To "Re" or not to "Re" that is the question...

Discussion in 'General Titanfall discussion' started by DARK BAWGS, Nov 10, 2016.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. DARK BAWGS

DARK BAWGS Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

...and I thought War And Piece was long. :) Great post En. I may not agree with all but do most of what u said. Thanks for putting so much effort into this and your many posts. I respect your passion for the game.

2. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

First off, I'm not gonna respond to the "typical American" argument because you're better than that. I will address your other points though.

1. I agree with most of this. There are only a few movies I like per year, however, to say that movies are losing business is just factual inaccurate. While
    some movies may not make as much as they hoped... just per last weekend, Moana grossed over 55 million, Fantastic Beasts grossed over 45 million and Doctor Strange grossed over 13 million and all 3 of those movies total gross is in the 100s of millions.

2. I don't really understand what you're trying to say here. I understand that you want them to innovative better and more creative ways to entice people into regenerating, I get that. However, I was responding to your literal ideas.. how is "unlock a weapon after regenerating" supposed to be figurative? I gave you the answer that I think it'd be unbalanced and to respond to a further point, it's not like unlocking weapons at different levels because everyone is going to be unlocking those weapons at some point. Not everyone is going to regenerate and that would give people a weapon that others won't have (same concept as not adding purchasable weapons).

3. I sound like a sheep consumer because I enjoy the game? Not everyone has to have the same views as you man. I do find it funny that you make that iPhone comparison about basically releasing the same thing every year, yet most of the people with a negative view towards this game have that view because they wanted them to basically release Titanfall 1 with new maps (same as the iPhone comparison).

4. I'm not sure where you're trying to go with this one. I personally don't think Regenerating means anything, it doesn't make you better or worse than anyone else. I personally do it because I like completing things (hence the 100% achievements on both xbox and ps4). However, aren't you the one saying they need to do something different in regards to Regenerating so it sounds to me like you put more stock into it than you actually think.

Finally, Regenerating or Prestiging isn't a concept that CoD came up with, it's actually a concept that Respawn came up with during CoD4. 90% of the team that worked on CoD4 is currently at Respawn (this team
    also developed TF1). I understand that games need to be more creative and inventive when it comes to online MP and in my opinion TF2 did that, I realize that doesn't align with your opinion and that's fine. I don't think the game is absolute perfection and I've shown and demonstrated those complaints, even upon the official forums and I've also played with and talked to their community manager telling him my concerns and what I'd do and also bringing up other people's concerns as well, have you done that?

@ensc

I understand where you're coming from man and it sucks that you don't enjoy the game but it'd be pointless for me to re-hash the same tired talking points from previous threads. I enjoy the game (even with the faults I've pointed out) and you don't. Respawn isn't gonna be able to please everyone. Out of curiousity how many patches have come out for BF1 or IW? I honestly don't know but I feel like Respawn is one of the most passionate developers when it comes to listening to their fans, other games say well you don't like it tough luck, that's how we wanted our game to be.

• Like Like x 3
  3. DARK BAWGS

DARK BAWGS Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

Hey IK, good post and I like much of what you say it is reasonable and rational. I would like to comment on a couple of your points, if I may, of course I may:
    1. Movies - you are correct otherwise they still wouldn't be making them. I think the movie analogy is better served when you do the "touch" test. I go to a movie and all in is about $30 CAD per person - 1 touch or 2 hours approximately.
      Now I buy a video game, I will use a worse case COD with Deluxe $129 CAD. Now assuming I play the game 5 days a week, which I do, for 4-6 hours, lets say 4. I play for 6 months. That is 20 hours a week for 26 weeks at an average cost of about .23 per hour or if you like "touch". I think gaming is great entertainment value and the popcorn is almost free at home!
    2. Unlock on regen - no way! I agree with you no specials for regen or purchase, everyone treated the same. On the other hand as I mentioned in a previous post:
      1. Everyone earns regen just as they do now.
      2. Challenge bonus - if you want to fast track to regen then meet challenges similar to what we had in TF1. All this does is reward the player sooner and encourages using other weapons, perks etc which serves to make them better players and keeps the interest up for folks that need that extra stimulation like EN, me and others. This to me is a win/win strategy.
    3. To Sheep or not to Sheep - no one is a sheep what makes the human race interesting is that we are all different. I for one try to respect everyone's point of view no matter how wrong they are! LOL You are right on about the iPhone comparison - I still have my iPhone 4S! I take great umbrage when a small group says they are disenfranchised because Respawn moved to a "new" feel for the game - damn it when are people going to realize that small community will not be able to fiscally support the game long term and this is a commercial reality!
    4. Regen - better or worse player - you are absolutely correct regen dose nothing, period! Having said that I hope you can agree that the Regen Challenges in TF1 did make better players. I for one didn't really start improving until I started doing the challenges, which forced me to use different weapons and the commensurate strategies to go with them. This is why I think my suggestion for Regeneration is a balanced, fair and more interesting approach and will go a long way to keep players like myself engaged for the long term.
    Just for the record I am enjoying this game very much and hope that as we go forward Respawn makes changes that draw more players in and keeps them playing for the long term. I am an optimist by nature and theorize that they have a three phase strategy for this franchise.
    1. Short Term - solve the problem of having too small a community. The way to do that is make the game more like a traditional FPS thus appealing to the mass market. Basically create a new game with same concept. Try to respond to the loyal community as best they can while still keeping to the short term strategy. Keep cost down and generate additional revenue where possible.
    2. Mid-Term - this is a two phase plan:
      1. Add upgrades and fixes as quickly as possible and introduce TF1 Maps slowly to encourage loyal users and slowly bring the new players on board. Keep development costs down by re-mastering "a few" TF1 maps. Introduce the "store" but only for cosmetics to enhance revenues.
      2. Prepare for TF3 - build off of the "hoped" success with TF2 to reintroduce some of the look and feel of TF1. This building and holding the new larger community.
    3. Long-Term - using the success of TF2 to launch an all new exciting TF3. This game would include some but not all of the TF1 things that many missed in TF2. If they do step 2 correctly this move will retain the community and we will have a truly new better, more creative and fun game that will still not please everyone but enough to keep the franchise viable.
    Now you might say where do I get off espousing this hypothesis, well after a career of almost 50 years in marketing in some very successful companies, and my last assignment before retirement was the Director of Marketing for a $200 million business unit in a fortune 100 corporation. So I felt it was not unreasonable for me to share my simplistic look how one could manage the business problem that Respawn actually faced.

It is interesting to note for all the negative chatter in this forum, the negative Nellies are still playing TF2, why you might ask - simple - it is the best game out there, period! IMO...

For what it is worth...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

@DARK BAWGS

I do believe that the Regen challenges made people better and I loved them, no doubting that. Also, I love that idea! (fast track to regenerate via challenges) as it lets people who don't have time to master all the weapons regenerate while allowing people who love to do that the option to regenerate faster, very nice!

5. Trini Chinese

Trini Chinese Generation 7

#45 Trini Chinese, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016

Cheers mate great post. best ever. thank you for the detail post . great points like words taken out of my mouth.
    Cheers.

6. Trini Chinese

7. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

#47 ensc, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    Thanks DARK! Appreciate your kind words. Respect your passion for the game as well.

Thanks Ik0n! Yes, I think you and I have pretty much agreed to disagree. I do respect you passion for Titanfall in general and your unbelievable drive at completing every possible challenge in games. You're pretty amazing.

Thanks Trini my boy! Really appreciate your kind words and your passion and I'm very happy if reading some of my words was like they were taken out of your mouth. I love it when that happens. Thank for the Borderlands stuff. Always appreciate anything Borderlands.

I hope you are right marketing man. Makes sense and I appreciate you making me happy with this.

I have to be completely honest though. I am a man who is not completely happy until I have the sweet taste of satisfying revenge in my mouth. I have taken this soiling of the game I loved, TF1, to "make the game more like a traditional FPS" as you put it, as a cheap shot and a low blow and I take that very personally. I'm OK if we lure them in with TF2, but only if the ultimate route is we rip out all of this traditional FPS garbage in TF3 and put it back to being a non-traditional FPS game which is what made it unique and special. And then I will take great delight and enjoy my sweet revenge when I am reading all of the crying and gnashing of teeth of the traditional FPS players who loved TF2 and are now furious with how TF3 turned out. Then they can feel what I am feeling right now. That will be a good day and i will delight in it and savour every last moment of it. That will feel as satisfying as if I was Jon Snow and just finished beating Ramsay Bolton to a pulp, which was one of the most satisfying things I have ever seen on TV. That's why I have the profile pick I have, because after fighting his way through hell and back, that was the precise moment where he spotted Ramsay and had that look like, "Oh yeah, now it's your turn buddy. I'm coming for you!"

8. DARK BAWGS

DARK BAWGS Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

It was not directed at you and you should not take it personally at all. It wasn't directed at anyone, I was just trying to express what I believe has happened, and being an optimist I tried to express what I think could, and I stress could, be happening, it is how I would have approached it as a business problem.

Based on what I think have been some major marketing blunders by Respawn/EA my confidence that they are thinking long term rather than their "knee jerk" actions has my "Spidy Senses Twitching". I am hopeful but also realistic and looking at the past often times is a predictor of the future - let us hope it ain't so!

9. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Sorry DARK if I gave you the wrong impression there. I was just using your quote, "make the game more like a traditional FPS", but when I said I take it personally that has nothing to do with you. I believe you are 100% accurate in your assessment, but what I take personally is that THEY even considered doing that in the first place and soiled the game I love, because what made me love the game was the fact that it was not a traditional FPS game. If it had been, I would have never played Titanfall in the first place. I ABSOLUTELY HATE traditional FPS games. That is why I have such a hard time playing TF2 and why I take it so personally what has been done to it. I had been tolerating the poor matchmaking and lack of anti-cheat system, both of which were only magnified by the low user base in TF1 for a long time with the hopes that TF2 would be a game I loved even more than the original and would now have a larger user base. To me, the progressions would have been faster speeds of everything including titans, more customization of titan loadouts and bigger maps with wallrunning titans. Instead, with the exception of better Stim for pilots, everything else has been a regression in exactly the wrong direction. So, what does this leave me with?
    1) TF1 - my favorite video game of all time with no matchmaking algorithm, no anti-cheat system and a small user base.
    2) TF2 - a traditional FPS game I really don't enjoy playing
    3) TF3 - ??? Who knows. I can only hope your assessment is correct and that is all I can hold onto, To be honest, I think at their core, they are traditional FPS people and felt TF1 was a a mistake, so I don't hold out a lot of hope. I think if numbers turn their way, they will do everything in their power to politically spin it as if TF2 was a success because of the move to being a traditional FPS game, because that is what they really want.

When you look at my assessment there, that is why I come across as being so upset at times, because this is very painful to me. If what I believe is true, then all I will ever be left with from the Titanfall universe that I will truly enjoy is the game that came out 2-1/2 years ago and has a very small user base now. This is why I get so upset, because I'm not just looking at the here and now or at the latest DLC. I have this whole big picture in my mind and where it feels like things are moving and it makes me very sad.

10. Trini Chinese

Mate again , it flew right pass you and again you still did not see it , just by what you wrote in your reply shows that you don't get it , am sorry my friend i really don't have the energy to explane it to you as you clearly don't see it .

it's not about the movies it's not about how much you or any one like's the game , and so on and so on .

mate what you wrote explaining to me about the respawn and cod thing about regenerating or prestiging . really dude sometime you speak like members in here don't know about video games or who respawn and cod is and you are the sole and only person that plays video games mate. i don't care if you shown or demonstrated that you think the game is not perfect or great , that is all well and find if you love the game you love the game , i love the game also lol hence the time i spend with the game and on the forums but that is not what i am talking about or even what the tread is about. do you understand.

the main thing is the whole regeneration thing in this day and age is out dated in it's concept and as a dev with this much experience they could do a whole lot better . and they can't tell me that they could not have come up with better ideas in the regeneration department or even to make thing different . i mean come on .

mate the reason i have responded to some of your comments is because of certain things and it's not that i don't respect your views or ideas to a game but i have notice that wile other members are speaking or giving there view you tend to question them on there view and wine about there wining , am telling you that i have notice it and if you take the time to go back to read what you write you or anyone will notice you seem to have a problem with any one that say anything that they don't like that is one of the reason i jumped on your case , this is not me having a problem with you but in a way to call you out on the BS .

titanfall 1 and current with the outcome of events are in a way a first of it's kind and in this day and age devs and publishers need to know enough is enough and need to get back to basic of what they loved about video games in the first place. this is not just about titan fall or respawn , this bs has been going around for some time now with many company's and some have gone out of business because of the bs .

any how again i am ranting . so please excuse me and i am sorry to all members for my rant if i am out of place .

• Like Like x 1
  11. Trini Chinese

i agree with you concept that respawn may be going with and more than likely you are close if not exact . and i too hope that part 3 comes out great if there is a part 3 .

but you know what sometimes and i have thought about it alot before this and i think sometimes gamers need to just game and enjoy what a game is meant for , and stop thinking about market shears and the business end of what a company do and focus on what we would like to play see and want , too many times i have read and herd people talk about the business part of a game this is all well and good if you are buying shears and so on but in the end sometimes i don't want to think about that and just want to dream about what a game could be and should be , see the world tru the eyes of a kid again lol you feel me .

• Like Like x 2
  12. RottweilerluvNZ

RottweilerluvNZ Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

Speaking of re-gen. I was extremely upset to have been fighting hard to just gen 10 with the Malitia, only to find out that there is no Gen 10 for factions!!, I found on google it goes up to 100!!!! what the heeeeell?!!!

So it's only pilots that can re-gen if I am right, which is cool. Shame though it had me going trying to 10 out a faction thinking surely that would mean something.....nup. Bummer.

Oh well, back to my kennel then.

13. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Trini my boy! Again, no need tp apologize. You have been the voice of reason for so long in these forums. If you've got a burr in your saddle, you deserve to get it off your chest brother.

This is an absolutely EXCELLENT point Trini. And I think you have put your finger on part of what makes me so upset by the direction they went with TF2.

As DARK has mentioned, with his marketing knowledge that I truly respect, they have probably moved in the direction of a traditional FPS game for business purposes.

To my mind and heart, which does want to see things through the eyes of a kid and wants to have the most fun possible, that was the complete wrong direction to go in. The kid in me loved that TF1 was not a traditional FPS game and what he wanted was faster pilots, stronger weapons, faster titans with more customizable loadouts and wall running titans on bigger maps with imaginative ways for pilots to get across those big maps faster like battle bikes. Now that would be exciting! That would be FUN! The kid in me would love that. The kid in me wants nothing to do with another run of the mill traditional FPS game.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I'm not gonna respond to this entire thing because clearly there is just a misunderstanding. I am gonna respond to this part I quoted though....

Of course I question other peoples views, how am I supposed to know where someone came to a conclusion if I don't know HOW they got to that conclusion? People who don't want to see things from other peoples perspectives don't question anything and I was raised to question everything. Also, I don't 'whine' about anything. This is a forum, forums are for discussion and what kind of discussion happens when people don't question anything? If someone questions my views, I'll go to any length to show you why I think the way I think. For example, I had a problem with people saying that no 'hardcore' TF1 fan likes TF2 and I went to lengths to prove that I'm probably the most dedicated, hardcore TF1 fan on these forums (this is just an example, I'm not saying that it makes me "better" than any of you). I'm just saying that to prove my point.

15. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

If I may, I'd like to try to offer some possible middle ground here. I'm not taking sides, but I think I can shed a little insight here. Trini, by all means, I am not trying to extinguish any of your passion, so keep it up brother. And Ik0n, I'm not trying to reignite any old arguments with you.

I used to feel exactly the same way about you as Trini describes and a post like you put today does not help. I cringe when I see this:

It doesn't bother me when Bruvas says something like this, because he is always just a lighthearted guy who likes to keep things not too serious. The only thing that bothers me if he would make a comment like that is that it is an opportunity for someone who always preaches this to say, "Hey, yeah, THAT!"

I think that is where Trini is coming from here.

However, I must say Ik0n, that you have gone out of your way and proved to me that you are way more of a hardcore Titanfall person than I ever could be and I think you and I have just gotten to a point where we have agreed to disagree. I respect you and I respect your opinion. We just disagree on a lot of things. I find it extremely hard to believe that anyone who loved TF1 could possibly think TF2 is fun, but you do, so OK, whatever.

Anyway, I know where Trini is coming from, because I've been there, but I think you and I have developed a cordial relationship.

16. DARK BAWGS

DARK BAWGS Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

Trini, I just want to clarify one thing about the highlighted part of your quote. The whole point, and I think I am the only one that keeps bringing up the business side of this issue, is to hopefully get folks to see the reality and as you say let it go, and play the game for fun. I love the game and enjoy playing it, yes, there are some things that I would like to see modified but for the most part it is pretty good. So please don't misread my message or intent.

thanks,

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bruvas

Bruvas Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

To clarify, my quote was taken from a different thread where the topic was on people complaining about spending money on cosmetics.

I've not actually read this thread yet so i don't know if the context follows suit. Although knowing the polar discussions this site has had recently, it probably will :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I was just emphasizing that I completely agree with his assessment within the context of that thread (being about paying for cosmetics). As in, Respawn stated from the very beginning that there would never be any pay-to-win model and the only thing that people would pay for is cosmetic and it would be an option. I'm not sure how this post means anything about me. There are quite a few other people that responded the same way in that thread. I'm done derailing this thread anymore though, to get back on topic...

I've regenerated and I'll regenerate as far as I can go because it's fun for me completing everything and I do enjoy the different camos, callsigns and emblems you get for doing so. I honestly don't think it'd be worth it for someone who is only going to play this game a little bit though, or for someone who doesn't really care about completing the game 100%.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I realize it was a different thread and believe me, I never have a problem with anything you say Bruvas.

I also do not have a problem with what Ik0n says anymore either. We do disagree on a lot of things, but trust me buddy, I don't ever intend to dig up any old wounds. I'm glad we have basically just agreed to disagree.

However, I did have a problem with you at one point, so when Trini said this in this thread:

I was just trying to pull something that might lend a little insight as to why he might feel that way, but perhaps the example I pulled was not the best example and not from the best place.

Sorry, if I caused any problems. It just seemed as though there was a conflict here and since I had been on Trini's end of it before, my only intention was to try to bring some understanding. I was not taking sides either. I did also mention how Ik0n had gone out of his way to prove what a hardcore Titanfall person he was and that I respect him and his opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Trini Chinese

what's up mate , the business conversation you bring to the table is a great thing my friend and i do understand and respect your views on it also i can relate and understand were you are coming from , which is why i believe i mention before to you after what you have experience in your career not many people can walk away with there sanity and there outlook in life in tack and those that survive and succeed the experience in my book have my respect. so cheers .

my thing with the business of video games over the years i have read and listen to many not you per say but other social media venue's you tube and so on , gamers around the world and news or reviewers tend to focus sometime too much on the business elements and lose track on the basics of what video games are . there are too many times i have seen debates on games with people talking about market sheers and so on and sometimes when i read or hear this i stop to think wile this is all well and good sometimes it's none of any one business to judge or even know what a business is doing but there own , leave the business part to the business people and as gamers just enjoy the game for what it is .
    i remembered years ago reading a debate on a site about a gamer a kid who was a fan of killzone and was waiting for part 2 to come out and got into a debate with others on how gamers should put a 5 dollar ad in the news papers to help promote the game as he thought that the game was getting bad reviews and wanted to help the market shears . and i have read many crazy things from people all talking about or more trying to talk about the business part of video games and how they ran there business and yet people keep falling into the same trap over and over with games like COD and how many millions they made and how this game is fighting for market sheers and so on and so on. after a wile am like IMO what and why are people getting into debates into these things that they themselves should not concern them..
    there are so many games out there many have not played or experience just because of the business tactics of certain company's have drowned them out in the media and games have lost out on a great experience. example Enslaved Odyssey to the West.

some times gamers focus to much on things that should not concern them and the thing that they should be concerned with as a consumer they are quiet , this is why i support different views on game topics bad or good as this is on topic on the game or any game not just titan fall . keep the views coming and the bigger the demographic the more views will come hence a better product. or even a whole different direction.

• Like Like x 2