Poll: The MK5 Smart Pistol

Discussion in 'General Titanfall discussion' started by TankGaming999, Feb 17, 2014.

?
  1. It needs a buff.

8.6%
  2. It needs a nerf.

40.0%
  3. It's just right.

51.4%
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Banryu

Banryu Generation 1

Honestly only having played a small amount so far ground warfare seems to be minimal so far and using the weapons as such becomes less rewarding. However I've watched several times now where on the kill cam the person aproaches me in stealth and can sit there letting the pistol lock on and fire once without even having to aim for the most part and get an insta kill.

I'd say the pistol needs a nerf from my perspective while it is an interesting concept and feature in the game I've yet to see its true value in the game mechanics themselves other than to support bad players from having to work to attain skill.

2. Chaz

Chaz Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

That's kind of the point of the weapon. Titanfall is incredibly fast paced. Some people who aren't used to a game like this, or ever FPS' in general need somewhat of a crutch. However, the lock-on mechanic for Pilots takes much longer than that of the AI. That's the downside. Those precious seconds spent locking onto opposition could be spent firing with anothe weapon.

Also, think of it like this. If someone takes 3 seconds to lock onto you from behind, what would stop someone else with any other weapon from killing you in those 3 seconds? Cloaking doesn't really make a difference, because if they're behind you, they're behind you. Only defense against that is to habitually check your six every couple of seconds, which would inhibit you from full mobility. Cloaking with the MK5 is more so to protect the user from getting shot from other sources, rather than having a "sneaking" effect on you.

3. CuzMe

CuzMe Generation 1

It doesn't really need a nerf but imo, it needs to be removed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Monolyth

Monolyth Generation 10
    Elite Pilot

A lot of head on battles I've had with smart pistol users they go for high movement + not going for a complete lock. It is a lethal combo when used appropriately.

That being said the pistol should not auto-lock onto cloaked people, that's really all I would like to see tweaked about it. Otherwise I'm fine with it.

5. GammonMaster

GammonMaster O.G. Original Gamer Before Platform Shoes, Baby!
    Elite Pilot

It would be a great secondary. If you wall hang or use the roof tops effectively, this can be a good weapon for fast, knockout kills. Face to face, COD style, you will lose almost everytime

6. D2ultima

D2ultima Generation 4

Oh yeah. I forgot about that. The locking onto cloaked pilots is a problem (I don't mind if you can lock on while cloaked, since as soon as you fire you're uncloaked)

7. Banryu

Banryu Generation 1

Then you have players like the majority I've run into using so far that don't need a crutch using it constantly all's they do is run around and spam the pistol. Also I think 3 seconds is a bit far fetched I've watched the kill cams on myself its about 1 and a half at shortest depending on how stable they are with their mouse/game pad. If it didn't basically auto kill you and took 2 full locks to kill a pilot I wouldn't feel it to be so imba also couple it with the new burn cards such as infinite cloak and its just bad all around.

The mobility alone of pilots makes gameplay extremely fast paced which is a good thing fast pace game play is good but giving an auto lock weapon to everyone is just an excuse for bad ability to balance game play with skill vs customization of pilot load outs.

Its not always a oh you crept up on me and killed me before I ever saw you scenario allowing them to lock on either. Most times its actually them spamming the pistol because it doesn't have to lock to get hits constantly it basically makes aiming at all with it trivial at best. Even the sniper takes 2-3 hits to kill someone with unless your getting head shots and landing hits with that weapon at range on moving targets takes some amount of skill in the very least yet is less rewarding for the effort put fourth in landing the hits.

8. KLGKevin

KLGKevin Generation 2

I feel like it drops the skill level needed of the player if they can just cloak, follow someone and then instantly kill them, without any warning/notification of the lock on. I think the lock on time should at least be slightly increased and perhaps you wont have the ability to lock on while cloaked. Maybe also a warning on your HUD of what;s happening and from whih direction. If these things were touched up a bit and added then I don't think it would be as easy for the new players to instantly rank up without really putting much effort into killing the enemy.

9. Chaz

Chaz Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

Merged threads to consolidate the amount of posts we have JUST on the MK5. Guys, we know it's a heated discussion, but please do not make multiple posts about just one weapon. It causes clutter.

10. Wolfbark

Wolfbark Generation 2

Not even slightly broken since it almost instant loses most head-on fire-fights to weapons like the carbine, SMG and the shotgun (with all things kept equal like skill, health, etc). It's a strong weapon, but no more so than many of the other options like the carbine or the shotgun. It's a stealth weapon and if you play it in a stealth role, it's going to do its job well.

Also you can see when you're getting locked on with the HUD indicator, which should be an immediate warning to do a double jump (which breaks the lock more times than not).

11. ReVerb239

ReVerb239 Generation 2

I find that alot of people that have played the beta find that the smart pistol is very overpowered. I'm not a huge fan of it and no its not my most used weapon the beta carbine was. But if anything I find the pistol under powered because it has a really hard time on locking on pilots even with the faster lock-on mod and well the grunts will just be grunts. I think that to make this weapon more usable over other weapons they should add a sight slot for it cause the iron sights suck and decrease the lock on time on pilots by about half a second because I find it hardly locks on to pilots unless you are point blank and they are not moving. But this being Titanfall people can just jump and switch their course of movement in fractions of a second which I love but this make the smart pistol more of a grunt killing weapon and not a pilot killer what do you guys think?

12. Jiisuki

Jiisuki Generation 2

I think it is good the way it is. Poor up front to another pilot, ok from the back and excellent against grunts. I feel that it fits in its place nicely, but I don't really like to use it myself.

13. KingOfGaems

KingOfGaems Helpin' you in the best way, day by day.
    Elite Pilot

It doesn't need to be buffed, that's for sure. It just needs to be toned down a little bit. Not too much to make it horrible, but enough so that it takes a little bit longer time to lock onto a pilot. It seems that it is a little bit fast to lock onto a pilot, which personally, I don't like.

14. ReVerb239

ReVerb239 Generation 2

It takes too long for a pilot lock on and king I tried to look for you origin id and i cant find it :(

15. KingOfGaems

KingOfGaems Helpin' you in the best way, day by day.
    Elite Pilot

S4NELY is my origin ID. Should be able to find it?

16. Chaz

Chaz Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

I think this is the thing that needs to be said the most. The MK5 is a primary weapon. You're giving up your primary weapon slot for a pistol.

17. ARCHRONIN76

ARCHRONIN76 Generation 1

I don't like it for various reasons. First of all, the lock-on feature seems to be inconsistent-I see someone on my screen and bam I'm dead-the killcam confirms that the lock-on took a mere fraction of a second. When I use it, it does seem to take longer leaving me vulnerable to others.

The range is also inconsistent. I have yet to be able to lock on to someone at more than 50 meters or so on fracture, but I have been killed routinely by some players from across the gap of the multiplatform building (not the one next to the power turbines) while approaching from the Cliffside with the drainage pipes.

Also, when this game goes FRC, and most players reach the level cap and have unlocked everything-the point were they focus solely on K/D this gun is going to be like 50% of all non-titan-based kills. The mp40 of titanfall, if you will. Anytime I run into a lobby of level 14's I am often already finding this to be the case.

I like the idea driving this implementation and see what purpose it serves - allows for players who aren't good at aiming and shooting, but want to be able to get kills to reduce titan drop times. I think that there needs to be a better compromise than a pseudo-aimbot gun. Personally, I think specter-grunt kills do just that, but hey, I didn't develop this game.

18. Axeus

Axeus Generation 2

#38 Axeus, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    Ok I'll be honest the smart pistol was my weapon of choice in the beta for a few reasons, one 90% of the players I played against, completely ignored grunt kills in attrition, which that alone helps you win that match type, ignoring bots just to kill players is silly when you can get the bots then work on the player regardless earning points for your team.

However most people that claim that it locks on too fast and that it kills too quick also are forgetting there IS A BURN CARD FOR IT. The AMP Smart pistol takes 2 locks and 2 bullets to kill, THAT should be taken out, no changes to the smart pistol itself, not only that but the AMP also locks on faster, and seemingly at higher range.

Also in regards to the mod for the smart pistol it takes what, 3 seconds to get a full lock on a pilot which IF THEY ARE DOING WHAT THEY SHOULD BE (keeping mobile, not really standing around too long). Is much harder than it seems especially in closed door maps like Angel City, also noting the range cap. Even with the mod on it, it shaves what seems to be like half a second off in total, it doesn't bring that much of a difference out and with a team that pays attention since you lose the silencer you should be punished for that anyways.

This weapon mostly excels at grunt kills, and open maps, where as closed maps befriend smgs and shotguns and rifles do well all around. Not only is the smart pistol a primary weapon, but it puts it in perfect kill range for shotguns and smgs, and really as many have said before in a face to face scenario you are outgunned most of the time unless you had an ambush on said player.

Edit: However if there is no fire rate cap on it, there needs to be because we don't need the same scenario for CoD Mw1 happening where 50 cal snipers could fire like machine guns and get kills, or the deagle doing the same thing.

Edit 2: Also wanted to say, rifles are able to get kills easier so are smgs they can spray a wall of bullets barely aiming and get a kill why can't I lock on to you? :(

19. GeneralArmchair

GeneralArmchair Generation 2

I don't see how the amped smart pistol is any more broken than the effects of the other burn cards. Infinite cloak, infinite sprint, infinite grenades, the death-laser that is the amped carbine, etc, etc.

The amped smart pistol is WAY too good to be standard issue, but it fits right at home with the other super-strong burn card effects.