New User FAQ - Read First!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Chaz, Apr 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Chaz

Chaz Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

#1 Chaz, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    Hello, new and veteran Pilots! Just decided to throw this together to help out some of the newer users and also those who are just signing up for the very first time. I'll be covering as many things as I possibly can about the site to help users get acquainted with our community. Keep in mind, this is Version 1.0, so any updates to the site/rules/locations of things will be updated accordingly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your Profile

Your profile (shown here) is your personal hub for all information. From here, you can do some pretty basic things such as setting a status message, avatar for your profile which will show up on your posts, and custom title which is displayed under your avatar on forum posts. You can also edit privacy information. On the left side of the screen there is a navigation bar that can be used to find some more specific things such as the people you have followed/ignored, signature, contact details, etc. Don't forget to click the "Save Changes" button at the bottom of the page to ensure your changes you made are updated!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Top Bar

[​IMG]

The Top Bar is the one stop shop for easy access to Your Profile, Your Inbox (where you receive private messages from staff/other users, and your Alerts. Your Alerts will notify you when someone has quoted you in a post, liked/disliked a post, or simply posted in a thread you recently posted in. You can remove any Alerts simply by hovering over it. Hovering over each element will bring up a quick menu where you can go directly to certain things in your profile, check recent Conversations you have started/engaged in, and also any alerts to posts you have recently created on a thread.

The Navigation Bar

[​IMG]

The Nav Bar is an easy way to access multiple outlets on the site.

Home/Forums - Directs you to the home page.

Donate - Will direct you to information about our Elite Pilots Program (a bunch of cool features currently and forthcoming!).

Streams - Gives user a Twitch-style view of streams of games such as Titanfall, DayZ, Battlefield 4, and more, that you can watch right here on the site.

Wiki - Provides a wiki-database of currently known information about Titanfall, the game.

Members - Directs the user to a list of the Top 20 Members in a variety of categories such as number of posts, trophy points, likes received, and more.

Leaderboards - If you have linked your Xbox Profile through your profile settings, the system will link your Gamerscore and recently played games which can be shown off for bragging rights here on the site!

There is also a Search Bar which can be used to try and search for specific threads and posts via an advanced search method. (Shown below)

[​IMG]

Our Home Page

[​IMG]

A view you're going to get
    acquainted with quite often is our Home Page/Forums. As you can see, we have a bunch of different sub-forums to help control traffic, and to make sure content/posts/threads that our members creates get put in the area. Starting from top to bottom we have:
    Titanfall Community, which consists of:
    • Announcements - Where you'll see the latest news for Titanfall or our site.
    • Introduce Yourself - A place for our newest members to announce they are ready to fight!
    • Feedback, Issues & Suggestions - FI&S can contain things for either Titanfall the game, or our site.
    Titanfall Forums, which consists of:
    • General Titanfall Discussion - Any general content/topics relating to Titanfall
    • Titanfall 360 & Xbox One - Specific content/questions about Titanfall on the Xbox Platforms
    • Titanfall PC - Specific content/questions about Titanfall on PC
    • Titanfall Creations - User Generated Content such as YouTube videos, Streams, Fan Art, etc.
    Party Up, which allows our users to create threads seeking other players on their respective platforms to play with.

The Barracks, which consists of:
    • General Gaming - Any video game discussions/content not relating to Titanfall
    • Off-Topic Lobby - Any discussions/content relating to absolutely anything
    And lastly, Headquarters, which consists of:
    • Elite Pilot's Dropship - A way for our Elite Pilots to converse and discuss anything among themselves or with Staff

On the far left there is a green envelope that indicates a new thread has opened up within that sub-forum. And on the far right, you will see the name of the most recent thread posted in, along with the user who has most recently posted in it. Also on the right side of the screen, and something useful if you have any questions, is the "Staff Online" box. From there you can see any Staff Member (@WhoIsDo, @Chaz, @Laddie13) that is currently online, and get in touch with us for any issues you may have.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Chaz

Chaz Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

#2 Chaz, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014

Posting/How to Post

Posting replies to a thread is a fairly simple affair. At the bottom of the page (depending on how old the thread is/ how many comments are on it will determine how far you need to scroll) you will see an empty box. This box is your canvas for whatever you want to say in reply to the original post.

[​IMG]

Within the reply box you'll see a toolbar filled with multiple tools that'll help you do things such as bolding, changing font size, hyperlinking, inserting images/emoticons, etc. Most of these tools are pretty straight-forward, but if you're unsure on how to use some of them just do some experimenting.

When browsing the replies on any thread, you can also do a number of things even if you don't want to contribute directly.

[​IMG]

While looking at the comment above (shoutout to @OujaStrike for being selected to participate --- unwillingly) there are options to reply directly to it, which will put the user's comment into quotes and you can then reply to them. Below that are icons which you can select to determine how you feel about a specific post. If it is something you like/dislike, found funny/creative/useful, you can click on one of those icons to indicate how you feel about the post. Be fore warned, abuse of this system more than likely will result in immediate action to be taken against those found guilty of recklessly abusing it.

Another neat trick you can use is "tagging". Similar to the way Twitter allows you to tag another user in a Tweet, you can tag any user on the site by simply putting an "@" sign followed by their name. (See above at @OujaStrike for an example)

Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's

Q: Why won't my links show up when I make a post/thread?
    A: If you're seeing a bunch of this "***************************", it most likely means you are a new user. We have spam filtering in place to stop brand new accounts from coming in and linking to something no one wants to see, or something that could be potentially malicious. Staff can view the links and determine what to do with the post from there.

Q: How do I make "*************************" go away?
    A: Once again, this falls under our spam protection/filtering. Right now we have minimum requirements in place for newer users to surpass which will allow them to bypass this protection/filtering. Our current minimum requirements are at least 15 posts of any kind, and a minimum account age of 24 hours. These minimum requirements also apply to the ability to reply to Conversations/Private Message's (PM's).

Q: Can I start a clan or advertise my own clan/site?
    A: No. There has been much discussion about this very topic from Day 1, but we have come to the consensus that our site is for users to have fun playing and discussing the game with one another. It is the reason we created the "Party Up" sub-forum, so users can meet with some new people online to play. Clan recruitment threads will be deleted without remorse.

Q: What are Elite Pilots?
    A: Elite Pilots is a group that consists of users that have graciously donated to help support the site. Each month, one user is hand-selected to join the Elite Pilot's group based on their quality of posts and contributions, free of charge. If you want to know more about the program, check out the "Donate" button on the Navigation Bar.

Q: What is the bar I see next to my profile every time I post something?
    A: That bar is a tracker for your liked/disliked content. It works similar to YouTube's like/dislike system. The more stuff you have appreciated, the more green that will show. If you have negative feedback on content/posts, you'll see red start to accumulate within the bar.

Q: What do I do if another user is trolling/pestering me?
    A: When browsing a thread and you see a post that is trolling or displaying inappropriate behavior, there is a button to report that post to Staff. All Staff can see any report, and if there is action taken for the reported incident, a resolution alert will be sent to you letting you know that something was done about it.

Q: What type of posts should I report?
    A: Typical posts you should always report are trolling posts. Other ones that fall along those lines are inappropriate behavior/language, derogatory comments made towards another user, flaming, vulgar posts, etc, etc. If you see another user being deliberately toxic, report them. Some other non-typical posts you should report are threads that have been created more than once. We understand we have a lot of members that come by every day, and not everyone wants to scour through pages of content to see if something has already been posted. Often times its just a mistake. However, it is considered clutter. Reporting a thread that has already been created helps us out immensely if we haven't already gotten to it. Also, if you find you accidentally created two threads that cover the same topic, feel free to send the report yourself. A member of Staff can take care of it with no repercussions to you at all. Threads that you find are in the wrong section should most definitely be reported as well. What good do sub-forums do if anyone can just post anywhere they want?

Q: Can I get banned from reporting too much?
    A: If you are found to be abusing the report system, or falsifying reports/claims, you may possibly face a ban. So long as you a reporting a genuine issue, you have nothing to worry about.

Q: What if I accidentally post in the wrong sub-forum/section?
    A: Reporting it or sending a member of Staff a message explaining the issue will do the trick. We can easily move your thread to a better suited location.

Q: What is the best way to get in touch with a member of Staff?
    A: Start a Conversation (Private Message) with one of us. You can also use the "Staff Online Now" box on the homepage to see if anyone is online at the moment. If not, we check our inbox every time we log on so don't be afraid to send us a private message so we can get back to you as soon as possible.

Q: Can I be a member of Staff?
    A: Staff member positions are given based on need-only basis. If you show maturity and you are an active member on the site, there is a possibility that we may come to you asking if you would like to join the team. In short, don't come to us, we'll come to you.

Q: I have a problem with my game. Help please!?
    A: If you're having an issue with Titanfall, we do have the "Feedback, Issues & Suggestions" section for people to try and alleviate any problems they may have. However, we have a search function for a reason. Many times newer members will post their problem in that section, when it could have been asked maybe 3-4 times already. Please check to make sure your problem/issue hasn't already been answered or resolved in another thread before posting. Not doing so will more than likely force us to delete your post if there is a duplicate thread already created.

Rules

Our rules here on the site are short and sweet.
    1. Post in the correct sub-forum.
    2. Don't be a jerk towards another user for any reason.
    3. If you have an argument, make it constructive.
    We're a community founded on helping others out and having fun. Things get heated sometimes, we understand. Two people might not see eye-to-eye about whether or not the MK5 Smart Pistol is overpowered or not. So long as the two parties can keep the discussion civil, everything will be fine. Constructive and in-depth discussions are something we pride ourselves on.

Like I said before, this is Version 1.0. Any changes to rules, the site, or anything at all, I'll do my best to keep this up to date. Also, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me or any member of Staff. "My door is always open!" :)

See you on the battlefield, Pilots!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.