TV input lag

Discussion in 'Titanfall 360 & Xbox One' started by ThirdGuyver, Jan 31, 2016.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ThirdGuyver

ThirdGuyver Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

Lately I've been worrying about getting losing out to players who, while unloading a clip into their actual face, do a pirouette, polish their car smg, then proceed to reduce me to a gibbering, frustated mess :confused:

I thought it may be my controllers, each with battery packs that randomly disconnect and my pilot slowly spins to a stop. So I was looking at wired vs wireless speeds for a while certain I was going to try wired. But read many arguments that advised there was bugger all difference.

But then came across TV input lag ( notice all the 'workman blames tools' themes:D)
    Theoretically could be making a small difference.

It seems hardcore PC gamers go for low lag screens, so why not TV's. The delay could be the difference in getting that trigger pull registered first, or that 40mm gooser...

Mines an 8 year old Philips 42" LCD. Can't for the life of me find input lag times for the exact model but read older Philips processing is not good for lag time...

I'm not trying to make up for any lack in skill by blaming stuff, but this could be a definite factor!

Thanks if you got to the end of this rant, and what d'you think?:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

It is definitely a thing, trust me. I have a BenQ gaming monitor I play on that has a 5ms response time. Most TVs are beyond 5ms and that's when it starts to effect fast-paced MP games. Try playing on a monitor that has a 5ms response time or less and you'll notice the difference.

3. ThirdGuyver

ThirdGuyver Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

Massive excitement face:D, its now top of the to do list, cheers dude!

4. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Check that.. I meant my gaming monitor is a 1ms response time.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ThirdGuyver

ThirdGuyver Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

:eek:

6. ThirdGuyver

ThirdGuyver Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

Played last night on my sons new little Samsung TV/monitor.. Man it was better, ( not placebo i hope!) felt sharper and goosers a plenty! (Arc, not 40mm...yet:D)

7. A4eaTransformer

A4eaTransformer Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

Glad to hear this. I looked into this a long time ago as I love my 50 inch Samsung TV. But there have been so many lag kills (me getting killed). I know it is lag as I am a full 0.5 to 1 sec of shooting head on first and then get killed with a few quick shots. Also, with the 40 mm goosers....darn, the number of times I definitely had in my sights and nothing but air. It is really hard to compensate for lag with goosers and the 40 mm. How big is your screen? I am very happy for you!!!

8. A4eaTransformer

Elite Pilot

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

This is a great site for anyone looking into this issue.

I probably have a 44 msec lag! Ugh. No wonder.

Although, really? that is 44/1000 sec. Less than .050 sec. Seriously, is it that tight? Maybe for some but the time course of my reflexes is probably an order of magnitude or two slower. Will it make a difference?

The other question is that of placebo. However, I gotta say Placebo is an awfully powerful drug. Just because something is a Placebo does not mean that it does not work!

9. ThirdGuyver

ThirdGuyver Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

It's an interesting subject this( for me anyway).

It seems there's a difference between input lag, output lag and response rate ( the only one manufacturers advertise as the rate is so quick, usually in the sub 10ms)

This is quite well explained here. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_lag

My TV is not on that database, @A4eaTransformer, but a good source of info.

My TV is a Philips 42pfl7603d/10. It is 6 years old and I can't find anything stating its output lag rate. (It states its refresh rate is 5ms) it has a heavy processing system and no game mode ( @A4eaTransformer , has your Samsung got a game mode? It turns off a lot of processing, resulting in less lag).

I've read its only noticeable above 30ms, and only is an issue at fast twich games at a pro level. ( If my TV is slow at 100ms or so, surely that's noticeable? )

There's also an eye opening human benchmark test here:
    http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

I averaged 363ms on this, perhaps the biggest factor in fps games. Kinda seems to make lag irrelevant.

But with input/output lag surely if you and an enemy visually notice each other at exactly the time, surely the one with the most lag will see the image second, no matter the time gap.

I need to find the output lag times of my nippers Samsung and my Philips to get an accurate idea.

The monitor sure felt better to me though, I can see why gaming monitors are used. It would be interesting to know for sure though

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I tried playing on my uncles 50" Samsung the other night and it is extremely noticeable. The only thing you will notice is the response time and it has to be 5ms or less. Less than 5ms is ideal. This is my monitor for example:

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-RL2455HM-24-Inch-Console-Monitor/dp/B007HSKSMI

I average 250ms on that site you linked so I might be a bit more prone to it but I notice anything 5ms or above there is a slight delay in the response to my joystick movements to when it corresponds on screen.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ThirdGuyver

ThirdGuyver Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

Been looking at the benq gaming monitors, that's definitely on my next purchase list, before of the elite controller!

Thanks for the conformation dude, couple of weeks ago I never even knew it was an issue, but now it seems quite a fundamental one for TF!

12. A4eaTransformer

Elite Pilot

I am looking for big and the largest Benq I saw was 34 inches or so. I guess I am going to have to give up my 50 inch if I do not want to be eternally frustrated. Any suggestions?

Thanks @Ik0n88x for the tip.

13. ThirdGuyver

ThirdGuyver Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

I guess it depends on cost, convenience and how extreme the solutions!

I am just gonna pop my gaming monitor (24 inch benq i think it'll be) under my wall mounted TV and use that when needed, stuffing it in the cupboard otherwise.

Or if its a new TV jobby, there are some out there, with sub 20ms input lag and sub 5ms response rate in game mode.

samsung ju7500
    Samsung UE40H5500
    Sony KDL-50W829
    For a couple of examples of low lag tvs

14. The Juggernaut

The Juggernaut Generation 7

Never giving up my flatscreen... but I guess I have never really had anything to compare it to such as a small monitor. I may be missing out, but for now I don't really notice a huge lag.

15. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I don't generally play on my flatscreen, I have a 50" Sony Bravia. I never got the appeal of playing a MP game on that, single player I can understand. I love playing all my other games on this 26" BenQ monitor.

16. A4eaTransformer

Elite Pilot

Oh Ik0n...this whole matter is confusing and expensive. Time will sort things out. The most disparaging thing is that according to 3G the Xbone out put is so limited that it will not match the better monitors. Maybe I should just wait it out until the box comes out with something that is as good as the monitors are. ????????? I must say I really like sitting in the slouch five feet away from my screen and hammering away. Big is awesome. But quality may be better. Just dunno.

17. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

It all depends on your personal opinion.

If the input lag doesn't bother you then don't worry about it. The lag really affects me and my gameplay which can be very frustrating.

18. The Juggernaut

My flatscreen is also a Sony Bravia! How close do you have to sit to see everything in the BenQ monitor? Does a difference really exist?

19. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I sit generally close all the time. I need to be IN the game when I'm playing lol

• Like Like x 1
  20. The Juggernaut

I have to admit, I find myself within 1 foot of the flatscreen subconsciously all the time. I never sit down while gaming. For some reason, I even physically lean to the left or right when I'm peaking around a corner or trying to move to a certain point. I was at a 70 degree angle from my TV while looking around a corner in Halo once!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1