To "Re" or not to "Re" that is the question...

Discussion in 'General Titanfall discussion' started by DARK BAWGS, Nov 10, 2016.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. DARK BAWGS

DARK BAWGS Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

“Regen” is it only for Masochists?

Well I finally made it; I am at that crucial moment of deciding should I Regenerate or not. I got to this point on both consoles as I have been alternating my playing time on each.

So now to the question I must answer; “what’s in it for me” (WIIFM). In the words of Xclusive Ace, “…let’s get on with it”:

· Loose – experience and memory – means you start over again, like you were level 1. Unless you “bought” something you loose them and they have to be earned over again. Where is the appeal in this?​

o This means all your weapons, boosts, titans and factions; your progress is frozen until you unlock them. Well at least they are not gone forever, that’s a plus, I think!​

· Keep Gold: if you earned gold you get to keep it – that is nice, but does it help my game play?????​

· Banners & Patches – you really get to keep them; again no game play help. Also get the Gen 2 patch, oh gosh!​

Bottom line appears to be that “regen” only offers some cosmetic changes and a start over - thus you must be part masochist to do so! From my point of view it (regeneration) is meaningless, except I am driven to move forward and so must be “masochistic” by nature. Yes in spite of everything I will do it…

Sadly they (Respawn) didn’t have the foresight to see that when doing so (Regen-ing) you should get some more useful things like attachments for weapon etc. that would make it more worthwhile. This would be a good place to add things back in like grips, suppressors etc. makes regen more worthwhile and I think will keep players in the game longer.

Finally I much prefer the Gen system in TF1 as it gave me a feeling of actually earning the next Gen; this system just rewards me for persistence and not really accomplishing anything except hanging in until I get to that level. Granted this will appeal more to “Tommy Two Thumbs” and it is clearly a page from the likes of COD and BF, unfortunately. But it is getting more T-T-Thumbs into and staying with the game that will make it viable, so be it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. A4eaTransformer

A4eaTransformer Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

You are so right on. Why do the designers think that a new color or patch has any meaning!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  3. DARK BAWGS

DARK BAWGS Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

There is so much more they can do to make Regen something everyone wants to do. For instance make available perks like weapon attachments (you would still have to earn them but now they are available. One perk I would like is that once you earn it if you are Cloaked "Map Hack" and "Sonar" can't see you. Just a thought.

4. Trini Chinese

Trini Chinese Generation 7

dev's and company's have been bullshiting there customers for years , all the things that are in dlc could be incentives and should be incentives to replay the game or any game .
    picture when you play the game campaign on certain levels and you unlock exclusive items to use in multiplayer like a gun or even a titan , why can't we get rewarded with BT 7274 when we beat the game on all difficulties . or even a special pilot and even some guns that you can only unlock in the campaign.

as for the rank regen system when you get to g1 or g2 get a different variant of a weapon that you can only play with if you did certain things in the multiplayer and reach a certain rank.

5. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Doing this would introduce balance issues. For someone who doesn't want to Regenerate, they don't have access to said attachment or ability and now you have an advantage over them. I think that's why they kept it cosmetic (like they did in the first one as it only gave you more room for burn cards and maybe create-a-class slots?) I don't remember exactly because I've been Gen 10 for so long in that game.

6. Trini Chinese

nah there is no difference from anyone who played it at launch till the end of year to a player that plays on xmas day.
    it make no difference and that is an excuse on the devs part and a gamer as yourself . please the concept is to unlock the item and having this does not give any player that big of an advantage , it will be like playing games with players that have the map hack and don't use it.
    unlocking an attachment as a gen 2 to 10 make no real difference in balance as i and many have played games with no items unlock as we may have regen and played against players that would say gen 1 or 2 but have the same experience as a gen 10 and if that did not affect the game then unlocking items for hard work will not.

so i disagree with you on this as it will give players and gamers an option a real reason to regenerate . devs need to step it up and the bullshit camos is pittance and should not be a focus as a feature of their games , its like a car company saying , " Hey our cars have windscreen wipers and cup holders . it will be just another unlock in the game and would be for free .

7. DARK BAWGS

DARK BAWGS Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

You make a good point, so what is your suggestion? I only want to find a way to keep players for the long term. The current game will, sadly, get boring fast and like TF1 people will leave in bulk. My suggestion was to offer perks that first had to be earned and they won't have game changing impact only small performances bumps. Also some counters to "boosts" that type of thing. This type of change may keep players, playing longer which is only good for the game.

I just regenerated yesterday and what a wasted effort. I even lost my viper head banner, one of the few cosmetic things I liked! My only wish is that future upgrades and DLC's make this a game worth playing until TF3. Ever optimistic I trust the developers will take what they learned from TF1andTF2 to make a super game offering the best of both. I think we have to be positive and support the current game but not stop offering constructive feedback.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I'm not sure what you could add to keep people playing but I don't think added boosts or anything will do that. I think the thing that keeps people playing CoD or BF is just name recognition to be honest. For anyone that has played IW, what do you get for Prestiging in that?

I guess it'd be cool to have maybe Titan nose-arts with a cool "Generation so and so" design or maybe exclusive camos. I don't think adding anything in-game is the answer as I think it causes more problems than it solves. I do think they went about the longevity the wrong way (where everything generates) because it just seems like a tedious task now. Should have to perform specific challenges to generate things (similar to TF1) and I don't think it should have been stretched out so much.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DARK BAWGS

DARK BAWGS Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

You are correct and I do agree the challenges in TF1 were much better; in fact they help improve your game if you work at them as you play with weapons and do things you wouldn't normally do, making you a more rounded pilot. I hate to make comparisons as I feel this is a totally different game but there certainly were some good things in TF1 that I wish they had retained. Also some bad things like the Rank system and the Smart Pistol...

10. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

yup, everyone gets a trophy now.

exactly right, more burn cards was the only gain for regenerating.

This was only due to non-existent matchmaking and no anti-cheat system. I never got bored even after 2 years and 7 months, but the lopsided matches and cheaters are still frustrating even to a veteran, so it is no wonder new players would never stay.

Ahhh, we are finally seeing the light. :) You are exactly right about it forcing you to use weapons you would not have used, which makes you more well rounded. Actually, some of those weapons I would have never used are now my favorites. I would also add that there is a sort of hidden and I feel even more important advantage that comes out of it. The absolute best way to learn how to defend a weapon is to learn how to use it and HOW it will be used. For example, let's use the smart pistol, which so many had a problem with. I had no problem with players using it. Why? Because I used it enough to learn how to be extremely effective with it. That does not just involve pulling the trigger, but it involves learning how you have to move while you are using it. If you take the time to learn HOW a weapon is going to be used, then you will know exactly HOW you have to defend against it. If you really used the regen challenges wisely, you not only learned how to use all the weapons, but the best ways to defend against all of them.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RottweilerluvNZ

RottweilerluvNZ Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

#11 RottweilerluvNZ, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    I simply re-gen'd for the hell of it to be honest. I just thought why not.

I didn't find it as exciting as going from Gen 1 - 2 on TF1 though.....with like what everyone says, it doesn't have that expectation of better things to come.

Just more colors. Kind of feels like I am collecting bubble gum cards!

• Like Like x 2
  12. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Feel the exact same way.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BattleReadyPB

BattleReadyPB Generation 5

Not having the challenges kinda sucks. I felt that completing the challenges forced me to improve my skills.
    Now... Not at all.

G 4.46 atm.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ThirdGuyver

ThirdGuyver Generation 6
    Elite Pilot

I liked the tf1 generation challenges, it was like a built in apprenticeship for utilising everything in the game.

As there was talk of a deeper progression system in this game, I must say I'm a little dissapointed. The challenges that are present like, 10 titan kills with the mag launcher - giving a camo, doesnt give me the incentive to do em all.

The gen system is fine as a standalone, but not compared to tf1.

Saying that, I wont rest until I've genned up everything I can on tf2, so that must be a good thing (for me anyhow)

• Like Like x 3
  15. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I was personally just hoping at a minimum they would have removed the cap from the regen system. I believe this would have been fairly easy to do. Just use a random generator to create random, increasingly harder challenges and allow you to get up to Generation 999, Level 50 if you had enough time in your life and wanted to. All I know is after I got to Gen 10, Level 50, I would have really appreciated new and ever increasing challenges to have something to do and to also keep hearing the ching-chings of completing challenges.

• Like Like x 2
  16. DARK BAWGS

DARK BAWGS Generation 5
    Elite Pilot

I agree... I Regenerated and all i could think of was that song "...is that all there is..."! Come on Respawn I hope you are listening as there is a real concern with this process. I know that if that is all there is I won't likely be a long-term player and I won't be alone; it will just be too boring.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Trini Chinese

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Trini Chinese

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Trini Chinese

20. Trini Chinese

put your pc volume up when playing this video.