Melee Titan?

Discussion in 'General Titanfall discussion' started by Ryan Roberts, Mar 17, 2014.

?
  1. yes

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. no

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Ryan Roberts

Ryan Roberts Generation 2

I think it would really cool if there was a melee weapon for titans.

Just thinking of all the possibilities for Titanfall this might just be one of my most plausible ideas. It would give a new edge to titan warfare that might interest players.

This would also be a great way to design a new titan around this type of combat. Mabey even have a new arena map that melee titans can throw down on.

This is just one of my ideas. Please tell me what you think.

2. Bardiel18

Bardiel18 Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

I say yes. But only if it's balanced correctly.

If you watch the Hammond Robotics video of the Stryder intro, it's actually equipped with what looks like a blade. If they release that as an option, I'd definitely be a happy camper. IF (bigger if) they can balance one physical blade, and a beam sabre type into the game, then even better!

I don't mind not getting new Titan chassis right away, but a melee weapon option or two wouldn't go amiss in my opinion. The only concern I'd have is the likelihood of everyone running Stryders, since it would be the most effective at closing the distance.

3. Ryan Roberts

I agree with you on terms of balance.

The stryder would be great, but haveing a ogre with a hammer or a great sword would be badass.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NotSoNinjaTheVI

NotSoNinjaTheVI Generation 2

But then how would it balance out against Big Punch? It would have to be a massive pain to actually balance that class of titan. No. of dashes, armour, the lack of ranged weapons...
    Not saying it's a bad idea, but I do think it's a bad concept.

5. Ryan Roberts

Big punch would not effect the melee weapon at all. This is becase it is not a "punch."

6. Pilot_KC

Pilot_KC 6th Gen Pilot
    Elite Pilot

I'm guessing melee weapons on Titans could be balanced if the melee weapon were breakable.

For example, allow the melee weapons to do extra bonus melee damage for say 5 swings/jabs/slashes etc and than have the weapon "break/shatter" afterwards. This way you have to use them tactically similar to the Titan dash system for movement.

You could add some pretty awesome executions if some sort of blade were introduced lol. That's my two cents.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ryan Roberts

What if without breaking they had to recharge. mabey a power hammer that has 4 swings, but then you had to back off to recharge.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pilot_KC

Pilot_KC 6th Gen Pilot
    Elite Pilot

Yeah that's a great suggestion. After all, we can't have our Titans going nuclear from overheating.

[Edit] Hold the phone, perhaps having titans going nuclear from too much melee is another possible way of balancing. ;) I can just imagine the Titan voice over saying:

"Warning your Titan's power core is overheating, recommend ejection immediately"

9. CRUCIAL

CRUCIAL Generation 4

Perhaps something that could be looked at is chassis specific weapons, already it's clear that some weapons perform better on specific chassis.
    So in respect to melee weapons perhaps limiting it to the ogre would be a way of balancing.
    I don't see it workin on the Stryder without it degenerating into an episode of robot wars.

10. Ryan Roberts

Just make a new chassis that is purely designed for melee combat would be the best solution.

11. Chaz

Chaz Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

Didn't think about this before. Melee weapons on Titans might be pretty cool. :p

12. Bardiel18

Bardiel18 Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

This is why I say the Stryder is a good fit (although @CRUCIAL makes a damn fine point about why not) for melee:

Sword!

Attached Files:

13. Clarkeh

Clarkeh Post-Patch Generation 6 Pilot
    Elite Pilot

It always ends badly when the community asks for melee weapons in a shooter, just look at Defiance for an example.

• Like Like x 1
  14. NotSoNinjaTheVI

I wasn't saying how Big Punch would affect it. I was asking what would become of Big Punch. Because as of right now, that's our melee oriented option. Would it become a sort of 'middle path', or would it be rendered obsolete?

Just trying to play devils advocate, here.

15. Bardiel18

Bardiel18 Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

It'd sort of be a defensive tool used against melee users - the push back with Big Punch after all is substantial. Sock 'em one and keep firing

16. NotSoNinjaTheVI

"Stop, don't touch me there, this is my private square?"

17. GeneralArmchair

GeneralArmchair Generation 2

#17 GeneralArmchair, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    They could probably make powerful melee attacks that fill up a titan's ordnance or special ability slots.

I can see a titan eschewing a vortex shield in favor of a particle blade.

Or maybe a titan abandons its missile systems to make room for a Big-O style pile driver punch. Activating that subsystem might provide a +damage buff to regular melee attacks for its duration.

edit:
    Just had another idea for a melee oriented titan ability.

The EMP shiv. A close range melee attack that inflicts no damage. Instead it scrambles a Titan's systems, forcing it to reboot.

The enemy titan would essentially be vulnerable for a few moments as the HUD re-initializes (just as if the pilot attempted to board his auto-titan while it was in the middle of a fight).

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tom

Tom Generation 2

Gimme some big sword, I'll feel like some anime mech :D

[​IMG]

19. Pilgor3

Pilgor3 Generation 3

I'm sorry but you guys are gonna ruin this game just like cod, you want to add a melee mech, next you want gun camo and then you'll want kill streaks . Not being an a-hole I just don't want to see something so good turn into that awful cod game

• Like Like x 2
  20. Pilot_KC

Pilot_KC 6th Gen Pilot
    Elite Pilot

Nothing to be sorry about Pilg. This is all just purely theoretical discussion on extending existing mechanics.

Let's face it, by the time Titanfall 2 comes around, there will be new aspects to the sequel added whilst others will be retracted.

ps. I really hope there are no streaks or gun camo. The idea of gun camo makes my skin crawl.

• Like Like x 1