Titanfall Smart pistol

Discussion in 'Feedback, Issues & Suggestions' started by malthusian77, Jul 24, 2014.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. malthusian77

malthusian77 Generation 1

Anyone else think this is game breaking?

To me personally it takes all skill out of the game.

Completely game breaking...

Nice for newbs but... wow, totally OP for anyone who has played it for more than a day in my perspective.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. malthusian77

I don't even have to aim, or anything, auto kill multiple opponents (including PCs, although yes you have to shoot them 3 times, and again without aiming... lol). Pretty damn lame if you ask me. I enjoy a bit more skill being involved in a game I play.

3. BHubbard491

BHubbard491 Generation 2

The SP is ruining the game for me. I typically die 5 or 6 times/game to some snot with an SP. I don't really play anymore for score, so I've gotten so I just consider a "death by SP" as a glitch that resets me somewhere in the map. The worse thing about it is that I often loose a burn card.

I'd like to see the SP go away, or be made less effective somehow.

4. malthusian77

Cheers to that.

5. KeiSon

KeiSon Generation 4
    Elite Pilot

Smart Pistol does require skill just not in the aim department it requires a brain more then the other weapons. You need to have good knowledge of the maps to flank your opponents. When going one on one with pilots it requires you to have great parkour skills so you can move to avoid the pilots fire while at the same time keeping them in view to lock on.

Have been a much better player in those aspects since I had to use the smart pistol during my Gen10 challenges and still use it today and MVP pilot hunter matches with ease.

6. Brodawg

Brodawg Generation 2

agreed. i think the effectiveness against pilots is arguable, but if nothing else it's an unfair advantage in taking out groups of spectres

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Bruvas

Bruvas Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Face to face no one should beat an opponent using a smart pistol unless they manual aim and score head shots. The person facing them with a 101 / 97 etc will kill them due to the lock on time.

From a different position it's hard to say. After all, with the smart pistol you realise they are there at the point you die. If attacked with another weapon you receive the hits before you die, so you have the awareness but the same outcome.

Keep in mind that the lock range is limited so a ranged enemy will also always beat it.

Also, running head onto an opponent using the smart pistol through a doorway will result in their death too.

I think the major limitations to the weapon outweigh it's obvious advantages.

8. Bruvas

Bruvas Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

My original sentence should read you'll always beat a smart pistol user. Can't edit it properly on my mobile!

9. DirtyImpulz

DirtyImpulz Generation 2

Not true imho, there is no way to out-strafe a SP user unless you have cover you can hide behind to break the targeting. In the hands of the right person this thing just takes out the whole aiming equation, which is just plain stupid in a shooter... Sure at longer range they don't have the lock-on but that would just make it totally ridiculous.
    The whole SP-user needing a (better?) brain is just a bunch of BS if you ask me, like people who use other weapons don't have to think strategically.
    Someone who can jump around erratically without losing his target out of his sight will do great with a SP. While doing that and having an other weapon isn't quite as easy.
    Also don't forget you can still shoot the damn thing like a normal pistol. If you're limited to the lock-on function that's not the pistols fault...

In my opinion a full lock-on shouldn't insta-kill a pilot. The fact grunts etc can be farmed at ease is already a big advantage.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Evan

Evan Generation 1

Yeah, if a full lock-on took the pilot down ~75% without killing them it would totally serve to balance out this OP weapon so much more. That way they still have the opportunity to realize they've been shot and turn around like any other gun, yet give the SP user the ability to kill with one more lock-on shot.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. S 000 DeM

S 000 DeM Generation 2

If fighting SP's is a struggle for you you need to get better at the game, not whine about it. Sorry, there's just no other way to say it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. DirtyImpulz

DirtyImpulz Generation 2

It's not a struggle, just annoying as heck when some bunny-hopping person with no aiming skills can insta-kill you if he's a bit lucky. While you have to do all the efforts to avoid lock-on and have a decent aim.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. Bruvas

Bruvas Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Ok, here's the final comment. You can lock this (and surely the many others to follow) afterwards.

The SP is a terrible weapon.

I'm currently gen 8 with about 17 wins left to regen. Up to now my entire time with the SP was 1 minute, but seeing as it's a gen 9 challenge requirement, I thought I'd give it a run. It's awful.

In the time it takes to lock on grunts, using the CAR/97/101 I'd have them dead in the same time. Pilots? Bloody hell. It takes nearly treble the time to kill a pilot compared to standard guns.

No more whining. Feel sorry for those that need to use the weapon. Feel embarrassed that you died at the hands of it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. S 000 DeM

S 000 DeM Generation 2

I'm sure it is annoying when someone beats you like that, but that isn't just reason for another nerf. The other guy won at a disadvantage.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. SG_Ras_al_Ghul

SG_Ras_al_Ghul Generation 2

I only ever use sp for challenges its pretty useless against pilots from anywhere they can get a line of sight its more a sneaky shoot you in the back gun than anything else good for attrition you can kill 70 minnions a round without actually physically aiming.

16. DirtyImpulz

DirtyImpulz Generation 2

So you're claiming it's underpowered? That's not the case either.... It's a weapon that has no place in a shooter... Learn to aim yourself or just don't play a shooter, imho.
    Also claiming it's a weapon for noobs to learn the game is BS. I dare to bet more noobs are getting killed because of this weapon in non noob hands then actually getting kills themselves.
    Some kills done with that weapon would have otherwise never happened if that auto locking didn't do all the work. For example: When some titan is passing by with someone rodeoing it. "Hey look my weapon locks on to something, must be someone on there, pew pew. I am so badass...". 9/10 times without the weapon they wouldn't see it or be bothered by shooting that pilot.
    But I guess I'm just old fashion. I'm all for improving your skills instead of relying on a weapon to do it for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. S 000 DeM

S 000 DeM Generation 2

Against pilots, yes, it's absolutely terrible.

The Smart Pistol takes plenty of skill, just a type of skill that you don't typically see in shooters. It's about moving around the map and out-manuevering your opponents. I might say the Smart Pistol takes more skill to use than the laser beam of the Carbine, or the insta-kill of a shotgun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. DirtyImpulz

DirtyImpulz Generation 2

Well, I've tested it out and I'm still not convinced that it's a terrible weapon. Heck, I've mostly carried the matches I've played with for a consisting +-150 AP with atleast 15+ pilot kills. As long as you can stay moving and hopping around your survivability is high.
    Then it only comes down to waiting for the lock-on. Or you just 2 hit them with a half lock-on just to get them stressing. Or even get tricky with trowing arc grenades and shooting the nade with the lock-on right in there faces...
    But then you also have the ability to rape whole groups of grunts and specters adding more Attrition points to your score and getting you your titan much faster which results in to more destruction.

With the shotgun and the carabine you atleast have to aim... Sure the shotgun is a facemelter(with a bit too much effective range), but it still requires reflexes and some good twitch fire. The carbine on the other hand has not much recoil which is true. But that's almost for all the weapons in this game. It still requires a decent set of leading/aimingskills.

But I'll leave it for what it is. Because it seems there will always be people defending it and people hating it. I just can't help feeling cheap when I use it...

19. malthusian77

Well... I just fired up this game again, and ran into the same issue. 8 out of 10 deaths were at the hands of a player with a smart pistol who had their sight no where near me (as shown on the replays.)

I was one of the first to say it, and I continue to say it, this weapon is game breaking.

The developers, at the very least should provide an option for matches that don't allow Smart Pistols, AKA Dumb Pistols, or Skill-less pistols.

20. Striker

Striker Generation 2

Those of you saying you don't have to aim have never used the pistol, or don't know what aim means. You have to AIM at a pilot for about 3 seconds, which would be an easy death with the carbine, smg and pretty much beats out anything other sight to kill weapon. If you're in their sights for 3 seconds, you earned a death, as it's slower to kill than any other weapon you sight them with.

That being said, as in the beta, I wouldn't be opposed to a "pilot lock on" message when you're being painted by the smart pistol. Which brings me to my last point. The smart pistol is not a straight up assault rifle type gun. It's a target painter, requiring parkour and target following to nail a pilot.