Titanfall 2 Tech Test Weekend #2 Impressions

Discussion in 'Titanfall 2 News & Discussion' started by WhoIsDo, Aug 26, 2016.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. WhoIsDo

WhoIsDo Generation 7
    Administrator

#1 WhoIsDo, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Hi everyone,

As you should know, the second weekend of the Titanfall 2 tech test is officially live! Since we'll all be putting together a ton of time on it, let's compile all of our feedback, praise & suggestions into this one giant thread. Some of the developers lurk this forum, so I'd like to make sure they have a central thread to look at how everyone feels about the recent changes.

Not sure what the recent changes are? Check them out here.

Important: Please be constructive and descriptive with your criticism. If you don't like something, explain why. If you love something, explain why. The more descriptive you can be, the better it is for the developers to understand where you're coming from. Thanks!

2. KernelClamjuice

KernelClamjuice Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

#2 KernelClamjuice, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    I will keep editing this post to update my dislikes and impressions.....so keep checking back....

I got the update...but no new map or Titan.

First ......2nd impressions.

1. Game still sucks...... THIS IS NOT Titanfall !

2. The Red Halo around the enemy absolutely ruins this experience.

3. Kit 2......"KILL REPORT". Why would this rate it's own kit? Why do I care enough to choose this option so I know where enemies are getting killed on the useless HUD. It's simply not valuable enough to choose as a load out..

4. Bring back the old HUD.

5. I honestly feel so disconnected from my Titan it's ridiculous. I have ZERO desire to enter it because I know it won't last long. It doesn't feel like mine. The change to 3rd party view when entering was another decision by the designers that deserves a punch to the Jejunum.

5a. Dome shield shouldn't be a perk or a ....load out.. It should be automatic. Needs to be like the old game.

6. The first two maps showcased do nothing for me. Too small. Absolutely is not a Titanfall Map.

7. The AI aka. Grunts and spectres all drop in the same place. How about random drops?

8. The Mag Launcher is absolutely useless.

8a. Why are every single weapon and tactical ability redone? Was it so hard to keep the same farging mag launcher?

9. Bounty Hunt is not fun.....Attrition wasn't broken.....why remove it?

10. Everyone is a Spectre.......what happened to the good ol Pilots? This is lame!

11. What is this Merit system?

12. What level Pilot am I ? Why can't I regen? I want to know who on my team is a gen level 1 or 10 or 20. All i could think about was how many gen levels were they gonna give the pilots. I thought the possibilities were endless. Come to find out it's yet another thing removed from the game. Another stupid decision that was agreed On.....Then another idiot higher up ok'd it....lol

13. The directions or arrow...to the Drop Ship is hard to find for me...anyone else have this problem? Yet another thing that wasn't broken in the first game that the morons decided to recreate.

14. Finally played Forward Base Kodai. It feels empty just like the other two that are showcased.......the designers deliberately try and force you to find at choke points......it got old real quick.......the unique feel of T1 fighting wherever it happened far out weighs these maps....the unpredictability...........was awesome..

14a. If this is all you got Respawn designers you suck. Go back to Call OF Duty...Modern Warfare or whatever else it was that you were doing.....because you should be ashamed of yourself to call this Titanfall.

14b. Colors feel the same. Nothing on the walls. Same reddish brown misty smog feeling throughout the game....

15c. T1 had colors.......water....blues.....reds...greens......a feeling of this is where people live and work.......a feeling of this place was once occupied. These showcased maps are dull...plain.........

16.. As I stated above ....Titans are useless in this game. The weapons are terrible......what the hell is the useless main weapon that ION has? It seems like it does nothing. I try to track down a Pilot who is running and I can't. I'm supposed to be a huuuuge Titan yet I feel almost helpless against a Pilot trying to Rodeo me.

17. THE GAME MOBILITY ABSOLUTELY SUCKS.....yes it's better since they say they made it a little faster but it's still terrible. I CAN NOT EVEN IMAGINE HOW TERRIBLE THIS WOULD ALL BE WITHOUT THE GRAPPLING HOOK. WHY WOULD ANYONE NOT CHOOSE IT.

18. The load outs and choices are remedial........the majority of them should just be standard....the idea that designers had to add more choices of load outs seems like it was just done to appease the masses......when most of them should just be standard. Another poor chase.

19. So much of this game has changed from the first release it can't be called the Sequal.....it just can't...

20. The Titan drop was changed from the first game for the worse...not for the better. As stated previously.....all the Titans should drop with a dome shield.....and the dome shield should stay in place for a certain amount of time just like Game 1. Yet another Jejunum punch is deserved to the designers.

21. The Titan dome shields are the most colorful thing in the game. Goddamn shame too.

22. Bounty Hunt is boring...I'm sorry to say....Attrition is and was better.........

22a. Attrition tells me how many Titans I brought down... how many Pilots I took out......and how many Minions I disposed of.........Bounty Hunt is boring.

23. Not enough AI in this game. They should be landing all over the place the entire game and not just all at once in one specific place.....boring...

24. Where in all things holy are my spectres to hack?

25. Why in fucks name can't I hack a turret?

25a. Where in the fuck are the turrets?

26. Where are the jet fighters over head?

27. Where are the flyers?

28. Where are the dinosaurs? Monster things off in the distance?

29. I want to be able to go up behind a dude and snap his neck.......nobody in the world had a game where that happened...nobody...it was awesome........and it was scary as all fuckimg holy hell if someone did it to you.

30. Pilot mobility is better. 2nd weekend they openly said they relaxed it and made it easier. My suggestion is it's not quite there yet.....still needs a little more ease of running and jumping around...

31. Walking around in the Titan feels lethargic. It doesn't feel like I'm in a 100 TON Mech. Not like the feeling in T1. It needs the clunk more.

32. Titan Boost........I forget what it's called.........it feels and sounds blahhhhhh.........it should be loud enough to hear and feel because I'm riding around in a 100 Ton Titan and it will take a big boost to shoot me around the battlefield...

33. The feeling of the game is not in my controller...it's just not there..........I know this because my batteries are lasting longer....lol

34. The Rodeo is horrible...still. I get that it promotes team play to jump on and insert a power cell.

34a. I've said this before. As have many others....the enemy rodeo is fucking stupid. Any monkey can jump on the Titan and then let the computer take over. This is poor design....better than I could do....but this is definately going in the wrong no direction....from the real Titanfall..

35. The ION Titan....pretty much useless......granted when the laser turns on it pretty much melts anything.......but the problem is the MAIN GUN. The Hitmarker sucks.........I can't shoot shit with this fuckimg thing. I try and shoot pilots....grunts...whatever.....and I only hit them sometimes...

36. The red halo around enemy pilots..........it sucks...fucking stupid......get rid of it.......

36a. Yah...I know I mentioned the Red Halo in #2 and # 36. But it's that bad......it needs to go.......they look like witches flying around on broom sticks.....

37. The screen where you pick load outs and attachments...patches......it's too small.........I can't even see what the symbols are...

38. Score screen. It's too small also........I think it should be bigger and have more color.

39. Go back to IMC and MCor.....the new factions are fucking stupid...not sure what the motivation was behind changing the old ones....this is just more proof this game has nothing to do with the original..

40. Titanfall Pilot cloak should be standard........

41. I can't get past how everyone looks pretty much the same......a Spectre that absolutely reminds of the guy in South Africa that mursered his girlfriend and is a sprinter with blades.....they call him blade runner.

42. I have to say it again...the glowing red enemy ifs fuckimg stupid. It's like yelling to the enemy....here I am.....come and shoot me..

43. The game just doesn't feel like Titanfall...I hope Respawn takes a bath on this worthless steaming pile of kangaroo dung..

44. Pilots need to look like Pilots. Am I a Human or am I a robot? Stupid.

45. The neutral drop pods with spectres and grunts need to be faction specific. Why do they all drop on top of each other ? Another poor decision...

• Like Like x 4
  3. Trini Chinese

Trini Chinese Generation 7

yep i agree, i miss the pilots , and the new map only shows and prove a point the maps are very empty warzone feel is not there , camping is still very prominent . if they took out all that ai why not rise the player cap . titans are still eazy to take down and the weapon ads are bad and needs tweaking . by removing what made the first great the game still feel dull , frustrating to enjoy . hope the full game there is more modes that feel way different to bountyhunt because i have said this before the waves that drop in set areas is very boring as you fell like you are forced to go in that location ratere than pilots chose to battle around the map they put some thing in there to bring in the battle. and if you are in a battle on the other side now you have to go all the way on the other side just to shoot at something , whats worse is that by the time you get there you get shot or there is noting remaining to shoot at.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

First of all, I want to salute you KernelClamjuice for having the courage to express your honest opinions when many may want to have their pom poms out. You really nailed a lot of the issues. Thank you for that.

Where Respawn really needs to worry is when Trini is even critical, because he is always going to give you the benefit of the doubt and give you a second chance, third chance, etc. If he is not happy, you are definitely doing something wrong

I apologize that I have a really hard time putting into words why this all bothers me so much, so I felt I had to draw a picture to describe why I am so disturbed by this.

When you look at this picture and look at KernelClamjuice's comments, it is no wonder that articles with titles like this have been written:
    "‘Titanfall 2’ Feels Like a Game Designed by People Who Hated the Original"

upload_2016-8-27_2-46-3.png

• Like Like x 4
  5. KernelClamjuice

Elite Pilot

Updated my above post........

• Like Like x 1
  6. Redsquirrel

Redsquirrel Generation 1

What the holy mother of chicken shit did I just play. The HUD is crap. Bounty hunt needs work how dare u respawn replace attrition with that. This doesn't feel anything like the first one. Titans are weak as hell this could be just because of the ones u let us play with we'll see. Where are the pilots? I understand u feel like u need to help new people who have never played Titanfall before but hell this is ridiculous. I'm not a great player my kd is usually backwards but TF1 was so much fun I could put it down. Hell I even bought it again when going from 360 to xb1. Bring back the chaos get back to the core of Titanfall. The highlighted outline around the enemy is dumb get rid of that. I know this may feel like I'm bashing but hey TF1 is my favorite game of all time and this is just not on the mark as the first. Personally if you delayed the game to make some major changes I'm all for it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

That sentence nails the essence of how a lot of us feel. I agree with that 1000%. Honestly, I don't think it is salvagable. Please look at my picture above and you will see why. You've either removed or tampered with every little thing that made TF1 good and there are some things that would just be too major of a change for you to even put them back (such as putting back the original titan classes and all the loadouts we could get with them).

Personally, I'm almost getting to the point where I don't even want to play TF2 and honestly, I believe spending time on it is a waste of time at this point. As you can see in my picture, you just pulled it so far off course, it would take too much time to even pull it back to TF1's standards.

Therefore, this is what I believe should be done regardless of what you do for TF2. I think your development team should spend time only correcting the 3 major things that are wrong with TF1.
    1) Install a rock-solid matchmaking system.
    2) Install a rock-solid system to permanently exile cheaters to their own cheater server.
    3) Boost the user base. I believe the best way you could do this is by including a free PC download of TF1 with every purchase of TF2.

And that's it. Don't mess with anything else, because TF1 is perfect. That would completely appease me for now.

Then, if you really want to make me happy, put a promise in writing that when you begin working on TF3, you will start with TF1 and not mess with the titans, the pilots, the guns, the loadouts, the movements or pretty much anything, but just maybe add some more maps and content. In other words, at the same time, promise in writing that after this release, you are going to leave TF2 in the graveyard where it belongs and never try to put lipstick on that pig.

P.S. Thank you so much for your first sentence Redsquirrel. That really gave me a good chuckle.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Officialkaze

Officialkaze Generation 1

I've been playing a lot of T1 in between the tech test as to get a feel for each game and their differences.

T2 just doesn't have the life and spirit of its predecessor.

I play hard point, I think amping them is a cool concept.

The first game had levels that were very fluid, a lot of chain based movement opportunities. And they were teeming with detail. These maps feel a little too battlefield if you ask me. Kinda drab and open, combined with the red outline it's open season for anybody.
    I liked the ground forces in T1 it gave the maps more substance. This game being built for this round of hardware means there should be more troops, turrets, mini titans, dragons,... don't crowd the screen just give me more things to shoot on the way to cap a point.
    The pilots look cool but that's about it.
    Everyone should have the grapple if the maps are as open as they are now.
    I also liked generations, it just seemed standard.
    The concept art from T1 was a labor of love and you could tell that. It gave the game it's personality. T2 just feels slightly bland and dumbed down for a larger more casual fanbase.
    T2 needs a little more soul to continue carving out a niche path for itself. You're releasing alongside call of duty (space themed) and battlefield (EA shooter)
    You're falling between the two when you should be your own point on an equalateral triangle of holiday 2016 shooters.... and you're release isnt even an annual one.
    I reached level 15 on the tech test and constantly score the highest on hard point. So trust me I think it's fun.
    T1 was more than fun, it was gripping.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Carlos

Carlos Generation 3

#9 Carlos, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    Regen is a perk. Speaking of perks: STOP automatically adding the perks for me! Let me select the perk on my own! I get you're trying to make people learn the perks, but jesus. Stop. Let me learn on my own, let me do it on my own. If a new perk is live, then, awesome. Let me know. That's all.
    The "icon" to the dropship works the same way as the "Standby for Titanfall!" Speaking of dropships: MAKE THEM RANDOM! Why are you trying to make it one place? So that the enemy team can get our ships easier? NO! Make it harder!
    That map is awesome. It's got a mix between close combat, open space, corridor-style battles, goddamn... everything. All it needs is an underground area. The map reminds me of COD4's Crossfire, the problem is that the map has some camping spots that make spawn traps so fucking easy. But in general, that map encourages ALL types of playstyles. All it needs is better spawns.
    I think the orange and "rubble" design is suppose to make TitanFall ...different from COD or any other FPS.
    ION's gun is pretty powerful, but not too powerful... for balancing reasons. However, countering rodeos needs more attention.
    I agree.
    You know, I was looking at the "results" and was thinking - where are the titan kills? What do I get from killing titans with rodeos? I think we should be rewarded more for taking down titans. It should be a trophy - something. It should mean something, after all it's called....

TITANFALL.
    Dear designers: There are players who play offline, so A.I. in multiplayer is a must.
    I love rodeoing people, but there seriously needs to be a counter for it for players inside the Titans themselves.
    You're supposed to look for red "markers" on titans, once that's up... hit your gun at the titan. The hitmarker will show up, otherwise it's useless on any other "sides" of a titan. I think this was done for balancing.
    You mean meters? WTF? I like seeing health bars so I can know how much longer I need to kill a pilot or a titan.

10. KernelClamjuice

Elite Pilot

Added a couple more...

11. Ninjajedaii

Ninjajedaii Generation 4
    Elite Pilot

After playing the mp test for less than 10 minutes.. Starting to feel heartbroken. I had to go to Dark souls 3 to cheer me up before bed lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Trini Chinese

been playing most of the day , been doing pretty good last game i was frustrating the other team , they keep coming after me lol had 24 kill that one. i have been focus on how long i could keep my titan up , I mean in the game lol and been using the battery as the battery once you have health and not in overload state a certain amount of battery can replenish full health with shields that and have been playing around with the right bumper for laser shot it's a great 1 hit kill defensive and offensive weapon one you practice your shots , it;s not bad been picking pilots off all day lol.
    the main problem i keep having is with the run it keep wobbling when i press down on the left stick it is frustrating as this hinders my escape at times and contribute to me getting killed. the ADS on the CAR really needs some work as the gun in ADS it jumps off target i would have preferred it shoot like the R201 or at lease close to it when ADS .

The cloak needs some tweaking but it works for how it is as it seem to confuse the pilots long enough to get the kill.
    running is still something to be liked as it really could do with a bit of tweaking as at times i wish i could have dash forwarded a bit when clicked to run .

The grenade launcher looks cool but hard to hit targets with it as the energy blast seem slow . the design of the weapon would have been cool for an assault rifle , rather than a grenade launcher that shoots a ball or blast laser .

titan running could do with a bit of tweaking also just a tad too slow but could over looked not that bad once getting used to,

i thing that the pc will have a better time with the control movement as for speed and so on controllers that left stick run is a bit frustrating but manageable . that and the ION shot i think PC players will have this down with no problems.

i have been in games that could be frustrating if started between of a match but once you have a go and groove you should not have any problems, it would have been a much better with more AI and at lease 6 v 6 .

The maps are most defiantly too empty and pilot vs pilot on the same size map make no sense .
    jumping out of a titan seem to need a bit of tweaking it too slow at times and the funny thing is i jump out get a battery and my Titan runs away and am like hey ! hold up ! Stop ! like a car driving off on it's own it stays most of the time lol.

had problems when too close to a friendly titan i i jump out to pick up a battery i jump on the friendly titan . too sensitive .
    the Titan dash feels good no problems there i use it to my advantage.

i also have killed the plane that lands with my Titan fist slamming it into the hull several times a gratifying feeling to vent the frustration of part 2 of course lol .

all in all i thing with a bit of tweaking and AI in the map what is there so far is not that bad one you learn what the features do granted the features still a work but i feel that the end game should be iron out then. if the game maps remain empty like this i will be disappointed.
    I am curious to see what these new Titans can do i so want to play with a Gatling gun Titan with rockets , that and the different pilot weapons hope there is many guns to play with and hope the 40mm and the chain gun makes it in the game to use and able to change Titan load outs .

• Like Like x 1
  13. brett gunning

brett gunning Generation 3

100% agreed

• Like Like x 1
  14. Autumn Wind

Autumn Wind Generation 2

The second weekend of Titanfall 2 was significantly better with the various changes. However, some of the major design changes are questionable and I want to fixate on one aspect that I think should be considered: Titan rechargeable shields.
    After playing this weekend I was able to critically think why I and hundreds of other players were turned off by the lack of Titan rechargeable shields (like in TF1). After thorough playing I feel that the removal of Titan shields does not empower gamers. The feeling of a Titan in the first game gave a sense of immense power because of the size, weapons, and most importantly shields. I think the shields are critical because it allowed people in Titans to generally live longer but also encouraged offensive aggression because of the comfort of a shield. With the assumption that the unrevealed Titans will have ranged weapons this could encourage stagnant games, opposing teams turtling, and making it risky to be aggressive. Ultimately, the sense of "living longer" and encouragement to be aggressive empowers gamers and leads to the most important aspect of gaming : FUN! The more bad ass the player feels the more fun the player is having. It's really uninspiring to be in a monstrous robot that doesn't have a shield when there are lasers, vortex shields, and other technologically advanced equipment. Also, to keep the batteries a focal point I have an idea. If all Titans had shields the batteries would be the source of the rechargeable shield. This will keep the batteries important. It will also go a long way in showing good faith to the people who despise the lack of shields and have written off the game. If that is not something to be considered seriously then this should be. All the Titans should start off with the shield that is acquired with a battery. There is no reason why a fresh new Titan doesn't have a shield but a pilot can pull a battery off your hull.

15. SC Silver

SC Silver Generation 2
    Elite Pilot

I could write a short book on my impression from the two weekends of play. However, for time's sake, I'll leave it to my best and worst...

Worst: The maps feel uninspired. They feel too open, wall run routes feel fairly limited and the ambient sensation of war is gone. (Like the air battle in Fracture)

Best: I found the new tactical abilities to be fun, entertaining and balanced. I didn't sample one that I found to be boring or ineffective.

16. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Overall, I absolutely loved the game. Titanfall is my favorite game of all-time and I maxxed out my levels on PS4 and Xbox One in the tech test. It definitely FEELS like Titanfall to me and I think people just love to parrot what they hear from others but here are some of my criticisms...

1). I don't like the new cone-like radar. I much prefer the old red dot system.
    2). I love the new rodeo mechanic but I feel it shouldn't take as many grenades to kill a Titan
    3). I'm not a fan of Bounty Hunt. They could tweak it to only ever one point and one bank to fight over and it would be fun.

That's all I can really think of for my criticisms of the game. Some points I'd like to address in your post @KernelClamjuice

This is actually very useful to me. If you know where enemies are getting killed, you know where they're most likely spawning and can position and align yourself to best deal with it.

If you read into some Titanfall lore, there are hints about Pilots slowly becoming robots.

Not sure if you dislike or don't know how it works but you can use merits to get unlocks before acquiring them through traditional leveling.

This must be a you problem because I have no trouble. Do you know that aiming the weapon gives it alternate fire? I've taken out so many people as a Gooser with this rifle. Not to mention across maps on top of rooftops.

I have done this....?

This most likely has something to do with the story and the fact that this game takes place far after the original Titanfall so I'm not sure how that's a critique.. it's a new game not a re-skin.

There are also some things I agree with you on but it definitely doesn't look like you'll be picking this game up and to each their own I guess.

17. SC Silver

SC Silver Generation 2
    Elite Pilot

I think the logic behind two banks was to allow more, "Down to the wire," matches.

I could be off base here, but I feel like having a single bank would result in considerably more games ending in landslide victories.

• Like Like x 1
  18. KernelClamjuice

Elite Pilot

Finally got to experience the neck breaking from behind........

It is ok but not as spooky as the 1s person view from the original.

I will admit it's ok compared to the other 3rd person views.....introduced in the game.

What would be really cool is if they go to the 3rd person view in neck cracking where they show all the ass kicking beforehand then right before they do the neck cracking it quickly switches to first person view....for the actual neck crack

• Like Like x 2
  19. KernelClamjuice

Elite Pilot

Could you enlighten me to where your lore came from regarding Pilots morphing or slowly turning into Spectres...?

I thought I was pretty savy with the Titanfall game....but haven't read or seen this anywhere. I'd like to read more about it...

• Like Like x 1
  20. Trini Chinese

• Like Like x 2