First impressions (only a couple of hours played so take this with a grain of salt)

Discussion in 'General Titanfall discussion' started by Raging Pillow X, Mar 11, 2014.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Raging Pillow X

Raging Pillow X Generation 3

So far i am not as impressed as i thought i would be. Dont get me wrong the game is great, but I have yet to feel a rush when playing. I have not figured out the tactics to dominating the playing field yet (i seriously hope they are not as simple as run up high and shoot down low). life on the planets is not interactive which is kind of a bummer. i have yet to hear a teammate call anything out, in fact i have yet to hear a teammate talk during a match. multiple people have said they were talking but no one is able to hear eachother. The multiplayer maps appear almost identical to me right now. Hopefully as i progress the strategy of this game will unfold, and I can have a greater impact rather than just feel like i am aimlessly climbing buildings.

what has impressed me so far: hit detection is great, dedicated servers have been running very well, lag is minimal if any, the gameplay is very fluid and intuitive. I never felt frustrated while playing, but then again i never felt satisfied like when i dominate an entire clan in COD.

Is this game a COD killer, as of right now i dont think so but i still have hope. I do know the fluidity of this game is what COD should be.

Remember these are just my initial impressions. I think they will be completely different next week, but I am not sure if they will become better or worse.

2. pantong51

pantong51 Generation 4

I have about 16 hours in on PC, over 1000 pilot kills and have prestiged already. I have to say this game cant be compaird to COD. COD is old school now, and cant really do the things this game can. Near perfect balance, (minus the carbines), and the different game modes each have their own playstyle. i have played 110 matches and have only seen some of the maps 3-4 times. It is great, everytime i get in its a whole new experience.

3. Raging Pillow X

Just my initial impressions but they seem very comparable. Obviously Titanfall does more but I have yet to find the strategic part of the game. It so far feels like a lot of mindless running around and shooting. In order for the game to really grab a hold of me there has to be a strategy that I can employ besides go up high and look down. I am sure there will be and when i figure it out this will be one of if not the best fps i have ever played. if i do not find some type of strategy then the game will become very boring for me. I need that conflict where i am constantly out thinking my opponent. The strategic part of the game for COD is very transparent and i hope this will become the same.

Congrats on prestiging

• Like Like x 1
  4. pantong51

pantong51 Generation 4

I try to stay away from attrition because of that. Thats why i play a bit more hardpoint. But my "Mental checklist" for attrition is always, kill everything, grunts and bots to lower titan cooldown, pilot kills give 30, spectors give like 7 and gruns like 3. If you get first to fall, get in your titan, even if you do not like piloting them, you need to start steamrolling the other pilots to make it take longer to get theirs out. Then once my titan is destroyed, i run and rodeo as much as i can. Rinse repeat. Getting "first to fall" is such an amazing advantage you must try for that asap.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ZJP

ZJP Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

I'll never understand this point of view. The objective is to run around and shoot. People in FPS' still blow this and camp ...but the idea of a "shooter" is to do just that. Shoot. In first person. The other game modes give people something else to do or permission to camp. But really, the main goal is to shoot people.

You should try Pilot Hunt. That has WAY more of a CoD feel to it.

12 hours of playtime and I'm still in love with all of it. (minus Pilot Hunt and Last Titan Standing)

6. P0pSh0t21

P0pSh0t21 P0p them all!
    Elite Pilot

I love this game so far no complaints at all. In my opinion this will be a COD killer maybe not right away but just give it about 6 months and we will see. And I don't understand how you say it's just running around and shooting... That's all COD is besides capturing a flag in domination. You do the same thing on Titanfall on hardpoint. There is no strategy in my mind when it comes to COD besides camping that's all people seem to do on that game. On titanfall you can't really camp. You have to be running around killing everything gaining points to out the other team. I've always hated COD so my opinion may be bias, COD is nothing but camping and people drop shorting there is no strategy to it for me.

Ok I'm done ranting time to play some more Titanfall!

7. Raging Pillow X

allow me to explain the point of view. The part you are missing is the word "mindless". I want the running and shooting but i want there to be a logical explanation for why i take the path i do. For example, i want to be able to say that i am going to go this way because it provides cover and gives a high probability of me being able to flank my enemy. in my limited experience i did not see an advantage to any path, but the experience is limited. try not to be so defensive. it is just an inexperienced opinion that i feel like the movement is mindless. nowhere does it mention camping and you quickly digress from the subject to bring in a completely unrelated topic. a better way to approach the conversation could be to say "i have found X to be advantageous when maneuvering map Y". or you could say "the movement is mindless and fun and that is what is so enjoyable" which is understandable that a lot of people would enjoy that. I am by no means knocking the quality of this game. it is superb but whether or not it is my style remains to be determined. As of right now the problem isnt with the game it is with me. I have not figured out a way to tactfully traverse a map. If I cant i wont stay engaged in the game and i will log very few hours in it.

Also, if i hated this game i wouldnt come on the forums to bash it. I have better things to do with my time. I am actually looking for input to make the experience more enjoyable. So far i have found a couple of videos online dealing with tactics, and they will improve my experience a bit but i desire more.

8. Raging Pillow X

check out my other post. i thought the quality of conversation would digress after launch and it has. these are currently my perceptions and they are likely to change. i am more interested in advice on how to make the game more tactical, and thought i could provide my initial impression of the game. it is by no means a final review of the game.

9. P0pSh0t21

P0pSh0t21 P0p them all!
    Elite Pilot

@Raging Pillow X
    Your fine man wasn't trying to say anything you said was bad just putting up my 2 cents. Haha I'm sure after some play time you will find your strategy and will start to enjoy it thoroughly

• Like Like x 1
  10. Raging Pillow X

I think I am too used to the activision forums. the hostility over there is ridiculous.

• Like Like x 2
  11. P0pSh0t21

P0pSh0t21 P0p them all!
    Elite Pilot

Yeah I know what you mean the EA BF4 forums are horrible too everyone thinks there gods and that they can do no wrong.

12. CRUCIAL

CRUCIAL Generation 4

Raging Pillow I understand the point your trying to raise, unfortunately though I can't respond directly as I don't have the game yet !
    Once I do ill be sure to reply as constructively as I can.
    A couple of thoughts though until then, firstly I have to admit when I first played the beta , I didn't instantly fall in love with the game, that was due to previous experience with a lot of fps games and my inadvertent approach was still thinking with a traditional mentality. This changed as I became accustomed to TFs mechanics though. So as you already mentioned you would, give it some time to open up to you.
    Secondly, I was lucky to be playing the beta with a couple of friends, this is a sure factor to increase the fun level of any game, so maybe try running with some squad mates on party chat so you can incorporate tactics and strategy, if you have the option.

PJZ - you had me so jealous last night mate as I was watchin some of your vids your x1 auto captured lol ! Looks like you were havin a ball !!

13. Raging Pillow X

I am warming up to the game, but maybe attrition isnt for me. i love killing the pilots and titans. but the AI i could care less about. I am going to give the objective based games a shot. I did find strategies for getting at the pilots. grunts didnt need much of a strategy though. Two of my clan members are supposed to be picking up the X1 this weekend. I am looking forward to having someone to communicate with.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ZJP

ZJP Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

I wish people saw as much potential in AI as I do. It makes everything some more exciting. You can chase down a pilot and headshot him, jump immediately into rodeo a Titan, dooming it, jumping off, jump kick a grunt in the face, snap another's neck, take out two more pilots, and then headshot one last grunt.

You can do it the other way..and fine. That's cool. But the way I just described made it 10 times as hectic and so much more action movie.

I like to go Chuck Norris on them and sometimes take on 5 at once or even drop a Titan on one of their drop pods.

Adds a little extra meat to the plate for me.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ZJP

ZJP Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

HA! @CRUCIAL ! I didn't you were lookin' at that stuff. Just for you I cleaned up the vids. And I set up Twitch streaming so I'll be streaming for the rest of the day if you wanna watch on.

16. Raging Pillow X

I definitely see the potential for the grunts and i can tell what respawn has done. I see how you would find enjoyment in it. I need the risk of dying to get my adrenaline going. The grunts dont give me that rush, they feel like target practice and a target that isnt moving. I dont think i have even been killed by one yet. I do like the idea of dropping a Titan on their drop ships, and cant wait to get home to do this. The game is still very good and i am easily going to break 200 hours of play on it. Currently the only next gen game imo. I just wish that I could more easily seek out enemies that were human and not AI. Only been playing attrition and i am going to move on to playing some other game modes tonight.

17. ZJP

ZJP Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

My only thought on that is that you're moving too slow. See how often you can traverse a map, still making kills, while barely touching the ground. Just a thought.

• Like Like x 2
  18. pantong51

pantong51 Generation 4

best tip ever. Its true, even when useing weapons like the shtgun it helps. Semi related, just hit gen3

19. Raging Pillow X

Will that bring me in contact with more pilots?

20. ZJP

ZJP Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

Yep. For me, the more enemies I kill (whichever kind) the more often I get the Map Hack (or similar) burn card to see where ALL the pilots are.

Also, for the most part, if you see a grouping of grunts/spectres...9 times out of 10 you're likely to find a pilot.