Phase Shift - A Dimension of Imbalance | Paper Cut2U

Discussion in 'General Titanfall discussion' started by Papercut2u, Mar 3, 2017.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Papercut2u

Papercut2u Generation 4

Please watch till the end if you are going to comment on the balance. I want to stress that i don't think phase shift should be removed but rather that it be tweaked. I suggest at the end of the video that the base cool down of the ability go up or the tacti kill bonus reduced so that the ability can still perform its current role, while not allowing constant spamming/abuse of the ability. Let me know what you guys think.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Phase Shift is just one of those totally unrealistic things that I think has no business in the game. Just my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Pilot_KC

Pilot_KC 6th Gen Pilot
    Elite Pilot

Thank-you for the video Papercut it was really well done.

I watched it from start to finish and you aren't going to hear any counter arguments from me. When I did play Titanfall 2, I will admit I abused Phase Shift for most of the reasons you listed in your video. It was basically a superior one-stop-shop solution for getting the upper hand in more situations then what the other tactical abilities offer. Which leads onto my next point;

I have to completely agree with ensc here.

Phase Shift is basically a warning sign as to how far Titanfall 2 has moved away from its grass roots. The focus now is on superior pilot abilities which are making the titans more and more unimportant/less a threat and pilot v pilot game-play more front & centre and important (making it more like CoD).

Everyone managed to play Titanfall 1 successfully with just the stim, cloak and radar. I personally liked the additional pilot tacticals (with the exception of Phase Shift) they introduced in TF2 as they allowed for greater play-style variations and masteries. They also appeared to fit in with the Titanfall universe (they are more plausible) which was really well done. But Phase Shift? Really?

• Like Like x 2
  4. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Thanks Pilot! Appreciate that.

Very well said.

5. DARK BAWGS

DARK BAWGS Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

You must be Canadian or a Brit - hence the spelling of "centre", nice to see!

Now to my point, I have been saying this over and over - hell I am getting "blue in the face" saying it. Respawn is selling out to the "traditional FPS community" and Titans are becoming less of a focus. My concern isn't that they are adding these PvP modes it is that their timing is wrong. Investment should be in the core game and specifically maps...

Thanks for a good perspective.

• Like Like x 2
  6. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Exactly! And add Titan v. Titan to bring titans back as the centerpiece of a game called Titanfall.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DARK BAWGS

DARK BAWGS Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

Here is something else that just occurred to me. Since the Titans can't regenerate their health they die faster thus you have more PvP - I think Respawn did it just for that reason and to draw more of the FPS players in...

• Like Like x 2
  8. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Exactly! Every design decision was made to turn this into Call of Duty: Titan Edition, where titans are merely a temporary boost in an otherwise completely COD game. That is what has infuriated me ever since I started hearing what people were saying about the tech test. If people want to play COD, there are already 14 of those. Titanfall was a beautiful, unique concept that allowed you to express yourself in ways that were not available in any other games. To rip the heart out of that to make just another bland flavor of COD was a colossal mistake, and frankly, if they want to have any chance of having a TF3, then they are absolutely going to have to come out and completely admit that in no uncertain terms and state matter of factly that TF3 will be built with TF1 as it's base and the mistake that was TF2 will be thrown onto the trash heap exactly where it belongs. With only one caveat to that, where before throwing it into the trash, the Single Player Campaign will be extracted and tacked onto TF1 as a standalone before beginning TF3. However, none of the preset titan, battery crap from the Single Player will be allowed to bleed into TF3.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pilot_KC

Pilot_KC 6th Gen Pilot
    Elite Pilot

Close one DB, we're still part of the Commonwealth down here in Australia haha ;)

10. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Phase Shift isn't realistic and doesn't fit into the Titanfall universe? lmao

Must not have played one of the best missions of any FPS game to date......

• Like Like x 1
  11. Triggerman 6

Triggerman 6 Generation 2

I thought it was one of the coolest missions in the campaign too.

I use it. I see it as no different than cloak or pulse blade. It gives you a momentary advantage in a specific situation. I see it as only one tool that needs to be used effective and efficiently. By itself, it's worthless.

I had a guy yesterday where we ran past each other coming around a corner at high speed. I phased, dove to my right behind a big crate. A second or two later he came running past me in the direction I was going. I took him out as he ran down the hall. His FOV missed me in the corner of his eye. I could have done the same thing without the phase shift most likely. But would he have chased me sooner or did he pause for a second? Don't know but he was KIA...

12. DARK BAWGS

DARK BAWGS Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

That was going to be my third guess, I didn't remember you being on here before my apologize, no offense meant.

• Like Like x 1
  13. OGkraken

OGkraken Generation 3

Doesn't ronin have phase shift

14. Pilot_KC

Pilot_KC 6th Gen Pilot
    Elite Pilot

All good DB! I was not offended at all mate! I would only be to happy to be considered a Canadian too haha

15. Villain

Villain Generation 3

Damn you're good. I'm sure you know that though

16. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Phase Dash, but good point. Ronin, Scorch and Ion and any other things that turn it into an unrealistic cartoon clown show should be removed as well.

17. Villain

Villain Generation 3

Maybe I missed something. Why do you want Titans removed. If anything I want Titans added

18. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I want titans added too. I want the 3 from TF1 with fully customizable loadouts. What I want removed is anything unrealistic or cartoony (the Flame highway, the endless Laser stream). This is a shooter man. TF1 didn't have any of this goofy crap. It was an adult game. TF2 looks like it is the Alpha test of the prequel to TF1 and was created by the 2 year old kids of the developers of TF1. Let's get back to an adult shooter game is all I'm saying.

19. Villain

Villain Generation 3

Eh

Eh I guess...

I don't see much a difference in realism in a game with giant bots that drops from space with no damage, people running across walls, a handgun with tracking bullets, soldiers turning invisible versus having a Titan with a giant laser or using flammable gas and liquids as a weapon.

Just my opinion though

• Like Like x 6
  20. ThirdGuyver

ThirdGuyver Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

Love it..

• Like Like x 2