The New Skill Based Matchmaking

Discussion in 'Titanfall PC' started by marthiFiC!, Apr 17, 2014.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. marthiFiC!

marthiFiC! Generation 4

It always seems to place so much dead-weight on my team. It cannot seriously expect me to carry my team every round. I had 6 or 7 games like this last night. Ridiculous.

http://imgur.com/wMCh1kJ

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wolfbark

Wolfbark Generation 2

It doesn't exist. Period. I'm legitimately sick of having 5-6 games in a row which has a team of sub-30s (level 40 max) verses entire teams of Gen V and higher. I want to like this game, but watching a game go from 0 titans on both teams, to 3 on each to 6 on one team within about 3 minutes of game start every single fucking time is getting frustrating.

3. marthiFiC!

marthiFiC! Generation 4

Oh, no it does exist. Pre-patch I used to be able to carry, now I am placed with players, I cannot carry. Or against teams that are in parties. Score is always 300-2xx, close games every time.

4. AlexTh3King

AlexTh3King Generation 2

I am going through the same issues as well, I see many players scoring over 100 in attrition but losing because how bad the rest of the team is. Hopefully they will update the matchmaking system when the DLC comes out.

5. daennika

daennika Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

Tell me if I'm alone in these two scenarios:

First 4 games I score top of my team, losing (like marthiFic)

Next 4 games I score bottom of my team, winning.

The scores are always close and every time there's a gap between my scores and those of the other players. This makes me feel either special or retarded.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Wolfbark

Wolfbark Generation 2

Initial matchmaking is decent. But there is absolutely 0 in-lobby matchmaking to compensate people dropping in or out of the lobby.

7. Kingkat54

Kingkat54 Generation 7

I'm with daennika on this. I have the same experiences. Had a marathon session Friday night and my scores were all over the place. I score best in HardPoint, and worse in Attrition. Period. Regardless of my "teammates" abilities. Won several matches where a Teammate never scored any points. He was new and was having fun. And that's all I wanted. Being the best overall scorer never insures a victory.

If I fail to score any points, do you mean I should never get to play the game?
    I had three matches where I was low-man..........should I have just quit?

You Players that complain about having to "carry" the team gets old after a while. Either join a clan and play with a steady group, or take your chances in the system as it is.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. marthiFiC!

marthiFiC! Generation 4

#8 marthiFiC!, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    To be blunt. No, don't quit. Players of your caliber shouldn't exist. Sure maybe your new, but by the time you've played 30 hours or so you should possess the ability to at the very least kill alot of grunts and die less than 10 times. If you have managed to do more than 30 hours of anything and don't find yourself improving. You probably have some issues to work on before you play video games. This isn't directly pointed at you of course, this is more the ever so frequent 0 and 16 team members. I have actually(no joke), played with my monitor off, and managed less deaths. There is simply no excuse for doing anything so badly for so long.. It isnt so much complaining about losing. What boggles my mind is where the human garbage is dredged up from.

Improving yourself is at the core of any activity, if you dont plan on learning anything new, or improving yourself as a participant in ANY activity. Please, do not participate.

in regards to your "join a clan" comment. I have been playing FPS games at a competitive level for several years, a "clan" is a group of semi-skilled players who band together because they are incapable on their own. The entire reason "skill-based" matchmaking became a thing was in an attempt to counter "Clans" in ranked matches in games with some type of ELO rating system. A player shouldn't have to play in a party to avoid Derp McGee, nor should the occurrence of Derp McGee be so common its on the brink of a Derp McGee pandemic. The reason for this post was to point out that the matchmaking frequently pairs Derp McGee straight into the backpack of any decent player. Maybe one or two I can "Carry", But I have been in games where my ENTIRE team gets 0 kills. I did not post that one because I only got 8 myself, as well as 8 deaths.

This isnt to call out Mr.Ijustwent4and8. Congrats to him. This is to frown upon the very souls of "Ive played for 40 hours and im still level 30", and "Is this wall for real, oh i died. LOOK A UNICORN, oh I died again..Is that Judy Dench! HIIII".

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  9. Kingkat54

Kingkat54 Generation 7

I am not sure I follow your logic. First, and foremost Titanfall is just a game. Period. Whether I improve, or do not is MY decision regardless of what others may think.
    You say "improving yourself is the core of any activity, and if you do not plan on improving......please do not participate"
    THAT is not very inclusive of any activity. Everyone needs to challenge themselves, otherwise there is never a method for improvement. However, personal achievement and success is inherent to each individual, not a committee.
    Everyone must improve at their own pace, and may not according to anyone else's schedule.
    BTW, I am NOT new to fps, but my skills are where they are. I know my strengths and weaknesses.
    My question is this:
    If you play a match and are the highest MVP in the match, regardless of winning or losing, where or how did you fail?
    Do you perceive having the highest score only matters IF your side wins?
    Cannot other players have higher scores than you and still lose? Or win?
    If its only about what your personal score is, then enjoy your score, regardless of the win or loss.

I enjoy this game far more than any of the recent offerings. I score well, and whether my side wins or loses, does NOT reflect on MY abilities. If my side wins, I am happy. If my side loses, I try to do better next time. I cannot fault any other player for the loss.

• Like Like x 2
  10. marthiFiC!

marthiFiC! Generation 4

If my team fails to win, my performance is irrelevant. While I am quite confident there are cases where my performance contributed to a loss, I would once again like to reiterate the scale of the poor playing I am focusing on. Merely doing poorly due to a lack of skill, is no big deal, some people are just bad. These are the people you see who have an overall pilot k/d of maybe between .70 and 1.2. no big deal, they will get better. I'm not sure if you are aware, but there exists a group of players whose level of skill is impossibly low. I've seen players hitting scores like 2 and 16, in up to 5 consecutive games. This is not due to some "personalized level of individual achievement". It could perhaps be a paraplegic playing with one arm, missing one eye, and with only three fingers on his left hand(In which case, that's awesome), But until I see some valid explanation of somebody being that atrocious, It is simply a waste of that players, and my own time for him to even be in game. If losing is that much fun for whomever he may be, go lose at a wonderful single player experience, instead of being a detriment to those around you in a multi-player scenario.

And to be clear having the highest score is never relevant. It isn't about winning, It's about being a useful part of your team. It doesn't matter if you lose as long as you tried. While the folks in this particular picture, were clearly just having a bad day, The people in my experiences can only be described as "exhibiting a lack of effort" If that is them "trying", I'm surprised they can feed themselves.

11. Kingkat54

Kingkat54 Generation 7

Again, I think you are asking too much of any player. Even if their score is, as you say, "2 and 16, in up to 5 consecutive games", can they not have a bad game?
    How can you say there is a "group of players whose level of skill is impossibly low."? By whose standards?
    Your logic precludes anyone from achieving any score other than a score you have set as standard. Unless they achieve this level, you think they should NOT play the game?

Again, you contradict yourself. You say to be clear "the highest score is never relevant", yet you single out players whose scores are (as you said before) "impossibly low"
    Can't have it both ways.
    I understand your statement, yet I cannot agree that only a select few should be playing the game. Or as you stated, "go lose at a wonderful single player experience, instead of being a detriment to those around you in a multi-play scenario."

I want every player who wants to play this game, and experience the greatness of it to have that chance. All the time.
    Whether I win or not shall depend on ALL of my team's play, not just a small few who may , or may not not have the skills to always be the highest scorers.

• Like Like x 1
  12. marthiFiC!

marthiFiC! Generation 4

I doubt they are experiencing much playing with a blindfold on from across the room. If you would like to offer up excuses for the disabled, that's fine. I'm more than willing be politically correct about it as well. But there is a point where it crosses into actual mental retardation. Maybe we should have a "Special Olympics" matchmaking set, where all of the paraplegic pirates can play together. I'm not setting any standards, you can plainly see when one lacks the ability to walk, its evident from the wonderful display of crawling they present.

13. Kingkat54

Kingkat54 Generation 7

Not sure what to say to your last post.
    The matchmaking is getting better, IMHO. Several times yesterday, I saw the opposing team lose and gain new and stronger players. My side stayed together, and dominated until the third match. Then we got creamed!

I also saw their side lose players during the match. At one point they only had three players. However, at the end they had all six. THAT is not the fault of the matchmaking system. Players that drop out during a match are tough to make up for.

We talked to them and they said it was OK, that it was a challenge. I had a lot of respect for those players.

• Like Like x 1
  14. marthiFiC!

marthiFiC! Generation 4

You are misunderstanding. I LOVE losing. But doing drastically worse as a team due to 1-3 "feeders" is not losing, its being dragged into the abyss. Nothing better than a solid match against good people.

15. Chainfire

Chainfire Generation 2

Sometimes, you'll have a seemingly lopsided match(es) with multiple low levels players vs multiple GEN players (Gen 4, 5, +++).

This is not lopsided.

I'm GEN 4 (almost 5) myself, and the thing is, we are pigeonholed into completing generation challenges. Therefore, we are forced to use certain weapons for both titans and pilots.

I can easily tell you that I could be pumping out 70 pt attrition games every game if I could use my regular loadouts, but I'm scoring on the bottom of the list because I'm forced to use the Charge Rifle, and the Auto Pistol etc etc. So don't always think that Generation = Better KDR / Better Player. That player is often struggling through challenges, and you have the upper hand on them.

Second, if you really don't like the group, just bounce. I generally like the matchmaking, but sometimes teams just suck anyway. I'll play for 2 matches, if we're getting our asses kicked and the teams are not dynamically changing, I'll find a new lobby. My 2c

16. boise

boise Generation 4

How about if there was in-game setting for what kind of player you consider yourself to be? Say, a drop list with options kind-of like these:
    • I am a top player and only want to play with and against other top players. Please don't put any low-level players in my matches! (For example for @marthiFiC! ).
    • I'm good, but I don't care how you match me, I just want to play the game! (Most players I guess)
    • I suck at this game but I don't mind a challenge. Please match me with mostly better players! (This would be me :) )
    • I suck at this game, but I love playing it anyway. Please only match me with low-level people like me! (Me on a bad day)
    I don't know if the options should look like that, I just invented some to show what I mean, which is to give the automatic matchmaking system something to go on besides player level.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. marthiFiC!

marthiFiC! Generation 4

I'm still not sure if this is trolling or not, but its a pretty new and creative idea. I don't think it would work with a player-base as small as Titanfalls on PC. But for a game with 200,000 concurrent players, this type of system could provide a nice experience. I'm sure people would lie, and screw it up though, which is why it should be integrated into matchmaking already. :)

18. boise

boise Generation 4

Not trolling, @marthiFiC!. It's a serious suggestion to a common problem. Of course, I am rather new to multi-player FPS games (or rather I am back again after roughly 20 years absence, playing only single-player and MMO games since I got tired of pretty much what you are complaining about in this thread), so I don't really have any experience with different matchmaking functions to know what can be done and not.

Sure it could be misused - there are a lot of idiots out there. But I still think that it would be a good idea to let the player make some kind of manual choice for how he like to be matched. This is not meant to be instead of the normal matchmaking - just another input source for the algorithm.

By the way; You mentioned the Titanfall PC has a small player base. Out of interest - do you have any numbers?

19. Kingkat54

Kingkat54 Generation 7

Interesting idea about placing yourself into a game by level.
    I think it would be interesting to use your "current K/D ratio" to place you in a match. Maybe for Attrition? Pilot Hunter?
    Or your Win/Loss record in game types? For CTF, or LTS?
    Attack/Defend score for HardPoint matches?

Something that would match players of each type. I am a better player at HP than Attrition, or CTF.

• Like Like x 1
  20. marthiFiC!

marthiFiC! Generation 4

Unfortunately i don't have any real numbers. Based off launch and persistent numbers of other fps titles on PC. It likely has between 20 and 40k during peak hours.