Smart Pistol Change Predictions and Requests

Discussion in 'Titanfall 2 News & Discussion' started by SKWRLY, Jun 28, 2016.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. SKWRLY

SKWRLY Generation 3

The smart pistol has been confirmed for TiFa2, so how do you all think it will make its return and how would you redesign it to fit more appropriately in a competitive fps environment?

I would think it would be properly balanced by the lock-on only shooting ai and bots rather than pilots, but still retaining the tracking system as a sort of added perk by using it as your primary weapon. It's extremely useful to distinguish pilots from ai, but it shouldn't aim your bullets for you. Or perhaps it really shouldn't shoot anything at all but maybe scanning and distinguishing the different types of enemies is its main purpose in a chaotic battle, which in my opinion would more than warrant its place as a strong primary weapon.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BattleReadyPB

BattleReadyPB Generation 5

I would like to see a pilot perk that made it harder to lock on using the smartie, the cloak does it to an extent but maybe it shouldent at all.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SKWRLY

SKWRLY Generation 3

A perk like that would be too situational because it's counter is so specific to a player on the opposite team using one gun, so it would likely be unused in almost every load out.

I could see the cloak negating any lock-on effect by the smart pistol or perhaps the opposite use by the smart pistol to find hidden enemies using cloak (of course without the gun shooting for you imo). Make the gun more tactical like this without the auto kill.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bruvas

Bruvas Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Auto lock to AI, manual on PVP. Fixed! It makes it more a tool to get your titan down, rather than a WMD.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ThirdGuyver

ThirdGuyver Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

You could even have a quicker lock on but make it only lock on when aiming down sights, it would stop super kangaroo smart pistol action.....

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bruvas

Bruvas Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

That's not a bad shout either. It'll disrupt the flow of movement too. I'm really interested to see what they've done with it.

7. The Juggernaut

The Juggernaut Generation 7

Imagine if it only had a max of two lock ons per enemy? So it would still one hit kill Grunts, two shot Spectres, but it would require you to fire and then shoot once more to kill a pilot.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SKWRLY

SKWRLY Generation 3

Unfortunately I don't have to imagine because this already happens with pilots firing prematurely:p it's really not much slower because one lock on is very fast.

9. The Juggernaut

The Juggernaut Generation 7

I see. The deadliness of the SP in a head-on fight usually comes about when they are jumping around with stim like a crazed crack addict monkey. Lets just see what they do to it in Titanfall 2! Sit back, relax, and watch the fireworks.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bruvas

Bruvas Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I think it was early smart pistol discussions that launched this site :D

• Like Like x 4
  11. ThirdGuyver

ThirdGuyver Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

Ha, i can imagine that! I bet the smart pistol has ingrained itself in search engines everywhere, positive or negative, a great spread for respawns presence!

• Like Like x 2
  12. temporar

temporar Generation 2
    Elite Pilot

The Smart Pistol is so upsetting in Titanfall 1 that I would see it removed in Titanfall 2, restricted to Single Player / Training only or available for low rank players only.

If it ends up in Titanfall 2 Multiplayer let's first analyze what made it so upsetting In Titanfall:

1. Unseen pilot can lock on and kill another without the latter being able to respond in anyway. This can be done relatively easily in comparison to scoring a one shot kill with sniper rifles.

2. Highly mobile pilot has a better chance at maintaining lock on than another player at aiming and shooting with regular weapon
    Again, a skill requirement for Smart Pistol player is much lower than for the regular weapon user.

3. Smart Pistol is preferred way of handling AI. This is visible by comparing how many players decide to go for Smart Pistol in Attrition mode vs e.g. CTF.

My preferred way of addressing above issues is to:
    - reduce lock on time
    - increase single bullet damage
    - limit lock on to a single bullet
    - slightly increase range

Smart Pistol would work like Hammond / Wingman with Archer locking system. You would be able to lock on faster; but need to hit 2-3 times to score a kill.

13. Bruvas

Bruvas Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Respawn have already said that the SP will be in Titanfall 2, but they've made changes to it. What those change mean are still to be divulged of course. For all we know, the range has increased, lock on time reduced and arc of fire widened :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

OK, someone has to take the pro sp side here. Please let me preface this by saying I don't have to use it to be good. I consider myself one of the best Hardpoint players in the world and I never use it in that mode. I can get almost as high of a score in Attrition with the C.A.R. SMG as I can with the sp. However, I find the sp more enjoyable to use in Attrition, because if it is available for Attrition and Frontier Defense, it's foolish not to use it, because it is the absolute best weapon for those modes. Also, there is another reason I use it and this is the same reason I'm glad they are keeping in Titanfall 2, but they should leave it function the same or even better. The reason for that is the perpetual, endless whining of all of the holier than thou, self-proclaimed FPS gods who think they should decide what everyone should be allowed or not to do. They deserve the sp to be used, they deserve it to remain and they deserve it to be improved. Why? Oh, let me count the ways:

1) Skill - one of their biggest arguments is that the sp requires no skill. There are many weapons that require less skill that I would like to see removed from the game, but I never complain about them. I just deal with them, because I know some people enjoy them. Which ones?
    a) Arc Cannon - gee, let's shoot a lighting bolt that takes out anything within 20 yards, but then think I'm good.
    b) Triple Threat - gee, let's shoot exploding balls over half the map, but then think I'm good.
    c) Arc Mines - no one should be allowed to get a kill if they are not there to face you.
    2) Hypocrites - not only do they think they are holier than thou, but they are the biggest hypocrites in the world. If you really pay attention to the biggest sp whiners, they are using one or more of the less skilled weapons above. I would say that close to 75% of the sp whiners I see absolutely LOVE the titan sp (Arc Cannon). Unbelievable hypocrites.
    3) Lazy Defenders - I would argue that most sp whiners come from the COD world and want to use that stationary, lazy defensive posture from that game. I have no problem with sp users. No matter what gun I am using, I am extremely confident that I will beat an sp user 9 times out of 10 and the one where they get me is usually because I made a stupid mistake. The best way to learn how to defend an sp is to learn how to use it, because then you will learn how to move to defend it. If you are not willing to do that, then if you get killed by an sp, that's on you for being lazy. That's not the sp user's fault.

If they are going to get rid of or change the sp, then they sure as hell better have gotten rid of or changed the arc cannon, triple threat and arc mines.

• Like Like x 1
  15. temporar

temporar Generation 2
    Elite Pilot

ensc, let's review your arguments:
    1. "I find the sp more enjoyable to use in Attrition, because if it is available for Attrition and Frontier Defense, it's foolish not to use it, because it is the absolute best weapon for those modes". You're not actually saying why it's best, though I guess it's pretty self explanatory: its faster to kill NPCs with Smart Pistol than any other pilot weapon.
    2. "Skill - one of their biggest arguments is that the sp requires no skill." It's not about requiring "no" skill. It's about requiring relatively less skill, providing additional benefit (NPC clear) without significant drawback other than limited range.
    3. You make a point that since there are other weapons requiring less skill Smart Pistol should not be changed. And then you provide examples of.. Titan weapons and Pilot ordnance. Ok, let's go through them.
    a) Arc Cannon is good, maybe a bit OP; but it's easier to play around than SP. And it falls short to 40 mm in TvT fights.
    b) Triple Threat is a very difficult weapon to play with - anticipating enemy movement and grenade fall trajectory to secure a hit requires a lot of practice. Yes, you occasionally get lucky kills with random shots but it's not a weapon with which you can consistently outclass enemies unless you're really good and map layout helps you out.
    c) Arc Mines - you need two to kill, they are easy to spot; and you only have two of them. You also give away other ordnances, that are more useful in combat, to have them.
    Overall, your examples hardly impact the game the same way Smart Pistol does.
    4. Hypocrites. So.. because players whining about Smart Pistol use it themselves Smart Pistol should stay. Is it really a valid argument?
    5. Lazy defenders. If someone takes stationary posture while defending he/she is much easier and faster to kill with any other weapon than Smart Pistol. That's why C.A.R. SMG, EVA-8 Shotgun or R-97 Compact SMG are usually better choices in Hardpoint Domination mode. Being stationary is universally bad idea in Titanfall.

16. ThirdGuyver

ThirdGuyver Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

Valid opinions, but to add to the eternal sp debate, just a couple of my own personal thinks..

The sp does take skill to use well. Yes you can get a lot of kills, especially flanking or from behind. But face a half decent player and youre going down. Its awesome for frontier d. Boring for any other mode apart from popping grenades early.

Its part of the banter to whine about being killed by sp's. Sometimes infuriating but mostly a bit of fun from a bit of moaning. (Any weapon gets annoying when you get blasted multiple times in a row too)

I love love love the arc cannon, yoy have to be mobile with it (stryder or atlas). Ogre+arc= bad combo. 40mm whoops arc in a lot of ways. But i love the mix of peek a boo style stryder & arc.

So I see your point about being a hypocrite but humans love a whine about stuff, its a good release, and shouldn't be taken too seriously, especially when it's in the context of a video game!

• Like Like x 1
  17. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

#17 ensc, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016

18. RottweilerluvNZ

RottweilerluvNZ Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

Maybe only have it available for certain modes. I know with CTF it drives me nuts when just one of the enemy has one. A good hard core chase each other down and really putting in some shooting skill at some bouncing stimmed up freak in front of you (making you nausea's trying to keep up an on) and 'dat dat dat' you dead from behind without even a real challenge.

But then, although I've tried and so far succeeded to never use it again since a couple of months ago, I miss it for hardpoint and all that, and I wonder if there would surely be - SP's in the future?, if not ammo that can lock on to people?. TF being based in the future?

Maybe, we just have to look at it like that. It's probably likely its a realistic weapon of the future so then what burn cards can you obtain that counter it? or should there have been uniform load outs where you could utilize anti-SP locking systems or something?

Guess it's all up to preference. I know when I get dat dat datted - I go after that guy specific over someone that SMG'd me lol.

19. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Again, I don't find defending against sp's to be a problem. You just have to not be lazy and learn how to do it instead of wishing they weren't there. Good point about it possibly being a weapon of the future though.

CTF is a whole other story. I would love to play CTF if it could be a pure game, but there are 2 reasons why I don't even play it.
    1) Even though it's called Titanfall, CTF is a mode where titans should not be allowed. Just hearing that clanking around in that mode infuriates me. Pilot Hunter would be a lot more pure and fun without them as well.
    2) Many use CTF to kill farm. They could care less about the objective. They just know they have a magnet that is going to draw players in so they just sit there.

For those 2 reasons it's not worth playing and it has nothing to do with the sp.

• Like Like x 1