The new matchmaking is going to make me quit this game!

Discussion in 'General Titanfall discussion' started by Valkilmergotfat, Apr 4, 2014.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Valkilmergotfat

Valkilmergotfat Generation 2

I have been a die hard Titanfall and Call of duty player for years now. I have recently Gen 10 on titanfall and really enjoyed the whole experience with this new game. It feels fresh and it was a shot in the arm for Multiplayer first person shooters. Unfortunately my fun ended this morning as the new matchmaking was integrated into they game. I understand that you are ambitious and probably trying to distance yourself with the way COD does things but this Skill based matchmaking might be the death of your game. I'm all for competition occasionally but I also like the times where you play lesser opponents. I feel now that the game has become unneccesarily competive and now I have to struggle every game. I could understand if this was a league but I just want to have fun , not forced to play people of my skill level or above EVERY game. Occasionally yes but not all the time. Another issue is how long it takes to get into a game now. The fun thing about playing these games is that you and a buddy can get on and at some point in the night you will get to play that team that is inferior...now it's just hardcore players ALL THE TIME. Im not in the minority on this and I am pretty much hanging up my Titan. The game tonight was a constant struggle and started to be one no fun. I know there will be people who will say competitn is good but I just don't want it every game..it's supposed to fun too not just hard ore players all the time

2. ChongSparks

ChongSparks Life is like a box of chocolates
    Elite Pilot

You also got to look at it from the opponents side, maybe they didn't see it fair before when every match they played all they got was a dose of wup ass.
    Im not a very good titanfall player and I do like to play people with the same or similar skill as it makes it fairer for me and the oposition.
    I can understand that you like to have a great K/D ratio, dont we all, but you have to put yourself in the op,s shoes

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bardiel18

Bardiel18 Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

So basically, you prefer to grief players that aren't very good?

Look, I like being able to pull off a massive win, but the best games (for me at least) are the ones that are always really close throughout the match. And if not that, then the matches where you come from behind to win.

The challenge is there so that the matches are much more closely/evenly matched. Makes sense, don't you think?

I could do without the longer match finding, but they'll hopefully get that sorted in the future.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Valkilmergotfat

I don't mind competitive games and I could care less about my kd but I like to have fun with a friend and losing constantly because your friend is a level 3 and you are a level 10 and the room is filled with level 4 and highers doesn't really solve that problem.....I don't need to blow a team out every game but I like the hope that it will happen eventually

5. Bardiel18

Bardiel18 Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

That's what Respawn are aiming to do with the new matchmaking though - if you cop enough losses, the other team is split up and scattered; then new players whose skill levels are lower come in to fill the gaps and balance the total skill level of the team.

6. Valkilmergotfat

Everything just feel ultra competitive now....I like to have fun ....I Iike to dominate some newwbs ...it doesn't have to be all the time. I like the way call of duty did it....I like room shuffling....I also like that you could check a players kd ratio to find out how overmatched you were. I undertsand that there are people who like competive games all the time....I am not that kind of person....I like them some of the time.

7. Bear

Bear That ain't falco.
    Elite Pilot

Pub stomping is fun until it happens to you.

Pretty much what skill-based matchmaking is. Have yer friend host the game, it might get players of his skill instead.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Argonomic

Argonomic Generation 1
    Respawn

Thanks for the feedback!

The matchmaking is designed to result in all players getting closer to a 50% win and loss record. If the game seems harder, or a "struggle", it is because it is working. You're not going to win and lose the same number of matches if the matches are not difficulty.

The goal is to get them on the razor's edge of difficulty. Playing tonight, I had a game go 300 297, and a game go 300 299. I also had some where it didn't work that well, due to matches starting with odd player counts, but we will be improving that aspect.

• Like Like x 1
  9. daennika

daennika Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

My game sessions are usually on the losing side, and only won once yesterday. Hopefully this skill-based matchmaking will get players to focus more on teamplay... But one can dream.

10. Valkilmergotfat

I'm just not sure the community as a whole is concerned about close games...they are fun some of the time but I guess I could be wrong

11. A.C

A.C Generation 4

#11 A.C, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    My issue with the matchmaking is the prioritisation of supposed 'skill' over connection and this is resulting in massive delays in finding suitable lobbies, or lobbies that have 4v3. I have played 2 sessions since the implementation of the matchmaking updates to pubs Attrition and have found that I have wasted a lot of time struggling to find a game.

Pre-patch, I was finding games galore.

And in terms of skill, I honestly cannot say that I have noticed any more competitiveness... I still seem to end up on low-skilled teams that are getting crushed with team mates contributing with massive amounts of negative deaths and only returning 1-2 Pilot kills.

What I am noticing though is that before I at least used to get juggernaut team mates, now, I'm finding that every single match I play I am losing.

I am still holding a 2.9 pilot on pilot KD (2.8 actually, but I'd put that down to completing the EVA-8 Gen 2 pilot kills challenge - and likely to be back up to 2.9 once I get the carbine or an SMG back). I am still contributing between 60-90 Attrition points regularly (with the odd poor game and the odd 100+), so I'm still doing what I need to be doing and am doing it regularly.

I am all for skills based match-making but as a solo player I am fed up of taking losses for weak players, I'm not one to back out of lobbies because I think that I am good enough to hold my own (as I have been doing), but I'm going to start lobby hopping for fairer games. I am fed up of consistently putting up 70-80 Attrition points, double figure pilot kills, less than 2-3 deaths usually only to find that I have to delay calling in my titan every match because my team mates literally take the full 4 minutes to call theres in - what is the point of me calling my titan in at 2 - 2.5mins, only to consistently lose it because I am being outnumbered by upto 3-4 titans every game. DESPITE BEING THE FIRST TO FALL in most games that I am playing, I have to delay calling it in because the enemy will basically destroy my titan if I call it in first.

What is the point of my effectiveness and my skill? (quick off the mark, able to get my titan early) if my team mates act as fodder feeding the enemy access to titans? The enemy might be getting their titans slower than me, but they are earning theirs a whole lot quicker than my team mates which ultimately disadvantages my titans as I end up being 1 titan v 3-4 titans - by that time the match is lost.

Being first to fall usually gives the player and team an advantage, I barely have time to capitalise on this advantage because I am outnumbered shortly after. It is a joke.

No point me being a stronger player at all.

No arrogance intended.

• Like Like x 4
  12. daennika

daennika Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

A.C you hit the issue right on the head with your post and I feel that it's what I've been experiencing too. Being forced in a position where we have to pick up after everyone because 80% of players don't seem to know what they're doing or they're just faffing around...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Valkilmergotfat

I just feel they need a system that allows you to choose the room your n.. They need a point per game stat and then make that something you can view in the room along with kd...that way you can choose if you want to stay in the room..I feel now that I have to wait forever in a room and then have to always play a better team....you have a good game but honestly te old matchmaking was better and the COD system is ideal although I'm sure u r trying to be different ....just don't get too ambitious

14. A.C

A.C Generation 4

Are you connected with Respawn pal?

15. EnslaveTheWorld

EnslaveTheWorld Generation 2

They should have separate lists for ranked and social games for those who want to "own some noobs" or just don't want to worry about K/Ds. Personally, I don't think a good K/D is truly earned if you're just wanking people that are just starting out. The new skill-based system makes games harder, yes, but "fair" isn't necessarily the same as "competitive". That's just my two cents.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bardiel18

Bardiel18 Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

I know I championed the ideal that Respawn is aiming for, but I do understand this side of the argument as well (because I've been there countless times too - no arrogance intended either)

The other issue I think that they're having trouble for balance sake is pre-mades. Sure, there's bound to be a complete squad of 6 stomping around, but pairing that group up with two pre-made groups of 3 still isn't quite as "balanced" or "fair" in the end. Could swing either way of course - one of those groups of 3 could be exponentially better than the 6, but you get the point.

At the end of the day, the prudent course does sound like it should be split between Ranked and Social matches - the issue there is the division of the community, with the chances of longer match searching being higher yet again.

17. Tony at Home

Tony at Home Generation 5

If you are playing against people who are equally as skilled as you, your K/D and W/L should float to an approximate 1.0 average, + or - standard deviation.

If your K/D is very high above that standard deviation of the "universal average" (1.0), than you are not playing against people of your same skill.

You are asking to get easy wins.

No, you should not be cherry-picking your lobbies so you get easy matches either.

You are obviously asking to see this so you can view stats and cherry-pick matches to your own advantage. This creates all sorts of trouble, with people constantly leaving and joining lobbies till they find one they can dominate in.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tony at Home

Tony at Home Generation 5

Sorry, but this post is ridiculously obnoxious....

You enjoy playing against lesser opponents? Well guess what? They don't enjoy playing against you. It's not fair for new players to be your punching bag just for your enjoyment at their expense.

You SHOULD have to struggle every game. Having to fight for the win with everything you got doesn't take away the fun, it IS the fun.

And once again, how do you think the "lesser opponents" which you previously stated you enjoy playing feel?

You're tired of playing people at your same and above your skill level so much, but for players you find in cherry-picked lobbies that you run over? F* them right? They can play against opponents of higher skill who will beast them, so long as its you I guess.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wickerman

Wickerman Generation 4

Despite what many people think, even COD has had some form of skill based matchmaking at least since COD4. For those that were a part and remember, in the COD4 beta on Xbox 360 they actually had a skill rating number that was hidden in the final release. Each dev has handled it differently, but Black Ops 2 (even public matches, not league) implemented some intense SBMM. That's why the lobbies would shuffle like crazy pre-game as people would leave and join.

I also feel there's some bit of placebo going here as well. You're always going to win some/lose some. If you're solo, that's definitely going to be the case. And people are getting better at this game as time goes by. Just by default that's going to happen and people are going to increase in Regen level, which again, has nothing to do with skill.

20. Valkilmergotfat

Everyone does not play this game for a constant challenge. I play to have fun and having fun to me is to have that occasional easy game. I absolutely like to cherry pick my game....if my team dominates another team then it's fun....that team can do the exact thing...they can leave and find another room that they will do well in. It has worked for COD for years and despite the stale play, the shuffling of teams worked fairly well. I am not the only person who feels this way and what's going to happen is players are going to stop regening because they know they will get lower skill levels. I have a very casual group of friends of varying skill levels and when we get together the rooms are loaded with quality people now and they dominate my friends of lesser skill. In the past if that happenend I could exit and find another room that would be more competitive...now we are stuck with all these skilled players and it becomes frustrating. There needs to be separate rooms for social and serious players. I don't have to constantly dominate a team but I want the feeling that could happen at some point in the night. I feel that the game now only caters to serious competive players. I like to have fun in my Titan but when there are players in my party that are not that good , my Titan time decreases considerably. I'm a tenth gen and I love the fresh feel of the game but when I can't have fun with the game with my friends then I'm done. The campaign rooms are already filling up with high ranks because people want to play easier competition. My friends and I are pretty much done with the game in its current state. I understand everyone's point of view but not everyone purchase a game for the same reason. This is not a sport....it's a game...I have been on the end of beatdowns in the past and I could always find other rooms that were around my skill level....now people are stuck.....I will probably go back to an inferior ghosts game because I can at least have a choice where I play. I won't be the only one.

• Dislike Dislike x 1