R-101C Op?

Discussion in 'General Titanfall discussion' started by Dayum Breh, Apr 27, 2014.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ThatTitanfallGuy

ThatTitanfallGuy Generation 3

Believe it. ;)

LOL! You are probably right, but its a balance that isnt that far off.
    There is a reason that this game isnt finished, and I'll continue to preach it.

This game is the largest BETA game of all time on consoles.
    Respawn is testing the market, to see if Titanfall would be worth continuing. And EVERYONE knows that it is. This is Titanfall ONE. Its the first installment of the inevitable series. They arent finished setting the base of the series' foundation, but they have all the right molding and the bricks to build it up. Now its time to actually put the pieces together.

You have to remember that this is the first game. Many people are forgetting that, simply because of how awesome the game is for a 1.0.

So would everyone just calm down and enjoy the game for what it is?
    We do not (yet) have the right to start bitching at Respawn for this and that.

Games like Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto, those are games where you can bitch at the developers and publishers because of the many iterations they've done.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

Hi mate, sorry, it was actually a rhetorical question to prove a point. A point you helped me prove my pointing out there is only ONE! Case closed yr honour.

3. ThatTitanfallGuy

Facts are facts though. So the case isnt closed. ;)

4. Legion

Legion Generation 2

What the hell of an answer is that supposed to be? What "facts are facts" are you trying to say. The fact is, in practice there is really only one assault rifle to use for "versatility" as the Hemlock has to much recoil for the usual "Burst rifle that is superior at range" role that has usually been seen.

Now I'm going to say that the R101-c in my opinion does not need a nerf, and rather i would see the Hemlock and G2a4 see buffs instead (recoil and a range buff respectively). I can see why people complain about it and to be frank some of the arguments against nerfing it have been quite terrible between "don't nerf it because vanilla is the way its meant to be" and "everyone uses it therefore its fine".

In the end i feel the main complaints of overuse can be traced back to one main issue with Titanfall, mainly the lack of weapons. It's been shown time and time again that AR's will always be the most used since their versatility makes them useful over all ranges rather than picking weapons (LMG's, Snipers, DMR's etc.) with more niche ranges and roles. This issue becomes even worse when there is only 1 AR to really pick from that's versatile as the Hemlock has to much recoil to be worth it as a superior ranged alternative. As a result, everyone has a R101-c class. Other games suffer this same problem to (think the M16A3 in BF3, the AN-94 in BO2 and the ACR in MW2/3). However these games have usually 6 or more other assault rifles to pick from, allowing for diversity between a diverse weapon class. As a result, even though you see a lot of assault rifles, it never feels like you only see one weapon. You might see a bias toward people using the ACR or M16, but its never feels like only one weapon exists on the battlefield.

Titanfall as previously mentioned only has one assault rifle (in practice). So when people want an overall versatile weapon, they have only one option. Yes their is the CAR SMG as well but often those who complain about the R101c mention the CAR in their whining as well with the same issues for the CAR as the R101.

Making this problem even worse is that the mobility dynamic more or less kills sniping unless one is extremely hard-core for sniping. This makes the weapon diversity issue even worse, as players feel like they have only 5-6 guns to chose from and want to have a weapon that does well on most scenarios from the bunch. The movement dynamic makes it really hard to play in a more defensive style, thus making more stationary weapons like the Spitfire, Kraber and the G2A4 much less effective than their call of duty counterparts since these type of weapons often rely on chokeholds and firing lanes which simply don't occur that often in Titanfall. This again pushes most players to use a weapon that can be used in the usually aggressive play style of Titanfall (which favors SMG's and Shotguns, and AR's) but that can still handle the longer range sight-line on occasion (which favors LMG's, DMR's and AR's). Notice how the AR's (R101-c) fit well enough into to both categories.

With that said, i feel the best solution to the Constant carbines is to buff the alternatives (Spitifire, G2a4 and Hemlock) as well as add more weapons.

• Like Like x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  5. ZanderStar1

ZanderStar1 Generation 2

Guy says I'm a troll and than states exactly what I said. mmhhmmm

6. ThatTitanfallGuy

The fact is the G2A4 Riffle is Riffle.... Duh.

7. Sulq

Sulq Generation 5

This.^

A.C., you never fail to come through and set things straight. Well done.

8. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

I must admit, I used the C.A.R for the first time tonight. Really spent some time to get to know it and I must agree with A.C. in that it is frighteningly good. It functions somewhere in the grey area between the high rate SMG and the carbine. I took a couple of cross map shots and picked some guys off of buildings that I thought to myself "...that shouldn't be possible with an SMG...". Perhaps I am underselling my own skills but after getting those kills, I felt sorta dirty. But getting back to A.C's point, in the hands of an accomplished slayer/parkourist (a skill I still struggle with) I would think that it would render them unbeatable.

Don't be afraid though, I am not going to howl OP on the C.A.R as I have found the little high rate SMG to be a beast with a stealthy class whilst forcing close quarters engagements - likewise I find the Carbine to be my friend when my shot is off and my reactions not in keeping with my competition. I find myself a nice roof to be on, plug in the Winnebago and light a fire and the carbine in my best friend, along with his good buddy the acog. :

9. THE_oldy

THE_oldy Generation 2

The power of various guns would differ between PC and xbox versions because of the different aiming style.

I imagine single shot/semi auto guns would be more powerful with mouse aim.
    This post seems pretty much true. The part I dissagree with is that there needs to be more weapons.

Ive always hated it when FPSs have 999 slight variations on the exact same gun. What is the point? If they are all the same you might as just have different skins for the one gun. If they arnt exactly the same one or two of the variations almost invariably is a slight favor, making the others perfectly redundant.

The only reason I can think to do this is to wank off gun enthusiasts. But where not talking about cosmetics here, where talking gameplay and balance.

This was something I was worried about before titanfall was released. Considering the developers came from COD, one of the largest offenders of cloned gun syndrome, I was pleasantly surprised. They have one gun for each type of weapon you get in a hitscan 'tactical shooter' like titanfall. A very refreshing sight.

Adding in a second AR, a clone of the carbine, will have zero effect on the issue of 'every one is usuing the same gun', except in a purely cosmetic sense.

Ultimately titanfall is not designed as a game of weapon choice, it is a game of advanced positioning and map movement. The meatyest parts of the gameplay are not in the heads up fight, but in the lead up to the fight.

If you want a game with dynamic fights between truely various types of guns, play an 'arena shooter' like quake live or to a less extent halo. If you want a game with a false variaty of cool guns you saw on tv, play bf4.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. PaperMask

PaperMask Generation 2

The R101C isn't overpowered, just different. I've lost plenty of gunfights to shotties, smart pistols, sniper rifles and jump kicks because those players are good at TF. I like to use it for its versatility with the holosight. Any weapon in the game can be countered, and the R101C is no exception.

11. ALOsman47

ALOsman47 Generation 1

The Carbine IS op i don't feel inclined to use any other gun because they suck compared to it. I love the Hemlock just cos I always love a burst rifle in an FPS for the accuracy at long range but after someone picked me off across map with a carbine I questioned why the fuck I'm using it, respawn really need to nerf it or bump up the damage/accuracy on the other guns. Btw it seriously once took me 5 bursts to kill a pilot with the Hemlock at long range I duno if it was lag or what but that is BULLSHIT, especially when I can get cross mapped from a carbine with 5 bullets how anyone can say it's not op is beyond me

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. EnslaveTheWorld

EnslaveTheWorld Generation 2

Every game needs a go-to rifle. Halo has the Battle Rifle, Titanfall has the Carbine.

• Like Like x 1
  13. THE_oldy

THE_oldy Generation 2

I think your right in that the snipey weapons dont seem to dominate the carb in their zone. They would have to have some edges though.

I haven't played a sniping role much but as people mentioned it feels wrong as titanfall promotes aggression most of the time. Sniping doesn't. Thats not to say aggressive sniping could not be made to work, I haven't tried.

And the hemlock has to be the most underpowered gun I think many agree.

14. TitanWet

TitanWet Generation 2

Its not overpowered at all!!!this is DIFFERENT to call of duty,not the same.The gripes most people seem to have are,i think,mostly related to movement speed especially at mid to long range.pilots move both horizontally and vertically,much faster than most fps making it much more difficult to make and sustain a series of hits with single/burst shot weapons.with sustained fire it is far easier to follow and hit a moving pilot thus giving the illusion that the carbine is a much stronger weapon.The smgs and shotgun certainly,for me,beat the carbine at cqc.

15. Tony at Home

Tony at Home Generation 5

1) if it doesn't have recoil, why does it do best at far ranges when fired in controlled bursts?

2) R-97 and the CAR beat its rate of fire. The R-97 leaves it in the dust at close range.

3) so what? This is completely inconsequential for wether a weapon is OP or not.

16. Tony at Home

Tony at Home Generation 5

A slight damage boost would make the G2A4 op.

Right now it takes 3 body shots to kill at close range, as each shot does 99 damage and a Pilot has 200 health. A single point increase would make it a 2 shot kill at any range within 24 meters. It would domimate.

The easy solution is to just buff the range. So it still kills in 3 body shots, but still can do so up to 33 meters, instead of taking 4 shots to kill at ranges longer than that.

The carbine doesn't get damage drop off until 32 meters, which is fine- but the fact that the G2A4 damage is penalized so much earlier (24 meters) is what kills it. Makes no sense to give a long range rifle less range than a carbine.

• Like Like x 1
  17. D4u2s0t

D4u2s0t Generation 3

I have not found any of the weapons to be op, but I HAVE found them to be situational. I do well with the carbine, but as an example I tend to lose CQC battles against SMG users. You can still win CQ againsts shotty/smg, but you have to be a stronger player. Assuming equal skill, there's plenty of situations the carbine will be outplayed.

18. ShapelessHorr0r

ShapelessHorr0r Generation 2

It does seem quite OP.

Very versatile.
    You have the ability to engage 99% of all targets. You can't do the same with most other weapons.

19. CosierZeus

CosierZeus Generation 2

Earlier on the thread I saw some guy mention how the free flowing of this game and lack of choke points has reduced the effectiveness as some weapons such as the Lmg and sniper classes. I completely agree with this. It's hard to articulate how certain guns are gonna fare in such a different gameplay as titanfall. Anyone who tries to project a certain play style from a different fps upon titanfall will most likely have a lot to learn.

Yes the carbine is all around the most effective gun. This being said I think the term "all around" gives it the illusion if being overpowered just because of the intangible advantage of having weapon that works in a lot of situations.

Because the maps offer large variety and the game pace is fast, things are ever changing, adaption to situations is the key to success...and that's exactly what the carbine gives.

20. Bull ADK

Bull ADK Generation 2

Totally agree! I hate the way in BF3 for instance there are so many AR's that you literally have to find some obscure, esoteric data table on the internet to actually see find any differences between them other than their skins. Titanfall relies more on tactics and positioning. All they need to do is buff the G2 & Hemlock to actually fill the roles they are intended for and possibly nerf the carbine just slightly so it's not outperforming sniper rifles at range. Oh yeah, and nerf the friggin jump kick. That pisses me off more than any weapon issue!