cheaters was important. They honestly didn't believe there was even a problem with either of those on the first one. DENIAL
    2) That means they will have done nothing to police cheaters when what they should have done, with all the rave review Overwatch is getting for their anti-cheat system, they should have copied what Overwatch is doing. NO POLICING OF CHEATERS
    3) I believe that to appease the people who complained about matchmaking (even though the developers didn't think there was a problem), they came up with this "brilliant" (in quotes because it is the opposite) idea of Networks. So, rather than solve the root cause of the problem and develop a legitimate rock-solid matchmaking system, their solution is to further segregate players. NO LEGITIMATE MATCHMAKING

NOTE: If you think I'm wrong about those things, please think about it. If they had done something to create rock-solid matchmaking or policing of cheaters, don't you think they would be shouting it from the rooftops. I've heard nothing, except the Networks, but as I've explained, that does not create a matchmaking system, it just segregates people.

4) Titanfall had a lot of positive publicity and anticipation. Titanfall 2 has been decimated in the press. I think their sales are going to be way down from the first one. LESS SALES
    5) Titanfall released in March when nothing else was coming out. Titanfall 2 is coming out when Battlefield 1 and Infinite Warfare are coming out, plus there are several other great shooters that have come out in the last 4 months they will be competing with still. POOR TIMING
    6) Their poor excuse for matchmaking that I've already mentioned, Networks, is going to segregate the user base. Most people will only want to play in their Network(s). Think about what that does though. Let's just say for the sake of example, that 30 people are in a given Network, and there are 100 Networks. I think those numbers are conservative, but using those, that would be 3000 users. Now, if you are someone who is not in those 100 Networks, that is 3000 users that will never show up in the user base a new game for you would be pulling from. SEGREGATION
    7) You said you are a PC gamer and so am I. I was very excited when they said PS4 players were going to be included, at first, before I learned that they will be on their own network, so our user base will not have any of those users included in it. What makes it worse, is that many who played Titanfall on the PC will now switch and be playing Titanfall 2 on the PS4, which means the PS4 network will suck users away that otherwise would have been in the PC network. MORE SEGREGATION
    8) The way they have structured the game now, good players are going to get amped weapons sooner and get titans sooner, so it is going to increase the skill gap, which is going to be another reason to ask the question, "Who the hell wants to stay for that?" INCREASED SKILL GAP

As I said, I am a long haul gamer. If I do end up liking the game, I want to be able to play it 1 or 2 years down the road. Also, I enjoy playing with strangers, so I don't want to be playing in the same boring network with the same boring people every day for a year or two. With all of that in mind, I am very concerned. With the bad press and bad timing, I think the sales are going to be way less than Titanfall. With no improved matchmaking, no improved policing of cheaters and now an increased skill gap, new players are not going to want to stick around. With less initial players buying the game, with less sticking around because of the increased skill gap, and with less being available because of the segregation due to the addition of Networks and the PS4, the general user base for the PC could be very small to start and almost non-existent a year or two down the road. That is very, very concerning to me.

I really hope I am wrong about some of these things, because if I do end up liking the game I want to be able to play it for a long time. Whatever you decide, good luck to you buddy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. illegalfreq

illegalfreq Generation 1

As a PS4 player I'm happy to play with this game and I can't really feel your pain but I can imagine it. When I choose my PlayStation system (at the start of this generation) I'm sad to hear that Titanfall didn't show up on my console. I was jealous as hell but later they rumoured the second episode might be coming to PS4.
    So maybe you're right as a PC player but I think you are a bit negative about everything :) Be a little more positive. If they want to bring a good game with good experience alongside with BF1 why the hell they want to segregate players, no cheater policy or less sales. EA and Respawn wants big sales that's why they made a really good technical test which is not common on consoles. And I don't see too much negative reactions after the two weekends. Maybe I wrong and I can tell you I'm not a PC or Xbox player I just playing on PS4 so I don't know but I think they won't screw it up. Timing not bad, COD coming only in 4th of November. BF1 is not a futuristic shooter so anyone who only wants to play in a WW setting won't buy it, doesn't matter what time its coming.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I was trying to respond to his question:

Having played Titanfall every day for the last 29 months (and directly felt the pain of the user base drop off) and having paid close attention to the reviews of Titanfall 2, I was trying to give him the best and most thorough feedback I could offer, but please notice that I prefaced everything with this:

...and I ended by saying this:

I'm sorry, but I don't believe I am being negative. I am trying to give my honest opinions. When I am looking at reviews to purchase something, it does not help if everyone just sugar coats everything, has wishful thinking or pulls their pom poms out. I want to read everyone's TRUE opinions and then I will assess it, try to be discerning about everything and then make my own decision.

Also, please remember, I started my entire post by saying this:

I don't know how you can say I am being negative when I am just trying to help the guy out and answer his question as best I could from my own knowledge and experience. Also, please note that his question was about the PC version, so I am giving him my perspective as a PC player. His question again was:

He deserves to have all information possible to answer that question and in my opinion, rainbows and unicorns do not help when you are trying to decide whether to shell out hard earned money for something.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

They have actually done a LOT to improve the matchmaking system in this game. In Titanfall 1, 100% of servers were ran on Microsoft's Azure servers. This time around they're using those servers, as well as Google and Amazon cloud services and bare metal boxes as well (which are rented a month at a time) through Multiplay.

Also, Networks have nothing to do with the servers or matchmaking... it's basically just their "party" system. You are not required to play with people in any Network and you can be in multiple Networks and you can also play the game solo not using the Networks function.

Just wanted to respond to that...

As for the original poster, I think it will definitely be worth it for you to pick up. I'm not a PC player so I can't relate to the player drop-off that it seen but even on console when the player counts dipped to under 1,000 total people playing the game, I got into games really fast. There are regional servers (at least there were in the tech test) so I'm gonna assume they're in the final game as well. You can pick what you want your default server to be. As for a demo, I don't think that's going to happen because Respawn has said they've worked really hard on their SP and don't want it to be spoiled which could happen if given the PC edition of the game through data-mining.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

#8 ensc, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    OK, look, I'm not trying to argue here, but I want to make sure the person who asked the question and anyone else who reads this has the true facts. Also, I am a computer programmer and database designer for a global enterprise company, so I do know of what I speak.

Thank you for sharing the "Servers" video. I had seen that before, but I watched it again just to confirm that it contained what I thought it did. I believe there is a misconception that a lot of people have and a lot of terms are allowed to be twisted and confused to make it sound like they are talking about the same thing. The 3 words are Matchmaking, Networks and Servers, so please allow me to define what these are.

Servers: You are correct, Titanfall only ran on Azure. Titanfall 2 will also run on Azure, but also Amazon Cloud, Google Cloud and the bare metal boxes. This just means there should be more uptime (less crashes) and more bandwidth (faster play when connected). This has nothing to do with improving matchmaking.

Networks: What you said is absolutely correct, so let's just copy that here: "Also, Networks have nothing to do with the servers or matchmaking... it's basically just their "party" system. You are not required to play with people in any Network and you can be in multiple Networks and you can also play the game solo not using the Networks function."

Matchmaking: This requires developing an actual matchmaking algorithm, which they did not do in Titanfall, which is why you would end up with all newer players on one side and all veterans on the other. I will copy below what I have posted several other places in these forums, but you will then be able to see that Servers and Networks do not solve this problem. This is my main concern that they have been pawning off these Networks as a new matchmaking system rather than take the time to develop an actual matchmaking algorithm. See, if they use the same non-existent matchmaking system as the first game, then you are going to have the exact same problem as the first game even inside of the Networks (or "party" system as you called it). Below is my definition of an algorithm that I've shared in Respawn's forums well over a year ago now:

-Experience (must include many factors, can't rely on Prestige/Level only)
    --Prestige/Level - 25% weighted (will measure skill with multiple weapons)
    --Total In-Game Time - 25% weighted (will measure intel, knowledge of maps/modes)
    --Winning Percentage Last 10 Games In Current Mode - 50% weighted (effectiveness)
    ---P = Prestige (1 through 10, ignoring Level)
    ---T = Time Spent In-Game (up to 500 hours, anything over 500 will equal 500)
    ---W = Wins In Last 10 Games Of Current Mode
    ---this makes all 3 have a base of 10, which makes the weighting work
    ---ATTEXP = (P * 0.25) + (T/50 * 0.25) + (W * 0.5) <<< W = wins in last 10 ATT
    ---HPEXP = (P * 0.25) + (T/50 * 0.25) + (W * 0.5) <<< W = wins in last 10 HP
    ---CTFEXP = (P * 0.25) + (T/50 * 0.25) + (W * 0.5) <<< W = wins in last 10 CTF
    ---LTSEXP = (P * 0.25) + (T/50 * 0.25) + (W * 0.5) <<< W = wins in last 10 LTS
    ---MFDEXP = (P * 0.25) + (T/50 * 0.25) + (W * 0.5) <<< W = wins in last 10 MFD

-Distribution (must use holding areas)
    --when someone enters a game mode, whether an individual or a block of friends
    --they must be put in a holding area and only added into games if you are adding
    --equal numbers of players with equal experience based on algorithm above onto
    --each side at the same time
    --it is better to wait, knowing you will be entering an even game, rather than
    --getting thrown directly into a game that could be frustratingly lopsided
    --if you don't like waiting, you can always try a different server or mode

-Numbers (must have equal numbers on both sides, must make it a priority)
    --you can totally control ENTRY or game setup as described in Distribution above
    --what you cannot control is people leaving (must allow them to leave)
    --how you deal with this is treating someone leaving as an absolute emergency
    --you drop all Distribution you are currently handling and grab the best fit
    --Experience-wise for that mode to take their place immediately
    --once the emergency has been dealt with, then and only then, can
    --you resume normal Distribution

So, if you look at all of that it is pretty clear that your original statement shown below was not true.

"They have actually done a LOT to improve the matchmaking system in this game."

I don't blame you, which is why I said I am not trynig to argue. I think the 3 terms get confused and twisted and I especially believe that they are intentionally pawning off "Networks" as a new matchmaking system, which it is not. It is basically a glorified subset of your Friends, where players on both teams will be filled only from that subset of Friends and no outsiders, but without changing the matchmaking algorithm, there is still going to be imbalance even inside of those Networks. I think it may be partially masked if it is a smaller Network of more equally skilled players, but it will be more apparent that the problem is still there in the bigger Networks. My point is that even if the non-existent matchmaking can be partially masked in smaller networks of equally skilled players, that is not the correct way to deal with matchmaking. That is the lazy man's way and it doesn't solve the problem at all for those who don't want to play in any Networks.

9. PT Platinum11

PT Platinum11 Generation 3

Back on topic: EA already said they aren't doing anything like a trial, early access, or discounts for Origin access. So do what some of the others are doing. Just wait for reviews before purchasing.

(I'm not all too happy with the direction they're going either, but there are plenty threads to discuss that, lets try to stay on topic here :) )

• Like Like x 1
  10. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

No problem. My original post addressing his question about will there be enough users discussed how a lack of matchmaking might affect that. Another poster implied they have done a lot to improve matchmaking, so i just wanted to clarify that Servers and Networks does not directly improve matchmaking, so the lack of matchmaking will affect how many users there will be, because it will be a factor in deciding how long new users stick around.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Hmm... maybe I underestimated how many people that would effect based on my own personal opinion. I wouldn't care about VS'ing an entire party.. I'd stay until I beat them. I actually have a lot more fun when I play against people who are challenging, it only makes you better. They did do a video on matchmaking as well though if you haven't seen it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Thank you for sharing that! I had not seen that. If what he says is true, I will be a very happy camper. Sounds like they are going to try to match teams better by skill and try to keep the numbers even as well. If that is the case, then that will be awesome and it will go a long way towards encouraging new players to stick around longer, so that is good information for the original user that asked the question here. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sapphire

Sapphire Generation 3

What is many? I'm sure there will be enough pc players that will play Titanfall 2. Look at titanfall.. there are still 200- 400 people playing on Attrition. All we can do is wait and see!

• Like Like x 1
  14. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Ahh, you bring up a very good point and may not have even realized it. You are correct that even 29 months after the launch of Titanfall, there are still 200-400 people playing Attrition. Well, guess what? They've removed the most poplular mode, Attrition, from Titanfall 2. What impact will that have on people sticking around? That remains to be seen, but if they do not put it back, it will have an impact on the number of users remaining, whether it's 1 month or 1 year after launch. Many people absolutely love Attrition and if there is not something that feels at least similar to them, they may not stay.

15. illegalfreq

illegalfreq Generation 1

What is that mode? What is the objective?

16. Trini Chinese

it is basically team death match with AI all over the map , a warzone.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Destruction1972

Destruction1972 Generation 1

I was a mega player in the OG Titanfall. I even bought the collecters statue. The game was pretty cool

THAT BEING SAID:
    I am not to optimistic about this one:
    1. This game was made for consoles
    2. No Beta testing.. Now adays 98% of games that don't beta for a specific console/pc dont because the game is subpar. While I do have this onpreordervia GAMESTOP I will not pick it up till 1 week after release so I can hear fro suckers I mean people who got it.

Just remember you can not refund once you buy it in most cases.

18. Sapphire

Sapphire Generation 3

@ensc Well we will just have to wait and see.

To the topic starter: If it's a game that you really like and want to play I would say go ahead and it's worth buying it. At some point every game dies. But I never worry about that when I buy a new game. I just enjoy playing it :p

• Like Like x 2
  19. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Yeah, I agree about getting the game no matter what, but I do worry about when a game is going to die and would like to see them do everything possible up front to keep people from leaving (rock-solid matchmaking, cheaters banished immediately and permanently, not so much skill gap to get amped weapons and titans).

20. Trini Chinese

what we need is for more Devs from different company to start making more games like this with the core concept that respawn started.

Heck i would love to see what DICE could do with there concept mix in with the fast movement / Titans / Weapons / Large Maps /

A 64 player TITAN /PILOT Future concept story with destruction and so on , with there class concepts in there games /squad features / could you imagine flying the plane that drops the titans for your fellow pilots , even a 2 seat titan lol the possibility are endless right now and i hope to see game devs and the community push for this concept not just by DICE but even COD devs and others . they may bring something new and different that works and would be fun who knows.

DOOM started the FPS movement and look at where we are now , heck PONG and PAC MAN started a trend look at where we are now in sports games and puzzles .

the thing that gets me sometimes on the net when i read comments on youtube and on sites , some body made a lot of the masses thing that getting inspiration from another person or somewhere else that it is wrong to copy or to get inspiration from that idea just because they did not think of it first.

TO ALL THE DEVS IN THIS FORUM IF YOU ARE READING THIS , ITS OK TO MAKE AND USE THE CONCEPT THAT TITAN FALL 1 HAVE AND ITS OK TO MAKE IT YOURS < JUST MAKE AND ATTEMPT ! this is coming from a gamer the more games the better more to play , ps i am also a strong believer on quality over quantity with in reason.

• Like Like x 2