The Fun Is At "B"

Discussion in 'Titanfall 2 News & Discussion' started by ensc, Nov 25, 2016.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I loved Hardpoint in the first game and I love Amped Hardpoint in the second one. Normally, I take the objectives very seriously. If I see we need a hardpoint, I go get it. If I see we have 2, I'll play defense.

However, I've found something very different about TF2, perhaps mostly due to the choke points I was not a big fan of, but I must admit they present something I cannot get enough of. It's almost like when you find that thing you love to do and you get so engaged in it that you lose all track of time, because you are just having so much fun. I enjoy the battles at the "B" hardpoints so much that I don't even care if we win the game or not. Think about the "B" hardpoints on Complex, Forwardbase Kodai, Eden, Exoplanet, Homestead... Heck, all of them quite frankly.

The battles at "B" are epic, especially in the beginning of the game before any titans drop and I just can't get enough of it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Derrame

Derrame Generation 6

yes, absolutely, A or C are near the spawn points, so they are easy captured or lost, but B is in the middle and in most of the maps, if not all, there are very few cover, so most of the time you are exposed, so ther is always a tough battle to capture or defend, and because A or B are already captured, the team who captures B wins, so it's reall fun, anything can happen

• Like Like x 2
  3. DARK BAWGS

DARK BAWGS Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

Amped is my fav game and you guys are right on. I'm not good at one on one gun fights so I usually take a beating at "B". While you gun slinger types fight it out I focus on the other two. Helps my score and usually draws some of the enemies away from B to help the team.

Just good fun!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Getmused

Getmused Generation 4

I know this may seem silly to some but why are hardpoint and ctf considered "competitive"

I never really play objective based games.

Just curious bc I like competition

• Like Like x 1
  5. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

#5 ensc, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    It's not silly. I'm sure a lot of people may think like you and wonder the same thing. I think it just depends on what your idea of competition is. For example, if you are an MMA fighter, you might wonder what is so competitive about chess. I think it is the same principle here. If you are someone who just wants to kill more pilots and titans than the other guy, then you would find Attrition and Bounty Hunt very competitive, but you may not get the point of HP or CTF, because you are running around getting the most kills and your team loses. I actually love guys like that, because they just don't get the mode and they are just playing Attrition in the middle of a Hardpoint game. :) Makes my life that much easier. HP and CTF provide another objective other than just killing. If you are a good killer, it can help you meet that objective if you are actually playing the objective, but if you're just wandering around aimlessly oblivious to the objective and just trying to be the master killer of the universe, it's not going to help your team. I personally find Hardpoint very competitive and I do almost think of it as more of a chess match. A chess match with some epic battles when trying to capture pieces, but still a chess match. It just adds another layer to the game besides just the killing. The people who are the absolute best at hardpoint are the ones who get that it has absolutely nothing to do with K/D ratio. It's all about Assault and Defense, but primarily Defense. If you play Defense every time you have 2 hardpoints, your team is going to win. Just as an example of how it is not about K/D, I once saw a game where the MVP of the winning team had 0 Kills and 12 Deaths. Many might ridicule that guy, but I love Hardpoint, that guy gets it and he is a guy I'd want on my team, because if he can be MVP with that K/D ratio, it tells me he knows exactly what is important in the game of Hardpoint and exactly what is not important in the game of Hardpoint and that's all I need to know.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Getmused

Getmused Generation 4

Thanks for reply.

I know all games could be competitive but I always here things like "if you want to play a competitive game play hp or ctf". Players usually say this while playing attrition.

So I was just curious if attrition wasn't considered competitive?

But I think your explanation of killer was great.

I should start playing other modes but really wouldn't know where to start.

Also I know that the other objective games would need players w mics.

It drives me crazy when ppl don't communicate. And if no one communicated during objective modes id loose it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. DARK BAWGS

DARK BAWGS Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

Interesting I just finished a AHpoint game and was (wonders never cease) first (MVP) and we won. I had six kills on the other team was a player with 14 kills no Defense or Assault points at all - but what a killer! My k/d will be embarassing because I don't think about it when playing AHpoint, which is what I mostly play.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I hope you enjoy HP or CTF if you try them.

The communication is a matter of preference. Could you do better if you are communicating? Maybe. However, I prefer not to. I'm not saying I'm not on a mic with my friends sometimes while playing, because I am. What I am saying is that if we are on mics and in the same game, we NEVER communicate strategy or are looking to help each other out. It is just my personal preference, but I frown upon it for 2 reasons:
    1) The nature of Titanfall is strangers against strangers and with the already poor balance that can make lopsided games, if one team is communicating strategy it gives them an unfair advantage, in my opinion, over the other team and is disrespectful to the nature of the game.
    2) I want to be the strongest independent player I can possibly be. If I start relying on teammates to cover my back or help get the job done, then when I am in a game and they are not there I am going to be so lost and so weak.

This philosophy has a seriously good payoff. For example, in TF1, one time I hopped on and sent a message to my one friend asking what he was playing and if he minded if I joined him. He said, "Hardpoint, but we are playing against a pro clan and getting destroyed." I joined and it was right at the beginning of a Hardpoint match on Demeter. There were 6 Gen 10s on both sides. You could tell by looking at the names on the other team that at least 4 of them play together all the time. On my team, it was my buddy and a couple guys I've seen the names of before, but never talked to. I was not mic'd up to any of them. My team won and I was the MVP of the winning team and the clan was furious. :) This could never happen if my focus was not on being the strongest independant player that I can possibly be.

Also, my favorite buddy to play hardpoint with, I have never spoken to with mics. We have only ever chatted and we never ever talk strategy. He was my biggest nemesis in HP in TF1, so I finally got sick of it and sent him a Friend Request. What is funny is that I am the only person who has ever sent him a Friend Request. This made me respect him even more, because now I knew for sure that the whole time he was kicking my butt he was doing it as a strong, independant player just like me. When him and I are in a game together, even if we have 4 brand new players on our team, I don't care who is on the other side, I know we are going to win and we never communicate during the game at all.

My point is communication is not necessary for these modes and it might actually make you stronger if you try to get good at them without doing it. But hey, if you would prefer to communicate, to each his own.

9. ThirdGuyver

ThirdGuyver Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

"Clean up on aisle B please:D"

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Getmused

Getmused Generation 4

Ensc. Excellent post. Oddly enough I found it very insightful. I'm mostly almost exclusively a loner, when playing games. So the fact that you don't need communication for the objective games is perfect.

I just figured in order to win you'd have to communicate.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  11. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Congrats DARK!!! It's a good feeling, huh?

Exactly! :)

Thanks Getmused! I appreciate it. I'm a lone wolf myself and Hardpoint has always been my favorite mode. Just because we are alone does not me we cannot be strong. A team is only as strong as it's weakest player. I like to make myself so strong that when I get thrown onto any team it is like them getting an extra 2 players, maybe even 2.5 or 3. That way even if my team has weak players they can just go ahead and hop on my shoulders. I'm cool with that. This would also explain the outcome of that game of 6 Gen 10s against 6 Gen 10s in a clan I described above. What that clan didn't realize was that when I joined the team they were facing it was now like it was 7 against 6 or even 8 against 6. I just like to live by the philosophy that I will expect more from myself than anyone else ever could.

12. DARK BAWGS

DARK BAWGS Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

En, I agree with you about being a lone wolf, I like to mic up with folks so between match we can socialize and compare notes from the previous game. During the game I am pretty quiet and try to focus on my strategy, I have found that with a few exceptions those who think they are the next General Colin Powell just don't get it, they create more confusion rather than help and often they wind up ranting at the other players...

13. Bruvas

Bruvas Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Hardpoint maps with linear control points are always the best ones. That nervous feeling that you get when you're the sole person capping the one nearest their spawn and like @ensc has said, the car crash battles at the mid point.

I played a few rounds of Battlefield One last night, predominantly on Domination, but they set out the points in a circular fashion. On a few occasions it seemed both teams were moving counter-clockwise capping the previously lost flag. Never saw an enemy for ages....

14. DARK BAWGS

DARK BAWGS Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

In thinking about it my simple mind says to have competition you need to have a way to get a goal. if you took away the end zones in football it would just be who made the most blocks and tackles. On the other hand blocks and tackles facilitate getting across the goal line. The same in objective based games the kills are only there to assist in getting the goal. This way you have a very clear way to measure the winner. At least it makes sense to me!

15. Getmused

Getmused Generation 4

Thanks for the replies everyone but I think I didn't clarify my point.

While playing attrition players have made comments that objective modes were competitive while attrition wasn't.

I'm curious if this is true and if so why are objective modes considered competitive and attrition not?

16. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Exactly right! Everyone wants to be a General, but then they blame the troops when their own plans fail.

Yes, that nervous feeling is great and the mid point car crashes are a beautiful thing.

Excellent analogy DARK!!!

I think both are competitive Getmused. If you use DARK's analogy. Attrition is like football without the end zones. It is still competitive, but it is just who made the most blocks and tackles. In Attrition it is just who got the most kills, but it is extremely competitive. Hardpoint would be more like football with the end zones. You still can block and tackle, but the objective is to get into the end zone and score touchdowns. In Hardpoint, you can still get kills, but the objective is to capture and hold hardpoints. This is also extremely competitive, but it is a different type of competition, because the team with the most kills does not necessarly win in Hardpoint, because that is not the objective. Hope that helps.

17. Getmused

Getmused Generation 4

Ensc again thanks for reply. I just thought I was missing something. Like everyone else knew objective modes were competitive and attrition wasn't.

Either way I completely agree on both being competitive and when school lets out in a cpl weeks I'm gonna dive into some objective modes.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

No problem. Glad if I was able to help. I really appreciated DARK's football analogy, because that really helped to describe it better.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DARK BAWGS

DARK BAWGS Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

#19 DARK BAWGS, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    Go for it! As I mentioned in a previous post I am not good at one-on-one gun fights; in fact I suck! Like I have said by the time I get my hand off the walker I am dead!

I find that in Objective game modes I have a better chance of doing well. In Attrition is it rare that I am in the top three while in Hardpoint I am often in the top three and quite often am first. My best score saw me with 1,100 Assault points and 2,200 Defense points and - now get this - 0 kills! Yes I got whacked a lot while trying to Amp the Hardpoint but in the end it all worked out. Just don't worry about your k/d. I do find when I have a higher kill total it is because I catch campers at the "Bank" in Bounty Hunt or the Ampted Point and use my Map Hack to find them then cloak or Stim in to get the kill.

I am sure others (especially Ensc) can give you some better suggestions but those are strategies and thoughts that work for me...

• Like Like x 1
  20. Getmused

Getmused Generation 4

Nice!
    If you're not killing ppl

How do you get points

Do you kill grunts

What are defense points

• Like Like x 1