Titanfall's Longevity

Discussion in 'Titanfall PC' started by llchuckwagonll, Apr 27, 2014.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. llchuckwagonll

llchuckwagonll Generation 2

Greetings,

Just wanted to get everyone's opinions on where Titanfall stands currently in the community. You hear grumblings that TF is dying and becoming less popular, others say it is really taking off. My biggest concern remains the lack of depth as well as the repetitiveness, and I know this has caused a lot of people that I game with, to stray away from buying Titanfall.

I for one think that since Titanfall has now become an official competitive title, we will see it grow a little. But will it be enough to keep it mainstream, and the servers populated? Will the upcoming DLC packs add more to the game?

What are your thoughts on the matter?

2. Kingkat54

Kingkat54 Generation 7

As long as Respawn supports it, the game has a long way to go. Competition alone will not insure a games life. It has to stay current and updated.
    Besides, is there a minimal number that must play the game in order to survive? We do not control the servers, so the number is not as important when we had to pay for them.

It has a long life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. daennika

daennika Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

I believe it's still too early to tell if it's going to last or not. Loss of interest can be explained by lots of things, first being player availability due to the holidays...

I'm not claiming to lose or gain more interest on the long run until we've seen three updates and expansions.

4. Chaz

Chaz Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

Going to agree with @daennika here. It's been almost two months now, but I still feel its too early to tell.

5. llchuckwagonll

llchuckwagonll Generation 2

I agree it is a bit too early to tell, bit imo, Respawn has done a great job with it's launch and support behind it thus far. That alone right now, will go a long way.

6. ButtonsTheMonkey

ButtonsTheMonkey Generation 1

Should be too early, but by my attempts to play tonight, it seems dead..... took forever to find any players, and finally got 2 other people and they were both on my team. Not sure what's up.

7. SHAN

SHAN GEN 10 NONSTOP MAP-TREADIN' CROSS-COUNTRY STRYDER
    Elite Pilot

I sometimes find it hard to get into games myself but i think ALOT of people are struggling with the GOOSER challenge so they stop playing at Gen 5. But, overall it's always a great turn-over with players i recognize. Admit it, some people are definately hooked and i'm one of them. I love seeing re-occuring players in the lobby because i know they are committed. I think with more tweaks/patches this game will stay in business for a while. Respawn really set a high bar for MMO-FPS with this release. I haven't myself, but have heard of friends going back to COD:GHOSTS, etc and not enjoying it because it felt so slow and like 'watching paint dry' lol. So YEA, as long as people learn how to play more agressive and upbeat and reaction oriented i think this game will last for a good deal of while. TF has no safe-haven for timid corner-huggers and window campers...

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

It will take some time for the momentum to build. I see new games as being a bucket which has a drip of two land in it every day, sooner or later critical mass will be reached and the game transcends the boundaries of the group who play it and it garners a broader following. Games like CoD or Halo needed time to build, the game will release in its next iteration on all platforms and with the lessons of this game learnt. I think that it will go to at least a third iteration. Whether it becomes a LoL or a CS time will tell. But respawn will grow larger and have far more resources to put too the next iteration. I believe it will do well and last for a while.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. marthiFiC!

marthiFiC! Generation 4

Its a patch away from becoming an everyday game for me. As far as finding games. On West coast I don't have any trouble about ten seconds max for any game mode. It won't "Die" on PC until November, and only if the new COD, isn't terrible.

10. iMonocyte

iMonocyte Generation 2

I think it all depends on future updates. The game is a tad bit repetitive and bare bones right now. With more customizable options and such I think the community could blossom.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Soran_F

Soran_F Generation 2

Agree with iMonocyte. Another thing would be how they handle the issues the Community has. Even on their own forums, PC users seem to be ignored. They tend to favor the console users.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Unuseful_Idiot

Unuseful_Idiot Generation 3

when observing the Respawn-PC community relations, I can pretty much say the game is almost dead.
    It will be months until they'll bury it, but ignoring the community is not and never will be a good way to keep a game alive.

I can really understand the cutting of CTF and PH. The PC base is jsut too small (that's probably why Respawn is not providing any numbers - because they're embarassing).
    And since the player base is small, the company focuses on more profitable market - consoles. That's why we won't get companion app(such as xbox users), won't get crucial bug fixes anytime soon, won't get server browsers at all and won't get proper communication. I will be surprised if the private match will be not just beta, but a real feature.
    All we have now are vague promises that they will add new game modes "soon", but absolutely no other info, that's childish.

And the bad press will be with them to the end.
    It seems to me that they had great expectations about the PC sales level, but reality hit them hard (40% off price proves that imho).
    Too bad, because it is still a great game.

13. marthiFiC!

marthiFiC! Generation 4

I'm willing to wager we have around 15-20k online around the clock. Which makes it currently bigger than any CoD on PC right now.

14. Unuseful_Idiot

well, that would be quite a number. I believe the number is smaller, if Respawn don't even want to mention it

15. boise

boise Generation 4

I think you are right about the struggling part, but I'm doubtful that very many players would actually stop playing because of it. There is a lot of talk about leveling and regenerating here and in other forums, but for me and the players that I know personally, that is just something to do "on the side" so to speak. We love playing the game, and the leveling part is just a way to get new and better stuff. Regenerating is of very little consequence, but sure - it's fun to challenge yourself by restarting. I like the regeneration part, but my friends don't care about it at all (though I'm guessing that they will later on).

You shouldn't take what you read in the forums as an indication of what the majority of players think. If a player has some problem with the game or just want to bitch about something, then you will definitely find him here. But if he just likes the game, then why would he be here (and sorry @daennika and other ladies for me saying "he" all the time, but "he or she" are too many words ;) )? Well - I do and I am, but that's just because I like forums ;)

As for the original question, I'd just like to point to what I said above about whom of the player you hear anything from. I don't know anyone who is even remotely considering quitting, but I don't really know that many players so that's weak statistics ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Unuseful_Idiot

I don't think the gooser is the point here, there are other harder and more frustrating challenges. The gooser is - after all - not that difficult (and you just need 5) and is so far (i'm at gen 6) the most rewarding challenge of all. Finishing it was the only one that really satisfied me and after which I could pat myself on the shoulder and say: "good work. you may be an idiot but you surely got them pilots killed in the air". Plus, there is ton load of tips how to finish it (I really don't know why would someone try this with arc cannon, btw).
    Like @boise said, I don't personally know anyone who considers quitting either, but I've read numerous posts on different forums on how this game and Respawn's communication annoys them to the level of "I'm pissed, I quit". How many quits are there anyway, I can't tell.
    Of course I can say only for myself, but I did notice that something's wrong, i.e. after the patch game is less smoother(seems to me that hardware requirements have been raised). Also, Respawn doesn't handle any issues and EA don't give a damn about them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SleepxLost

SleepxLost Generation 1

I can see Titanfall going one of two ways. I think either it dies off in the mainstream market and the casual gamers are weeded out, and it's left with a stripped-down community of hardcore Titanfall enthusiasts who'll love it and play it for years on end. Or, it continues to pick up interest from FPS lovers everywhere and becomes (regretfully, maybe) the next COD franchise in terms of popularity.