Nightly Smart pistol rant

Discussion in 'General Titanfall discussion' started by cmoshdotcom, Mar 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. megabeast37215

megabeast37215 Generation 2

Because the Smart pistol isn't about head to head fights.. its about camping, hiding and shooting people in the back (of the head). It's an unskilled cowards weapon.

2. GeneralArmchair

GeneralArmchair Generation 2

The smart pistol is about farming NPCs and building a quick titan. If you want to camp and hide, most other weapons will net you other kills against players in a fraction of the time that it takes to kill a player with the smart pistol.

3. Mouskatool

Mouskatool Stand by for Titanfall
    Elite Pilot

The Smart Pistol is stupid as hell but it is far from OP. I'd say the only cheap weapon in the game is the shotgun. Total scrub weapon.

If anything needs to be changed it's jump kicking. I put 4 rounds from my SMG into someone's chest and they kill me with a single kick? LOL

4. Tankhunter

Tankhunter Generation 2

Honestly the smart pistol is no trouble. I used for my first few games until I got the R97 SMG, which actively outclasses it. The Shotgun also dominates it too, especially with Lead Wall.

And now at lvl 46, Using the C.A.R SMG , Compensator, and the Run-and-Gun kit with Stims, they are no trouble at all. Simply activating stims, and strafe while spraying due to no decrease in Hip Accuracy, or sprint at them and spray while they stand no chance

5. RayFromJersey

RayFromJersey Generation 4

Been using the smart pistol since I completed all the carbine challenges... Hate it.

Makes the game rather boring, but damn it sure does help with taking out groups of AI quickly.

6. Pilot Nerd

Pilot Nerd Generation 2

I have become quite the master with the smart pistol MK and I can honestly say it isn't as easy as it looks.
    I love it,it is actually my favorite weapon,it makes you into the perfect assassin. If you feel like it,watch some of my highlight reels.

Anyway back to my point. It is one of those weapons that are only good in the appropriate players hands;such as myself.
    Well,frank-fully I feel this rant has been busted. If I was the designer of that gun I would feel saddened that players would complain about a gun in such a way. Let's be honest,if it was really that good wouldn't you use it?
    The truth is,you know,and I know;it's a gun just like every other gun.
    The fact of the matter is simply that.
    It is not a god gun.
    It does not grant invincibility.
    And the auto lock is poor.

Check out my highlight reels I have some very intense kills with the smart pistol MK. And I appreciate your opinion it was a decent read.

7. SHAN

SHAN GEN 10 NONSTOP MAP-TREADIN' CROSS-COUNTRY STRYDER
    Elite Pilot

I still haven't had any issues with this weapon being in the game... I looked it up on titanfall.gamepedia:

"It is quicker to lock three rounds onto an enemy pilot for a quick one shot kill than locking three separate rounds three separate times. However, with the movement system of Titanfall it is often difficult to obtain three continuous locks. In this scenario the locked rounds can be fired first, followed up by a few quick manually aimed or targeted rounds."

I've been killed by it but even if the pilot had a shotgun or assult rifle he still would have killed me because he caught me slipping from behind. And, I actually ONLY recall getting shot and killed by the smart-pistol in instances like that. If you're in sight long enough for the third RED lock-on then you deserve to die. Too many people still trying to play this game like it's COD. Respawn wants dynamic movement, double thrusts, wall-runs, wall-hangs, multi-directional movement with speed, etc!... NOT, sole straight-forward approaches, creeping corner huggers, window campers, etc. If everyone played more dynamically rather than statically there would be a lot less complaints about the smart-pistol...

Randomness: Yea... accurately firing your weapon as you ride a zipline is freaking hard! But, I'm going to master it!

8. Pilot Nerd

Pilot Nerd Generation 2

I AGREE except I will kill you with a smart pistol no matter which way you run MUHAHAUHAUHA

9. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

Dude you are so right, its just cheap, its a cheap kill, it is right up there with dead mans hand and all those other bullshit kills, its almost as cheap as hurling C4 in FFA but not quite, its almost as cheap as camping surrounded by claymores but not quite. Its a cheap kill. Whats wrong with a cheap kill I hear you say? ANYONE can get a cheap kill. Here endeth the lesson.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pilot Nerd

Pilot Nerd Generation 2

Rubbish you sound like a big baby. No such thing as a "bullshit" kill. Any point is a fair one.

11. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

An "earned" point is a fair point. A point earned through ones perseverance, application and skill is a point to cherished and to be vaunted, to be held by the gaming gods as a point worthy of its approval. A point "taken" with a smart pistol is none of these things. Here endeth the lesson

12. Pilot Nerd

Pilot Nerd Generation 2

That is your problem right their you are thinking way to hard into things.
    In the video game world their are winners and their are losers.
    No shades of grey unless you count the cheaters,its quite simple cut and dry.
    Everything else you speak of is just extra.
    What you are saying is that you want people to play how you play,but it doesn't work that way.

13. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

That may be my problem right "there" not "their". It could be their problem though. Anyways your feeble attempts at gaming/life philosophy are commendable I suppose but I am sorry to inform you that your are patently wrong notwithstanding your indefatigable defence of this, the laziest of weapons. I don't "want" anyone to play the way I play. It is merely my humble opinion. If you are happy using the "smart pistol" (somewhat ironically named don't you think?) then good sir I am happy.

14. Pilot Nerd

Pilot Nerd Generation 2

Correct my grammar if you wish,so my reading stops there.
    Regardless,my point is that you and everyone else are wining like big fat babies.
    Some people like reds,some people like blues.
    Some people like mindlessly running around with assault rifles and shooting everything that moves;some prefer stealth and strategic ambushes.

If you suck and you cannot defeat people who wield such weaponry,practice.
    Because as I said before,a point is a point.
    And regardless how I defeat you,you lose.
    And I win.

That is the bottom line,that is what it comes down to.

15. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

I must say you are rapidly becoming quite cryptic? Who are you talking to? If you win against your imagined adversaries then as I said to you, I am happy! Its clear that sarcasm heavily ladened with incredible verbosity is beyond you. I am trolling you dude...I wish you well. :)

16. Pilot Nerd

Pilot Nerd Generation 2

You trolling level is rather weak,Sgt Rawk.
    But it was a decent debate. My closing statement is that the MK is a gun that calculates shots and most of the kills I get are not even from auto aim.(seeing as how difficult it is to lock)

One word,fines.

17. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

Dude, you just don't give up do you? I like that. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. frobalt

frobalt Generation 1

You pretty much just described an assassin. Coincidentally, the smart pistol is the Assassin's primary weapon in-game.

I'll leave that up to you to think about.

I think people are moaning about it because they're getting owned by it because they're used to being able to dodge people shooting at them and shoot back.

If anything, the biggest advantage to it is that you can kill someone before they even realise you're there. With a normal gun, you might still be killed if they catch you by surprise, but you'll know where they are before you're dead, rather than simply dying and having no chance to fight back.

I'll admit, I'm not the best FPS player out there and did use the smart pistol at first. I've now switched to SMGs (Switch to the C.A.R SMG last night) and wouldn't be comfortable using a smart pistol now.

The good thing about titanfall is that it won't be dominated by people with skill that spend a ridiculous amount of time playing; Less skilled players still stand a chance. Even if it isn't against pilots.

19. IAmVeranova

IAmVeranova Generation 2

I love running flanks with the Smart Pistol, but I'm still way more effective with the Carbine.
    Definitely not OP. Just super fun.

20. Typhon66

Typhon66 Generation 1

It doesn't matter if it is "cheap" it is in the game, use it. I personally like using the Smart Pistol and the SMGs because i prefer to be sneaky. The smart pistol general works better at being stealthy because, if you do it right, the person won't know you are there until they are dead. Leaving no time to react.

The reality of the situation is this. You are a scrub. I know, hard to believe, but it is true. I don't care if the smart pistol locked onto pilots as fast as it does grunts, I would still use it, and wouldn't care what you thought. Because at the end of the day, i am the one with the win, i am the one with the kill, you are the one who is dead. The scoreboard won't care how it happened, it only cares that it did.

Now, about this scrub business. I highly suggest reading David Sirlin's book on "Playing to Win" some of the examples relate to fighting games and Street Fighter, but the main message still applies. Seriously, read it, it will change your viewpoint on these kinds of things. I will go ahead and show you an excerpt from the book:

sirlin.net/ptw

The derogatory term “scrub” means several different things. One definition is someone (especially a game player) who is not good at something (especially a game). By this definition, we all start out as scrubs, and there is certainly no shame in that. I mean the term differently, though. A scrub is a player who is handicapped by self-imposed rules that the game knows nothing about. A scrub does not play to win.

Now, everyone begins as a poor player—it takes time to learn a game to get to a point where you know what you’re doing. There is the mistaken notion, though, that by merely continuing to play or “learn” the game, one can become a top player. In reality, the “scrub” has many more mental obstacles to overcome than anything actually going on during the game. The scrub has lost the game even before it starts. He’s lost the game even before deciding which game to play. His problem? He does not play to win.

The scrub would take great issue with this statement for he usually believes that he is playing to win, but he is bound up by an intricate construct of fictitious rules that prevents him from ever truly competing. These made-up rules vary from game to game, of course, but their character remains constant. Let’s take a fighting game off of which I’ve made my gaming career: Street Fighter.

In Street Fighter, the scrub labels a wide variety of tactics and situations “cheap.” This “cheapness” is truly the mantra of the scrub. Performing a throw on someone is often called cheap. A throw is a special kind of move that grabs an opponent and damages him, even when the opponent is defending against all other kinds of attacks. The entire purpose of the throw is to be able to damage an opponent who sits and blocks and doesn’t attack. As far as the game is concerned, throwing is an integral part of the design—it’s meant to be there—yet the scrub has constructed his own set of principles in his mind that state he should be totally impervious to all attacks while blocking. The scrub thinks of blocking as a kind of magic shield that will protect him indefinitely. Why? Exploring the reasoning is futile since the notion is ridiculous from the start.

You will not see a classic scrub throw his opponent five times in a row. But why not? What if doing so is strategically the sequence of moves that optimizes his chances of winning? Here we’ve encountered our first clash: the scrub is only willing to play to win within his own made-up mental set of rules. These rules can be staggeringly arbitrary. If you beat a scrub by throwing projectile attacks at him, keeping your distance and preventing him from getting near you—that’s cheap. If you throw him repeatedly, that’s cheap, too. We’ve covered that one. If you block for fifty seconds doing no moves, that’s cheap. Nearly anything you do that ends up making you win is a prime candidate for being called cheap. Street Fighter was just one example; I could have picked any competitive game at all.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.