Titanfall Suggestions for Titanfall 2's campaign

Discussion in 'Feedback, Issues & Suggestions' started by MilladB, Jan 18, 2015.

?
  1. yes, completely

2. maybe a but different

3. no

Results are only viewable after voting.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. MilladB

MilladB Generation 2

This is a letter to Respawn the makers of Titanfall I also shared in the forums for more suggestions

Dear Respawn

You guys made an awesome multilayer game, and revolutionized movement in a genre growing stale. The multilayer experience was probably the best I have played in 2014 but critics and I all agree, the campaign was lacking. Now, given the success from this game, hopefully EA will give you a larger budget and more resources to improve for the sequel. Here is what I suggest.

You guys created a universe for this game complete with two sides fighting, mech technology, the R101 platform for guns, planets, artificial gravity, and Hammond robotics that weren't really used to full effect in the story. Your next games story could be loosely based on Code Geass (a mecha anime) with someone from the IMC learning how evil the IMC is and defecting to the militia and someone from the Militia who joins the IMC in hopes of changing the IMC from the inside by joining the Ranks. These two could be childhood friends who are the best in their respective teams but not know they are fighting each other as they only meet wearing their pilot uniforms and in titans. They could serve as the main protagonists of each side that the player plays as for each campaign. How you guys take it from there is up to the writers.

For the game play side of the campaign, making it another extremely linear campaign like recent call of duty games in not the way to go. Make it open ended with each mission have multiple ways to complete it. I'm not asking for as many ways as Deus ex, but I would at least like to have more than one. Have classes based on tactical abilities. For the first few campaign levels, design them with a stim based class with SMG's in mind or assault classes with active radar pulse with assault rifles, or a class with a temporary shield and an LMG. The point is to make fast paced action packed levels with explosions and cinematic explosions and chases like Call of duty Modern warfare 2, and lots or titan combat with no breaks to catch a breath. Then slow down the pace dramatically with a stealth mission where the player can only play as a sniper or spotter that has to move around the battlefield undetected, or a pilot with a cloak and suppressed weapon. Call of duty 4 Modern warfare's all ghillied up mission was universally praised because of the huge change of pace. The rest of the levels can be open ended with multiple ways to complete each level.

Another problem with Titanfall's campaign was the underwhelming ending. If You wan't to leave an impression, you need a boss battle. My suggestion is a boss battle similar to Shadow of the Colossus with a huge Titan built by Hammond instead and multiple weak spots each with a different way reach. One might require a well placed shot, another might require scaling a huge building to get to the top of the titan, one might require a well placed titan fall, one might require blowing up a bridge that its waling on ect. You guys make the rest. This could be the boss fight at the end of the game.

Here are a few level Idea's you could include:

If you guys want to put a boss fight in the middle of the game, how about leaving the IMC protagonist alone in an abandoned ship with a squad of pilots looking for him. The player could have no ammo and need to sneak past the pilots to find ammo, then take them out one by one. They could be taken out by blowing one up, from behind, by a smart pistol, from long range. The point is that each pilot must be taken out a different way, with the pilots learning every time one gets killed. after all, they are smart pilots and not grunts.

Something I found was that, you guys invented artificial gravity for the ships in the game that were never used outside of the intros to battles. That was a wasted opportunity. They could be explained as pads that manipulate gravitons (gravity particles look it up) to make artificial gravity. If there was one level where these pads are littered around the level, there could be some really trippy gunfights, where some people are upside down, titans are walking in spirals and jumping from one platform to another could change gravity. I have never seen this in a first person shooter before so that could be cool/ I have seen it in a portal 2 custom map which uses the same engine that powers titanfall so it can be done.

As for another complaint people, have about titanfall is the lack of guns. Honestly, you don't need 100,000 different guns like in Borderlands 2, so long as the guns you have are very different. I know Respawn is 1/3 of the team it used to be when you guys were still Infinity Ward, but EA has the capital to fund this and it could be their next money maker. You guys already have he multilayer nailed down, so it looks lie Titanfall 2 could be the next game of the year. Keep up the good work.

People in the forums, if you have anything to add please let me know.

2. MilladB

MilladB Generation 2

another Idea, a snow level either in the campaign or multilayer. Titanfall is fast paced as it is but think about when there is ice to slide on and ice structures to hang on. It would also be cool if there was a cave underneath the map with an ice ceiling that can be broken with a titanfall or ice structures that can be shot down, small ones to kill enemies and large ones to block paths. Also since its a snowy level, a snowstorm event could happen some time in the round that wouldn't allow you to see very far but only in a certain section of the map. Also since its cold, freezing players who stand still and camp too long would help balance the game. It is do able with the source engine, and the engine would help with the destruction physics. It would be awesome

3. Achmed is here

Achmed is here Generation 4

and easter eggs don't forget those :-D

4. MilladB

MilladB Generation 2

• grunts to control map flow
    • turret level
    yes more things to add

I problem I find with titanfall maps is that they all have the exact same flow or to be precise, none of them have flow, well at least for pilots. For titans, the paths in most maps could direct combat and were different from each other. I get that it is easier to direct the flow of combat with players that have limited mobility, but you don't need to choose between mobility and good player flow. The reason all maps play the same is because aside from titans, flags, hardpoints and marks for death, in attrition, there is no incentive to seek out other players. Everyone is after grunts and spectres to get their titans faster so everyone just spreads out and tries to be their own Rambo instead of working as a team. Most fps games without the mobility of titanfall rely on objectives to direct the flow of combat. Counter Strikes's dust_2 is a perfect example of driving players around the map to get to objectives while the counter terrorists split up to fan out or defend. meanwhile fps maps like nuketown from call of duty black ops have player kill incentives with players on each side and simple paths, and choke points pushing players to either camp or rush forward. What titanfall needs is to use groups or squads of grunts to direct player controlled pilots to where you want them to go. this can give one map many potential flow patterns based on grunt AI. combine this with new maps built with this in mind and titanfall 2 may last a lot longer than 1 month in someone's origin library.

As for another suggestion, this is one for a campaign level. I've been watching a lot of attack on titan recently, and I thought trost would make a perfect arena. If one walled city were under attack by titans with titans all over the city, it would make for a perfect campaign level. the player could have the choice of staying at the wall with a bunch of cannons switching from cannon to cannon while setting traps along the way and commanding friendly pilots to rodeo titans. Or they could jump around the city trying to rodeo the titans and setting up satchel charge traps, and commanding the cannons marking titans. just a thought

5. Achmed is here

Achmed is here Generation 4

my priority is players then bots