Titanfall 2 Podcast - Future of The Frontier Ep #1: Criticizing the Launch

Discussion in 'Titanfall 2 News & Discussion' started by Trini Chinese, May 2, 2017.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Trini Chinese

Trini Chinese Generation 7

• Like Like x 2
  2. Derrame

Derrame Generation 6

those are not the developers talking, so i dont think what this guy say can be trusted,

i really want to know what content will be released, and if there will be a TF3

• Like Like x 1
  3. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Thanks Trini! I listened to the whole thing. Here is what I learned.

Jaxendale is cool as hell! (I would look forward to Titanfall Legends videos before)
    Jerdude's gotta go (now I see them and it's like, ugghh, that forced phony voice jax wannabe guy)

They had a discussion about what to do to make it easier for new players so they don't get frustrated and so they stick around. This is a good conversation to have, but it has to start with this, which is what they did not do when making TF2. You have to start by saying, "We are not going to slow or tone the game down in order to decrease the skill gap so that new players are not getting destroyed by veterans or players that are used to playing a different style of game like COD." This was the gigantic mistake they made going into TF2. This is why we have slower titans, weaker titans, no regenerating shields, no customizable loadouts, smaller maps, choke-pointed maps, less wallrunning routes and slower pilot ground speed. If a game has a large learning curve skillwise, you CANNOT punish those who have invested the time to get skilled in order to appease new players. Plus the new players should have something to strive for, to want to be one of those grizzled veterans one day.

What you can do is do things that provide spaces for newer players to improve without being destroyed without messing with the main part of the game that the skilled veterans enjoy. There are things you can do:
    1) A rock-solid matchmaking algroithm that keeps teams evenly matched numbers and skill-wise. If a skilled group insists on playing together, they can, but they may need to wait in a queue until an equal number of skilled players are available to put on the other side (either another group or a collection of random equally skilled individuals). This way, if a new player is on a team of 2 other new players and 3 very skilled players, he will be facing a team on the other side of 3 new players and 3 very skilled players, but it will be even so each individual new player at least has a fighting chance.
    2) Modes like Titan Brawl provide a good training ground for new players, because they are fun even if you lose and get destroyed. They should almost make it a goal to create more modes like this that are just so much fun that you don't care if you get killed 15 times and lose badly, but make them where you can be working on and learning new skills while having fun.

They mentioned that titans are not as intimidating. They mentioned they are weaker and don't have regenerating shields, but I would add that it is also that they are slower and you cannot fully customize your loadouts.

They do discuss lack of maps and miniscule DLC. They think they planned more, but didn't do it, because of poor response. I disagree, because as one member mentioned, most DLC are planned out way ahead of time and even in the testing phase. They have not had any new map designs even in the can. Everything we've seen after release either came from TF1 or from a mish mash of the TF2 "Gauntlet" training ground.

They mentioned that some Respawn developers are working on both the Star Wars game and TF2. This is not what they promised. They said they were going to have about a 60 to 70 man team on Titanfall and were adding about the same amount for the Star Wars game.

They mentioned that there has been a lack of focus on titans in TF2 and more focus on pilot vs. pilot. This is why I believe Titan Brawl was so desperately needed.

4. Omega82

Omega82 Generation 5

The skill gap is absolutely there and that probably does scare away new players but there is absolutely no way Respawn should water down their game anymore to cater to lazy players who don't want to invest any kind of time in getting better. If they water it down anymore that would be a complete disgrace, also don't even call it titanfall anymore because this won't be the "real" game that it's supposed to be.

Ways to help new players I believe Frothy Omen has said this is respawn needs to put more tutorials out there in the game and easier to see instructions on how to play the game and what the objectives are. I personally have played with friends and family who keep saying they don't know what's going on and what to do also they suck at the game and get frustrated. This is very aggravating to me to listen to people talk like that. My perspective is if you only play the game for an hour or a short amount of time HOW THE HELL do you expect to be good at it ? Again lazy players who don't want to spend their time practicing or learning the titan moves or anything. They just wanna run around and press the shoot button because that's what call of duty has taught them. Or to camp in windows all game.

This is also why I think the campaign mode is important because if the new players played that mode first atleast it helps them understand what titanfall is about and how it plays. Although for people like me and EN we would love to see a complete robust and amazing multiplayer without the campaign mode if necessary.

Also the social media is a big thing. You have all these big youtubers and twitch players who DO NOT play titanfall. They really don't give it a chance or whatever. Their channels are built off of call of duty , and they need to keep the channel going by playing those awful games. But they have thousands and thousands of followers and people who watch all their videos. That is BIG marketing , it helps with exposure a great deal. Unfortunately titanfall is not big with this social media scene , yea you have guys like Jer Dude with that voice of his and struggles to complete a sentence , not sure if that's going to be enough to help market this game.

• Like Like x 3
  5. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Exactly right! This is also indirectly punishing those who have invested the time to get better.

Yes, this is why a lot of the changes were made in TF2 to try to appease those who preferred that style and could not hang in TF1. It was a mistake and severely damaged the game. To not recognize that and go further down that road would permanently and irreversibly sentence the brand to irrelevance as a "not even as good COD wannabe". Titanfall needs to embrace what made it unique, which in large part was that it was not COD.

Hallelujah brother! Having a Single Player Campaign, no matter how good, that only occupies 5 to 10 hours of your time is an enormous waste of resources that could instead be spent adding depth and richness to the multiplayer where players will spend 100s or 1000s of hours.

Titanfall Legends is just not as appealing without jax at the helm at all times.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Trini Chinese

like all of us , we are not the developers , but as fans of the game and a site dedicated to the success of the franchise it is just to be taken with a gran of salt. but the good thing is that it shows many out there with the similar views.

and they may not be devs but they spend a tremendous time with the game and you can hare in the tone that they are skeptical at time and hopeful at times.

the thing is even the devs are slow with content and info . so what are fans to do . like us all here in the community to keep the views coming and to voice new ideas.
    maybe a different dev may pick up a thing or two . and make a great game.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Omega82

Omega82 Generation 5

What I envisioned was Titanfall to be a game that is both unique and also captures the best of the shooter element as well. Tf2 in a lot of ways to me captures both of that. But the more I have played the game and listened to other opinions and started really thinking about everything i feel the game definitely needs to promote more of its uniqueness over anything else. At this point it looks doubtful titanfall is ever going to replace cod in the market place , so I would rather see the true authentic version of titanfall the way it was dreamt up. But in all honesty I LOVE the way the guns perform and how good the shooter element is in this game. I just don't want the next game to be where it's hard to shoot someone and kill them. I'm not sure how to explain what I mean. But i definitely do not respawn to go any further then it has already into the cod realm of gameplay.

The game needs to go back to that gritty feel and warzone like atmosphere from what i saw from Tf1. When the Titan grabs the pilot in his hand and pulls him out of the titan and squashs him. That's what I want. I want the game to look rugged and have great environments.

Tf2 is the most fun game I ever played , but since the game still didn't do well respawn might as well return the series back to that experience. Do away with the cartoony look , I want Tf3 to be rated R. Haha

• Like Like x 2
  8. Derrame

Derrame Generation 6

yes, exactly, the weapons feel really good in this game, more realistic, more alive, fluid, satisfying i've played the most moderns cod's and they all feel clunky compared to TF2's weapons

yes, exactly, that is what i was saying since release, the "war on the frontier" atmosphere and environmets, that must be in the MP maps too!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Trini Chinese

agreed , well said.
    the skill gap in the current game is high. this is one of the reasons i have always supported the AI system mixed in to the multiplayer element , along with other little things then to balance off the game , it worked well in titanfall 1 ,
    how the current game is right now , i am not saying it is not fun for those that currently play. .

but the elements that in titanfall 1 had that were removed to adapt to the current style of play now in my opinion made a big difference.
    the game was a pick up and play game and it cratered for both causal and hardcore gamers it had a nice balance a good mix to the game it could have been better but for what it was it was to some if not many a perfect blend.

remember not all gamers may be like yo and me and many on here and play a game and get good at it.

over the years i have played a lot of conquest type game modes or objective game modes other than halo which was the ultimate team deathwatch game for me.

from my experience just sound can strike fear and change how a gamer plays a game or an objective. that and other elements in a game can turn the tide.

i would have liked the opportunity to test the concept if titanfall 2 had some sort of classic mode to see if the game style reall makes a difference a ultimate custom mode . were us gamers can add features to a mode.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

That would be sweet!

OMG Omega, if you were a girl and you were here right now, I could just kiss you. :) How about this? We go back and start with TF1, but we bring all of the TF2 guns into it for you Omega. I'm good with that. The only TF1 gun I want is the EVA-8 shotgun, but you probably don't care about that one anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Omega82

Omega82 Generation 5

I have been experimenting with the shotguns recently, right now I'm trying the mastiff out. My movements have to get a lot better , recently I been screwing up the wall running and getting hung up on a lot of stupid things when I move around on the map. This is a big no no when using the shotguns , your movement has to be fast and crisp otherwise I get killed to easily. I will try the Eva 8 again. So you like that one more than he mastiff ?

I am dead serious , I want Tf3 to be rated R. Glitch really did it for me, I see that the movements are really what need to stand out in titanfall the most. Not just fps sitting and camping. But I want to see hardcore maps full of life but I want it to be mean looking and adult oriented. I want the Titans to look and feel menancing and to totally make you feel like a god when you use them lol.

I love the pilot executions , I think it adds a great flare to the game and they look awesome. I can picture Tf3 in my mind , I may not be able to explain it so well just yet but I picture it in my mind and I gotta say it looks pretty damn good. Hahaha

• Like Like x 1
  12. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I don't use the EVA-8 in TF2, because I hate it. They weakened it too much. That is why when we take all of the guns from TF2 and put them into TF1 for you, my only request is that we keep the TF1 EVA-8 shotgun. it works perfectly in TF1.

I like it! I am totally on board.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Omega82

Omega82 Generation 5

Typically what I mean when I talk about the guns is how smooth and fast you can handle them. It's a talent of Respawn. The guys who made MW2 , which that game took the call of duty series to astronomical heights. Anyway what I mean was in that game the shooting and handling of the guns felt so smooth and almost effortless, you can fire your gun duck down in cover then immediately pop up and shoot again. It was the responsiveness and smoothness that made it feel so good. After they left activision call of duty quality wise fell off the cliff in my opinion , certainly the games made from infinity ward. The games just felt different and inferior from mw2 and I couldn't understand why. Then I found out the original dev team left after mw2 and they are now the company Respawn that makes titanfall. Once i heard that my eyes lit up and I said titanfall is gonna be the best game. Of course this was Tf2 coming out when i learned about this, but I was certain that Tf2 was gonna be great. Again because I'm sitting here thinking about the gun play and smoothness and magical feel of mw2 .

Put on Tf2, very first day and there it WAS , the smoothness of the guns , how they feel , the responsiveness, the way it's easy to see the other team , how good the guns feel when you ADS , the great hip fire . How it feels when you go on runs and killing streaks in the game , it's so fun because the game feels so smooth and it executes perfectly. This is all I cared about , I didn't even want to know about the titans. I was so satisfied with feeling such a quality product again just in terms of the gun play and responsiveness.

So that's what I'm typically referring to when I mention the gun performance in Tf2, I'm not exactly describing the individual weapon per say , I am describing the great quality of respawn of mastering the shooter element over these other games out there.

Obviously now after expanding my horizons with Tf2 I realize the importance of the Titans and movement system and realize the game is more than just the shooter element.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Omega82

Omega82 Generation 5

Yes Derrame , you described it perfect . The game and the guns feel alive and fluid , this like I said is the talent of Respawn. This is a NOTICEABLE difference coming from the COD series. When I play TF2 it feels vastly superior in the core elements compared to those other games. That's why to ME Tf2 is the most impressive and best online game I ever played. Even surpassing mw2 in my mind. That's why I have spoken such highly about Tf2 since I bought the game and I still speak highly of it.

But now thanks to specifically people like EN and Trini I have seen the bigger picture of what Tf2 lacks compared to what it started out as in Tf1. EN is coming from a perspective that I didn't know anything about because I never played Tf1 or knew anything at all about the game. But now after watching videos of Tf1 and seeing the arguments I can see what Tf2 lacks in that regard. To me Tf2 will always be unquestionably a great game and the most fun online game ever but now for Tf3 they need to move more back to the look and feel of Tf1 . Initially when I first bought Tf2 I just wanted it to be a superior version of COD, WHICH IT IS , but there's a wholeeee lot more to the uniqueness of titanfall that I see now.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I've gotta tell you Omega. I really respect the hell out of you. I loved your passion right out of the gate, but I really respect your willingness to read what others are saying, do your own research, have an open mind and your willingness to take a step back and look at the whole big picture.

Your story line makes complete sense. You loved the feel of MW2 and felt COD drop off after that. You didn't realize why until later when you realized all of the talent that created that feel had left and gone to Respawn. You then snatched up their latest game, TF2, and immediately loved having that feel back again. Now, I can see why you were so passionate right out of the gate. But you didn't leave it there. You read, you watched videos and have done your own research and have learned there was so much more to TF1 that made it unique. You are right, Trini does make a great case about this. I truly appreciate that you've read anything I've written and if it has helped you at all.

What I find truly amazing and I really give you a lot of credit for, is that you have grown to have an appreciation of what TF1 truly was without even having played a minute of it. I can't tell you how impressed I am by that. I long for the day you get to play TF1, because I can't wait to hear your thoughts and passion about it. I believe you would enjoy the gun play just as much, because it was still those who came from MW2 that knew how to create that feel that you loved.

I did want to mention one other thing, because of how you mentioned how you appreciate the fluidity and responsiveness of the movement in MW2 and the Titanfall games. It is the movement of Titanfall that kept pulling me back away from any other video games for the last 3 years. However, as much as I love Titanfall, there is one game I've played that has even superior responsiveness to Titanfall, which is RAGE. It does exactly what I want when I want, even more so than Titanfall. Just wanted to mention that, because if you enjoy responsiveness, I think you would love RAGE and you can get it for about $10 now.

• Like Like x 1