Twitch Broadcast Walkthrough

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lobby' started by jetli333, Mar 7, 2014.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. jetli333

jetli333 Generation 3

2. pantong51

pantong51 Generation 4

I wonder how the quality will be. Maybe 720low @25fps?

• Like Like x 1
  3. KingOfGaems

KingOfGaems Helpin' you in the best way, day by day.
    Elite Pilot

Ouch if it is.

4. pantong51

pantong51 Generation 4

well if it takes a high end cpu to run at 1080@25 on pc at a usable non partner bitrate i'm gonna guess since xbone has an integrated gpu, on the cpu, that it will beable to at least run 720. im not sure, non the less im super glad they did this, now twitch has more viewers

5. KingOfGaems

KingOfGaems Helpin' you in the best way, day by day.
    Elite Pilot

Not even PS4 runs 1080p. It would be a horrendous move to do any type of 1080p because the Bitrate is gonna be REALLY REALLY low. PS4 Streaming quality is bad, I'm wondering how Xbone will do it.

The reason of the Delay on twitch is mostly because they had to change their video encoding to work with PS4 and Xbone. It's stupid, they're losing people more than gaining, I left because as a caster, I could not work with that delay, I'll stick with HitboxTV.

6. pantong51

pantong51 Generation 4

We will just have to see... But i think most of the console streamers will still use the secondary streaming kits / pc's for their HQ material

• Like Like x 1
  7. Monolyth

Monolyth Generation 10
    Elite Pilot

I see this mostly as one of those "easy access" additions to XB1. Most non-partnered dedicated streamers are going to stick with an external stream PC setup because they will be able to get a lot more resolution & frames packed into smaller bit-rates. Partnered folks are pretty lucky as they can stream very high quality and Twitch will auto-transcode down to lower resolutions, but again they will stick with a dual setup as well for the quality.

So I would say that it would be nice if it was 720p, but more than likely you'll be looking at something slightly lower to save cpu cycles.

As far as streaming 1080p goes, most people don't and there's several reasons why:
    1. Bit-rate: The bit-rate requirements for 1080p streaming, even at low frames, are quite high. You can get away with 3500Kbps (the max recommended by Twitch), but you won't really have a big audience. The requirements for streaming 1080p60 is extremely high (above 6000Kbps at least), not to mention Flash player can't really handle 1080p60. This makes 1080p60 a targeted audience problem.

2. Processing power: Even with a separate stream PC setup you aren't going to be able to get a lot of quality packed into a 1080p broadcast. You'll be stuck streaming @ VeryFast preset which will simply look horrible. And you can forget about 1080p60, you have to invest in some serious workstation (dual processor, not to be confused with dual core) power for that. That and capturing 1080p60 is no small feat either, you will be paying out the nose for a good 1080p60 capture card that receives HDMI.

3. Perceived broadcast quality: I feel this is something most people don't bring up but is extremely important, especially when you stream high motion games (like Titanfall). Bumping your stream resolution and limiting your frames isn't always the best route to take. The reason being that if you are gaming @ 60FPS and streaming @ 30FPS you are going to lose frame information. This translates into a blocky mess on the stream because it is basically attempting to transition wildly different frames. So in fact it is better to stream at lower resolutions with higher frames. While it doubles processing power it makes high motion content watchable at bit-rates like 2500Kbps. This is why I stream PC @ 720p60.

That being said, you can stream games like XCOM, Civilization at higher resolutions with lower frame-rates because there's not a lot of activity on the screen.

8. pantong51

pantong51 Generation 4

Its why i use a setup like 2, although im most likely gonna step downt o 720@60 instead of 1080@30