Titanfall Smart Pistol Nerf Suggestions

Discussion in 'Feedback, Issues & Suggestions' started by Spemoore, Dec 24, 2014.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Spemoore

Spemoore Generation 2

There's hundreds of threads about the OP Smart pistol. And as most people reply "obviously if they kill you, you're not good enough."
    I play with a few pro's who hate it as much as these people asking for it to be nerf'd. Being killed by it doesn't have to do with skill, yes, you can avoid the lock. But in objective gamemodes it's rather difficult to avoid a lock while trying to shoot the SP users (They're also likely jumping and twisting around because it won't affect the aim).
    It's genuinely hard for anyone to parkour, turn, jump and aim all at the same time. The SP completely removes the difficulty of that, making the SP user very hard to kill.
    I don't mind the default SP too much, it's been nerf'd nicely. But the Enhanced attachment for it keeps it OP. It adds ridiculous range and lock-on speed.

Honestly, I'm not saying that it needs to be taken out, but there's alternatives to nerfing it.
    1: Simply remove Enhanced Targeting. People will still complain, but without enhanced targeting it is extremely hard to beat a mediocre pilot without stealth.

Or 2 (my favorite): Make the Smart pistol a secondary weapon (barely any pistol variety anyway), and remove pilot lock-on. Make it a lvl 50 unlock. This would allow you to use it for its real purpose (killing AI) but you can still kill pilots with it via ADS (no lock).

I'm posting this now after 300+ hours of gameplay since release night at the Microsoft Studio in Austin because it's finally getting to me. I played a Pilot Skrimish game last night with fellow G10s, the entire enemy team was using SPs and talking crap. We got owned. Our skill didn't matter. I don't mind running into a single SP here and there, but when there are multiple users on every game, it becomes unbearable. Titanfall (PC) is stressful enough when you try to find a game (low playerbase). And since it went on sale, aside from the hackers, we now have to deal with almost guaranteed SP users in every lobby.

It's not "the best weapon in the game"
    But it is overpowered purely due to the movement dynamics, not the damage or lock system. And it's too easy. The Smart Pistols completely destroys Titanfall's beautiful Dynamic movement system.

• Like Like x 1
  2. rainman0211

rainman0211 Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

:eek: WARNING!!! All threads related to the Smart Pistol will self destruct in... 3,:( 2,:confused: 1:mad:... Merry Christmas.:)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dancing Titan

Dancing Titan Generation 2

i agree with your second point.
    i was rocking with a shot gun just around 10-15 minuts ago and there was this guy running with the pistal... i got a few shots on him but he moved too fast so he laned the burst before i can land my final shot to kill him.
    i like how they nerf the carbine but if the smart pistal were to be a aim down sites only weapon aginest pilots it got to have a good site.
    check out my thread on punishments on quiting the game:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Spemoore

Spemoore Generation 2

Yeah, the ADS recoil could be reduced.
    As someone who primarily runs the Kraber very efficiently, I almost never counter a SP user unless they stand still. Intelligent SP users move far too much to hit before they lock on (miss one shot, they will have a lock before you chamber another). This isn't the case with players who use other weapons, as moving in the same way most SP users do, makes it far too inaccurate or impossible to shoot.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Achmed is here

Achmed is here Generation 4

sorry i don't have a problem with killing my enemies wether they use SP or anything else, anything that comes down my sight dies

• Like Like x 1
  6. Spemoore

Spemoore Generation 2

I suppose it could be very different for console players. Aim assist alone will help you take down any SP user who is wiggling and jumping about. I can only assume that with controllers, console players parkour differently as well.
    All I can say, it that on the PC, even the best players have problems with smart pistols. Friends who go 35+ kills and <5 deaths on average games, will typically only get killed by Smart Pistols.

7. Achmed is here

Achmed is here Generation 4

fps games just are easier on pc it seems,

8. The Juggernaut

The Juggernaut Generation 7

I get what you're saying. When I jump around it's difficult to aim and the hipfire is so inaccurate. But all I can say for the console users, the smart pistol isn't bad.
    PC I realize parkour is more advanced (you can control more variables than a controller) and since everyone is having a spasm around you, a smart pistol with it's screen engulfing lock on can be effective.
    I like your second idea of making it a sidearm. But if it did become a sidearm, that thing better have ridiculously good hipfire accuracy since it wont be able to lock on to pilots.
    But really, the smart pistol is fine as it is.
    But thanks for having a down to earth post about how it could be changed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Spemoore

Spemoore Generation 2

I appreciate the genuine reply. While I disagree with your current standing on the smart pistol, I'm glad that you like the sidearm idea. Every player I've run into who doesn't use the smart pistol, has loved that idea.
    I'd like to clarify again, that this is on PC and not Xbox. Of which the community seems to have a very different opinion on the topic.
    I must say that I am disappointed that this thread isn't receiving more genuine replies and opinions. Although I understand that the Smart Pistol is a worn out discussion, I do feel as though it hasn't been truly discussed. Only complained about with armies of trolls on the side.
    I've yet to see any constructive criticism for Respawn on the smart pistol, which is why I decided to post this thread.

10. The Juggernaut

This forum has seen its far share of smart pistol hate. None of it with a good reason though.
    It's a little difficult for a console user such as myself to understand the PC combat differences. I heard a mouse is super accurate but you lack aim assist. I've seen frothyomen so I know that PC parkour maneuvers are a lot more complex than console, which is what you must be addressing.
    I remember this one fight I had with a Ghost Squad Enhanced Targeting Smart Pistol User in which he parkoured around so much as my hipfire bullets ( I was counter parkouring) were being grossly inaccurate and he killed me. That situation has stuck into my head and I make sure it doesn't happen again. This must be what your describing as common on PC.
    With Bumper Jumper (the closest control scheme to PC) it is a little difficult (not immensely) to aim down sights and jump around constantly. Is it the same for PC or can you jump and aim/shoot all at once accurately?
    I get what your saying but I just can't put that into PC context. A idea: Keep the xbox version the same, but have a dynamic lock on PC in a way. If the PC user keeps his center most dot closer to the target, it locks on faster. If the target is just on the reaches of the hip fire reticule, make it still lock on but slower. This will pressure the SP user to at least try to keep it steady.
    Sorry cant continue post I gotta go. More tomorrow. Think about my idea!

11. Spemoore

Spemoore Generation 2

The dynamic lock sounds nice, although I wouldn't suggest that it should lock on faster. If the Center dot is next to or on the pilot it should lock with the speed of enhanced targeting, if not, it should lock with the base speed of the SP. Any time the dot sways off the target, it's slowed.
    Yes, the pilot spasm is extremely common, the only people who don't spasm about are new players.
    But yes, watching Frothy is a good example of PC gameplay. FrothyOmen is a fantastic player, he's easily in the top %5 of skilled PC titanfall players. So when he's aiming while jumping and moving around, think about how he is without a doubt far above average at aiming. I played a few games with him while krabering 2 days ago while he was streaming, and he got absolutely destroyed by smart pistols. I'm not sure if anyone here was watching that stream, but it's a perfect example of what I'm talking about.
    Someone as good, or better, than Frothy, should not be able to get destroyed (not just killed) by the smart pistol. We were playing low Gen players who had just enough experience to parkour and wiggle out of shots.
    As far as Aim assist is is concerned in the discussion of the smart pistol, it's immediately easier to shoot parkouring pilots and smart pistol users, because the assist helps just enough to keep your accurate on wiggling pilots. The mouse may be more accurate, but it's a major downside as well. Some people in many games have literally used hacks to add aim assist to their mouse.

12. Darktemplar331

Darktemplar331 Generation 1

I like the 2nd nerf, I was just playing a CTF on 360 and one person was using the smart pistol, It just annoyed me to hell. A nerf I like tho, is that if you cloak, all locks on you before cloaking breaks and any locks while cloak will track you but will not actually lock onto you. This will cause many of the SP users to use their sidearms if their target cloak because they will be there waiting for the cloak to end. Because as of now, the "SP vs SP" fights are just a fight of movement and tactical ability. Cloak = win as it lets you take 6 shots worth of SP while Stim lets you take 4 shots.

13. MilladB

MilladB Generation 2

what if the smart pistol wouldn't lock on to a cloaked pilot or one with stim

14. rainman0211

rainman0211 Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

o_O Oh to hell with it. I just don't get what all this SP hate is about. I'm mean damn, if it's that bad and that hated why keep playing. When I run across a game that I don't like for whatever reason and it could possibly have me writing a bunch of post complaining about, I have the perfect hack/cheat code for it so write it down because it's kind of complicated... get pen and paper... ready... You must first eject the game disc, carefully clean disc... walk over to your window and throw the damn thing out the window and play another game that does not have a smart pistol...Maybe Pong or Burger Time. Works every time...guaranteed.:)

• Like Like x 3
  15. Hyke

Hyke Generation 2

Just simply ditch smart pistol. Its an auto aim -> cheat. You don't even need skills to use it and defending yourself against it is almost impossible with the enhanced attachment... I like this game very much but I am seriously thinking about uninstalling and never playing it again thanks to smart pistol. Please Respawn answer to our prayers!

16. ETERNALT0AST

ETERNALT0AST Generation 3

I'd rather they didn't get rid of the SP at all. I don't care if they nerf it, I don't use it, or get killed by it enough to care, but I would be upset if they decided to get rid of it. It's a defining feature of Titanfall. It has been there since the beginning. People only hate it because they think it takes no skill to use, which is BS. There are good and bad SP users just as there are good and bad carbine users, just the stigma behind the SP makes people hate it so much because it has an auto-lock. I play on PC and I find it no harder to kill an SP user than any other weapon.

If they were to nerf it I would say my suggestion would be to make it only usable up to Gen 2 L50 or something, making it a true noob weapon, or to make it a special burn card only weapon. Or even if giving an audible warning when someone begins to lock on to you.

I completely disagree about the SP destroying Titanfall's beautiful dynamic movement system, I think it's a great tool to learn how to move more effectively while taking less emphasis off of aiming. I wouldn't say it's a great main weapon but it's a refreshing tool to relearn how to stay high and stay moving. I see too many people in titanfall running along the ground or standing still to shoot.

If you are that worried about being killed so easily by people using the SP, always reserve an anti-SP class, and learn how to combat the lock-on. Jumping around like crazy won't help you unless you are in a confined space, moving backwards farther away from the SP user will help A LOT when you come up against them, the farther away the harder it is to lock, keep moving, always watch above and behind you, thats where SP users usually come from. When they are in front of you, do NOT get closer, it locks faster the closer you are. Use the cloak, it takes longer to lock. There ya go, some tips. Now get better and stop whining :p (jokes)

• Like Like x 2
  17. My Hero Iz Me

My Hero Iz Me Generation 5

"Oh my gosh take out the smart pistol":eek: " oh my gosh that's so annoying" "what the hell that dude just killed me from behind with a smart pistol" "oh my god take out the nuke eject" all I hear is whine whine whine I keep getting my kill streak ended by the smart pistol or the nuke eject or the carbine or the c.a.r. Or the arc Cannon, or the chain gun, or the Kraber one hit kills. It's so whack to hear half the community complain about half the weapons in the game. If you don't like It go back to call of duty or halo or start playing Mario kart if you can't play Titanfall. Yeah the community is small but is rather these whining kids quit the game than to hear about this everyday. I use the carbine mostly, but kids like this are the reason I keep a smart pistol class and 5 smp amped cards. I love it when I'm 16-0 and running a smart pistol and I hear the kid at the bottom of the list complain about how he's negative 55 and it's BS. Get out.

• Like Like x 2
  18. My Hero Iz Me

My Hero Iz Me Generation 5

Please do!

19. Deeszigns

Deeszigns Generation 4
    Elite Pilot

Well said Mate

20. The Juggernaut

Im going to use the smart pistol from now on. Haven't played Titanfall in a while... perfect crutch :D

• Like Like x 2