I already regret buying TF2

Discussion in 'Titanfall 2 News & Discussion' started by Mic Blades, Oct 21, 2016.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mic Blades

Mic Blades Generation 3

I wish I would have seen this before I decided to buy it. http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10/21/titanfall-2-multiplayer-preview-bigger-and-better

It seems they made every attempt to make this game less chaotic and fun than the first one. They, for some reason, want it to be slower and more "tactical". The first one was great because it was so chaotic, you had to come up with your own tactics. You could go on a nice killing spree but die just as easily. Titans don't have loadouts now but archetypes, what? Sigh. Titans are basically artificially heavily protected now. Rodeo them to take a battery out of a Titan. Facepalm, and every Titan automatically gets electric smoke now after a certain time. Why are you trying to force tactical gameplay on a game and genre in general that's composed mostly of strangers who don't communicate because they don't have a mic or simply don't want to. Now pilot abilities are tied to classes of pilots as well. FFS, this game is a massive disappointment already.

I expect this game to die out much faster than the first online 3 months tops. After that, only small groups of high school and junior high kids will be left. I didn't play the beta, but most comments about it confirm this. The game is going to be a major disappointment and already is as far as game mechanics are concerned.

The entire premise of TF2's gameplay mechanics don't make any sense now. In TF1 pilots on the ground made sense because they could quickly take out a powerful titan that would massacre regular troops and grunts. So, it made sense. In TF2 it doesn't make much sense anymore. Titans are so difficult for a pilot to take out, these warring factions wouldn't waste the time or lives of pilots. They would just send in all titans and grunts. There wouldn't be much of a point in sending in pilots as a ground force, they're just going to get slaughtered until their titan is ready to go.

Hopefully the single player is better so I can get my money's worth out of the game. Luckily, I only paid 42 bucks for the game as well. The game is dumbed down. I think it will have the opposite effect in regards to player retention that they're hoping for. Or, maybe it's intentional and was with the first game as well, keep a steady influx of new players while pushing veteran players away out of boredom. Of course, due to clever marketing they will come close to their overall sales goals though.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bruvas

Bruvas Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Don't regret anything until you've tried it for yourself. Judge something on your own levels and merits or you'd never buy anything.

Have faith!!! (but keep the receipt :D)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mic Blades

Mic Blades Generation 3

You can't return a digital key. :) If I had bought it directly on Origin, I think I could have.

4. Mic Blades

Mic Blades Generation 3

I'm going to try to be optimistic and hopefully there will be enough freedom to cause havoc in TF2.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BIG D

BIG D Generation 4
    Elite Pilot

I think it will be a success, and with it being on the ps4 as well. Personally i love the game.

6. BIG D

BIG D Generation 4
    Elite Pilot

It's good too have abit tactics in a game, there will be alot of chaos so you won't have to worry about that.

7. Derrame

Derrame Generation 6

i've watchd lot of gameplay videos and there are no tactis, at least not yet

8. BIG D

BIG D Generation 4
    Elite Pilot

At the end of the day you got to play a game too judge a game.

9. Mecha Maiden

Mecha Maiden Generation 5

Trust in Respawn! Just think you could be playing COD :p

• Like Like x 1
  10. Getmused

Getmused Generation 4

i felt the same way. Until I realized how much fun I actually had during the testing

11. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

So you're judging it based on others opinion and an article? I've played the Tech Test and thought it was amazing. Sure there were things that needed to be tweaked but we were playing on a build from before June and it wasn't the final build of the game and they tried to stress that in messages in the game but people didn't seem to pay attention.

Also, I'm not sure where you're getting that Titans are hard to take out as a Pilot in Titanfall 2, if anything, they're easier to take out because they don't have regenerating shields anymore, so you can do massive damage and team shooting is more useful than ever. Also if you played the game you'd realize it's just as fast and chaotic as the first game once you master the new mechanics and combine your slides with wallruns and the grapple hook.

I'm a Veteran Titanfall player and I still play it to this day and I absolutely cannot wait for this game, so please save me the whole "us vets are disappointed and only kids will be playing this game" nonsense. Titanfall has always bared a similar resemblance to CoD which is totally understandable considering it's made by the same people who created CoD. But this game FEELS like Titanfall 1 and plays like Titanfall 1, play it before you judge it.

• Like Like x 4
  12. BIG D

BIG D Generation 4
    Elite Pilot

Well said.

13. ThirdGuyver

ThirdGuyver Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

Man, my nipper downloaded the infinite warfare beta earlier, so I had a little look.. I don't think TF2 has got much to worry about. It was like a pre-pre-pre alpha Titanfall stuck in molasses, with the feeling of an empty void of nothingness:D...not that I'm biased.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I just wanted to reply to Mic Blades original post and Ik0n's response, because I've been completely on both sides.

Mic Blades, I felt like I could have been writing your post a couple of months ago during the tech test and at the time much of it would have been warranted and appropriate. They had slowed it down. They had tried to make it less chaotic. At the time, your comment, "The game is dumbed down.", would have been 100% accurate.

However, after all of the outcry, they have pretty much put the speed and movement back to where as Ik0n says that it "plays like Titanfall 1". As long as that movement is there, which to me is the heart of what makes Titanfall Titanfall, that alone is what sets it apart from a game like COD. Even though as Ik0n says it was "made by the same people", it is it's unique movement that makes me prefer it over any other video game.

From what I have seen, I would have to agree with Ik0n that the titans are "easier to take out because they don't have regenerating shields anymore."

There are some things you pointed out Mic Blades that I agree are still problems or downgrades from Titanfall 1 in my opinion:
    1) I preferred the old rodeoing mechanics.
    2) I'm OK with the new titans, but I would prefer that the 3 originals with full customizable loadouts were still available.
    3) I also completely agree with this statement you made: "Why are you trying to force tactical gameplay on a game and genre in general that's composed mostly of strangers who don't communicate because they don't have a mic or simply don't want to.", so I am not happy with any movement in that direction. I believe the whole crappy battery thing was intended for that.
    4) I'm not sure you mentioned it, but the article you shared did. I am not a fan of them wanting you to know what weapons or abilities a pilot or titan has by how they look. Part of the beauty in battle is the element of surprise. I think all of their efforts in this regard were stupid, unnecessary and a waste of developer/designer resources and counter-intuitive to realistic battle. Your comment, ""The game is dumbed down.", would actually still apply 100% to this aspect of the game.

At this point though, I feel those concerns are just nitpicking and superficial.

Anyway, I believe I was where you were a couple months ago Mic Blades, but now I agree with Ik0n 100% when he says this, "I'm a Veteran Titanfall player and I still play it to this day and I absolutely cannot wait for this game"

I'm very happy with how the movement looks. I'm very happy they've included Attrition. I can't wait to give Tone and Ronin a try. I can't wait to try some of the new weapons and tactical abilities. I'm very happy if electric smoke is standard and grenades replenish on a timer. I don't think it will be my favoritre, but I'm looking forward to giving Bounty Hunt a try. I'm looking forward to Amped Hardpoint, because I'm one of the best in the world at Hardpoint and defense was my strong suit so that plays right into my wheelhouse. I'm very excited about the new "Free For All" mode they've added, because that feels like it was made for me. There is so much to look forward to, but above all of the things I mentioned, I am most looking forward to and most excited for the Single Player campaign and the relationship between BT and Jack Cooper. I plan on just taking my time and enjoying every aspect of that for the first 2 or 3 days. I hope you find that you like the game Mic Blades.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Mecha Maiden

Mecha Maiden Generation 5

Right?! I had written off COD long ago but wanted to see for myself how it was. That is only way I feel I can continue to talk smack :) And Man the mechanics are awful, maps are white washed and those weapons..... But hey all the crappy campers will play and leave Titanfall for the real gamers

• Like Like x 4
  16. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Amen!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Trini Chinese

Trini Chinese Generation 7

i agree with you on many points and that when we compare titan fall 1 to titan fall 2 being that part one had many great features that were not present in other games or if they were it was implemented well in part 1 part 2 is a in my opinion the first real game respawn has fully invested in and yes i do agree that many changes are a head scracher not all are that bad when you look at the concept they are going with . i am excited for part 2 and i hope that when part 3 comes out it's even better that and i hope other company's make a titanfall type game also not just respawn .
    the campaign is a plus and if you are a gamer you should not miss out on the story .
    it takes time to implement all the ideas and feed back and only time will tell to a better product . with the larger demographic now as it is on multiple platforms we will see even more epic ideas in the future.

i say get the game my friend you will like it , from what i have played and videos i have seen it is shaping up to be epic that and there is no other game like it so far . i just hope to see more AI integrated in the multiplayer as it is a very different experience and titanfall 1 and respawn have a working concept that more games need to implement IMO . you will get your moneys worth i have a lot of faith in respawn and the community .

• Like Like x 1
  18. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I agree with Trini that this game is shaping up to be epic. I also agree with Trini and hope that other companies would make titanfall type games. Let's get some competition to push Respawn to be even better.

Trini and I have basically agreed to disagree about the AI. I love that there will be no AI in Free For All. I love that there will be no AI in Amped Hardpoint. However, I also love that there will be AI in Attrition and Bounty Hunt. In modes where the objective is basically just all out killing for points or dollars, then they absolutely belong there. However, if the objective is capturing hardpoints, capturing flags, or specifically killing pilots and/or titans, then they don't belong there. I don't want them getting in the way or having any impact on the purity of those modes where killing AI is not part of the objective. I don't want them forcing me to give away my position, or finishing me off while I'm licking my wounds after an epic battle, or blocking my flow through a door or window, etc. I love that in Free For All if I see something that looks like a pilot then I know it's a pilot. That way I'm not accidentally shooting at a grunt, thinking it's a pilot, and unnecessarily giving away my position so that now another pilot can pick me off who otherwise would not have known I was there.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Trini Chinese

Trini Chinese Generation 7

20. DARK BAWGS

DARK BAWGS Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

Mecha, I agree with you, sadly, as one who was a big fan of COD from the beginning it hurts to abandon it. Truth is I think the developers abandon us!

Ensc and Trini make some excellent points and I agree with many of them. As to comments made about slowing the game down, I think it is more a matter of adopting to a new form. FrothyOmen does a good job in the following videos of showing just how fast movement can be:

To me if one can master these techniques then speed of the game will not be an issue.

I go back along way and remember thinking how awesome the games were to us in the early days, the problem is we have been spoiled, games are incredible it is just that our exceptions exceed the capabilities of the developers in many cases. Sometimes we just have to accept this iteration of the game and encourage the developers to build off of what they created with improvements and innovation.

That brings me back to the fall of games like COD and to some degree Halo - they have lost the "creativity" and are just giving mods of what they did last time with some cosmetic changes, not always for the best. It is my, not so humble, opinion that they have a cash cow and are milking it. The whole thing with DLC and coins you can buy sucks!

I have been playing the Infinite Warfare beta both weekends and it is terrible, this game has gone backwards and I will not be playing after launch. Unfortunately I have a lot of friends who will continue and I will miss them but I am not prepared to invest my time in something that is just not good - not when I have something like TF2 to look forward to.

Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble but i wanted to share my thoughts on so many of the points raised. I could have gone into much more detail but I think you get the idea of where my head is.

PS: although I am not a Battlefield fan I comment them for the job they did in listening to the community and providing a game that is more true to their roots. I played the beta and was impressed, just not my game. I did start with the first BF on PC and stayed with it until Bad Company on the Xbox, so I do have an idea what the roots of the game are.

• Like Like x 4