Respawn Doing Themselves A Great Disservice

Discussion in 'Titanfall 2 News & Discussion' started by ensc, Jul 4, 2016.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I think Respawn is really hurting themselves by not having all editions Standard, Deluxe and Vanguard available on all platforms. If you go to Amazon, for PC right now, all you could get is Standard. However, for PS4 you could order all 3, even though it says Vanguard is currently unavailable. Frankly, it really ticks me the hell off that it seems like they are catering to PS4 users. I mean, we PC/XBOX users have supported TF1 for 27 months now. We should be given preference in everything. PS4 users should just be lucky they are going to get to play at all. Plus, they aren't even going to add to our PC/XBOX user base. They play on their own little island so it won't help us get better matchups or get games in modes we want to play that no one plays in. If they were, then sure, I'd be willing to cater to them a little, but without that, they give us nothing, so to hell with them. PC/XBOX should get Vanguard and PS4 can have any scraps left if anything falls off the table. The real reason why I think it is a disservice Respawn is doing to themselves is that I would have already paid my money for Vanguard if it was available on PC right now. If it never is, they won't get the extra money. If it is, but not until later, I might change my mind and they won't get the extra money. I think there are probably a lot of others who would feel the same.

2. Laddie13

Laddie13 Generation 4

Sony gamers were not given the opportunity to play the first game, why should they be punished for that? I'm not sure why the vanguard edition is not available for PC, but the console versions are equal on X1 and PS4. Platform superiority is an ugly trait that too many gamers suffer from. Titanfall 2 will be available to a much larger audience by being on PS4, that's a good thing for Respawn and Titanfall, and most certainly gamers.

I have over 60 days of gameplay in Titanfall and as a long time PlayStation fan, I'm happy to finally get to play Titanfall on my platform of choice.

3. Trini Chinese

Trini Chinese Generation 7

it's a bit early and in a way to my surprise i also wondered why pc has limited options of editions , as for the consoles as mention above both xbox and ps4 have the same editions , now take in mind most console edition sales come from physical copy's unlike pc which is mostly steam based sales online content.

if you walk in a game stop or any store you see console game products on shelf , but again it's early and retailers probably don't have all the info yet . i play games on ps4 and also have a xbox 1 and will be on the ps4 at launch with titan fall 2 and very excited to play with ps4 friends who did not get to experience a great game like titan fall 1 .

As a community we should be happy that ps4 players get to experience a great game that you supported for 27 months as you put it ,it's not there fault that they did not get to play it on the platform of there choice but still gamers alike supported the game even doe they did not get the first . remember the game is limited to the amount of people that buy or play them and this time around the game will hit a bigger demographic .
    so cheer up keep tabs on it and hopefully some thing will show up keep in mind that on amazon the collector edition seem to be sold out for consoles but that may change it's a bit early am sorry i did not pre order one for my xbox 1 also but am happy i ordered it on the ps4 early .

4. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I'm not saying PS4 players should be punished, but when TF1 was mainly supported by PC players, the PC players should be given first preference if there is going to be any preference. TF1 was available on PC and XBOX, but from what I could tell the large percentage of players were on the PC. I'm glad it's open to PS4 players, but as a PC player, that adds nothing for me. As I said before, they don't even add to the user base I will be pulling from. You have 60 days in game. Well as of 4-20-16 I had 80 days in game, so now probably more like 85. I had nothing against it being opened up to PS4 players, other than it appearing they are getting preference on the Vanguard edition. However, you brought up a good point I hadn't even thought of, which actually makes me very angry about it. Not only are they not going to add to the user base PC/XBOX pull from, but they are going to make it smaller, because as you said, you had 60 hours on TF1, but now you are going to play on PS4. So tell me again, as a PC user, why the hell should I be happy about PS4 being brought in? What exactly does it do for me? From where I see it, they're stealing users from my user base and getting favoritism from Respawn over loyal PC players who made TF1 the success that it was.

5. Trini Chinese

it's not favoritism as the game bundles are the same on both consoles. it's odd that pc does not have any bundles but only time will tell and it's not like they are not bringing out the game on pc ,just that they don't have any bundles for it as of late. and remember it's a complete new game in a way this is respawn first real project as this game was in the works during and after Titan fall 1 had launch, now i understand that some players that played titan fall on pc may play in on consoles ps4 or xbox 1 and yes the pc player base grew as a lot of players / gamers did not get it on there system of choice hence the playstation and played it on the systems that the game launched on . like myself i played it on xbox 1 .
    as for titanfall being a success because it was on pc per you, i will disagree titan fall was a success because of titan fall the game was a one of a kind and a great game hence you being a fan of the game . I like many others like the game not because of what system it was on but the fact that it is a great product. what the above member had posted completely went over your head .
    any why should you not be happy the gamer base is growing more people can get to play . If the pc made the game so great like you put it then you should have noting to worry about , the game is being launched on your system of choice and you still get to play just because the version in not out on the pc is not the end you still have the game to play which is the important part. if it's the helmet that you are more interested in then get the xbox 1 version .
    how can ps4 steal it's user base if they were or had a ps4 already , remember this would not have been any different if the table were turned .
    to answer your question quote :
    why the hell should I be happy about PS4 being brought in?
    What exactly does it do for me?

1. larger player base , which brings more consumers for the product which will bring in more revenue for future launch for the company /dev's of the product .
    2. Choice , a chance for gamers like your self to have a choice to play on there system that they prefer which in turn can also bring in new potential consumers to other systems rather than the practice of exclusive / force monopoly sales .
    3. As a community it's about the GAME not the system we all are here because of Respawn and TitanFall 1 and TitanFall 2 .
    4. With larger demographic mean's more new ideas to a community other wise restricted by a limited player base , new ideas more options , better product .
    5. Better product will bring in even bigger community on your system of choice "PC " as it will attract gamers to the product / game to potential fan's to the game you like.
    6. A bigger voice to a great and growing community for the game that we all like and enjoy.
    7. An opportunity to experience the PlayStation community to enjoy a game that will now be more accessible to play if the system of choice is unavailable you can still enjoy the product .

6. rainman0211

rainman0211 Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Cat_eating_popcorn.gif

• Like Like x 4
  7. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

#7 ensc, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    OK, look, This started as me saying Respawn is hurting themselves by not making all editions available for all platforms and that if there was going to be any preference the PC should get it for the 27 months of loyal support, but now this has turned into more than that, so please allow me to explain where my pain comes from. I love this game! It is my absolute favorite video game of all time. I take it very seriously. I don't go in this game or talk about it from the persepctive of, "Aww gee whiz Wally. Can't we all just get along?" If you played as much as I have, then you should know what the true pain is.

1) The non-existent matchmaking in TF1. I provided an entire algorithm for them (see below).
    2) The non-existent policing of cheaters. And, I don't want to hear any crap about, "Oh, gee, I've not seen any cheating.", when I see guys whizzing past me across the floor inside a tight room (not bunnyhopping) at speeds completely unnatural to Titanfall even with any burn cards. If I have 85 days in the game, I know what other players are capable of and what is natural to the game. Not to mention, aimbotting, persistent rectangles with user names even through walls, freezing feet of titans and pilots, and god mode where they take no damage no matter what you do.

That is where my pain stems from, because it is because of those 2 shortcomings that the user base shrank in the first place and it is because of them that no one new sticks around, so you are left a very tiny pool of users to play a game you love. My favorite mode is hardpoint and you can never get a game except maybe there might be 1 or 2 on a weekend if you are lucky. But, even then, guess what? Guess who lives in those 1 or 2 hardpoint games? A group of cheaters playing together, so even when you can get a game for the mode you love it's not worth it, because it's all fake, because some are cheating.

So, let's just put some hypothetical numbers to this so you can see why I am not jumping up and down with glee for PS4 players. Let's say TF1 at it's best had a 2000 player user base. And let's say on a good day on a weekend now, you might get 200 total players and maximum 24 are in hardpoint. Now, let's say 25% of TF1 players now choose to play on PS4 instead of PC/XBOX, so now the original user base is down to 1500, so when it eventually gets shrunk down over time, you may end up with a good day being only 150 players with about 18 in hardpoint. You see my point?

And, I'll tell you what, after making $millions off TF1, if Respawn does not have matchmaking that guarantees an even-sided game as I laid out in my algorithm and doesn't banish cheaters permanently to a cheater server and not allow them to ever get another account, then I don't care how great of a game TF2 is, they failed in my opinion. I would have rather had them take care of those 2 things only and left everything else the same and just added some more maps than add all new bells and whistles, but leave the same non-exististent matchmaking and policing systems. Because when the user base gets down to 150, who the hell cares about the bells and whistles if there are (6) Gen 10's on the other side against you and 5 completely new players and with maybe 1 or 2 of those Gen 10's using cheater subscriptions, because they have no respect for the game or other players and Respawn just let's them get away with that crap.

Copied from my "Team balance/Matchmaking" post:
    As a computer programmer, the non-existent matchmaking algorithm is painful on so many levels. It is so obvious that they didn't even try. I laid out how I think it should work and posted it on Respawn's old forums probably about a year ago. Here is what I put there:

-Experience (must include many factors, can't rely on Prestige/Level only)
    --Prestige/Level - 25% weighted (will measure skill with multiple weapons)
    --Total In-Game Time - 25% weighted (will measure intel, knowledge of maps/modes)
    --Winning Percentage Last 10 Games In Current Mode - 50% weighted (effectiveness)
    ---P = Prestige (1 through 10, ignoring Level)
    ---T = Time Spent In-Game (up to 500 hours, anything over 500 will equal 500)
    ---W = Wins In Last 10 Games Of Current Mode
    ---this makes all 3 have a base of 10, which makes the weighting work
    ---ATTEXP = (P * 0.25) + (T/50 * 0.25) + (W * 0.5) <<< W = wins in last 10 ATT
    ---HPEXP = (P * 0.25) + (T/50 * 0.25) + (W * 0.5) <<< W = wins in last 10 HP
    ---CTFEXP = (P * 0.25) + (T/50 * 0.25) + (W * 0.5) <<< W = wins in last 10 CTF
    ---LTSEXP = (P * 0.25) + (T/50 * 0.25) + (W * 0.5) <<< W = wins in last 10 LTS
    ---MFDEXP = (P * 0.25) + (T/50 * 0.25) + (W * 0.5) <<< W = wins in last 10 MFD

-Distribution (must use holding areas)
    --when someone enters a game mode, whether an individual or a block of friends
    --they must be put in a holding area and only added into games if you are adding
    --equal numbers of players with equal experience based on algorithm above onto
    --each side at the same time
    --it is better to wait, knowing you will be entering an even game, rather than
    --getting thrown directly into a game that could be frustratingly lopsided
    --if you don't like waiting, you can always try a different server or mode

-Numbers (must have equal numbers on both sides, must make it a priority)
    --you can totally control ENTRY or game setup as described in Distribution above
    --what you cannot control is people leaving (must allow them to leave)
    --how you deal with this is treating someone leaving as an absolute emergency
    --you drop all Distribution you are currently handling and grab the best fit
    --Experience-wise for that mode to take their place immediately
    --once the emergency has been dealt with, then and only then, can
    --you resume normal Distribution

8. Trini Chinese

I believe that Respawn could be doing some thing similar if not the same to your multiplayer suggestion in balancing the game . which they are calling networks. now it may not be the exact to your suggestion or totally different , but sounds like they are going in that direction of game balance . i could be wrong.
    As for your points on cheaters , this is not an exclusive problem with Titan fall and pc gaming , which in turn is probable why players are playing on consoles rather than pc, it makes for a simpler gaming experience. and yes i do agree that being that the game launch on pc was plagued with it's faults and still you and many gamers out there stuck by it , i understand how some one would feel , lack of support so i get it to an extent to what you are saying. but you have to understand there is a bottom line with any company or business . am not saying it's the right thing to do or how to proceed but the problem lies in both the consumer and the business . it's a balance .and unfortunately it does not always go the way you may like it.
    Full respect to you for voicing your views. it's always a plus towards a better product.
    we all have been there and this is not just about a game per say , we all have experience something similar or worse , it's called time invested , seeing potential in something , where it's so close to perfection or betterment but yet noting and this is where the frustration comes from . you have and answer , you have a solution but yet noting.
    All and all it is what it is , at the end of the day as much as you disagree or agree with how the game is you can't please everyone . hopefully game wise respawn makes a great gaming experience that we all can have fun with , hopefully you get the collector edition you wanted and respawn supports pc gaming like they do for consoles, and with the bigger consumer base remember you have a bigger voice .
    and keep in mind that most of these comments are in relation to the post and not you as a gamer . Cheer up be excited the game will be out soon .
    Pilot i will see you with my titan on the battlefield , you know where i will be playing on .
    until then.Cheers.
    PREPARE FOR TITANFALL !

• Like Like x 1
  9. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Trini, I must say that I very much appreciate you taking the time to read my words and trying to be understanding. You sound like a very reasonable and kind person. Look forward to seeing you on the battlefield as well.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bruvas

Bruvas Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Marketing is marketing. It's nothing to do with loyalty, otherwise us Gen 10's would be getting a free copy :D

PS4 players missed out on round one. Some may be bitter about it. Win them back!

Doesn't matter. I'm getting it for my Xbox. Super special standard sideways upsidedown imported exported edition? Don't care. Just gimme the game already!

• Like Like x 4
  11. rainman0211

rainman0211 Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

12. Pittski

Pittski Generation 1

Well skimming over the essays. Since I wrote, and read to many in my time to want to respond in blog format.

-XB1 had a larger player base then PC. a lot more people still play to this day on XB1.
    -If Ps4 was given a chance, there would prob be a much larger PS4 fan-base. After all I can say most of us are, and still disappointed about Microsoft shifting away from gaming, which caused today's rebuild in current gen of consoles, as well pushed us more to our PS4's.
    - At the time Titanfall server stability was all Xbox had going for it. Advanced warfare was dreadful, and it was still a year away from destiny being released. There was no games to showcase the console, like Titanfall could.

As for the editions, it is all most likely in contracts to the deals they made with companies. Hence, Amazon servers going to be used with the PS4 version of the game. Amazon offers their server assistance, Respawn figured do something special in way of selling their game.

13. KernelClamjuice

KernelClamjuice Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

Wait.......we're not getting a free copy? WTF

Seriously speaking. I spoke with one of the young ladies at GameStop and she advised me that PlayStation pays to have that done.......it's not a Respawn thing.

Microsoft and XBox1 have the ability to do it also.....they simply choose not to do it..

• Like Like x 1
  14. ThirdGuyver

ThirdGuyver Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

Esnc, I empathise with your pain, I've heard some bad issues about the pc version, with dodgy matchmaking, cheats and the like.

I dont think any version will be taking away player numbers from any other version really. Grow the player base yes, this would be ideal for respawn cos they've gotta make it work and bring as much ££££ as possible. With the more 'accesible' features of tf2 a larger market is being catered for.

With the matchmaking, it may be fixed in tf2, hopefully so. ( But even then, a lot of gen 1's now are on 2nd or 3rd accounts!)

With the vanguard and maurauder corps editions, I agree it sucks if they're only bringing it out for certain formats.

Hopefully tf2 is nothing but enjoyable for you!

15. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Thank you ThirdGuyver, I appreciate your comments.

Also, this is the real solution for the best user base. All players, no matter what platform, should be in the same pool. They need to get this done now! It can't happen fast enough. Oh, I just remembered, they don't allow you to put links here, but if you haven't seen this, you may be very interested. If you do a search on Google for:
    Sony Responds to Microsoft’s Invite to Connect Xbox One and PS4 Networks
    ...it is the first GameSpot article that comes up.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Trini Chinese

Agreed, cross platform play is the way to go and since devs and publishers alike tend to charge for season pass they can use this as incentive to log on to there severs and play games with other platforms for those who don't want the option they still can play online on there system online severs. psn or xbox live . this may be closer than we think.

17. DusK

DusK Generation 2

You had me at the remark about the CEs not being available for PC, but lost me at the console elitism.

18. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

OK, I'm sorry, but I can't contain my fury over this. Before it appeared as though the Vanguard edition was available for PS4 and XBOX, but it said "Currently Unavailable". Now, you go to Amazon and you can just go ahead and order it for PS4 and XBOX, but STILL not available for PC. WTF? That makes ZERO sense! It's not like it even requires a different special version of the game. All you have to do is add the additional items to the game. That's it! Why the hell can't they just do that?

I just thought of another argument of why this makes no sense. Who in the hell do you think is more likely to have a deep love and connection to this game and be more than willing to shell out extra money to have extra goodies for the game they have so much affection for? Someone who has played it every day for 27 months (PC players)? Or, someone who hasn't played it at all (PS4 only players)?

19. Trini Chinese

that's messed up, did you call amazon and ask any questions , it will be out in 3 months any one would think they would have put it out by now , and agreed it does not make sense . so what you going to do ? are you going to get the xbox 1 edition or wait , my advise preorder it on the xbox 1 so you can lock in an order you can always cancel just before if you change your mind .
    from what i read in a earlier post it was said that the company's and not respawn pay to put the bundles together, mabe that why one has not shown up .