Titanfall 2 Multiplayer Technical Test: What do you think?

Discussion in 'Titanfall 2 News & Discussion' started by WhoIsDo, Aug 19, 2016.

?
  1. Love it

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Needs a little work

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Needs a LOT of work

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  4. Hate it

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. CanadianBaconer

CanadianBaconer Generation 1

I'm really enjoying the tech test right now. I've been playing with my friends recently and it's been fun when everything works properly. My one issue is with the network system, it's fun and all but right now it's really buggy. After inviting my network partners match and finishing it, we all ended up in different lobbies. This is annoying because there is no indication of whether or not your network teammates are still with you. It would be great to have some visual or audio queues letting the player know wether or not they are with their squad mates.

2. Trini Chinese

Trini Chinese Generation 7

i say things due to my experience with the first game and many others i have played . not just titan fall 1 but other games similar in the shooter dept. it may not be fact as we all are different in many different play style and it is an opinion or preference , but i am not alone in this experience or have this opinion and not all times we will all agree as i am different just like all members or gamers alike.
    you have your view and i understand your view like i do with others i will not always agree with them and they will not always agree with mine , but keep in mind that i am replying to your post and not directly at you .
    I have points to debate i have given my views on them and replied to them depending on the state of mind i would have read them. i have not seen any points in your post that relates to the topic at hand and that many gamers which ever system they play on tent to have a common concern.
    from your comment you are assuming that we all think like this relating to the comment i disagree some are more passionate than some but they give there view and i will always support that weather i agree with them or not or if they agree with me or not i try not to assume what some one is thinking but to encourage them to give me a point that makes sense . i read them and then chose to give my views.
    The titan's was and is what made the game different and the main attraction of the first game hence the name . the movement of the pilots was there to balance the fact that you would be fighting a Titan and other elements like Ai / bots added to the experience of the first game being that it was and is different to other shooters .
    And i do agree that getting or earning a Titan is no what made the game but rather the experience of piloting a Titan in battle in a warzone fighting pilots and other Titans that is what made the game what it is the way you felt as a pilot fighting in a warzone and having the ability to call on a weapon at will to battle is the experience that the first game give.
    and this may not be fact but it is a very common experience for many including my self .
    so with that said hope you understand why many that played the first are disappointed because the Essence or at lease one of the main experience is not there. hence why they tend to give there view on a very common topic as of late .

• Like Like x 1
  3. Basic stupidity

Basic stupidity Generation 2

But the titan was able to be called at will in that build either. And if they all are on a timer than the whole dynamic of the pilot and titan battlefield is ruined because they all spawn and die very close together with small variation. The system that is in place now would create this situation that made the game more effectively than the previous one. It would allow for titans and pilots and if youve earned it you have the power to call on a weapon at will to battle. This is why I dont understand how the players could dislike this function in tf2. The only real reason I can think of is because the titans do not oversaturate the game anymore but thats not really a bad thing.

4. KernelClamjuice

KernelClamjuice Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

#44 KernelClamjuice, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    Write up from Forbes Magazine....

Fans and press alike have jumped into Respawn’s technical test for Titanfall 2, which is essentially a beta for the multiplayer in everything but name. Though the original Titanfall is a cautionary tale about how console exclusivity and multiplayer-only strategies can hurt a game, nearly everyone, even critics, has been excited to see how the game would learn from its mistakes in Titanfall 2.

Instead, things are not going well. In fact, I’m frankly a bit stunned to see how poorly the game is being received.

Titanfall 2’s technical test is painting a picture of a very different game than both the original and what fans were expecting from a sequel. The reaction seems to be largely negative across the board, with some fans even asking for the game to be delayed in order for some of these issues to be fixed.

We’ll start with the most glaring and surprising issue, a relative lack of Titans during matches. Previously, Titans were on a timer, so eventually throughout the course of a match, you’d get one automatically. You could speed this process up if you were playing well, but eventually, you’d be able to call one in regardless.

Not so in Titanfall 2. Titans are now given out based on performance alone. Not killstreaks, exactly, but they are tied to how you’re doing in the match all the same, and there is no more timer. The result is that if you’re not making much of an impact in a match, you can go entire rounds without even getting one Titan, which happened frequently in games I played, and it seems to defeat the entire purpose. What exactly is Titanfall without Titans? Kind of a…not as a good Call of Duty?

But the problems don’t end when the Titans arrive. Changes to shielding and damage make Titans far more useless than they were in the original. Titan gameplay is overall less fun than it was previously, and the pilot ground game isn’t much better. Maps have been designed to accommodate even less mobility than before, with few places to wall-run, leaving players stuck on the ground a lot more often.

Additionally, Titanfall 2 has cut the original’s most popular gametype, Attrition, and now only a single mode has AI grunts in it, which are now not allied to a side, but a neutral faction anyone can shoot, and they only appear in select pockets of the map. It makes everything feel a lot more lifeless than the original, and it’s just bizarre to see the game apparently move backward in so many different ways.

These are not minor issues, hence why some fans are actually calling for the game to be delayed to the spring. Maybe buffing Titans, adding back the Titan timer and Attrition and tweaking some of the levels is possible in the next two months, but it’s a tall order. The real question is why these changes were even made in the first place.

Respawn seems to have learned the wrong lessons from the original Titanfall. Since that game wasn’t a blockbuster smash hit, they apparently feel like they had to change a lot about the core of the game to try and make it more attractive. But that’s not what people were asking for. All anyone really wanted from Titanfall 2 was a single player campaign, all the new maps and modes and features the original got as post-launch content, and the ability to play it on all platforms. That’s it. If there was anything that did work about the original Titanfall, it was the central core gameplay loop. Pilot freerunning, Titan fighting, map design, weapon feel, these were all big strengths of the game, but so much of it seems to have been changed for the worse, at least judging by this technical test.

[​IMG]
    Photo: Respawn

This is extremely disappointing, because this is a game that people have held out hope for ever since the original, that all Titanfall needed was to be a bit bigger and have a bit more time spent on it. Instead, it seems like it’s moving backward for reasons that make no sense, and if it launches like this, it won’t have a prayer of standing out against the likes of Battlefield 1 or Infinite Warfare or even existing competitors like Overwatch or Destiny.

The purpose of a test like this is to get feedback about issues, and perhaps Respawn can take a lot of this to heart and roll out some big fixes before launch. But right now, this technical test is serving as sort of anti-marketing for the game. “You thought things were going to get better for the sequel? Well, think again.”

There’s still time to fix this, and honestly, I’m not opposed to the idea of delaying this game into the spring, but I’m not sure if that’s necessary, depending on what changes can be implemented. But Titanfall 2 clearly still needs a lot of work, or else this sequel will do nothing to realize the potential of the original.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Trini Chinese

as for the timer i agree that this is not really needed once they added something other that kills to get them and the reason i say this is because if they do not do this it will be fighting what they build in the form of the class system that i like as a new feature.

remember if they remove something they need to add something back hence the balance which i speak off think of it as a scale but when they do this they have to do it within reason as it can and will affect gameplay and which it has granted this is in no way a simple task and many games and devs have been working on this concept for years and some have gotten close and even lost there way along the way. example Dice and there battlefield games.
    when they change some thing as simple as map size there are a lot to take into account and that's why gamers like you and myself and the members are here for to voice there views. this helps to make a better product. now i am not saying that i have all or the best ideas or they may be correct in all aspects but to certain game modes that i have experience in ideas that worked in titan fall 1 have been taken out or not implemented in the game and if a simple person like myself can see this how is is that dev's did not catch this.
    being that they removed alot of the AI in game modes and this coming form the tech test makes the modes unbalance and is why i agree with others that the game feels similar tho COD just with Titans.
    They have a lot of things to implement in the game in my opinion and hope the final game does not feel like the tech test as they have lost a lot of simple features from the first with out adding something new to replace this . like how they improved the burn crd concept the implemented a new usable tech this is a good thing just in a different form of application but do pretty much what the original concept had.
    the point that you made with the over saturation of Titans was that the maps needed to be tweaked for more fluent titan movement which they have in part 2 but by doing this from the maps on the tech test it puts the pilots to a disadvantage being that it will be harder to put up a fight on both sides and with this will result in a different type of gameplay now for pilots to survive they will camp the roof tops or buildings and create more of that cat and mouse gaming that you don't like and lest titan vs titan battles /experience .
    now these point are not all of what i want to say or enplane there is a lot more but to keep it basic and simple are just a few points which the new game will encounter and which i stress like others that they lost what works in titanfall 1 the simple features that made the game what it is.

6. Trini Chinese

this is well said , and pretty much what most if not all are saying . i like this great research.

7. Ninjajedaii

Ninjajedaii Generation 4
    Elite Pilot

Agree pretty much sums up the riff raff, my preorder still stands, if Respawn decides to hold off until the holidays I would personally be chill with that. We'll see what happens.

• Trolling/Spam Trolling/Spam x 1
  8. Trini Chinese

i am curious to see what other game site are going to say and a response from respawn as the game is out in 2 months.

9. Ninjajedaii

Ninjajedaii Generation 4
    Elite Pilot

It's probably going to be a little bit of the same, some good things and some not so good things. What matters is what Respawn decides to do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Trolling/Spam Trolling/Spam x 1
  10. Trini Chinese

agreed. well lady's and gent's we came we saw and we called for a titan fall hope they listen. we did our part and still keep on giving the best part of a community .

• Like Like x 2
  11. rainman0211

rainman0211 Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Your starting to get some green under your Messages counter so that's a good thing because at one time that whole bar was RED.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Basic stupidity

They did make changes to compensate for the pilots on the larger maps by adding the grappling hook and making the stim faster

I actually like the cat/ mouse gameplay especially in tf2 when you are shooting the titan and trying to shoot it and hide and shoot it till you either destroy it or get your titan. But what makes it work is that you have to do that. You dont have to do that in tf1 you could just hang out in a building but in tf2 if you want your titan and if you want to be effective you have to play the cat and mouse gameplay.

As for removing the ai that is probably because they cant have ai in every gamemode especially because there are a lot of people that dont like it.
    When im talking about how great and effective the features are, im talking about how they behave at their best in bounty hunt mode. (which i personally believe is by far the best titanfall mode period.

13. Basic stupidity

This article was made with the mentalitly that
    This article was made with the mentality that tf2 was going to be the same as tf1.
    The whole point of making the titans on a support streak like system is to make them more satisfying to recieve.
    If you are guaranteed 3 titans every time you play the titans start to feel routine and eventually become less and less satisfying until they become boring and once they become boring then there is nothing to strive for and the game is pointless.
    As for the titans, if you utilize the rodeo system and the titan health green cores the titans are far more useful than tf1.

The reason people are receiving this so poorly is because they dont understand what to do in the matches so they end up having a bad time.

14. Trini Chinese

i agree that not all modes need AI but from the modes that have them made for a great warzone battlefield experience . and was part of the main game experience a bit of a mix of campaign and multiplayer this was a bold move for the first game and it worked .
    as for the 2 classes with the stim and the hook it's not enough as for balance because even then in open field's the will get mowed down not to mention the other class .
    the maps as is in bounty hunt fells very empty as the ai come in waves only. unlike them being around the map at random which helps the ambiance of the game.
    below is some thing i read from another gamer.

Part of Titanfall's appeal was that the maps felt alive. There was always war on the streets, wounded soldiers being dragged into cover, and drop-pods raining from the stars. It gave players things to do in the time between respawning and finding enemy players, and it was just fun to mow down a few squads! Made you feel powerful, and their idle banter gave the game an atmosphere and levity that was well appreciated.

One of the best things about the original Titanfall was that even if one side was losing a match, they could drop a few Titans and turn the tide of war. It led to near victories and close comebacks. That's not possible anymore. If a coordinated, highly-skilled group jumps into a pub match, they can deny every player on the other team from having a Titan for the entire match.

15. Trini Chinese

Point Exactly .
    What people are saying , titanfall was a game that any one with any skill type could pick up and play and even play for hours , the experience is what is important for most gamers or any one playing games even for the ones that play competitive and the end of the day it's to entertain not Work this is easy said than done doe.
    i understand that you should not expect the exact same game as no on wants this we all want improvement but at what cost . but to lose the most basic concept does not make sense .
    granted you may be a very skilled pilot but not all gamers are of equal skill and wile you are a skilled player you should have no problems adapting in any scenario. but on the other side what is the point playing a game which makes it unfair to play for other with less experience. that and people are not just receiving the game poorly just because they don.t understand what to do as remember most of us here have played the first game and the tech test like yourself and speaking for my self on this i am receiving the game bad because of other reason not because i don't know what to do . my main pet peeve is the AI i could point out more but pretty much a lot of unwelcome factors are based around this some would agree some may not . but no one up to this date has shown me other wise , unless they rise the player count on the maps with out ai and keep the size there is no way to not make the map feel empty which is something we all have and know / experience in the first game the dynamic feeling that the AI bring to a map make for a great gaming experience compared to other shooters . and a big example is Star wars Battle front fighter mode those who played the game will know what i am talking about.
    As for the article it does say a lot what titanfall fans like about the game as for there reason for the article is not my concern but the message they are saying is close to the common reason's titan fall players are not receiving the game and is a valid concern to many now you may agree or not but that does not change and this is fact not just a few gamers don't like what they see but many and proof in the forums on the official site will show this . many with Valid reasons not made up reasons but Valid . hence the passion of all of us including yourself. one common interest we all have is that we love the game respawn first made and we all want to see a true successor that deserve the name.
    if it ain't broke why fix it .pretty much sums it up for many.