It's time we had THAT talk about the Carbine.

Discussion in 'General Titanfall discussion' started by Pilot_KC, Mar 28, 2014.

?
  1. Remove the Silencer from the Carbine

6.8%
  2. Further Reduction to Damage and Higher Recoil

22.7%
  3. Reduced Rate of Fire & Higher Recoil

9.1%
  4. Half the ammo count

2.3%
  5. Other - Please Specify

4.5%
  6. No Changes. Leave the Silenced Carbine as is.

54.5%
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Pilot_KC

Pilot_KC 6th Gen Pilot
    Elite Pilot

I just wanted to say before I nut out the crux of this thread is to say that the Carbine is my favorite weapon and has been since the betas. It is why I make this thread with some feelings of uneasiness.

Let me just say that everything here is simply my opinion based on first hand experience playing with and against the carbine. The Carbine is simply the ultimate all rounder;
    • Accurate at short, mid and long range
    • Nice rate of fire
    • Great optical attachments
    • Solid damage output
    However, there is one massive and glaring issue. The Silencer. For me the Silencer is making the Carbine too good at its job and it is taking away something very important from Titanfall which is weapon variety.
    • The SMG's are being forced into the background as everything they can do the Silenced Carbine does better.
    • The G2A4 and other sniper rifles? Sit on a roof top with the Silenced Carbine and eliminate pilots with little effort.
    It's the combination of having all the above good stuff and having the pilot hidden from the map radar which is creating a situation where camping is now being the desired trait in Titanfall. IMO this has got to stop.

My Proposals for Changes:
    Remove the Silencer from the Carbine: I'm actually in favor of a having the silencer removed completely from Assault weapon lines. Leave the silencers for the SMG's and Sniper Rifles as they are really well balanced currently in terms of damage and other trade off's.

Further Reduction to Damage and Higher Recoil: If the Carbine has to keep the silencer, make it align with damage outputs between the CAR and the R97 and have a much higher recoil for long distance.

Reduced Rate of Fire & Higher Recoil: Further reduce the rate of fire with the attached silencer and increase recoil.

Half the ammo count: Reducing or halving the amount of ammo per magazine (From 30 to 15) would make the silenced carbine a weapon to be only used in limited situations.

TLDR - The Silenced Carbine needs significant tweaking.

That's it from me guys, I would love to hear your opinions on this. And remember, keep it civil and mature.

• Like Like x 1
  2. markforza

markforza Finally got to Gen5
    Elite Pilot

The problem I seem to have is with Folk using the Halo sight & Silencer & my Shot Gun is not even good enough when we are 5ft apart! Which is where the Shotgun should work its BEST but.... of course not! Also Silencer that there's NO RECOIL whatsoever in the Killcams!! Annoying AF!

3. Bear

Bear That ain't falco.
    Elite Pilot

It could just do what CoD did. The silencer reduces your range and weapon damage (even though it said it didn't). Seems like a decent trade-off.

I love the silenced carbine but yeah it's a bit crazy.

4. Dawn Wolf

Dawn Wolf Generation 2

^Actually, the silencers in CoD don't technically reduce damage, just range. However, depending on how far you are, range has a direct effect on your damage. So ultimately yes, a silencer could make a gun go from say, 3 shots up to 4 shots to kill at the same range, however as long as the range category isn't bumped up, no damage penalty is taken. For example, if a CoD gun does full damage out to 50 meters, and the silencer makes the range take a 10 meter penalty, you're still doing full damage within 40 meters.

I haven't noticed the carbine being too ridiculous lately. Why isn't there a voting option for nerfing only the damage? Why not lead the low recoil alone, and pick on the damage? It's an AR.

For me, the pistols, especially the semi, is a little too weak for my taste.

5. Pilot_KC

Pilot_KC 6th Gen Pilot
    Elite Pilot

Hey guys I'm appreciating the feedback.

You raise a good point regarding the poll. It must have just slipped my mind but just tweaks to the damage is a great suggestion.

6. Tony at Home

Tony at Home Generation 5

THAT talk about a carbine?

Well... You see... When a Rifle and SMG love each other very much...

But in all seriousness, yeah, the Carbine is juuuust a bit too good with the silencer. Not OP, but it just makes it pointless to use certain other weapons.

Any one of those suggestions sound reasonable- preferrably I'd like to see range reduced, so damage degredation happens at a slightly closer range than before.

I would not like to see it removed from the weapon entirely- it should be an added layer of depth to the game in choosing weapon attachment. But as of now, there's really no reason to not use the silencer, as the drawbacks are so minimal and the benefits are quite huge. This takes away from the depth of choosing weapon loadout.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Legion

Legion Generation 2

I would rather buff weapons like the G2/R97 instead of nerfing the Carbine, even with the supressor, nothing about it screams game breaking at me. Part of the problem though is that the overly mobile dynamic really screws anything meant for longer range. The Snipers in this game are nearly pointless and even the g2 courts that line

• Like Like x 1
  8. z00tii

z00tii Generation 1

I agree with most of that. I use the G2 more than anything else in this game and it MUCH more difficult to use ANYTHING but the carbine. It's really annoying trying to not use that OP SOB when EVERYBODY uses it. At range, I'm more likely to take a half magazine before I can hit him three times. There's NO recoil, insane damage, great fire rate, and no downside. I will probably never play with it for these reasons, but it'd be nice to still have a chance. Every game, all I see are carbines. No variety. Just campers and a single mindset about K/D.

9. Kaeldian

Kaeldian Generation 2

I've been rather underwhelmed by it myself - but I'm more of a mid-close range fighter. It's probably just a play preference.

10. Pilot_KC

Pilot_KC 6th Gen Pilot
    Elite Pilot

I'm glad you guys raised the point about buffing the other weapons because initially I thought along the same lines as you guys did.

The one major issue I came up against about not buffing the other weapons is that people would start dying too quickly without a chance of hitting back. This would then have the flow on effect of people wanting either subsequent nerf's to all weapons OR to have their HP pool increased which would lead us full circle and we'd be back to square one again without the Silenced Carbine being tweaked.

You've definitely nailed biggest concerns zootii. Titanfall has an amazing movement mechanic which I haven't personally seen in any other FPS. The last thing that should happen is to have one particular attachment drag that mechanic back into the stone age's of camping.

11. ps4xbox1fan

ps4xbox1fan Generation 2

I don't even use a silencer now. I was getting punished by people who were using the carbine without it. My favorite gun now is the car smg! Without a silencer, that thing is beast!

• Like Like x 1
  12. MoneyMike

MoneyMike Generation 2

Can't stand the carbine sick of everyone using it, they can nerf the hell out of that weapon or get rid of it completely and I wouldn't bat an eyelash

13. ps4xbox1fan

ps4xbox1fan Generation 2

Truth be told the carbine doesn't stand a chance against the c.a.r. smg in short to medium range. I think the guns are well balanced, it's just not enough of them.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Clarkeh

Clarkeh Post-Patch Generation 6 Pilot
    Elite Pilot

This guy nailed it, hardly use the Carbine and stick with CAR + Counterweight + Run n Gun Kit.

• Like Like x 3
  15. lunaslostlove

lunaslostlove Generation 1

I think its pretty fair with a suppressor, that damage reduction has got me murdered plenty of times. The real deal best weapon in the game is the spitfire LMG that thing is a titan killer and a room clearer, i have gotten a triple kill against carbine users before. The clips so big that if they start jumping around never let go of that trigger

16. Tony at Home

Tony at Home Generation 5

I don't think anyone would debate the carbine loses to SMG at close range.

It certainly doesn't beat my shotty (who I call "Ms. Eva").

Though most feel it's reductive in that it outclasses the G2A4, and makes it pretty much almost useless to pick that over a Carbine.

The Carbine could be kept perfectly intact, if perhaps the G2A4 was brought up to speed so it was a viable competitor to it as a long range non-sniper weapon.

The biggest issue I see, is the G2A4 takes a damage penalty at a SHORTER range than the Carbine.

It's a pretty big issue, because the G2A4's strength is it excels at killing when you can get a headshot. In every other situation, the Carbine kills faster. However, the G2A4 only gets a 1-hit kill for the headshot at close range, which is ok, but the definition of "close range" for the G2A4 seems to be significantly less than the "close range" for the Carbine- and this doesn't really make sense.

If the G2A4 wasn't out-ranged by the carbine, this really wouldn't be a problem

17. Kingkat54

Kingkat54 Generation 7

I go back and forth between the carbine, and the CAR. Silenced or no, I like both. ALL weapons are fine. Are some better than others? Yes, but then its get BETTER or DIE a lot. I unfortunately die a lot! :p

But then again, I need the "Electronic Plasma Assault Rifle w/ the Magnetic Nuclear Grenade Attachment" with the "under barrel Thermo Nuclear Flame Thrower".......:D with the extended magazine of course!

• Like Like x 2
  18. A.C

A.C Generation 4

Whilst I'd agree that the R-101C is over-used, I'd put this down to the limited number of weapons in the game and automatic rifles being the bread and butter of any online shooter - there should be no suprise with this, it's the only automatic AR. There is a burst AR and a Semi-Auto.

If there were more weapons, specifically more automatic AR's, I'm convinced that the R-101C would not be as common.

I personally do not think there is anything wrong with it - with the suppressor the gun drops to a 5-6HK, and under sustained fire, despite the insistence that there is no recoil, the gun suffers from wobble. It is no ACR by any means. Yeah, I'm adept at burst firing, and recoil control, but the truth is the gun is not a laser across the expanse that these maps see engagements on (I have above 30% accuracy with it and a 2.9 Pilot KD - multiple 100+ Attrititon games (I Play solo), so I'm not speaking from a corner, wall-hanging whilst cloaked).

I do not think that the R-101C is responsible for making the G2 redundant - I think the G2 is redundant because the style of play required to properly own with a semi-auto at the best of times is not suited to jet-packing and wall-running whilst facing enemies that are doing exactly the same thing. I also think, theoretically, the damage numbers for the G2 are balanced, but, the nature of the game is what puts the gun out of balance. I just don't think there is an 'effective' role for this type of weapon in Titanfall - I like semi-auto's too (I believe one of my first posts on here in the 'anticipation thread' states that I could not wait to use the G2A4 more than anything)

I think adding more weapons pack drops (each pack contains a weapon from each class: AR, SMG, Shotty, LMG) is the answer rather than destroying what we have now.

I think the silenced R-101C is fine. It will lose at close range to the weapons it should lose to aswell as unsilenced R-101C's at all range unless you blindside the enemy. It stands a chance, as AR's should.

I think snipers and semi-autos just don't work - one can make them work, but will have to sacrifice use of the intended mechanics (parkouring) to do so, and even so -I'm of the opinion that if the user does not parkour, they cannot stop their enemies from parkouring - the inability to spray is a massive disadvantage simply put.

If there are exceptionally gifted palyers out their (or modded controller users) that can make the G2A4 work - then power to them, because it's not easy, and I'd consider my trigger finger to be fast and consider myself an accurate shot too.

Just a closing thought; perhaps the optical choices for the R-101C could have been more suited to closer ranged engagements? I think the HCOG is fine (and not especially clear if I'm honest), and that the AOG is also a good sight for long-range with the compromise of less peripheral vision.

The Holosight however is straight up OP on the R-101C - the cleanest sight, very clean reticle, maximum peripheral vision, and the perfect zoom level for the maps and engagements in TF.

It's like the equivalent of a COD red-dot, the difference is that the increased zoom caters to TF maps. So although it's technically a COD Holographic/EOTech, it offers the benefits of a Red Dot and Holographic without the drawbacks. There really is no disadvantage to using it and really no reason not to use it in favour of other sights IMPO.

My game improved massively after switching from HCOG to Holosight.

Edit: Sorry to reference COD.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bardiel18

Bardiel18 Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

Not gonna quote since it was rather lengthy, but @A.C raises some good points. Actually a lot of what people here have put forward are nice solutions to consider.

My thoughts (being an avid G2A4 user) regarding the Carbine is that is should have some adjustments to its properties. I don't want an outright damage nerf as I do still feel that the balance between weapons in this game is far more in tune than others.

My suggestion would be to increase the damage penalty going out to longer ranges - this is, after all, a carbine and not an assault rifle. Going by history and flavour alone, carbines were developed to be the intermediate option between a full-fledged AR and an SMG.

The other adjustment I would make is to increase that range penalty even further when using the silencer. Referencing real-world situations again, silencers are generally used with subsonic ammunition - so to make this work, the actual ammo being used by the carbine should reflect that; and in that way the damage-over-range should drop off significantly.

For an intermediate option, maybe include a flash hider for the R-101C, with less damage drop off than the silencer and reduced muzzle flash, but doesn't prevent mini-map pings.

Agreed also regarding the points made about the Holosight. There's just no drawback to using that sight. Maybe a slightly longer ADS time when equipped could rectify that.

EDIT/ADDITION: I don't want a damage buff for the G2 either. While it's my most used weapon (and a pretty hard one to use effectively), a damage buff would just render the already-almost-useless DMR even more useless.

20. A.C

A.C Generation 4

Solid point regarding the differences between a fully-fledged AR and a Carbine - noted.

In theory, range drop-off compensating for the suppressor is an effective way to balance the system, but in practice, I'm not sure how balanced requiring upto 7 shots to kill is.

That's why I think 4-5 or 5-6 is a decent trade-off and that the Carbine should remain as is and that the soluution is additional weapons drops for everyone (not released as paid-DLC).

Perhaps a reduction in fire-rate, but then the weapon loses balance with SMG's at ranges it should be superior in?