My Tech Test Review

Discussion in 'Titanfall 2 News & Discussion' started by SC Silver, Aug 21, 2016.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. SC Silver

SC Silver Generation 2
    Elite Pilot

Greetings, pilots. I know these pre-alpha TT review post are a dime a dozen right now, so I apologize in advance.

My First Impression:

I'll be honest, at first, wasn't a huge fan.

Then I got a feeling for the movement mechanics, switched my movement and look settings, etc.

At this point, I realized I was enjoying myself again. And the more I played, the better it got.

Granted, it doesn't feel exactly like Titanfall 1, but it's still very intuitive.

What I dislike:

-The new HUD isn't terrible, but lacks a certain simplicity that the first had.

-The two maps available for play did provide you decent wall running options, but felt considerably more narrow in scope compared to many of TF1's maps. Additionally, the open areas where the AI deploy for Bounty Hunt feel empty. If you aren't in a Titan, you notice an immediate feeling of vulnerability.

-I do miss the AI minions being all over the map. They added a certain feeling of depth to the enviroment.

-I do find the third person embarking to be a bit more jarring than the first person, but... with a little observation before jumping in, it's fairly easy to alleviate.

-The 'boost' power ups feel like an unnecessary addition to the game. I would have preferred an improved burn card system in place of this.

-I don't like that your tactical ability dictates your character model. I feel if Respawn wanted to improve customization, this was a poor first step... (plus it bothers be that a synthetic is the Stim model. That don't make a lick of sense.)

What I Like:

-The AI is considerably more clever than its predecessor. They will make use of the limited available cover, hit more than 25% of their shots and seem more hearty.

-The new game modes. Bounty Hunt is particularly fun when you have two evenly matched teams.

-The new titans. I admit, I wasn't a huge fan at first, but as I got a feeling for them, it grew on me. The titans do lack the hit and run survivability they had in 1, but... I can find no justification many people have with them saying that they feel weak. With decent planning, smart maneuvering and a good team, I was able to hold an ION chassis for a notable amount of time in several games. I admit, Titans do seem a bit less effective against an intelligent pilot now, but... they still prove a massive factor in dictating the flow of battle.

-The new 'earned' method for getting your titan. I never had an issue getting at least one or two Titans a match; three if I was on a particular hot streak. I think as people get a feeling for the game more, we might see less complaints about this.

Things I LOVED:

-The new movement mechanics require a smarter approach to every situation. By combining wall runs, bunny hops and slides, it's not difficult to gain a feeling of momentum similar to TF1.

-The new tactical abilities feel powerful, unique and great at specializing you to a role.

-The weapons have a sense of weight to them. I actually hated this at first, but grew to appreciate it.

TL;DR

Is it perfect? No.

Did I enjoy it? Very much once I got my settings straight and a feel for it.

It isn't TF1, but it's still great in its own merits.

I'll be keeping my pre-order, and look forward to seeing many of you out on the field.

• Like Like x 4
  2. BillyRueben

BillyRueben Generation 2

This. So much this.

Me and my buddies made comments about the AI more than a few times during our playtime. I was always surprised to see an AI titan duck behind cover when I tried to open up with my super laser, or when they would snipe me with the shoulder cannon. Also nice to see that the ground units are a real threat (when not in a titan).

• Like Like x 2
  3. SKWRLY

SKWRLY Generation 3

I think you'll get used to the hud. I'm one of the few pilots I know that really doesn't like the ai in objective game modes because it gets in my way. e.g. Minions in ctf

Shouldn't be there.

I think a bunch of the changes were for a more competitive atmosphere that may prolong the population and interest of the masses.

I also agree with your other points.

• Like Like x 1
    • Trolling/Spam Trolling/Spam x 1
  4. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

Good piece, I've said it before, once a bit of familiarity grows, a few kill streaks get posted up....it all gets better. TF1 was a remarkable game but now we have a new game. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. runescythe9852

runescythe9852 Generation 3

One thing I did enjoy about the AI grunts and spectres is that they would actually jump out of the way of your grenades if they happen to see you throw one towards them.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

Yah, and the Auto Titans are just dominant.

• Like Like x 1
  7. runescythe9852

I rarely ever exited my titan unless I was depositing my cash at the times it was appropriate to, but they did often go out and engage other titans and pilots, so they seem fairly competent. Since I didn't give them that special chip in favor of the 20% core ability, I would imagine them being more useful if they were on auto mode.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SC Silver

SC Silver Generation 2
    Elite Pilot

I watched them actively use the trees and rocks to avoid covering fire, grenades and big ole' Titan feet.

• Like Like x 1
  9. runescythe9852

Hopefully the game devs will fix the other issues such as the UI and possibly a general aesthetic on how out players look based on the Tactical abilities, but it is a step up from being based on our primary weapon, if only by a little bit. Even though I did adapt to the new roles and playstyles of the titans themselves, the only thing I could gripe about was the loss of shields and mobility they used to possess. I'm not even really sure if that caution taped bar that appears is actually the 'doomed' state anymore, but with the feedback on the other sites, it seems to be a more common thing everyone has in common. I still don't get how people call it a COD ripoff when virtually every game to this day does. Apologies, this is probably going to open a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened.

• Like Like x 1