Rank System

Discussion in 'General Titanfall discussion' started by BattleReadyPB, Apr 5, 2016.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. BattleReadyPB

BattleReadyPB Generation 5

Anyone else get screwed over by this :p

On my Journey back to Diamond I find myself stuck at Gold 4

What's really funny about this is I got bored and made a new account to work through the ranks again from gen 1 to gen 10... That account is sitting at Platinum 3. Made P1 in a day lol.

Anyways I cant for the life of me get my 10 gen account past P1:eek: and I consistantly get in the top 3 overall in damage sometimes I even peg the damage bar and dont gain a battlemark...

Just thought I'd share my rant...
    Bored, Nightshift, Timekilling...

What's everyone sitting at for a rank?

2. A4eaTransformer

A4eaTransformer Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

Good luck with this one. On one account I am at gold-silver and it just does not move. In a new account I was at gold in a day and am still moving forward. Obviously in my case it is easier with a new account to move forward as a gen 1. Rank play has a mind of its own. Last night I had 94 points, no deaths, top of the board, gen 1 silver, and was playing with gold and some gen 10's. Did not get a rank chip. Bla bla bla on and on.

3. BattleReadyPB

Brutal. Yeah thats the thing I'm talking about lol.
    I played a 6vs6 match of pilot hunter today, pegged the damage bar with 20 kills, lost a battle mark because I had 8 deaths maaaaybe but still... If you win a game and max out the damage bar you should get a mark... C'mon rank system...

4. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

Yeah, if you have a search, i posted an explanation of the system from one of the devs that I pulled from reddit. But anecdotally it seems deaths are the big one, that and if you are playing kids with no monitors...or thumbs. A beastly game against them will get you nothing. The deaths one is weird though. I had a game where I stood in spawn for like more than half the game, didn't die, started playing, got something like 3 pilot kills, 2 titan dooms and a smattering of grunts and no deaths and got five stars for the match o_0.

It is an overtly complicated thing but it's a bit like a matchmaking system, sometimes it makes sense, sometime it defies logic. But it seems to work. Every high rank diamond I've played has wiped his arse with me. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  5. BattleReadyPB

Not me, theres few consistant diamond players in which I have no clue how they maintain a diamond...
    I have a hard time keeping Platinum 3...
    Shit I made it to Diamond 2 and lost it the next day... All the way down to Platinum 3 by the next day.
    Needless to say I shut that shit off and it's degraded to Gold 4. I recently turned it back on and cant get it past gold 5 now...

6. RottweilerluvNZ

RottweilerluvNZ Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

Oh man you just reminded me of the fact that I've been through 3 controllers in the last 6 odd months trying to stay in the Diamond tier!!! (don't think I'll be throwing this elite one at the ground though, holy crap was expensive!)

I don't know much, but it's like Sgt_Rawk said.

All I know is that when you fight like a mungrel, getting killed - will lose you chips real quick, got to end a match with no deaths in case you don't kill enough pilots, titans and AI.

Rank system, keeps you going, but one way to throw a wobbly when you start losing them!.

And the season end is butt, sucks - I guess that's a way to keep people having to crack at it.

Good luck out there.

7. RottweilerluvNZ

Elite Pilot

The Diamond guys are just hardcore - once you get a rank you've got to know when to turn it off, I've gone into diamond tier 3 before and kept playing against hard teams - no good, really happy to be there and within a few more matches it's gone by by.

Play a match against a team first without chip on, watch the good players in the next team mix up you've just been against and you'll know when to turn it back on again if they jump to your side or not.

If there is a resident arse kicker online, don't have it on while they are playing.

Don't go up against teams that are kicking arse with rank chips on, you'll lose it real quick. Got to know when to turn them off.

Although that might defeat the purpose, it's one way to get ahead. Nothing wrong with waiting till the right moment to rank up.

8. BattleReadyPB

Yeah I do that, I turn it off when I go into Angel City and Demeter. I lose connection often, lose a battle mark every time that happens.

I got 119 attrition points along with a win and lost a battle mark
    I had 6 deaths but I was only at Platinum 1... Should not have lost a battle mark for that performance. 12 pilot kills 6 titan kills.

I know a few Diamond 5's that leave their rank chip on even when they know they might be on a losing team. Beasty players. Lord Pain, BNR El Sinaloa.

9. BattleReadyPB

Played a campaign attrition match, 79 points, died 7 times, got all 3 battle marks...
    Wierd.

One thing I did different though, I used an SMG instead off the douche pistol...
    Does weapon choice bear any impact on earning battle marks?

10. RottweilerluvNZ

Elite Pilot

Almost given up on my Gen 10 profile. For some reason I seem to have better games with my new profile Gen 3, surely it has something to do with Gen levels.

11. rainman0211

rainman0211 Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

@RottweilerluvNZ Less stress and more fun to be had the second time around if you ask me. Everything is easier with the been there done that attitude of a seasoned pilot secure in the knowledge of what you've already learned. You've been the before and you know the ins and outs.

• Like Like x 1
  12. A4eaTransformer

A4eaTransformer Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

Almost done Gen 7, second time around. I have done it all on Attrition as I did the first time around. It definitely goes much quicker mainly because you already know the optimal way to use each gun and one has acquired much better parkour skills and Titan strategy skills. It does get a bit grinding with some challenges thigh for sure. I was shocked at how much more quickly the G24 pilot kills went this time. Once you get used to the G24 you realize that it is one of the most underestimated and under valued weapons. I probably Do not use it as much because I am lazy and like the automatic weapons. In truth it probably kills just as quickly if you have time to actually aim. It is a great weapon to practice doing one shot head shots with. It gets you used to to instinctively aiming for the head. Wi automatic guns I just spaz out and spray wherever. I rambling again.....

13. rainman0211

rainman0211 Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

G24A is nice at killing. I enjoyed the challenge with it.

14. ThirdGuyver

ThirdGuyver Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

I'm almost done with gen 7 again too! Just pesky executions.. I really did enjoy the g2a4, (not match trigger though) satisfying, straight and gets you focusing... Got killed a fair bit though:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  15. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

As a computer programmer, their rank algorithm is infuriating, because it would be so easy to make it good, you just have to have the desire to do it. You have to think everything through and account for everything to make it fair. Here a couple examples of what I'm talking about. You can't have a player of similar rank join the game late, do decent and not die, and take a battlemark away from the player who was the MVP of the winning team, was there the entire game, but maybe died once or twice. Or, you can't have a player who has no help in hardpoint, which with the 15% bonus for the win, makes it a team effort, play the pants off of the other team as an individual even though the other team had maybe 4 decent players, and then take a battlemark away from that player, because his team lost and he didn't get the 15% bonus. If you are going to have a rank system at all, then you owe it to the players to put some time and effort into the algorithm to make sure it takes absolutely every aspect into consideration.

16. BattleReadyPB

With an alternate account I am at diamond 2 right now. 1 mark away from daimond 3, on my gen 10 account I cant get past platinum 2.

17. ThirdGuyver

ThirdGuyver Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

Stayed on gen 1?

18. BattleReadyPB

19. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

#19 ensc, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
    I don't have any problem gaining rank. If I only played 1 profile, it would always be Diamond V, but I like to balance 4 profiles and see how high I can keep all of them. Two are at Diamond II right now and two are at Diamond III. I've finished a season with all four at Diamond IV twice. The thing is when you get up in the Platinum and especially Diamond area, battlemarks are precious. I mean, you had to work your butt off and play an almost perfect game, best offense while at the same time not getting killed at all, just to earn one battlemark, so you don't want to lose it for some illegitimate reason. I mean, if I get beat fair and square, I can live with that.

I cannot accept losing a hard fought battlemark for any of the following reasons (which happen too regularly):
    1) If you already have your rank chip enabled and don't realize it and go to click where "Enable Rank Chip" text would be, Titanfall throws an error, locks up and crashes. It knows you had your rank chip on, but it doesn't know that you didn't even get to play even once second of the game, so it takes a battlemark away.
    2) For some reason, Titanfall just completely crashes in the middle of a game. I don't mean the "Lost Connection To Server" thing. You are still in Titanfall with LCTS message. I mean, Origin is still open, but Titanfall completely crashed and closed. In those cases, even if you were 10 minutes into the best game you ever played in your life, were guaranteed MVP of winning team and it was already showing you were going to earn a battlemark, guess what? Not only do you not get that battlemark you earned, but you lose one you already had. This one is the worst, because it is like a double negative.
    3) Speaking of the LCTS message mentioned in #2, this one is almost just as frustrating, but at least it's not a double negative, just a single negative. It usually happens when the game is completely over and the stat board is on the screen and you admiring the results of your hard work and knowing you've earned a battlemark. Oh, but wait, NO, "Lost Connection To Server" Sorry, no battlemark for you.
    4) Then there are the losses of battlemarks, or just being prevented from earning a new one, due to the poor rank algorithm I mentioned 4 posts above that are just unacceptable.
    5) Then there are the losses of battlemarks, or just being prevented from earning a new one, due to players who have no respect for the game or other players so they use a cheater subscription.

The first 4 are just the result of lazy, shoddy, poor programming. #1 through #3 can be fixed simply by adding one new variable, let's call it GAME_STATUS, with a value for each player that gets set at the start and end of each game with these values:
    GAME_STATUS = 0 (normal state when player has not entered a game yet)
    GAME_STATUS = 1 (once your feet hit the ground out of the drop ship)

Now, it does not get set back to GAME_STATUS = 0 until it has credited you with whatever you had earned or lost during that game. So, now think about it, in the case of #1, #2 and #3, when these crashes/losses of connection happened, the program should know that the even though the player is not currently in a game, there GAME_STATUS variable was left at a value of 1 indicating they did not get to finish the last game they were in, so nothing in their experience/rank should be updated, but then the GAME_STATUS variable should be set back to 0 to prepare for the next game.

#4 is just due to lazy programming as I mentioned in my post above. The rank algorithm needs to factor things in like: Who was there the entire game and who just joined at the end? They should be treated differently. It should also factor in if you were the only Gen 10 on your team with all Gen 1s and the other team was all Gen 10s, but even though your team lost, you outplayed all of the Gen 10s on the other team even though you had no help. You have to factor everything into the rank algorithm. It is just lazy to treat everyone as if they all were there the entire game and they are all equally skilled.

#5 is just something Respawn owes to their players in return for the $millions they've made on the game. I mean, cmon! You have got to police the cheaters and immediately banish them to a cheater server where they can all just play their fake games together, but those who love and respect the game should never have to have one second of their game time affected by them.

20. BattleReadyPB

^ is your gamer tag El Sinaloa?

Your #4 in my oppinion should factor in the number of games/total time played instead of gen 1 vs gen 10.

I know gen 1's with 5000+ hours total play time.

• Like Like x 2