Respawn, Why Do You Have To Make It So Hard?

Discussion in 'Titanfall 2 News & Discussion' started by ensc, Jan 5, 2017.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

#1 ensc, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    Help me out here Respawn, because even though I disagree with almost every design decision you made, I am really trying to enjoy the game, but you make it so darn hard no matter how much I try. Let me give you some examples (and let's use 6 games for reference as an example):

1) You've made this into a traditional FPS game now, which I hate, so I am definitely not going to play Attrition or Bounty Hunt, because those favor FPS clans. The only mode you have that I can even remotely enjoy, because of the objective, is Amped Hardpoint. However, 2 months after launch, the Amped Hardpoint lobby is essentially dead most of the time on the PC. WTF? Two years and 9 months later, I can still get a game of Campaign in TF1 ANY TIME I WANT, which at least gives me almost 50% Hardpoint games in a predictable pattern. In TF2, I have no other choice. Sure, you could say, Angel City 24/7, but if I play 10 games of that I'm probably going to get like 6 games of Bounty Hunt, 3 games of Attrition and 1 game of Amped Hardpoint maybe, if I'm even lucky enough to get that one game. So with Amped Hardpoint virtually unavailable to me I really have no reason to play your game.
    2) Even if I have the patience to sit and wait 15 or 20 minutes for a game of Amped Hardpoint to get built, then during 50% of those games, I'm just starting to get into, just starting to enjoy myself, got an enemy lined up in my sights for a great kill, screen freezes, server crashes. Again, WTF? This gives me even less reason to want to try to play your game. (using our 6 games for reference, only 3 don't crash)
    3) Let's say I do get a game of Amped Hardpoint and the server doesn't crash (just remember now this is only 50% of the games that I've had to wait too long for), usually 1 out of 3 of those ends up with an FPS clan on the other side, which makes the game not even worth finishing. (using our 6 games for reference, where only 3 don't crash, that leaves us with only 2 that don't have an FPS clan on the other side).
    4) So, let's say I want to invite friends to enjoy the game with or to maybe offset any FPS clans I run into a little bit, well, you've made that even more difficult too. Even if they are my friend in Origin, I can't just right-click on their name and say "Invite To Game" anymore. I have to get them to join my Network and then invite them to a game through that way, which brings that dialog box up for them with the "Join Game" button on it that is confusing to some people and I've had to waste 10 or 15 minutes trying to explain to them what to do. If they click "Join Game" and then get impatient and click it again, it cancels it out. So again, WTF?

So basically, after having to waste 15 minutes trying to connect with a friend for a game, or just waiting for an Amped Hardpoint Game if I'm by myself, then if I get put through that agonizing waiting over and over for 6 games, then out of those I really only get 2 playable games that don't crash and don't have an FPS clan on the other side. Let's do the math here. So I have to wait 15 minutes to get in a game, then maybe the game lasts 10 minutes, so one game takes 25 minutes of my time. Therefore, 6 games is going to take 150 minutes (2-1/2 hours) of my time, and all to get 2 playable games. My time is way too valuable to be wasted like that. It is like you have zero respect for my time.

And this is not even considering the fact that you seem to have no sense of urgency to improve or add content to this game, which is sitting at 66% of the maps TF1 had at launch when TF2 is more than 2 months after launch.

Again, even though I despise your design decisions, I still try to enjoy your game. Why do you have to make it so freakin' hard?

• Like Like x 2
  2. ReedyChannel146

ReedyChannel146 Generation 2

I haven't played Amped Hardpoint in a few weeks switched more to LTS to help get better with Titan mechanics so haven't seen the lobbies size lately but have noticed the longer the wait to load the laggier the games seems to be.

The party invite is crap in this game, took me and my son quite some time to get it to work (had to change some router settings which never bothered any other game we play) and still one of us gets booted when game loads 50% of the time. Don't matter though he has given up on the game already and moved back to COD since this game is does not have enough customization like COD (his words).

If load times get to 15 minutes i will be playing something else that's for sure :mad:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Derrame

Derrame Generation 6

yep
    80% of the players are inAttrition
    to find a game for amped hardoint, you have to change the data center/server or just wait....

and the network system, it is indeed design for FPS clans, which i find very often and i just quit when i see them
    it's just pointless to play against clans, you make two steps out from the spawn point and you're dead

i don't know if the issues you listed can be changed, i'm no expert but i don't think an update can change all that

• Like Like x 1
  4. Derrame

Derrame Generation 6

do they even read this forum?

• Like Like x 1
  5. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

ABSOLUTELY!!! Thank you.

EXACTLY!!! Not fun.

Sure doesn't feel like it, does it?

6. Omega82

Omega82 Generation 5

I still think this is the most fun online shooter I have every played. When we call it traditional fps I'm sorry there is no traditional fps quite like Tf2 lol. The movement in Tf2 is so extrodinary and fun and it works so well. The guns are perfect and very fun and satisfying , the shooter mechanics are definitely superior to call of duty from top to bottom. You can play any style you want , long range , med range , close range , fast , slow whatever you want. The Melee kills are perfect , especially the highlight reel ones when you have momentum from a jump and you do a drop kick melee it's just awesome as hell. Attrition mode is hours and hours of addicting gameplay where you have the great battle with the pilots and then the awesome gameplay with the titans. I have barely played with clans and I have about 120hours played online. Most of the time since owning the game I have had ZERO problems playing by myself. Of course there are gonna be games time to time you and your team get destroyed , but then you also can destroy other teams. I don't see too big of a problem there. There had been a select few days where the game and matches felt "unplayable " or "un winnable" but for the most part I have been satisfied with the matches ive been in.

EN I know you said you hate fps mechanics but I think if you give it a chance and start to get really good at it you will see how great this game actually performs in that category. Making the guns useful and a focal point I feel is the way to go. Half the universe loves call of duty because of these reasons , to ignore this shooter side and evolution of the gun mechanics i think would be a mistake overall with the future of this series. The way you can shoot and move in this game is just so awesome and I find it extremely fun and addicting.

The only real problem I have had in Tf2 is the really weird lag that seems to happen out of nowhere, which I have mentioned plenty of times on here. It does make me feel disappointed with the game when it lags like this because I know how amazing Tf2 plays when it's running smoothly

7. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I'm glad you are enjoying the game Omega. I really am, but I think you are missing my point of this thread. Please allow me to try to better define what I was trying to say here.

1) Traditional FPS games - I've never liked them and I have no interest in getting good at them. I'm not a good killer and I don't really care to be quite honestly. With that in mind, modes like Attrition or Bounty Hunt offer nothing to me.
    2) Objective Modes (Amped Hardpoint) - Since I am not a good killer, I NEED an objective mode I enjoy where I can feel like I can contribute something to my team.
    3) Even though I don't like the changes they've made, since I paid good money for it, I would still like to try to enjoy the game.
    4) However, if I set aside 2-/12 hours to play the game and can only get 2 decent games of Amped Hardpoint during that time, this makes it very hard for me to even want to try enjoying the game.

Let me explain something that might help you understand how I feel better. I think I've already mentioned to you that TF1 was and still is my favorite video game of all time. However, there is a part of that story I've never told. Just as with TF2, I am not a good killer. I could not take 2 steps in an Attrition game without getting killed. Therefore, if my only choice in TF1 would have been Attrition, I never would have stayed, and it never would have even had a chance to become my favorite video game of all time. However, I found this other mode called Hardpoint Domination and I fell in love with it. I could contribute to my team, even lead my team as the MVP without having to kill, because I played the objectives harder than anyone else did. I might have the least amount of kills, but mine were always critical, taking or defending a hardpoint inside of the invisible boundary that surrounded the hardpoint. Fortunately, in TF1, the Hardpoint Domination lobby lived on for somewhere between 6 to 9 months and I could get a game any time I wanted. Further, even when the Hardpoint Domination lobby finally died after maybe 9 months, I could still go to the Campaign mode, where 4 out of the 9 games were Hardpoint Domination in a predictable pattern. Even to this day, I can still get a game of Campaign any time I want, even 2 years and 9 months later.

With TF2, the Amped Hardpoint lobby is essentially dead on the PC after 2 months. And, unlike TF1, there is no alternative that provides a predictable pattern of Amped Hardpoint games mixed in. This...This is why I say, "Respawn, Why Do You Have To Make It So Hard?" when I would still like to try to enjoy this game despite hating most of the design decisions.

If TF1 had been the way TF2 is, I never would have stayed...and it never would have had the chance to become my favorite video game of all time. It makes me wonder, without the opportunity to play Amped Hardpoint consistently, how many others are being driven away from TF2, because they are tired of being slaughtered every 2 steps in Attrition or Bounty Hunt?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Omega82

Omega82 Generation 5

Ok I'm following what your saying here. I guess we are coming from 2 sides of the coin at this point. Because the last 10 years I have basically just played COD. So modes like pilot vs pilot and attrition don't feel exceedingly hard to me, in fact I feel like this game is not only better than cod in every way I also feel like it's easier than Cod in a lot of ways. Also the modes I normally have always played is just tdm (team death match). So I'm basically use to the shooter and killing aspect of these kind of games. From your point of view I can understand why you are not liking the game , it's too bad that the playerbase is much smaller than it should be otherwise you would be getting much more lobbies to play in .

One of the most attractive things about cod is how agressive and easy the killing system is , it's basically like NBA jam compared to battlefield. But yea these games are clearly designed for the kill aspect and people who love specifically firing weapons in the game. But Even when you are in your Titan it's basically a kill and skill kind of game. But as a pilot if you can't kill atleast you can kill the grunts and help with the batteries. I would have to think that Respawn had always intended to make this a hybrid cod/titanfall gameplay kind of game , to me that would make the most sense . I really wish that you could find some satisfaction with the weapons and the killing part but understandably now I realize you have no interest in that.

I think the points you brought up about Tf1 how you could hack the sentry guns and how the game felt more interactive or cinematic are all great things. Hopefully if Respawn is still alive they will release an update and have more of those gameplay elements where players can contribute and feel Important without having to be a "killer".

• Like Like x 1
  9. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

#9 ensc, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Thanks for taking the time to read that and for your understanding. Yes, I believe you are correct that we are coming from 2 sides of the coin. Like I said, I'm glad you are enjoying the game. I would just like to be able to enjoy it too. For that to happen, I need a reliable way to play Amped Hardpoint any time I want. You know, I do have a suggestion that might help this. In TF1, a game would start if you just had 4 people (2 on each side). With the Amped Hardpoint interest being so thin, they should at least go back to that for that lobby (even if they want to leave the other's the way they are) rather than making it impossible to get an Amped Hardpoint game, because you won't start it until you have 12 players. Do you know how frustrating it is to see this:

"Players Found: 1/12 (0 in matches)"
    "Players Found: 2/12 (0 in matches)"
    "Players Found: 3/12 (0 in matches)"
    "Players Found: 4/12 (0 in matches)"
    "Players Found: 5/12 (0 in matches)" <<< may have waited 10 minutes to this point
    "Players Found: 4/12 (0 in matches)"
    "Players Found: 3/12 (0 in matches)"
    "Players Found: 2/12 (0 in matches)"
    "Players Found: 1/12 (0 in matches)" <<< now you've waited 15 minutes and back to square one

A game could have at least been started around the 10 minute mark and 4 or 5 people could have been enjoying themselves at least.

Even for those who love TF2, think of what not having a reliable way to get an Amped Hardpoint game might cost you in the future. I'm probably one of the most die hard TF1 fans in this community. Like I said before though, if my only choice in TF1 had been Attrition, I never would have stayed and it never would have become my favorite video game of all time. Just think how many of the strongest possible future cheerleaders for TF2 might be getting turned away before they even get started, because their only choices are pretty much Attrition or Bounty Hunt and they are getting killed every time they take 2 steps and they have no other options.

10. Trini Chinese

Trini Chinese Generation 7

i tell yuh i did not like the removal of AI in Hardpoint , i really miss the AI and what they did in the game , i know some don't like the AI in some modes but i do think that it ADDS to the experience even doe they could be annoying at times . one tends to notice the AI and there relevance when they are not there any more . i miss my AI crew :(

11. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

AI should definitely be in all game modes, maybe except for this Live Fire mode they're adding and Last Titan Standing.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ReedyChannel146

ReedyChannel146 Generation 2

I agree there should be AI in Hard point, in Attrition I find them useful sometimes, watch a group of grunts and wait till the enemy starts shooting then, it helps reveal there location.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kingkat54

Kingkat54 Generation 7

I agree with a lot of points from the OP on the forum. I never was,(or are) a great FPS-shooter player. I have a negative K/D ratio............IF that is possible! :(
    However, I really got hooked on Hardpoint Mode. It was the best game I ever played. From the first time I played it, I was hooked. I played for the objective, defended and attacked, and scored very well! I even was FIRST in many games! :) Even as my K/D was small, I was accredited with points for "playing" the game! That was very satisfying. I could play, and be supportive and help my team even with my limited skills. That was what the game was all about for me! They changed that a little, and I saw my scores begin to get a little lower, but still great fun. It is hard to find many players in Hardpoint Mode lately, even in TF1. I would like to see more games like that. This is just my opinion, and does not imply any criticism of players, the game, or the intent of Respawn and the TF series.
    Thanks for listening.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Omega82

Omega82 Generation 5

Which platform do you play on ? I never tried amped harpoint yet but it seems like people like that mode. Do you ever play attrition ?

15. Trini Chinese

it is like conquest mode but as you capture the hardpoint AKA flag and stay on it the hardpoint is amped .
    the game mode is always a great way for players to learn a map or any map, but IMO with the lack of AI you tend to get alot of camping , which can be defending also but i like part 1 hardpoint more as the AI had players on the move . if the game mode had a larger player cap let's say 12 v 12 and depending on also map design , it will be an epic experence as the game or team will have defenders , mid attackers , and offensive players all in an epic shootout to capture the hard point ,

16. Trini Chinese

depending on how i feel at time play with a defensive loadout , WALL with grenade launcher for titans combined with the primary pilot launcher , forgot the nae of it , i think it's called the mag launcher. with pilot or titan sentry , my objective is to distract the enemy if i get a kill so be it , but i do this long enough for the offensive players to cap the hardpoint my kd will be low but i have a heck of a fun time launching my mag launcher at titans and pilots so much to the other player on the receiving end it will be like a annoying fly buzzing at them making them lose there focus lol .

i still miss MY AI in the Hardpoint game mode as the maps feel way to empty at times.

17. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I am right there with you brother. I played exclusively Hardpoint Domination in TF1 for at least the first 6 months, because I too have never been a great FPS player. That is the absolutely beautiful thing about hardpoint. You don't have to be a good killer to contribute. I once saw a game where the MVP of the winning team had 0 Kills and 12 Deaths. Many might ridicule that guy, but he is exactly the guy I would want on my team, because he knew how Hardpoint was supposed to be played.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kingkat54

Kingkat54 Generation 7

PC only..................platform. ;)
    I like Hardpoint because it always played like a "domination", or "conquest" mode. A game with an objective.
    Actually, an "Operations" style mode (like in BF1) would play well too. And allow the players that like the PvP style to have that mode as well.
    Always thought a night time map, with big friggin search lights on your Titan would have been fun!:D

• Like Like x 3
  19. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Oooohh! That sounds awesome!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Kingkat54

Kingkat54 Generation 7

I know.....right? :)