Xbox one headset recommendations

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Killer Redmond, Feb 23, 2014.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Killer Redmond

Killer Redmond Generation 2

I'm on the hunt for a new quality surround sound headset for the XB1. Any recommendations people? Thanks.

2. CRUCIAL

CRUCIAL Generation 4

Sorry to say it but there's no true surround sound headsets getting released with the launches in March, after I done a little research on what's coming out i decided to go with the Polk 4 Shot. It's released March 1st.
    The turtle beach Titanfall Atlas is also coming out as well as the xo4 and xo7 variants , have a look and see what you like best, hope you get one that suits.

3. ZJP

ZJP Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

I currently have Astro a40's and they work with the XB1 (minus the chat). Like Crucial said, the new headsets and adapters for old headsets come out early March. I read March 7th on the adapters + Turtle Beaches.

Personally, I'm going to pick up the Turtle Beach XO: Sevens...will pop back in for a review after I use them a few days later on Titanfall.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CRUCIAL

CRUCIAL Generation 4

Yeah I can give some impressions on the Polk set after I get them which is scheduled for 1st March, the xo7's were the ones I was looking at previously PJZ , so would be good to hear your thoughts on them, I wanted to try away from TB this time, as I've had a couple of their sets before but I find I get intermittent popping and hissing which is annoying.
    Hopefully with the xo7's being more optimised for x1 they'll be great though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. St4rgalaqtic

St4rgalaqtic Generation 2

I'm not buying a headset I have 2 for my pc, I am waiting for MS to wise up and allow PC headsets to be used on their console. I mean they basically built a windows 8 gaming box I know the capability has to be in there.

6. CRUCIAL

CRUCIAL Generation 4

Couldn't you just buy the headset adapter that's being released in March? Or is there something about either of your headsets that this won't be an option for?

7. St4rgalaqtic

St4rgalaqtic Generation 2

Both my headsets are wireless usb.

8. CRUCIAL

CRUCIAL Generation 4

Yeah , now I just feel stupid, you mentioned PC I should have clicked lol

9. GammonMaster

GammonMaster O.G. Original Gamer Before Platform Shoes, Baby!
    Elite Pilot

I think there will be better headset later on. Sticking with my TB PX5 with adapter till then

• Like Like x 1
  10. CRUCIAL

CRUCIAL Generation 4

Well I've completely changed my mind about what I'm getting, I still think the polks will be good but I've been payin attention to reviews and it seems the mic on them is getting some negative feedback about making the user sound faint.
    I was then looking at the xo7s and they seem solid but in essence they are jut an upgrade to my existing x42s, so I was looking to try something different.

I've decided to go with the Astro A40s , as I've always fancied a pair, and with the recent ms patch allowing Dolby digital support now , I can use them with their surround sound feature, and then it's just a simple case of picking up an adapter next week.

Also they come in red , which was just a deal clincher for me haha

11. Killer Redmond

Killer Redmond Generation 2

Interesting, how much are they available for? And are they fully compatible with the xb1? Cheers

12. CRUCIAL

CRUCIAL Generation 4

From what I've read they were always compatible with the x1 but only in stereo mode as there was no Dolby support on x1 at launch.
    The new patch ms are bringing out in march for the upgrades to party chat contains the Dolby support which can be toggled from settings , existing Astro users are already reporting it to work.
    This is of course if you have the patch early due to beta testing, if not you'll have it in March.
    Chat audio needs the adapter which ms are releasing for sale next week that's £20. The Astro a40 neon editions are £200.

Bit pricey I know, but I believe in quality doesn't come cheap, and if I wanna test that fancy sound chip ms put into the x1 I better have some decent headsets.

13. Wickerman

Wickerman Generation 4

The new Xbox One update supports digital surround now on the optical out. With that and the chat adapter that's due out next week, this essentially makes most all high end headsets compatible. I've used turtle beaches exclusively for years and I love them. Started with the x41, then the earforce delta, and currently have the earforce Tango. I've been using it on Xbox one since launch getting just stereo audio and using the kinect for party chat. I'm part of the Xbox update preview so I have Dolby digital now but have played only plants vs zombies: garden warfare so that isn't quite the best game to experience surround, but it sounds great. Even prior to the update the sound on ghosts, bf4, and the TitanFall beta was really good and provided decent situational awareness.

I would highly recommended avoiding the new "Xbox one specific" headsets, like the polk and turtle beach xo4, xo7, and even the new turtle beach TitanFall as these are stereo only and get actual game sound via the controller. I'm very skeptical of how great that can really be.

14. Raging Pillow X

Raging Pillow X Generation 3

I use Astro A40s and they are great. Recently the Astro brand has been suffering with quality and you may need to download an update from a pc to the amp of the Astros. I had some issues with the mic when i bought mine but the replacement set i use now works great.

If you have any questions regarding the A40s shoot me a message. When i first purchased mine it was a hassle.

• Like Like x 1
  15. CRUCIAL

CRUCIAL Generation 4

Really appreciate that thanks , with any large new tech purchase I'm always a little nervous things run as they should when I first hook them up but I suppose that's just me, nice to know there's help here from experience.
    i always used TB as well and generally I think they've been great I have been getting some hissing and popping with my current set though due to interference from other wireless signals .
    That's why I've decided to try out a different brand and Astros seem to be generally well reviews sets, also with the a40s being wired I'm hoping no more wireless issues, really don't want any problems while I'm stomping about in my Titan !

16. Myl0tt

Myl0tt Generation 3

Come join the astro family there expensive but you won't need to buy a new set 12 months later these thing are built to last

• Like Like x 2
  17. CRUCIAL

CRUCIAL Generation 4

Yeah I'm happy with my choice, just looking forward to getting them now, also feels nice to just order them knowing the order will be processed on Monday morning and not have to wait until the release date for new sets.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ZJP

ZJP Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

Could you expand on that a little more? I started on turtle beach x41s years ago and then upgraded to Astro a40s. Use the Astros in a double set up with my PC and xb1. I don't quite understand the new game audio through the controller thing. I was considering the new XO seven so I had something specifically designed for xb1. What's the downside?

@CRUCIAL I've used Astro a40s for the past 2 and a half years. Coming from turtle beaches, i was SO SO SO upset at first. The a40s had so much bass it almost sounded muddy. Like you were underwater. . It was like the TBs had all high trebly sound and no bass. Thought I had lost my mind or had a defective headset.

About 2 weeks in, my brain got accustomed to this deeper, richer sound and holy shit do they sound good. I'll be honest and say I got Astros because that was the official headset of MLG. But now I hear they've switched to TB...hence why I was considering switching. (Though the MLG may have switch because the new Astro a50s are wireless.)

So long story short, Astros are buhmazing.

Now I just wanna figure out if I just need the new adapter for my a40s, get the new XO Sevens or even upgrade to the Astro a50s.

19. CRUCIAL

CRUCIAL Generation 4

Thanks for the heads up I haven't heard that, aren't you able to customise the bass for the mix amp that comes with the 2013 editions though?

20. ZJP

ZJP Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

No no, I don't mean to make it sound like a bad thing. I just remember being so pissed at first and checking forums. All I could think was "muddy"....but it's only like that in comparison to those TB x41s. They had very "high highs". The Astros have a deep rich sound. Tons of bass. I don't have the 2013 edition so I don't know.

What I'm saying is, after a slight transition period from x41s to a40s...my mind was blown by just how good Astros are.

• Like Like x 1