PC distribution details coming, does Steam have a chance?!

Discussion in 'Titanfall PC' started by WhoIsDo, Jan 12, 2014.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. WhoIsDo

WhoIsDo Generation 7
    Administrator

For some reason, I had thought that Titanfall for PC was announced as an Origin exclusive. It looks like that may not be the case, and the game looks to have a chance at coming to Steam.

Here's a recent tweet the game's official account made:

2. Kingkat54

Kingkat54 Generation 7

Uhhhhhhhhhhh....................kinda doubt it. I do not think it will be on Steam.

Didn't Steam and EA have a dispute a while ago? Over licensing fees....or something like that? They pulled some games from Steam. Crysis series.

3. Chaz

Chaz Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. WhoIsDo

WhoIsDo Generation 7
    Administrator

While we know it'll be on Origin, their wording seems to indicate that there's at least a chance for Steam!

5. D2ultima

D2ultima Generation 4

It's more than likely that there'll be a chance for Direct2Drive or GreenManGaming etc to share the keys, as BF3 and 4 had. All EA games coming out lately require you to activate on Origin, which would make a steam copy pointless as it'd simply launch Origin. IF they did it Crysis 2 style and had their own keys... I'll be more than happy, however.

6. VonDrake

VonDrake Generation 2

I hope they release it on Steam, but if it doesn't appear on pre-order by now I highly doubt it will the more near to the launch date.
    I don't really mind using Origin, but almost none of my friends use it, and the interface looks cold and boring, but hell, if the game is worth it I can get past it, even if it uses battlelog, or in this case, "titanlog" lol

• Like Like x 2
  7. Kingkat54

Kingkat54 Generation 7

I think its the way forward in PC gaming. I think even Amazon wants in on the action.
    They just bought the gaming company Double Helix Studios.

• Like Like x 1
  8. KingOfGaems

KingOfGaems Helpin' you in the best way, day by day.
    Elite Pilot

I believe they did announce it wouldn't be on "Battlelog". I probably could search for the tweet.

9. Th3WatchR

Th3WatchR Generation 2

its EA, i'd say 99% chance no go on Steam ever. Not unless EA starts to realize that Origin cant compete with Steam.

• Like Like x 1
  10. D2ultima

D2ultima Generation 4

Origin can easily compete with steam. EA does not want Origin to compete with steam. They're not putting the effort, and they know already what should be done and added to the program for it to be a good thing. They still don't do it.

11. Chaz

Chaz Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

Sometimes I would like to know what stops companies from doing what Steam does. In order to compete, they have to put games on sale that people want. And not just 10% off sales. Full-fledged "Steam" sales, but on Origin. Then, Origin will compete with Steam.

12. D2ultima

D2ultima Generation 4

I wasn't even counting sales. I was counting proper support for non-US/UK users. The origin store for me (both website and client) is in spanish. My country's native tongue is English. It always has been. But because we're 3rd world they lump us together with other places and don't care to fix it. They also charge us in euroes. Our minimum wage here is $1.96 USD per hour. Their games cost $15 USD more with the price in Euroes. So explain to me why I would want to use their program for any reason ever? And when you tell them things to fix, they don't do it. They'll be quick to tell you about a "feature" you may not know about, but when you correct them and state that what they are referring to isn't the problem you have, they stop talking. I've even been promised by their official twitter that the store would have switchable language and default to english if the country wasn't known, as well as defaulting to US currency if the country's official currency is not supported. I was promised that these features will be implemented in 2013, and it is now february 2014 without any such change. They don't care. They likely never will care. They don't want to be a steam competitor. They want to be a 1st world country program with decent support for US/UK users only with lots of region-locked specials and giveaways and the reason people even USE their program is because you're forced to to play their newer games. Even the single-player portion of games like Sim City have required connection to online servers, and needing battlelog to launch BF3 or BF4's single player means it's not possible to do so without connecting to their origin servers.

Basically, they don't give a rat's meowmix about the users, but since their games are in demand and they are making us use their program to play them, their program gets traffic anyway, and thus they are happy because they have traffic.

13. Chaz

Chaz Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

Damn, I didn't even think about it that way. Sorry for the trouble you've had with Origin. :(

14. D2ultima

D2ultima Generation 4

I don't blame you. Most people in the US or UK don't know how bad it is for other countries. It's not just my country either, a lot of other people have a ton of problems. It's really ridiculous.

15. CuzMe

CuzMe Generation 1

Dam that sucks, sry to hear : /
    Origin is really bad, not only the support but it's just buggy and doesn't work as well as steam. Took me 4 days to download battlefield...
    The only reason I use it it's because it has 1 game (2 when Titanfall comes out) that I play and it's not on steam.
    Hopefully it will be on steam, although I doubt it will.

16. pokefan548

pokefan548 Generation 1

I understand EA doesn't like Valve very much, but gaezus, they should get the hell over it! Steam is relatively better known, and they listen to their community. I'm hesitant to say "think of the players", but in EA that's translated to "think of the wallets." Besides, from what I've heard steam doesn't take all that much out of your earnings! They'd probably make more putting it on BOTH platforms, instead of turning half their community off at the interface, irresponsible mods etc... etc... etc... [/rant]

But seriously, looks like a fun game, and I'd be ever so happy to see it come by steam. Keep up the good work, and try to keep the upper-management dragons from breathing down your necks too hard ^_^

• Like Like x 1
  17. D2ultima

D2ultima Generation 4

They don't even turn away half their users. I guarantee this. People want to play a game and will use the program to play the game. It's the same reason people use it for Battlefield or say "I use origin because I have games there". Which is why Origin gets any real use at all. If they didn't heavy-hand people into using it, they wouldn't get any traffic with it, whereas with steam people RATHER buy games there than in other places like D2D or whatever that don't give steam keys. And I am one of those people myself, with games like Burnout Paradise (which to be fair I had prior to Origin on the old EADM service, which wasn't bad at all truly).

Also, EA still puts games on Steam... like the Sims. But games which need an EA account? They're currently creating them without the ability to sign-in in-game (for example, like you could do in BF:BC2) in order for Origin to be used more.

18. Matt Peters

Matt Peters Generation 2

I dont see it. That would be like BF4 being on steam (oh god how I wish) So it will probably not happen.