What About A Shout Box?

Discussion in 'Feedback, Issues & Suggestions' started by Kingkat54, Dec 9, 2013.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Kingkat54

Kingkat54 Generation 7

I have seen this on other sites, a scrolling spot where you can post comments without going into forums.

Always a good way to keep in touch in a quick way.

Thanks

• Like Like x 2
  2. WhoIsDo

WhoIsDo Generation 7
    Administrator

Thanks for the suggestion! A shoutbox is something that we're looking into, but we don't want to detract completely away from the forums just yet.

Once we continue to see new members signing up and posting in the forums, we'll likely give a shoutbox a shot.

3. Kingkat54

Kingkat54 Generation 7

Sounds good. I get your point. Didn't think about any distractions.

• Like Like x 1
  4. daminecraftninja

daminecraftninja Generation 4
    Elite Pilot

Ive seen a chatroom in forums and it is a great way to just communicate with the community.

5. Chaz

Chaz Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

Shoutbox will be cool. I agree though, let's wait until we get some more peeps up in here.

6. Kingkat54

Kingkat54 Generation 7

Is this a VOIP for use while in the "forums"...? Or are you talking in game use? o_O

Either way, count me IN! ;)
    I can talk about anything for "TWO hours!"............"FOUR hours if I know something about it!":eek:

7. Chaz

Chaz Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

Nah, it's more like a text chat room for people to come and go. Nothing VOIP related.

8. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

Yeah, I was on CoD forum that had a chatbox...it was great...

9. TYPOGRAPH1C

TYPOGRAPH1C Generation 3

#9 TYPOGRAPH1C, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    OP, sorry to burst le bubble... but I would like to say "Nay!" for the idea of a shout box. It most certainly does detract from conversations on the forums. Also, it would do mostly 2 things if this game attracts competitive gamers.

1. Be a place where ALL people seemingly do is ask for a team scrim, making it hard to even hold a normal conversation.

2. Be the source of constant bickering and arguments, usually based on the outcome of item #1.

I know I'm new here, but I've been around the block... if it came down to a vote, I would lead ze charge against this "feature".

- TYPØ

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lambent Lucky

Lambent Lucky Generation 2

Like a chatroom where you can IM so you get immediate updates and lobbies when the game launches is a great idea.

11. GammonMaster

GammonMaster O.G. Original Gamer Before Platform Shoes, Baby!
    Elite Pilot

Shout box is a good idea after you have a balanced community so I say wait

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gaming To Excess

Gaming To Excess Generation 5

I run a site and have noticed a big difference with a shout box. You lose activity on the forum very quickly which is why I don't use them anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MysteriousScaRe

MysteriousScaRe Generation 2

Hm i wouldn't agree with you on that. I've seen many sites where this worked and a chat is very nice to talk with the users.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jnardz

Jnardz Generation 4

I think this feature would be a great addition to this site. Lets push for it.

15. Jnardz

Jnardz Generation 4

If I had a quick question I would like to just come on in the chat and ask away and hopefully get a quick response rather then posting a thread and waiting for a reply. Just my opinion,hope a lot of other would like this feature too. Lets start a poll

16. Sulq

Sulq Generation 5

I searched 'chat box'. This thread came up. So is there one? Do I need to post a certain amount in order to view this supposed chat box/shout box?

17. Junaid

Junaid Generation 1

Was just about to suggest this. We have a chatbox on a similar CoD forum I frequent and it's definitely a very worthwhile addition to the forum and doesn't divert too much attention from the actual forums. Most people just use it for small talk that they wouldn't be making threads about anyway, so it makes very little difference IMO. I'd encourage this sooner rather than later.

18. tommy290

tommy290 Generation 3

In my experience with another community, the shout box is used for quick BS. Maybe a question, but generally just for people to say hi and chit chat. If someone wants to really discuss a game, they do it in the forums. However, there would definitely need to be some people to police it. Titanfall, I think, will draw in a competitive crowd. Not everyone here would be like that, but someone mentioned that there could be some pissing contests and I could see that taking away from the value of the shout box if not moderated properly.

19. Sulq

Sulq Generation 5

I see what you are saying, however I feel that a shout box used for off-topic pissing contests is better than it being held in the forums.

Also once you get to know everyone a little more it can be used for friendly hello's. Also to share personal life information and/or regional current events that a simple shout box would work best for.

Forums work best when they are fun. Not serious. Serious is boring. The serious 'only need quick info & answers' members come and go, but your casual relaxed members who frequent the forums for more than just a quick answer are generally long-term.

Just my 2¢.

20. tommy290

tommy290 Generation 3

I'm totally with you Sulq. The only reason I mentioned the moderating was to make sure that if things got too heated (just like if it was on the forums) someone would step in and tell everyone to relax. I personally like shout boxes for the little personal stuff, as it helps members get to know each other and it's a nice way to interact with the community.